Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

Old Apr 27, 2006, 07:20 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Soong
Radeon Caribbean Islands

Soong is still being judged by the masses

Optical Drive Filthy/Worn-Out DVD drives. How can I clean the drives out?

I have two identical Plextor PX-716A’s. At this point in time, each drive has seen in the neighborhood of 300-400 rental DVDs and they seem to be worse for ware. The slave drive can almost never get through reading a disk. Errors usually occur at roughly predicable points; most often around the 40% mark on the slave drive. The master drive is fairing a bit better but is experiencing more and more read errors over time. This has brought me to the conclusion that the laser pickups are probably covered with crap that’s fallen off of the hundreds of DVD’s that have been in the drives.

So the question is this: Can the drives be cleaned? I have tried angling some compressed air around the CD try to blow around whatever’s in the drive. I’m willing to bet this has the potential to do more damage than good. At this point the compressed air doesn’t seem to have helped or hurt the drives performance.

Do I have to buy new drives?
Soong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2006, 09:58 AM   #2
Zero
Sass hole

Zero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English Channel

you can disassemble them and clean the lens if you really want, but it's most likely a worn motor issue. just buy a new one.

please refrain from telling other forum members to "Go eat a buffet of dicks." in the future.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2006, 11:36 AM   #3
cbsboyer
ATI EGA Wonder

cbsboyer once held a door open for a complete strangercbsboyer once held a door open for a complete strangercbsboyer once held a door open for a complete strangercbsboyer once held a door open for a complete stranger

In my experience, the motors on CD/DVD drives almost never quit. Generally, dirt on the laser and on the head sliders/rails will be where you will run into trouble.

The first step is to open the drive up and blow out all the accumulated dirt with compressed air. Blow the dirt off the lens, but try not to nail it with the air too hard.

To clean the lens, use camera lens cleaning solution, or Windex if you can't get any lens cleaner, put some on a Q-Tip and gently wipe off the lens with the wet end, and then polish with the dry end. You should only just barely make contact with the lens, otherwise you will damage the coating.

To clean the rails/sliders, use some methyl hydrate (available at most hardware stores) on a Q-Tip and wipe off all the dirt, gunk and old grease. Next, carefully apply a very thin layer of grease to the rails with a toothpick.

Reassemble the drive and try it out with a disc you don't really care about too much.

cbsboyer

"Relationships are like dormant volcanoes, most of the time things are fine or manageable but there's always a chance she blows molten crazy all over you." - ice
cbsboyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Apr 27, 2006, 03:03 PM   #4
g-a-m-e
oh yeah

g-a-m-e can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyg-a-m-e can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyg-a-m-e can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

lol @ pussies ............................... 'cleaning disk'

g-a-m-e is offline   Reply With Quote