Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

Old Jul 7, 2019, 12:54 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Default 9900K build

So just doing some brief stress-testing while BF5 downloads.

Quick dirty setup has XMP enabled @ 3200 CL16 1T, 5Ghz all-core with a -1 AVX offset. Using realbench to stress, which has AVX load, meaning I'm benching at 4.9Ghz. Using LL Level 7 gives me roughly equal voltage under-load, and with that being said, I started off at 1.32v on the vCore and I'm now down to 1.24v under-load. At this voltage I'm going to move up to 5.1 and see if it holds. To be quite honest, stress-testing with an AVX load seems unnecessary. Temps are pretty brutal even with an H100; I'm hitting 88c+ on all cores. Funny though, as you do see a noticeable drop even with incremental voltage reduction. I may need to re-TIM the chip and/or get a new cooler. This H100 pump makes some weird sounds when it's set to Extreme. I've ran it on Quiet mode for so long that I forgot it even does that -- my 6700K was cool as a cucumber.
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2019, 12:56 AM   #2
KAC
That postcount though...

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

You be thinking about too many cucumbers lately.
Congrats on the new build. I would throw in a 9900K myself but my 8086K is doing me well plus I need to mine so don't need 80 C temps within the frame.
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2019, 12:44 PM   #3
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

This chip or board hates Loadline level 8 (max). It's the only way I can get the idle and load voltages to match, otherwise I get heavy vdroop even on level 7. However, I'm getting BSOD's at LL8 even at 1.28v even though LL7 gives me 1.25v under load with the same speeds.

Not used to that. Every other chip I've owned loved more LLC.

So far 5.1Ghz seems to be my sweet spot. No matter how hard I push voltage 5.2Ghz will not play nice - if I could get the chip cooler I might be able to get it 24/7-able but with the amount of heat I'm putting out, I can't afford to increase voltage. Right now I'm trying to lower it everywhere to drop temps.
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jul 7, 2019, 02:16 PM   #4
KAC
That postcount though...

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Not sure about the new chip but I backed down my 8086K to a good 4.8. Required about 0.06 less volts and runs about mid 60s instead of 70s. Was worth it. 1 FPS difference in gaming. About 500 pts in benches.
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2019, 03:07 PM   #5
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Figured out some of the voltages. 5.1 stable @ 1.235v realbench stable. Lowered the VCCSA voltage and that helped get temps down. I’m hitting low 80s now on a heavy AVX load instead of low-mid 90s.

Time to start gaming!
Old Jul 7, 2019, 08:27 PM   #6
andino
Radeon Arctic Islands

andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

I'll join the club. I got a 9900k and a Asus Maximus XI Formula. 32 gig of cl14 3200 ram.

The MB pricing and the chipset fan really turned me off. Also, I found that AMD builds were having issues with VR. My family play VR a lot.
andino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2019, 08:29 PM   #7
andino
Radeon Arctic Islands

andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Haven't messed with OCing it that much yet. It's like night and day over my old 4770k though.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 09:44 PM   #8
andino
Radeon Arctic Islands

Haven't done much. Set all the cores up to 50. Core Voltage is at 1.280.
Stress testing now with Intel Extreme Tuner. Been running for 35 mins and the temp is 70c. It drops down to 65c from time to time. Idle temps are at 30c.

I thought these were supposed to run super hot. This isn't that bad actually. Especially for sitting at 5GHz on all cores.

It gets hot as snot with Cinebench. It hit 78c on a run. I might want to drop that back 1 or 2.

But yeah, all around impressed so far with it.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 10:29 PM   #9
Nunz
RIP Roxen

I don't think Intel Extreme Tuner is running an AVX load, explains why your temps are low-ish. I use Realbench

1.28 underload seems high for 5Ghz. Try dropping it a bit. I found Load Line LVL 7 to be the best. It has some vdroop under load but the chip seems to like it.

