Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

Old Aug 26, 2018, 01:46 AM   #31
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Galmok
Rage3D Veteran

Galmok is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by daPhoenix View Post
Do you think Google is going to sit by idly and let companies do this in the future if more big name publishers start bypassing Google Play?

Soon you'll find yourself in a situation where you can no longer install non-store signed applications.
If that happens, then Android has lost its purpose and people might as well by iPhones. The openness of Android is what attracts people. It Google locks it up, Android will loose its attractiveness.

But I expect Android development will get forked and worked on by other parties then.
Galmok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2018, 09:31 AM   #32
Athena
Radeon Volcanic Islands

Athena can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyAthena can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Seems like this kind of game would be tuff to play on a phone. I tried Mass Effect, Batman and Dues Ex on the phone and I signed up for this, but I am thinking I will end up like those other 3 games and be back at Clash of Clans and Goddess Kiss after giving up on the frustrating game play. Phones and FPS just do not seem to work.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 10:03 AM   #33
logical
What is my purpose?

logical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galmok View Post
If that happens, then Android has lost its purpose and people might as well by iPhones. The openness of Android is what attracts people. It Google locks it up, Android will loose its attractiveness.

But I expect Android development will get forked and worked on by other parties then.
Maybe for the niche people. I dont think I know any regular person who sideloads any apps.

The main draw for Android for normal people is "its not apple" Just being competition is enough to draw a ton of people over who just dont like or want Apple products.

If Google locked their apps down in their own ecosystem today they would lose a few customers(initially, angry people) and then gain them back like any other company.

logical is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Aug 28, 2018, 10:00 AM   #34
GTwannabe
Radeon Evergreen

GTwannabe can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyGTwannabe can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyGTwannabe can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

GTwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2018, 01:55 PM   #35
Athena
Radeon Volcanic Islands

Athena can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyAthena can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTwannabe View Post
Hahaha, pwned!
What do you mean? Google, Epic or the gamers?
Old Aug 28, 2018, 02:57 PM   #36
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
But it's worth noting that this flaw falls under Google's zero-day disclosure policy in which if it believes the flaw is a dangerous enough it will only provide a 7-day deadline for software firms to patch the bug.
Seems important.
Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2018, 04:35 PM   #37
Athena
Radeon Volcanic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
Seems important.
Very, the problem comes in when Google presses like they did here and in the past, as with the Specter press release, they give complete information on how to exploit the bug to the bad guys. In the Specter case this caused Intel and MS to release a dodgy patch and ruined a lot of PCs. Our bank has a couple bricked PCs as a result before we stopped patching with the rushed patch. In this Fortnite the good patch was out in plenty of time but not all users had had the time to install it before Google put out the press release. Epic was cranky about that.

companies like Epic, Intel and MS are just trying to get Google to play nice and Google is just trying to get companies to patch their crappy software and hardware. I see both sides. If no one held companies feet to the fire you know full well the patches would never come. But putting the full details on how to exploit the bugs of your rivals software and hardware is a fun win for Google too be sure.