Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » PC Gaming
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

PC Gaming Discuss all PC games, past and present. Talk about your favorite games, share tips and strategies, and anything else relating to computer games.

Old Apr 5, 2021, 12:07 PM   #31
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
SD-[Inc]
Radeon Arctic Islands

SD-[Inc] once held a door open for a complete strangerSD-[Inc] once held a door open for a complete strangerSD-[Inc] once held a door open for a complete strangerSD-[Inc] once held a door open for a complete stranger

I really like the casual nature of the game and enjoy going in and building or farming or mining or exploring. We went on a sea monster hunt over the weekend. Decided we want to be sure to get all resources when we killed the monster so we decided to harpoon the thing from shore and pull it on land to kill it. So we lured it close to shore using the boat. Hopped out, harpooned it and pulled it onto land. The game developers fully expected people to do this because once the beast hit shore it went into a full on panic mode and was wiggling everywhere knocking down trees and us. We managed to kill it and get all resources. It was an epic battle.

But, unfortunately a troll raid also did some serious damage to our potion bar

Need better walls
SD-[Inc] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2021, 12:42 PM   #32
Jet Black
Radeon Volcanic Islands

Jet Black once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Jet Black once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Jet Black once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Jet Black once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Jet Black once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Jet Black once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD-[Inc] View Post
I really like the casual nature of the game and enjoy going in and building or farming or mining or exploring. We went on a sea monster hunt over the weekend. Decided we want to be sure to get all resources when we killed the monster so we decided to harpoon the thing from shore and pull it on land to kill it. So we lured it close to shore using the boat. Hopped out, harpooned it and pulled it onto land. The game developers fully expected people to do this because once the beast hit shore it went into a full on panic mode and was wiggling everywhere knocking down trees and us. We managed to kill it and get all resources. It was an epic battle.

But, unfortunately a troll raid also did some serious damage to our potion bar

Need better walls
I was thinking maybe your moat would stop attacks, but I guess they just plow through eh?
Jet Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2021, 01:40 PM   #33
SD-[Inc]
Radeon Arctic Islands

SD-[Inc] once held a door open for a complete strangerSD-[Inc] once held a door open for a complete strangerSD-[Inc] once held a door open for a complete strangerSD-[Inc] once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet Black View Post
I was thinking maybe your moat would stop attacks, but I guess they just plow through eh?

The moat didn't go all the way around

The Trolls have such a big swing with their clubs and they throw rocks. So, the moat may not stop them anyway.
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Apr 6, 2021, 02:53 PM   #34
twonha
Yods be silent!

twonha once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'twonha once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'twonha once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'twonha once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'twonha once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'twonha once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

The three of us went hunting in Sunken Crypts in the Swamps last night. It's brutally dangerous: there are poisonous Blobs, Draugr and Draugr Elites, and you have to pickaxe your way through the crypt's iron deposits. But the loot is pretty good, and some of it is a requirement in the tech trees.

So just now, I wanted to get some more, and went in solo.

The amount of iron you pick up alone makes it difficult to go in alone. You want to bring all of it back, but it's far too much and far too heavy. I ended up leaving all my iron in a crate - didn't even get to go through the entire crypt because both my pickaxes broke.

Looks like I'm marking that one for later, when we can go together.
Old Apr 6, 2021, 03:02 PM   #35
SD-[Inc]
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by twonha View Post
The three of us went hunting in Sunken Crypts in the Swamps last night. It's brutally dangerous: there are poisonous Blobs, Draugr and Draugr Elites, and you have to pickaxe your way through the crypt's iron deposits. But the loot is pretty good, and some of it is a requirement in the tech trees.

So just now, I wanted to get some more, and went in solo.

The amount of iron you pick up alone makes it difficult to go in alone. You want to bring all of it back, but it's far too much and far too heavy. I ended up leaving all my iron in a crate - didn't even get to go through the entire crypt because both my pickaxes broke.

