Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

Old May 31, 2018, 02:42 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Athena
Radeon Sea Islands

Athena can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyAthena can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Cool New Iphone

So my work place upgraded me to a new Iphone 8 plus. (They are tired of asking about I-products and having me answer they should get Android like me)
I have used Android since there have been smart phones.

What do I need to know? I already find the lack of back button confusing so that will take getting used to.

Also what apps are a must have on the Apple side of life.

And last but not least what is cool in the land of Apple?
Old May 31, 2018, 02:49 PM   #2
Munkus
Hugged your dog lately?

Munkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation

This question might be better answered in the Smartphone forum:
http://www.rage3d.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=108

As for apps, most of the same apps that are available for Android have iOS versions as well.
Munkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2018, 05:08 PM   #3
logical
What is my purpose?

logical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athena View Post
So my work place upgraded me to a new Iphone 8 plus. (They are tired of asking about I-products and having me answer they should get Android like me)
I have used Android since there have been smart phones.

What do I need to know? I already find the lack of back button confusing so that will take getting used to.

Also what apps are a must have on the Apple side of life.

And last but not least what is cool in the land of Apple?
There are plenty of things to learn. Google for most of them. If you want to go back slide left to the center.

logical is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old May 31, 2018, 05:38 PM   #4
Athena
Radeon Sea Islands

Athena can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyAthena can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munkus View Post
This question might be better answered in the Smartphone forum:
http://www.rage3d.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=108

As for apps, most of the same apps that are available for Android have iOS versions as well.
Thanks for the move, but not asking what is the same in the land of Apple, I am asking what is different.

Looking to learn to what the different koolaid is like
Old May 31, 2018, 06:04 PM   #5
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Lazy8s achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmLazy8s achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmLazy8s achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmLazy8s achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmLazy8s achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmLazy8s achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmLazy8s achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmLazy8s achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmLazy8s achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmLazy8s achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmLazy8s achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

There isn't much different these days other than the level of enjoyment or frustration you might get out of a particular OS.

Apple:

Fitness app if you get the watch. I'm currently an Apple hater but they did a great job on that watch and app.

Photos - I suggest digging through the icloud (if you use it) settings and disabling anything that uploads to the cloud. Other docs and such are easy to dl later if you want them, photos not so much.

itunes isn't great lol, but it's nice for backing up what you desire on a pc, although your work may require backups to the cloud as does mine.

Other than that, there are apps for most of anything someone might be into, so Google indeed for your areas of interest and see what catches your attention.

Although I prefer Android by a few light years, the tow aren't as different as Apple would have people think, regarding apps and what you can do anyway.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 09:52 AM   #6
Sasquach
2/10 will not bang

Sasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badges

turn off all icloud autoupload stuff before you do anything with photos.
Its just one big pain in the ass to reset if you do it after the fact.

The apple home button...biggest thing to get used to. I came from windows mobile/10/phone so I also had a back button. The lack thereof on apple took a bit getting used to. But that home button also does everything else....home, back, multitask/task switch, etc. I'm used to it now but I'm not sure I actually like how the one button is used for everything.....

No need to fiddle around with customization all that much, there isn't a whole lot (Move icons, combine icons into folders, and change background images is pretty much all there is) However if your icons on the main page need to go onto the next screen, I find that you have to move them to that static bottom bar (4 icon slots) before you can move it to the next page as it doesn't seem like you can hold an icon at the edge of the screen and have the page change for you....its a bit cumbersome that way (not sure how android works in that regard, but win10 was one giant scroll list so if I wanted to move icons around I just move it to the bottom or top of the screen and let it autoscroll to a free spot.

you long press the icons to be able to move them...but then you have to press the home button to confirm when you're all done moving stuff around.

I do find that everything is available and just works on apple though once you can wrap your head around all the finicky apple quirks.
Zalman CNPS9900LED on AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE @ 3.2ghz
Gigabyte GA-MA790FXT-UD5P
4gb Patriot Viper Series Low Latency DDR3 1600
8gb Patriot Gamer 2 series Performance DDR3 1600
Dell E2210 (22" widescreen) monitor + AMD Radeon R9 290
Western Digital Caviar Black 500gb 7200RPM SATA
Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200.12 SATA
Sennheiser PC350 Xense edition on Asus Xonar Xense
Sasquach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2018, 10:58 AM   #7
Athena
Radeon Sea Islands

Wow no real stand outs I will turn off that auto update stuff thanks for the tips.

The MDM software install on my phone is buggy as heck. I have installed MDM on many Apple devices so not sure what is different other than this is the 1st one with the new 11.4 OS update. grrr

Any of you Apple IT guys have a good WIFI signal scanner app?