Oh, and make sure you manually enter the System Agent (VCCSA) voltage and the other one .. i forgot what it's called. It's next to the VCCSA option in BIOS. Auto will crank it up way too high and it creates a LOT of extra heat ..
Old Jul 8, 2019, 12:26 AM   #10
andino
Radeon Arctic Islands

This was pretty helpful.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 12:50 AM   #11
Nunz
RIP Roxen

His VCCIO and System Agent voltages are both quite high. I have them set to 1.05 and 1.0625 respectively. He recommends raising them for stability but I don’t see why you’d need to jump all the way to 1.15; the temp increase is pretty hardcore.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 03:48 AM   #12
andino
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunz View Post
His VCCIO and System Agent voltages are both quite high. I have them set to 1.05 and 1.0625 respectively. He recommends raising them for stability but I don’t see why you’d need to jump all the way to 1.15; the temp increase is pretty hardcore.
Running cooler now. Cinebench run has me max at 73c with a score of 4837. That's with the 1 offset on AVX.

Went to 1.27 and had issues so I bumped it up to 1.28 and it's smooth as butter now.

Running RealBench.

Image Editing: 247075
Time: 21.5643

Encoding: 220191
Time: 24.1971

OpenCL: 237185
KSamples/sec: 43661

Heavy Multitasking: 186504
Time: 40.9214

System Score: 222738

Last edited by andino : Jul 8, 2019 at 04:00 AM.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 08:33 AM   #13
Omega53
Rage veteran

Omega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Waiting for Intel to drop the 9900k's price by about $150 and then ill buy
Omega53 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2019, 10:37 AM   #14
andino
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega53 View Post
Waiting for Intel to drop the 9900k's price by about $150 and then ill buy
I don't know that they will. At least for a while. They don't have to drop the price because AMD didn't beat them.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 10:49 AM   #15
Greasy
Raiding Curio's Stable

Greasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
Originally Posted by andino View Post
I don't know that they will. At least for a while. They don't have to drop the price because AMD didn't beat them.
I bet they will sooner than you might think. The 3700K is a lot cheaper, and performs really close to the 9900K. The 9900 is faster, but not $150 faster. Then again this is intel we're talking about here, so they probably won't touch pricing.
Greasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2019, 11:34 AM   #16
andino
Radeon Arctic Islands

Asus Crosshair VIII Formula is $700 on newegg
AMD 3800x is $400 on newegg

Total of $1100.00

Crosshair Maximus XI is $491 on newegg
9900k is $484 on amazon

Total of $975.00

And there is no annoying ass fan. I read some reddit posts complaining about that damn fan already.

Old Jul 8, 2019, 01:27 PM   #17
Nunz
RIP Roxen

I got my chip for $450 @ Microcenter and the board for $229 open-box, then the $30 bundle savings. Overall cost me $450 for chip and $199 for the board. Works out in my favor. Plus I would have needed to buy new RAM if I went AMD.

I've got this thing running fantastic @ 5.1, and I'm getting a new H100i next weekend. I've realized the pump is dying on this one; it's working normally as far as I can tell, but when the pump is set to full speed, it's making a clicking sound. Will be replacing it with the 280mm one.

@andino - make sure you don't use the ASUS XMP setting. I had it running on XMP1 which was an ASUS "optimized" form of the XMP .. well it was causing BSOD's left and right ONLY in games (would realbench for 2 hours no problem) and I couldn't figure out why. Changed it to the standard GSKILL determined XMP (XMP2 in BIOS) and it's working as it should again.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 01:37 PM   #18
andino
Radeon Arctic Islands

I went with XMP2 for my timings. They are a little looser. Still does well.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 01:58 PM   #19
Nunz
RIP Roxen

XMP2 is the actual XMP setting that your sticks are told to use. XMP1 is some weird ASUS "tweak" that tries to tighten timings up for you. All it did was cause BF5 to BSOD every 15min..
Old Jul 8, 2019, 10:25 PM   #20
andino
Radeon Arctic Islands

Battlefield V is so smooth. It's like it's a new game for me. The lows aren't noticeable with the 9900k. With the 4770k when it would hit a heavy workload you could tell because the FPS would drop. The FPS drops are still there but not as much and just aren't as dramatic.