Looks like I'm marking that one for later, when we can go together.
Nice! The swamp is super scary the first time you get in. Make poison resistance potions if you haven’t already. And don’t forget to harvest some “Gunk” while you are there (It’s the green glowing stuff up in the trees).
Old Apr 7, 2021, 07:18 AM   #36
twonha
Yods be silent!

twonha once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'twonha once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'twonha once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'twonha once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'twonha once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'twonha once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Nice! The swamp is super scary the first time you get in. Make poison resistance potions if you haven’t already. And don’t forget to harvest some “Gunk” while you are there (It’s the green glowing stuff up in the trees).
I went next level superman last night. I left the iron in the crypt. Then I went through the portal we built nearby, back to our base. From our base, I took the boat back to as close as I could get to the crypt. That was a 30 minute sailing trip. I ran to the crypt and brought the iron to the boat - that took two trips. Then I set sail again and sailed all the way back to our base, which was another 45 minute trip (different route).

So, I spent about an hour and a half to get +/- 40 unrefined iron. Was it worth it? I don't want to know. (The answer is no, because there are a lot of crypts closer by, I just haven't found them yet.)

The first time I used a poison resistance potion, it ran out before a Blob hit me, so it ended up useless. I chose not to bring any for my next heroic trips: just keep stuffing food down my face, avoid getting hit as much as possible, and if it does happen, I can take it (once or twice). As for the gunk in the trees: that's yet another funny Valheim story, because that's how we ended up building bases in the trees.

To get up to the gunk we built upward, and quickly found that an elevated position is very nice to have in the Swamps. So, fast forward an hour or two, and we have large treehouses with interlocking routes among the trees. For one of the crypts, we pretty much built our way there, instead of rushing or fighting our way through the swamps.

The amount of stories we build up that aren't dictated by the game is truly impressive. Is this an actual new thing in gaming, or is this what I've always missed out on by not playing MMOs?
Old Apr 7, 2021, 08:04 AM   #37
Silent-Runner
nulli secundus

Silent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

Valheim isn't a MMO, it's a co-op survival sandbox game. That aside the amount of freedom to do almost whatever you want to is somewhat new, although some people might say you already have/had that with minecraft and similar games.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

"Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape" *Sir Terry Pratchett*

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Silent-Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2021, 10:07 AM   #38
xCLAVEx
FCK Joebama/HeelsUpHarris

xCLAVEx once held a door open for a complete strangerxCLAVEx once held a door open for a complete strangerxCLAVEx once held a door open for a complete strangerxCLAVEx once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent-Runner View Post
Valheim isn't a MMO, it's a co-op survival sandbox game. That aside the amount of freedom to do almost whatever you want to is somewhat new, although some people might say you already have/had that with minecraft and similar games.
It basically is minecraft with vikings. There is no better way to describe it.
Old Apr 7, 2021, 12:38 PM   #39
SD-[Inc]
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
I went next level superman last night. I left the iron in the crypt. Then I went through the portal we built nearby, back to our base. From our base, I took the boat back to as close as I could get to the crypt. That was a 30 minute sailing trip. I ran to the crypt and brought the iron to the boat - that took two trips. Then I set sail again and sailed all the way back to our base, which was another 45 minute trip (different route).

So, I spent about an hour and a half to get +/- 40 unrefined iron. Was it worth it? I don't want to know. (The answer is no, because there are a lot of crypts closer by, I just haven't found them yet.)

The first time I used a poison resistance potion, it ran out before a Blob hit me, so it ended up useless. I chose not to bring any for my next heroic trips: just keep stuffing food down my face, avoid getting hit as much as possible, and if it does happen, I can take it (once or twice). As for the gunk in the trees: that's yet another funny Valheim story, because that's how we ended up building bases in the trees.

To get up to the gunk we built upward, and quickly found that an elevated position is very nice to have in the Swamps. So, fast forward an hour or two, and we have large treehouses with interlocking routes among the trees. For one of the crypts, we pretty much built our way there, instead of rushing or fighting our way through the swamps.

