Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

Old Nov 21, 2008, 06:10 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
FX-Overclocking
Radeon Arctic Islands

FX-Overclocking once held a door open for a complete strangerFX-Overclocking once held a door open for a complete strangerFX-Overclocking once held a door open for a complete stranger

Smile My i7 Build - Finally Done, ready to build.

Well, it finally arrived in the mail (except the cooler I ordered today). Heres the build, all prices include shipping I paid.

Case: Antec Nine Hundred in Black

Motherboard: Asus P6T Palm Edition

CPU: Intel i7 920 (Retail)

Cooler: Noctua NH-U12P cooler with 1366 bracket mount kit

RAM: OCZ Platinum 6GB DDR3 1333 RAM with 7-7-7-20 timings

HDD1: Western Digital VelociRaptor 300GB 10K RPM (OEM)

HDD2: Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 500GB (OEM)

Videocard: MSI Nvidia 260 GTX OC 896MB

Sound Card: Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty Professional PCI-Express Edition

DVD Drive: LG 22x SATA DVD-R/W burner

--------------------------------------------------

Total Cost incl. shipping: $2074.06

So what do you think... I hope to OC the processor to a nice 3.7GHZ. Will follow up with a benchmark thread once I'm done putting it all together.

Persistence is the first, and the most important, condition for success.

"There is all the difference in the world between treating people equally and attempting to make them equal." - F.A. Hayek
FX-Overclocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2008, 07:02 PM   #2
minaelromany
Radeon Caribbean Islands

minaelromany can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyminaelromany can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Nice build man

I can't find any thing bad about these components but I think you could have gone with 1600 DDR3
SAPPHIRE Radeon R9 290 4GB Vapor-X OC 1.1GHz/5.2GHz GDDR5
3 BenQ 2420HD 1080p 24" Widescreen LCD in Eyefinity
Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD + 30.0TB of HDDs
Sound Blaster Z -Cambridge SoundWorks DTT 3500 Digital
Seasonic X-850
2xBenq 1640 - LiteOn iHAS120-Pioneer 111L - Samsung 203B - NEC Optiarc AD-7200S DVD+/-RW burners
NZXT Phantom Red Edition
minaelromany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2008, 07:21 PM   #3
FX-Overclocking
Radeon Arctic Islands

FX-Overclocking once held a door open for a complete strangerFX-Overclocking once held a door open for a complete strangerFX-Overclocking once held a door open for a complete stranger

I didn't because some recent tests with the i7 showed that the 1600 DDR3 wasn't quite as stable as the 1333. And with me planning to OC the last thing I want is poor stability. Nothing is worse than a ghost in the machine.

"There is all the difference in the world between treating people equally and attempting to make them equal." - F.A. Hayek
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Nov 21, 2008, 08:05 PM   #4
Jokerzwild
Radeon Arctic Islands

Jokerzwild is still being judged by the masses

LUCKY!!!! Be sure to give us pics and benchmarks, you're everyone's test monkey cause you know most everyone here will eventually upgrade too.
Old Nov 21, 2008, 08:45 PM   #5
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

caveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Sweet setup man Are the i7 920's hyperthreaded?

Though I think my next rig will be a 45nm Phenom II, if they OC as well as hoped.
caveman-jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2008, 09:06 PM   #6
minaelromany
Radeon Caribbean Islands

minaelromany can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyminaelromany can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by FX-Overclocking View Post
I didn't because some recent tests with the i7 showed that the 1600 DDR3 wasn't quite as stable as the 1333. And with me planning to OC the last thing I want is poor stability. Nothing is worse than a ghost in the machine.
Very good then , it is very nice to do homework before buying

When I saw your build I couldn't help but push my Q6600 even more , from 3.4 to 3.758

Now let's see some benchies
SAPPHIRE Radeon R9 290 4GB Vapor-X OC 1.1GHz/5.2GHz GDDR5
3 BenQ 2420HD 1080p 24" Widescreen LCD in Eyefinity
Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD + 30.0TB of HDDs
Sound Blaster Z -Cambridge SoundWorks DTT 3500 Digital
Seasonic X-850
2xBenq 1640 - LiteOn iHAS120-Pioneer 111L - Samsung 203B - NEC Optiarc AD-7200S DVD+/-RW burners
NZXT Phantom Red Edition
minaelromany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2008, 09:35 PM   #7
Lupine
Administrator

Lupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

Sweet.

