Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Archived Discussions » Professional Graphics Discussion
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Professional Graphics Discussion Discussion and technical support forum for ATIs lineup of professional level graphics cards

Old Jul 28, 2004, 03:56 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
seiko

seiko is still being judged by the masses

Default FireGL T2 using catalyst drivers?

Can someone please help me, I'd like to try and install the latest Cats on my IBM Thinkpad T41p. Is there a guide to getting them to install or a prepackaged version of them somewhere?

Many thanks,

Old Aug 25, 2004, 10:39 AM   #2
billou2k
Radeon R200

billou2k is still being judged by the masses

Well i dont have a T41p but I have a FireGl X1 and I'd like to be able to install the catalyst instead of the fireGL drivers cause i've got some bugs on games and fireGL drivers are not specially released on a regular basis and anyway they dont optimise them for games...
So if anybody got an idea how to do that I'd like to hear about it too!
thanks
Radeon8500LE
SB audigy player
Old Aug 28, 2004, 08:31 AM   #3
Sparky1
Radeon R420

Sparky1 is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by billou2k
Well i dont have a T41p but I have a FireGl X1 and I'd like to be able to install the catalyst instead of the fireGL drivers cause i've got some bugs on games and fireGL drivers are not specially released on a regular basis and anyway they dont optimise them for games...
So if anybody got an idea how to do that I'd like to hear about it too!
thanks
Yeah, I've got the FGL X1 128 also......... I'd like to know if there is a way to install the CATS on this thing.
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Aug 28, 2004, 05:42 PM   #4
dogbait

dogbait is still being judged by the masses

First try the latest FireGL drivers:
http://www.schneider-digital.de/html/download_ati.php

Or simply download Omega Man's latest modded drivers:
http://www.omegadrivers.net/
(donate a few bucks to the guy for his work if it saves you from having to do the following driver modding)

If you really want to modify the Cat's to work on the FireGL, you will have to edit the INF and the INI install files.

For the INF files:

For the FireGL X1 128MB the device codes are as below, but for any other FireGL card, the device codes can be found in the corresponding driver. So for the X2 the device code to add to the Cat .INF file would be found in the corresponding FireGL .INF file and likewise with the .INI files.

In the 2KXP_INF folder, find where it says [ATI.Mfg]

Delete everything under that subsection and replace it with

[ATI.Mfg]
"RADEON 9700 PRO" = ati2mtag_R300, PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_4E47&SUBSYS_01721002
"RADEON 9700 PRO - Secondary" = ati2mtag_R300, PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_4E67&SUBSYS_01731002

Do that with the C2_*.INF file if you have W2K and the CX_*.INF file if you have Windows XP.

Then you need to download RivaTuner.

Open it, click on the "power user" tab.
Click "ok" on that lame ass warning.
Click on the 3rd little icon from the left on the bottom that says "open Patch script".
It will open inside the RivaTuner folder, Click on the "PatchScripts" folder.
Click on the "ATI" Folder.
Click on the "SoftR9x00" folder.
Click on "SoftR9x00 w2k.rts" unless you're running 9x still...
Click "Open".
On the bottom, make sure it says "force RADEON 9700 capabilities"
Click "Continue"
Browse into your catylist folder and look for the ati2mtag.sys file whever you extracted your drivers. (usually C:\ATI\SUPPORT)

That will allow you to manually install the drivers through Device Manager.

To install them through the setup utility you need to change the two .INI files CX_*.INI and INSTALL.INI (or C2_*.INI if you W2K) and modify corresponding OS section like so:

[WINXP]
Label=R6
R6=DriverPath_R6,0x4E47:0x01721002
DriverPath_R6=\2KXP_INF,CX_*.INF

(0x4E47 being DeviceID and 0x01721002 the SubsystemID + SubsytemVendorID for the FireGL X1)

Do note that the last bit, the CX_*.INF should be the .INF filename you have just modded.

And that's a wrap, apologies if there are any errors in there, let me know if it works for you, if not I'll be happy to help.