Old Jul 9, 2019, 05:35 PM   #21
the_sextein
Radeon Evergreen

the_sextein knows why the caged bird singsthe_sextein knows why the caged bird singsthe_sextein knows why the caged bird singsthe_sextein knows why the caged bird singsthe_sextein knows why the caged bird sings

For a while I ran an all core OC of 5Ghz with a -1 offset for AVX mode at 1.27V core and a load line level 6. it passed hours of Prime 95 torture tests. Temps hit the 80's in prime but 100% AVX load in the real world via 3D rendering never went over 75C. Cinebench @5Ghz was staying under 70C and gaming stayed around 55-60C. Idle at 30C.

VCCIO and System Agent levels depend on how fast your RAM is and how hard you are pushing it. I needed 1.15 and 1.2 to get 4000Mhz C16 on my RAM.

I also overclocked the cache from 4300Mhz to 4700Mhz without issue.

Prime 95 AVX [email protected] all core. You can see my CPU pulled 220 Watts at it's peak during this test!

Cinebench @5ghz all core.
the_sextein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2019, 12:07 AM   #22
Nunz
RIP Roxen

I pulled a 2192 @ 5.1Ghz all-core w/ Cache @ 4.5Ghz. Would probably be higher if it wasn't for my garbage 3200 CL16 ram.

Last edited by Nunz : Jul 10, 2019 at 12:12 AM.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 02:42 AM   #23
andino
Radeon Arctic Islands

I don't believe that I've ever overclocked cache before.

Honestly, I'm just super happy that I can hit 5.0 on all cores easily. I'm -1 for AVX and 1.285v now. Temps are under 80c on Real Bench now with 2 hour runs. I had a bunch of sub 80c runs with Cinebench R20.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 07:17 AM   #24
the_sextein
Radeon Evergreen

the_sextein knows why the caged bird singsthe_sextein knows why the caged bird singsthe_sextein knows why the caged bird singsthe_sextein knows why the caged bird singsthe_sextein knows why the caged bird sings

From what I read, the cache should be about 300Mhz lower than your all core clock. So 4700Mhz is where you would want it with a 5Ghz overclock. I passed about an hour of prime 95 testing with a 5Ghz AVX OC and decided the power draw and temps were not acceptable. The chip was pulling 250 Watts and reached 92C. Even if real world temps are 10C lower than that, I don't want my chip operating at 80C for hours if my GPU's get kicked out when I'm doing 3D art.

I can manage 5.2 Ghz non AVX at 3.8V and the temps are in the upper 60's when gaming. lower 80's when benchmarking but I won't go higher than 4.9Ghz with my chip in AVX mode. It's not the voltage, it's the heat. Really, 5Ghz is all that I wanted when I bought the chip though. Sometimes I think I would be better off just leaving it at 5Ghz like I had it set for the tests I posted above. I can get away with less voltage and heat. I may switch back to it eventually. I always push things a little harder when I first get them. I was playing games at 5.3Ghz non AVX without issues but my stress testing failed at 1.4V so I called it quits on that idea.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 08:31 AM   #25
demo
space cadet

demo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Nice scores man, care to post single thread results? I'm thinking about swapping my 8700k out for 9900k but not sure it's worth it.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 11:21 AM   #26
Nunz
RIP Roxen

I’ve read cache should be within 500Mhz. I just haven’t touched it yet. Not looking for extra heat and I kinda wanted to enjoy some gaming first. Once I replace this Corsair AIO that’s going bad I’ll likely mess with cache speeds.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 12:44 PM   #27
the_sextein
Radeon Evergreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by demo View Post
Nice scores man, care to post single thread results? I'm thinking about swapping my 8700k out for 9900k but not sure it's worth it.
Sure but I can't at the moment. I don't mind posting it later when I'm home. You want to see Cinbench 20 single threaded performance? Do you want to see the 9900K's default 5Ghz single core speed or do you want to see 5.2Ghz?
Old Jul 10, 2019, 12:49 PM   #28
the_sextein
Radeon Evergreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunz View Post
I’ve read cache should be within 500Mhz. I just haven’t touched it yet. Not looking for extra heat and I kinda wanted to enjoy some gaming first. Once I replace this Corsair AIO that’s going bad I’ll likely mess with cache speeds.
It's always fun to fire up some old games that held you back on your previous hardware. Sounds like you got a pretty good chip. Temps really aren't that bad unless you try to push 5Ghz and beyond with AVX. When I was running 5Ghz with -1 AVX offset, my temps were better than they were on my 6700K. I got a bum chip on that one. Non AVX isn't that bad on the heat but it needs too much juice to run stable beyond 5.2Ghz on my setup.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 06:43 PM   #29
the_sextein
Radeon Evergreen