I plan to live vicariously through you, remaining content w/ my Yorkfield / Kentsfield quads, for at least a year.
Old Nov 21, 2008, 09:53 PM   #8
Evileh
Keep your pimp hip strong

Evileh knows why the caged bird singsEvileh knows why the caged bird singsEvileh knows why the caged bird singsEvileh knows why the caged bird singsEvileh knows why the caged bird sings

My friend is buying one of the I7's. But it's a premade Gateway from best buy. I get to play with it though
Battlefield 3 Stats
Xfire evilgenius84
Xbox Live Gamer's Tag: Evileh

Sittal on BF2142 "
wtf. seriously. this has got to be the worst game i have EVER played. far worse than left behind."
Evileh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2008, 09:58 PM   #9
traitoR
Galactic Butterfly

traitoR once held a door open for a complete strangertraitoR once held a door open for a complete strangertraitoR once held a door open for a complete strangertraitoR once held a door open for a complete stranger

Should be a real powerhouse, be sure to post some build shots please.

Have you considered modding the case for better cable management ? Heres a cool thread that helped me out.

Antec 900 Mod Thread

The dream of eternal life is far more compelling than living one.
traitoR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2008, 10:32 PM   #10
FX-Overclocking
Radeon Arctic Islands

I hadn't known about that Antec case mods, thanks for the link. I might just go ahead and do something like that.

Which reminds me... will I have to buy any extra cables or connectors for my build? My PSU is a retail box. Shouldn't it have most everything I need? Do I need more cables or wires?

And you can all be sure that I will have a fully documented history of this undertaking (as well as benchmarks to follow) posted as soon as I finish. I finally got a digital camera last month, so you can be sure there will be plenty of juicy pics.

And speaking of the actual build I'd like to ask you all for some help overclocking this beast. You see, I haven't build a new rig since 2004, and it was only successfully OC'ed with the help of a friend from school. Point being I'm going to need some help if I'm going to be able to crank this baby as high as it can go. So if any of you know where I can find some recent overclocking tutorials or would be willing to give me some mentoring I would be grateful. And if any of you can find links to documentation of other i7 overclockings I would be ecstatic.

Last edited by FX-Overclocking : Nov 21, 2008 at 11:07 PM.
Old Nov 21, 2008, 11:32 PM   #11
Qb2k5
Alienware Certified

Qb2k5 is still being judged by the masses

Nice build. My next upgrade will be a Thermalright 120 Ultra to OC my 9650 to 4GHZ.
Qb2k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2008, 03:25 AM   #12
DaJMasta
Baffoonist

DaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badges

As much as that's impressive.... I'm somewhat more impressed that for that price, you could probably build 4 towers with 50% performance or better in every category, or 2 towers with 80% performance or better, possibly with some aspects being better.... for the same price. And this is true even given the (relatively) moderate launch pricing of the i7 procs.

$2000 without monitor is a lot of money

Hope you enjoy it enough to justify the price.
Desktop: Intel Core i7 7770k : 16GB EVGA DDR4 2400 : Gigabyte GTX 1070 Ti Windforce X2 : Gigabyte GA-H270-WIFI : AudioQuest DragonFly DAC : Samsung SM961 NVMe 1TB SSD : Corsair Builder 500W PSU : Samsung 1440p 32" Monitor : Klipsch Promedia 2.1 : Windows 10 Pro x64
Tablet: Microsoft Surface Pro 4 : Intel Core i5-6300U : 8GB DDR3 : Intel 520 Integrated : 256GB SSD : 12.3" 2736x1824 display : Windows 10 Pro x64
HTPC: Intel Core i3 3225 : HD 4000 integrated : 8GB Samsung DDR3 1600 : Gigabyte H77N-Wifi : 120GB Sandisk Extreme SSD : 80W power brick and picoPSU150 XT : Integrated HD Audio : Scepter 32" LCD TV : Logitech Z313 2.1 : Windows 7 Pro x64

DaJMasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2008, 09:50 AM   #13
traitoR
Galactic Butterfly

traitoR once held a door open for a complete strangertraitoR once held a door open for a complete strangertraitoR once held a door open for a complete strangertraitoR once held a door open for a complete stranger

Here`s a quick vid you might want to see and a related guide.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...90&postcount=1

The dream of eternal life is far more compelling than living one.
traitoR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2008, 01:07 PM   #14
FX-Overclocking
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaJMasta View Post
As much as that's impressive.... I'm somewhat more impressed that for that price, you could probably build 4 towers with 50% performance or better in every category, or 2 towers with 80% performance or better, possibly with some aspects being better.... for the same price. And this is true even given the (relatively) moderate launch pricing of the i7 procs.
I'm not sure that true exactly. Even if I were to replace the CPU and mobo with something free that would only remove $600 from the build roughly.

