Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Archived Discussions » Radeon Technical Support
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Radeon Technical Support Radeon technical support forum for all Radeon products from the classic Radeon to the latest cutting edge family of graphics cards.

Old Jul 25, 2004, 01:46 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Spyder
Radeon Sea Islands

Spyder is still being judged by the masses

Default Display randomly garbles. Pls help! pic included.

Hello,

I've never seen anything like this so I have no idea even where to begin.

Seemingly at random, all of a sudden my ATI radeon 9800pro will scramble the screen with many different lines of color and my mouse turns into a big black square. The system isn't frozen as the black square still moves around when i move the mouse. If I click where start is supposed to be, the lines on the screen change etc so the start menu is opening. This occurs in both windows and in games. When it happens in games, the game is still playing so the system hasn't froze.

The only 2 things I've changed recently are installing Radlinker and adding another 2 sticks of 256mb of RAM to my system. I've had them in a week and the display has done this maybe 5 or 6 times now. I dont see how the RAM could affect it?

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling drivers. I've just now removed radlinker. I don't want to take out the memory as I don't see how its related. If it was memory, would I not get a bluescreen or my pc freeze or something?

My system is:
windows xp pro sp2 rc2
cat 4.7
p4 2.6c
asus p4p800
4x256mb DDR400 ram
ati radeon 9800 pro
380w antec trupower p/s

pls help me here. why would my display suddenly go to garbage like this? how do i fix this?

Old Jul 26, 2004, 09:06 AM   #2
Spyder
Radeon Sea Islands

i thought i'd share my troubleshooting so far.

with the new ram in, i ran prime95 and got a hardware failure msg in it. so i've since taken out the RAM and testing again, so far with no problems.

BUT.. i took out the new RAM and the screen still garbled like above. So it can't be the new ram causing the problem. HOWEVER... I noticed that when I put in 1gb of RAM, the agp aperture in the BIOS doubled on its own. it went from 32 to 64. When I took out the new ram, it didnt lower it back to 32.

So... I've lowered the agp aperture back to 32 and i've yet to see the screen go wonky like in the pic above. assuming thats whats causing the problem, why would an increase in agp aperture cause the screen to mess up like that?

/edit.. one other thing i thought i'd mention is i've been monitoring the voltage, and the 12+ rail drops to as low as 10.4 when the new ram is in. now that i've taken it out, it doesnt drop below 11.5

Last edited by Spyder : Jul 26, 2004 at 09:27 AM.
Old Jul 26, 2004, 03:08 PM   #3
Spyder
Radeon Sea Islands

ok i tested the RAM with prime95. failed on the first test. went and got different stuff.. solid for an hour and half. good for me.

so replaced ram. 12+ rail stays pretty much consistant at 11.855 now and display hasn't borked yet. agp aperture still at 32mb. havent moved it back to 64mb to see if display borks with replacement ram.

i can troubleshoot this but I don't understand the whys here. it would be nice if anyone might want to share some theories on why this might have been happening. thx
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jul 26, 2004, 03:38 PM   #4
Pr()ZaC
Banned

Pr()ZaC is still being judged by the masses

Subscriber

64MB should be the minimum setting. In Windows, the AS is set by windows itself so you might have 32 in the BIOS but 64 in Windows.
Old Jul 27, 2004, 08:57 AM   #5
Spyder
Radeon Sea Islands

hi prozac.. thanks for the reply. My motherboard (asus p4p800) actually uses 32mb as its default setting (known by choosing "load setup defaults"). I had yet to experience the display corruption after reducing it back to 32mb agp aperture. Odd eh?

Anyways, I wanted to follow up with this yet again. In one of the above posts, I mentioned that the +12V rail constantly fluctuated. I decided to call Antec tech support. I told them how low and high it went in its fluctuating range and the guy immediately said the PS was failing. So in short, all of these issues could very well have been caused by that. I've sent it off for an RMA.

Thanks for listening folks.
Old Aug 25, 2004, 10:08 AM   #6
Spyder
Radeon Sea Islands

This will be the final post in this thread for the sake of completion.

I received my replacement antec truepower 380w PS on Aug. 16th and have yet to experience the issue above. Looks like it was the power supply not giving the card enough juice when it needed it.

Hope this thread helps someone else at some point.