Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Community and Site Discussions » Off Topic Lounge
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Off Topic Lounge Discuss anything you want here folks. A place for computer junkies to boldly post Off Topic... Rant and rave if it is necessary, but just try to keep it clean!

Old Feb 12, 2020, 09:46 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
cbsboyer
ATI EGA Wonder

cbsboyer once held a door open for a complete strangercbsboyer once held a door open for a complete strangercbsboyer once held a door open for a complete strangercbsboyer once held a door open for a complete stranger

Default People still don't read the TOS...

I was looking at a few online "deep dream" AI photo filter websites a while ago, and clearly people simply don't read the Terms of Service.

On the sites I looked at, deep down in the middle of the wall of legalese was a clause that by using the service, you are permanently giving them rights to keep and use any images you run through their filter for ads, promotions, marketing, publications, merchandise, and so on, and also giving them the rights to sell, lease, or trade them with any third party of their choice without compensation or credit.

That means anyone who used them just gave away their pictures to these companies to use or sell them in any way they see fit (or if a third party does) without giving the creator a dime, a voice if used for ads or campaigns, or even crediting them as the original author.

"Relationships are like dormant volcanoes, most of the time things are fine or manageable but there's always a chance she blows molten crazy all over you." - ice
cbsboyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2020, 10:18 AM   #2
Omega53
Rage veteran

Omega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbsboyer View Post
I was looking at a few online "deep dream" AI photo filter websites a while ago, and clearly people simply don't read the Terms of Service.

On the sites I looked at, deep down in the middle of the wall of legalese was a clause that by using the service, you are permanently giving them rights to keep and use any images you run through their filter for ads, promotions, marketing, publications, merchandise, and so on, and also giving them the rights to sell, lease, or trade them with any third party of their choice without compensation or credit.

That means anyone who used them just gave away their pictures to these companies to use or sell them in any way they see fit (or if a third party does) without giving the creator a dime, a voice if used for ads or campaigns, or even crediting them as the original author.

I'd love to see this actually hold up in court. I seriously doubt it'd hold up. For instance, I could claim someone else loaded my pictures into the app without my consent, therefore they have no claim to the pictures. Seems pretty easy to get around.
Omega53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2020, 10:53 AM   #3
Munkus
Hugged your dog lately?

Munkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation

I've never read a single TOS or EULA. Probably should, but...

HOWEVER, it's not surprising. All of these free services you use, like Instagram, Snapchat, Facebook, Google, etc, sell data about you to advertisers or mine your personal data for profit of some kind. But the OP is right, most people don't understand that because they don't read the fine print.
Munkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Feb 12, 2020, 11:00 AM   #4
GSGRUNT
No chops 🎸

GSGRUNT knows why the caged bird singsGSGRUNT knows why the caged bird singsGSGRUNT knows why the caged bird singsGSGRUNT knows why the caged bird singsGSGRUNT knows why the caged bird sings

I assume anything I upload anywhere is free for anyone to use in anyway they want.
Old Feb 12, 2020, 11:34 AM   #5
Fleksta
Radeon R700

Fleksta is still being judged by the masses

People are still surprised by this sort of thing? Nothing is free.
Fleksta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2020, 12:05 PM   #6
jimmyboy
Walk it off!

jimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesjimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesjimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesjimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesjimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesjimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesjimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesjimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesjimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munkus View Post
I've never read a single TOS or EULA. Probably should, but...

HOWEVER, it's not surprising. All of these free services you use, like Instagram, Snapchat, Facebook, Google, etc, sell data about you to advertisers or mine your personal data for profit of some kind. But the OP is right, most people don't understand that because they don't read the fine print.
Exactly.

Plus most people probably don't care anyway. They want what they want, and they want it right now. The future won't matter!
jimmyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2020, 12:10 PM   #7
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Lazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

I read them

Then I just assume there's loopholes.
Old Feb 12, 2020, 12:12 PM   #8
Sasquach
2/10 will not bang

Sasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Of course not
No one wants to read a wall of text in legalese that is 5+ pages long.
AMD Ryzen 5 2600X @ 3.6ghz
Asus Prime B450M A/CSM
2 x 8GB G-Skill DDR4 2666
Dell E2210 (22" widescreen) monitor + AMD Radeon R9 290
Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200.12 SATA
Seagate Barracuda 2TB SATA
Sennheiser PC350 Xense edition headset
Sasquach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2020, 12:27 PM   #9
Athena
Radeon Caribbean Islands

Athena once held a door open for a complete strangerAthena once held a door open for a complete strangerAthena once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquach View Post
Of course not
No one wants to read a wall of text in legalese that is 50+ pages long.
Fixed

They make that crap crazy long for no reason but to make it not worth your time but not to read it. And that will be my defense if I ever have to go to court.
Old Feb 12, 2020, 04:41 PM   #10
DaJMasta
Baffoonist

DaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy8s View Post
I read them

Then I just assume there's loopholes.

There can be, but a lot of times the Terms of Service plainly state something like "these terms are binding and can change in any way, at any time, at the discretion of the company".... so does it even matter anymore?

It's a catch all if they need to update them, and probably hasn't been used to arbitrarily change terms to dodge a pending lawsuit, but I think the wording of these things usually just denies the user rights explicitly, then covers the company's own ass, and nothing else. There are some that are less blanket (maybe cheaper lawyers?), but I find the first few clauses or the summaries/update outlines to ToS changes to be the most valuable in terms of things that actually may effect you.

If you go into a license agreement for a free service with the expectation that:
They will collect and use anonymized data from you and use it for their purposes
They will collect and use data to market directly to you
You don't exclusively own any content specifically uploaded to their service
They will dodge any liability for anything you do on their service
They will dodge liability for things they do that could negatively effect you on their service
You don't own anything purchased through their service that is not a tangible, physical object.

Then you've covered most of your bases and probably don't need to pay very close attention to a user agreement. If you're creating content on the service, using it for business purposes, or are uploading detailed personal information to it, then you probably want to check the user agreement to be sure. Otherwise, just limit the information you give any service to what they require to get what you want. That way if they start using it in ways you don't like, if there's a security breach, or whatever... you minimize the potential for damage to you.
Desktop: Intel Core i7 7770k : 16GB EVGA DDR4 2400 : Gigabyte GTX 1070 Ti Windforce X2 : Gigabyte GA-H270-WIFI : AudioQuest DragonFly DAC : Samsung SM961 NVMe 1TB SSD : Corsair Builder 500W PSU : Samsung 1440p 32" Monitor : Klipsch Promedia 2.1 : Windows 10 Pro x64
Tablet: Microsoft Surface Pro 4 : Intel Core i5-6300U : 8GB DDR3 : Intel 520 Integrated : 256GB SSD : 12.3" 2736x1824 display : Windows 10 Pro x64
HTPC: Intel Core i3 3225 : HD 4000 integrated : 8GB Samsung DDR3 1600 : Gigabyte H77N-Wifi : 120GB Sandisk Extreme SSD : 80W power brick and picoPSU150 XT : Integrated HD Audio : Scepter 32" LCD TV : Logitech Z313 2.1 : Windows 7 Pro x64

DaJMasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2020, 06:54 PM   #11
nutcrackr
OT Moderator

nutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Anything you "upload" to another server should be considered public
nutcrackr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2020, 11:25 AM   #12
gamefoo21
Rage Furry X

gamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badges

I've found reviews for things I've done reposted under different names and often they don't even bother to remove my watermarks.

LoL

I uploaded them onto public forums, so I can't really be too grumpy about it.

Heatware
gamefoo21 is offline   Reply With Quote