Old Nov 22, 2008, 01:09 PM   #15
FX-Overclocking
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by traitoR View Post
Here`s a quick vid you might want to see and a related guide.
Awesome, traitoR... thanks for the find. Will help a lot. I'll go over the whole vid and link tomorrow in detail when I have time.

Old Nov 22, 2008, 02:20 PM   #16
Clockwork
Radeon Arctic Islands

Clockwork knows why the caged bird singsClockwork knows why the caged bird singsClockwork knows why the caged bird singsClockwork knows why the caged bird singsClockwork knows why the caged bird sings

I put this list together on 11/16 at Newegg:

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/Pu...Number=9892686

CASE: COOLER MASTER RC-690-KKN1-GP Black SECC/ ABS ATX Mid Tower
$89.99 -$15.00 Instant $74.99

MOTHERBOARD: ASUS P6T Deluxe LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
$299.99

VIDEO CARD: SAPPHIRE 100251SR Radeon HD 4870 X2 2GB 512-bit (256-bit x 2) GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Retail
$549.99

POWER SUPPLY: Antec TPQ-850 850W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply - Retail
$249.99 -$100.00 Instant $149.99

CPU: Intel Core i7 920 2.66GHz LGA 1366 Quad-Core Processor Model BX80601920 - Retail
$299.99

MEMORY: mushkin 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model 996601 - Retail
$314.99 -$40.00 Instant $274.99

HARD DRIVE: Western Digital VelociRaptor WD1500HLFS 150GB 10000 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive (bare drive) - OEM
$179.99

OPTICAL DRIVE: LG Black LG Blu-ray/HD DVD-ROM & 16X DVD±R DVD Burner SATA Model GGC-H20LK - OEM
$139.99

Subtotal: $1,969.92

I can't bring myself to submit the order though.

Last edited by Clockwork : Nov 22, 2008 at 04:19 PM.
Clockwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2008, 03:12 PM   #17
FX-Overclocking
Radeon Arctic Islands

Found this:http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/200...-core-i7-920/3

What do you guys think, can I get an experienced OCer's opinion on this? Given my hardware and RAM is this a good enough road map to copy-cat for OCing glory?

Last edited by FX-Overclocking : Nov 22, 2008 at 03:16 PM.
Old Nov 22, 2008, 03:57 PM   #18
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

caveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Looks quite detailed, I think I'll add it to the important threads link. Thanks!
caveman-jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2008, 05:01 PM   #19
Espíritu_de_América
Radeon Northern Islands

Espíritu_de_América is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaJMasta View Post
$2000 without monitor is a lot of money
No to mention he could probably build 2 really nice computers for the same amount.
Old Nov 22, 2008, 05:45 PM   #20
GanjaStar
Jalouise

GanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by Espíritu_de_América View Post
No to mention he could probably build 2 really nice computers for the same amount.

well thats the price of early adoption.
GanjaStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2008, 05:55 PM   #21
Espíritu_de_América
Radeon Northern Islands

Espíritu_de_América is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by GanjaStar View Post
Early adoption or paying the premium for something marginally better?
Old Nov 22, 2008, 06:08 PM   #22
GanjaStar
Jalouise

GanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by Espíritu_de_América View Post
Early adoption or paying the premium for something marginally better?
probably both. im just saying its nothing new in the PC market.
GanjaStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2008, 06:14 PM   #23
Sasquach
2/10 will not bang

Sasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badges

makes my computer look like a complete piece of ass.
AMD Ryzen 5 2600X @ 3.6ghz
Asus Prime B450M A/CSM
2 x 8GB G-Skill DDR4 2666
Dell E2210 (22" widescreen) monitor + AMD Radeon R9 290
Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200.12 SATA
Seagate Barracuda 2TB SATA
Sennheiser PC350 Xense edition headset
Sasquach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2008, 06:25 PM   #24
VW_Factor
ÜBERVERBOTEN!

VW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by GanjaStar View Post
Tru.dat

I thought about it myself.

But. I went the cheapa route myself.

Gen before the i7 stuff. Not that its not good, but the performance of what I have now is a lot better than what I had before. (gaming especially) and on a budget, it worked great. For 1/4 the price I have something thats going to last me a few more years Im sure.

However. Early adopters, He'll be good long after I will, and will likely have upgraded further, having gaming performance far beyond what I can afford at this point..

Such is the price of being an enthusiast.