So I downloaded the new Cinebench 20 and it's worth mentioning that it uses AVX instructions. If you sync all cores and use an AVX offset then your single threaded performance will be whatever you have your AVX offset at when you run cinbench 20.

Since I usually run my system @5.2Ghz with a -3 AVX offset. I would get single core performance of 4.9Ghz. So here is that single core [email protected]

I then ran the benchmark in single core mode at 5Ghz and 5.2Ghz so here is that.

I then ran the benchmark in AVX mode at 5.2Ghz all core which is not recommended to be honest. As you can see, it hit 90C for a second while my cooling unit was winding up but the test maintained upper 80C range the entire time. This is why I use 4.9Ghz all core for AVX mode because it allows much lower Voltages and temps that never go above 75C.
Here is the 5.2Ghz all core run with no AVX offset and a V Core of 1.375 with a load line 6. As you can see, all 16 threads are loaded at 100% and all 8 cores are running at 5.2Ghz which is pretty demanding for an AVX enabled benchmark like this. The cache is running at 4700Mhz and the CPU peaked at 200Watts. Prime 95 would push it much higher and can be very dangerous at these settings.

Just a little bonus hehe. Pillars of Eternity 2 got it's final 5.0 patch not too long ago and I decided to pick it up. I had to build my own SLI profile because stupid Nvidia won't support their own products but check this out.

No SLI:

SLI Enabled:

I was running the game with a 5.2Ghz all core with no AVX offset. CPU temps are around 60C. SLI works flawless with no bugs or visual anomalies and gains me a nice 47FPS boost! Scaling fluctuates between 50% and 90% depending on where you are in the game. There are many areas in the game that drop below 60FPS with a single card so this came in handy. It's worth noting that the game is still GPU bound even with 2 [email protected] However, there are areas in the game where the CPU does bottleneck before the dual GPU's. Usually CPU limitations are above 90FPS in this game and as evidenced by these shots....sometimes the CPU limits are well above 100FPS. Once you get into a fight the game becomes much more CPU and GPU intensive but it can maintain 60+ FPS at all times with dual cards and a nice CPU.

Notice how much more CPU intensive the SLI enabled shot is. This isn't because of SLI overhead, it's because the CPU is having to deal with the game running at nearly 2X the speed. The higher your frame rates are the more likely you are to run into a CPU bound situation. That is why SLI can sometimes run into CPU limitations even at 4K. It's also worth mentioning that one of the cores is at 80+ [email protected] Using a slower clocked chip would probably be CPU bound in this situation and the other situations that do bound me would be much worse. This is just a little isometric game though, I just thought I would share since I'm an old Baldur's Gate dork who likes these sort of games and it happens to be what I am currently playing.

Last edited by the_sextein : Jul 10, 2019 at 08:55 PM.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 08:31 PM   #30
the_sextein
Radeon Evergreen

Just for reference. Here is Cinebench 15 numbers.

5.2Ghz single core:

5.2Ghz All Core with no AVX offset:

If you compare these to the original numbers I posted at 5Ghz you can see that running the chip at 5Ghz vs 5.2Ghz causes a 20C rise in temperatures. Basically 10C for every 100Mhz past the 5Ghz point. That is why I use an AVX offset even though my machine could handle 5.2Ghz with no offset for what I do.
The top number that is like 3 points higher is what my machine got when I bought it before the security patches.

Last edited by the_sextein : Jul 10, 2019 at 08:48 PM.