The amount of stories we build up that aren't dictated by the game is truly impressive. Is this an actual new thing in gaming, or is this what I've always missed out on by not playing MMOs?
That’s awesome. Which boat are you using? The Longship has much better storage and is a lot faster. Use it for all of your runs. Post some picks of your tree houses! Also, you may want to consider creating a smelting and crafting base closer to the swamp. You want lots of iron so 1 hr round trips are too much wasted time.
Old Apr 7, 2021, 12:40 PM   #40
SD-[Inc]
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by xCLAVEx View Post
It basically is minecraft with vikings. There is no better way to describe it.
It’s not an MMO but its more than just minecraft with vikings. A closer game to compare with is probably a multi-player version of SubNautica if anyone played that.
Old Apr 7, 2021, 08:21 PM   #41
SD-[Inc]
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:

Check out this guy’s swamp treehouse:

I think some players with a strong background in architecture can build amazing things. I couldn’t create something like this even if I tried!
Old Apr 8, 2021, 02:50 AM   #42
twonha
Yods be silent!

Quote:
Check out this guy’s swamp treehouse:

I think some players with a strong background in architecture can build amazing things. I couldn’t create something like this even if I tried!
**** me.

Two options:
A. We don't have a tree house, we have planks stuck together.
B. That's not a tree house, that's a flying villa
Old Apr 8, 2021, 11:48 AM   #43
Jet Black
Radeon Volcanic Islands

Jet Black once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Jet Black once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Jet Black once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Jet Black once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Jet Black once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Jet Black once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Just to verify, since I haven't dabbled in mods and such, all of these amazing construction projects are built in the real world under real pressures, right? Mining resources, surviving battles, etc? Or are there ways to go into "creative" mode to just kind of build these super structures safely?
Jet Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2021, 01:45 PM   #44
twonha
Yods be silent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet Black View Post
Just to verify, since I haven't dabbled in mods and such, all of these amazing construction projects are built in the real world under real pressures, right? Mining resources, surviving battles, etc? Or are there ways to go into "creative" mode to just kind of build these super structures safely?
There are plenty of mods available (I haven't tried any), so I guess it depends on the video... I saw one of the Eifel tower being constructed in Valheim, that was without pressure I believe. But that tree house looks doable.
Old Apr 10, 2021, 12:35 AM   #45
SD-[Inc]
Radeon Arctic Islands

Figured we needed a lighthouse at our docks:

Old Apr 10, 2021, 04:05 AM   #46
twonha
Yods be silent!

Looking good!

Our home base is surrounded by stone walls, like a castle. Not that many (pretty) buildings though, because stone walls, food and quests take a lot of time.

My latest attempts at bringing home lots of wood are to no longer bring a cart into the wild, but to park up the boat by shorelines with lots of trees. Chop wood, put it in the boat, get out. Fewer enemies because you can more easily stick to the Meadow coastlines, and because you've already got your back to the seas. Lots of storage room, and it's fun to take the boat, compared to running round with carts!
Old Apr 10, 2021, 11:44 AM   #47
SD-[Inc]
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Looking good!

Our home base is surrounded by stone walls, like a castle. Not that many (pretty) buildings though, because stone walls, food and quests take a lot of time.

My latest attempts at bringing home lots of wood are to no longer bring a cart into the wild, but to park up the boat by shorelines with lots of trees. Chop wood, put it in the boat, get out. Fewer enemies because you can more easily stick to the Meadow coastlines, and because you've already got your back to the seas. Lots of storage room, and it's fun to take the boat, compared to running round with carts!
Did you keep seeds? Trees grow to full size in a few day. Get a cultivator and pick an open area outside your base. I plant and chop down about 150 trees routinely. If you plant them just like crops in very close lines when you start chopping falling trees do half the work for you. Plant them on a slight slope and start at the uphill side and trees just start falling in massive chain reaction.
Old Apr 12, 2021, 04:01 AM   #48
CyanBlues
Radeon Southern Islands

CyanBlues once held a door open for a complete strangerCyanBlues once held a door open for a complete strangerCyanBlues once held a door open for a complete strangerCyanBlues once held a door open for a complete stranger

i find building walls with the hoe and raise ground the most effective, npc/mobs just ignore them and walk around aimlessly. If you move close to the edge of the wall, it only uses 4 stone to build the next part no matter how high off the ground the wall is, it goes right up to the top. Its quick to make a wall surrounding your base vs trying to build via stone wall.

Last edited by CyanBlues : Apr 12, 2021 at 05:18 AM.
CyanBlues is offline   Reply With Quote