Edit : Point being. You cant knock him for doing it, I was once there myself on that edge of things. Wish I could be there again, but alas I have other things using my moneys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Smith
"Fail" = verb "Failure" = noun
VW_Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2008, 06:25 PM   #25
FX-Overclocking
Radeon Arctic Islands

It will be a giant upgrade for me. I haven't got a new PC for about 4 years, an AMD FX-53 rig with a tiny 74GB HDD and 2GB DDR1 ram. But I'm glad a held out until the i7.

Old Nov 23, 2008, 04:48 PM   #26
Dreven
Rage3D Veteran

Dreven is still being judged by the masses

Just curious why anyone would want to spend $149 or more on a Blu-Ray burner right now when Newegg only has one blank media type (which is currently out of stock) and it costs $14.99. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...lu-ray%20media

By the time the media comes down to $3 a disk the burners will be down to $50 or under
Dreven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2008, 05:45 PM   #27
Clockwork
Radeon Arctic Islands

Clockwork knows why the caged bird singsClockwork knows why the caged bird singsClockwork knows why the caged bird singsClockwork knows why the caged bird singsClockwork knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreven View Post
Just curious why anyone would want to spend $149 or more on a Blu-Ray burner right now when Newegg only has one blank media type (which is currently out of stock) and it costs $14.99. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...lu-ray%20media

By the time the media comes down to $3 a disk the burners will be down to $50 or under
Who mentioned doing that?
Clockwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2008, 07:50 PM   #28
Dreven
Rage3D Veteran

Dreven is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clockwork View Post
Who mentioned doing that?
Oh nevermind. You were listing a BluRay player and a standard burner on the same line. I'll try and stop skimming the highlights.
Dreven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2008, 10:34 PM   #29
FX-Overclocking
Radeon Arctic Islands

Nothings wrong with bluray players, but for me, I would be more likely to opt in for one on a laptop than a desktop? How many of you really watch movies from your PC?

Old Nov 24, 2008, 02:48 AM   #30
junglist1996
Reload selecta!

junglist1996 is still being judged by the masses

Sweet! Don't forget to post some pics of the beast!
<= See "System Specs" | CPU Core 2 Quad Q6600 G0 2.4GHz | Mobo Asus P5Q Deluxe | RAM 4GB Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2 800 | GPU HIS Radeon HD6570 1GB | SSD 120GB Intel 320 | Optical LG GGC-H20L Blu-ray/HD DVD | Case Origen AE S16V | PSU Zalman ZM600-HP | OS Windows 7 Ultimate x64 | Input Logitech MX Air + Logitech diNovo Edge | TV Panasonic VIERA TH-P50V20H 50" Plasma 1080p | DAC Wyred4Sound DAC2 24/192 Async USB | Integrated amplifier Musical Fidelity AMS35i 35wpc pure Class A | Loudspeakers Vienna Acoustics Beethoven Concert Grand | ASRock Core 100HT | CPU Core i3 350M 2.26GHz | Chipset Intel HM55 | RAM 4GB Kingston DDR3 1333 | GPU Intel HD Graphics | SSD 60GB OCZ Vertex 2 | Optical LG Super-Multi DVD burner | OS Windows 7 Home Premium x64 | Input Logitech K400 | TV Sony BRAVIA KDL-40HX750 40" LED 1080p | DAC Eastern Electric MiniMax DAC 24/192 w/ M2Tech hiFace USB->SPDIF | Integrated amplifier Musical Fidelity A1 20wpc Class A | Loudspeakers DALI Royal Menuet II on Solidsteel ZR-7 | Dell XPS 15 (9530) | CPU Core i7 4702HQ 2.2GHz | Chipset Intel HM87 | RAM 16GB DDR3 1600 | GPU Nvidia GT 750M 2GB Optimus + Intel HD Graphics 4600 | SSD 512GB Samsung SM841 | OS Windows 8.1 Pro x64 | Input Backlit keyboard (built-in) + Logitech Performance Mouse M950 + Filco Majestouch Ninja keyboard (Cherry MX Brown) | Display 15.6" 3200x1800 Touch + Matrox DualHead2Go w/ 2 x Dell UltraSharp 1907FP 2560x1024 | Sound Realtek HD Audio | Microsoft Surface Pro | CPU Core i5 3317U 1.7GHz | Chipset Intel HM77 | RAM 4GB DDR3 1600 | GPU Intel HD Graphics 4000 | SSD 128GB Micron RealSSD C400 | OS Windows 8.1 Pro x64 | Input Touch Cover + Surface Pen | Display 10.6" 1920x1080 touchscreen | QNAP TS-253 Pro | 2 x 6TB HGST Deskstar NAS RAID 1

Would you like to help cure cancer with your uber rig? Join the fold at Team Rage 3D today!
junglist1996 is offline   Reply With Quote