Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

Old Feb 9, 2019, 01:37 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Fleksta
Radeon R600

Fleksta is still being judged by the masses

Default Need help with new build, won't power on

Hi guys,

Hoping someone can point me in the right direction here. Just put together a new build with the following components:

EVGA Platinum P2 750 power supply
ASUS ROG Strix X470-F motherboard
Ryzen 5 2600x CPU with OEM Wraith cooler
Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000 2x8gb
EVGA GTX1070 SC Gaming

The sequence of events:

1) Flip power supply switch
2) Mobo RGB light up & red onboard power light illuminates. Notice that my backlit keyboard (USB3) is also lit up.
3) Press power button

This is where the problem occurs, there is an audible clicking from the PSU like a relay is going on/off quickly. The case fans all power up and down in sync with this clicking. This continues until I flip the switch on the power supply again.

Now, my first thought was bad PSU but using the included self-tester the PSU hums along just fine.

I tried reseating all the power connections/vid card/ram (including trying the other slots) with no change in behavior.

Does this point to a bad motherboard? Or could there still be a problem with the PSU even though it seems to pass the self-test?

Thanks in advance for any ideas! Link goes to short video showing what is happening.

https://youtu.be/gJa4T6JvLDU
Fleksta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2019, 02:48 PM   #2
NWR_Midnight
Radeon Volcanic Islands

NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleksta View Post
Hi guys,

Hoping someone can point me in the right direction here. Just put together a new build with the following components:

EVGA Platinum P2 750 power supply
ASUS ROG Strix X470-F motherboard
Ryzen 5 2600x CPU with OEM Wraith cooler
Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000 2x8gb
EVGA GTX1070 SC Gaming

The sequence of events:

1) Flip power supply switch
2) Mobo RGB light up & red onboard power light illuminates. Notice that my backlit keyboard (USB3) is also lit up.
3) Press power button

This is where the problem occurs, there is an audible clicking from the PSU like a relay is going on/off quickly. The case fans all power up and down in sync with this clicking. This continues until I flip the switch on the power supply again.

Now, my first thought was bad PSU but using the included self-tester the PSU hums along just fine.

I tried reseating all the power connections/vid card/ram (including trying the other slots) with no change in behavior.

Does this point to a bad motherboard? Or could there still be a problem with the PSU even though it seems to pass the self-test?

Thanks in advance for any ideas! Link goes to short video showing what is happening.

https://youtu.be/gJa4T6JvLDU

1) verify the cpu 8 pin power is plugged in correctly, verify you didn't accidentally use the pci-e plug vs the cpu. They shouldn't have the ability to be swapped, but I have ran into some that still plug in.
2)verify the 24 pin power connector is plugged in properly and completely.
3) possibly you have the motherboard grounding out. against case - verify you are using the proper stand offs.
4)clear cmos
5) make sure memory is in correct slots - some mb won't post if this is the case.

Also, the 2000 series can take 30+ seconds to post the first time and after changes made to bios, as it does a memory training.

~I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability. ~ Ron White
~You can't fix Stupid! ~ Ron White
~There's not a pill you can take; there's not a class you can go to. - ~Stupid is forever. ~ Ron White
~Life is a hard teacher, it gives you the test before it teaches you the lesson.
~It's never to late to have a good childhood! The older you are, the better the toys! ~ My Dad
~Live everyday as though it is your last, it can all end at any moment!

Last edited by NWR_Midnight : Feb 9, 2019 at 03:01 PM.
NWR_Midnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2019, 03:59 PM   #3
Fleksta
Radeon R600

Tried all of that, still no joy. There are a couple standoffs without screws, but they line up with holes in the mobo.

Just tried reinstalling my old mobo, that one doesn't even power on at all. Self-Tester still shows a working PSU though.

Guess I'll plug the old PSU back in and see what happens.

Edit: All old parts reassembled...still no power on. This is getting frustrating...has to be a grounding problem right?
Double Edit: I'm a dumbass...hdd light plug was swapped with power button plug. Old system booted right up when that was fixed. Next step is to try new mobo with old PSU?

Triple update: Old PSU and new mobo has it back to cycling on/off again. Think the mobo is a dud.

Last update (for now ): New PSU and old mobo work fine

Last edited by Fleksta : Feb 9, 2019 at 06:18 PM.
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Feb 10, 2019, 09:54 AM   #4
NWR_Midnight
Radeon Volcanic Islands

NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Tried all of that, still no joy. There are a couple standoffs without screws, but they line up with holes in the mobo.

Just tried reinstalling my old mobo, that one doesn't even power on at all. Self-Tester still shows a working PSU though.

Guess I'll plug the old PSU back in and see what happens.

Edit: All old parts reassembled...still no power on. This is getting frustrating...has to be a grounding problem right?
Double Edit: I'm a dumbass...hdd light plug was swapped with power button plug. Old system booted right up when that was fixed. Next step is to try new mobo with old PSU?

Triple update: Old PSU and new mobo has it back to cycling on/off again. Think the mobo is a dud.

Last update (for now ): New PSU and old mobo work fine
It could be your bios. It needs updated as this person figures out, just return it and get the crosshair vii hero, as you don't even need a cpu in it to update the bios. Your board requires a supported cpu intalled to do it, which if it is your bios, you can't update it with your current cpu.. :

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/...-qled-vga.html

~There's not a pill you can take; there's not a class you can go to. - ~Stupid is forever. ~ Ron White
~Life is a hard teacher, it gives you the test before it teaches you the lesson.
~It's never to late to have a good childhood! The older you are, the better the toys! ~ My Dad
Old Feb 10, 2019, 12:55 PM   #5
Jay20016
Truth Doesn't Make Fact

Jay20016 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyJay20016 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyJay20016 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWR_Midnight View Post
It could be your bios. It needs updated as this person figures out, just return it and get the crosshair vii hero, as you don't even need a cpu in it to update the bios. Your board requires a supported cpu intalled to do it, which if it is your bios, you can't update it with your current cpu.. :

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/...-qled-vga.html
Have seen something similar on Intel a few years back which was due to bios, so give it a go. If you need a CPU installed to do it, you may be able to reach out to some local shops to "borrow" in store. If not, AMD had a program for this very thing when the Zen+ line came' out but not sure if still active.

"Don’t waste your time on jealousy. Sometimes you’re ahead, sometimes you’re behind. The race is long and, in the end, it’s only with yourself."
Jay20016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2019, 04:09 PM   #6
Fleksta
Radeon R600

That doesn't seem to be the same thing I'm experiencing. The instant I hit the startup button the computer just goes into a power cycle (off/on/off/on) until I switch it off at the PSU.

It doesn't run long enough to even begin the POST sequence. I've requested a replacement board from Amazon, which should be here tomorrow. If I get the same symptoms, I'll have to try another board like the Crosshair I guess.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 05:25 PM   #7
NWR_Midnight
Radeon Volcanic Islands

Quote:
That doesn't seem to be the same thing I'm experiencing. The instant I hit the startup button the computer just goes into a power cycle (off/on/off/on) until I switch it off at the PSU.

It doesn't run long enough to even begin the POST sequence. I've requested a replacement board from Amazon, which should be here tomorrow. If I get the same symptoms, I'll have to try another board like the Crosshair I guess.
Still could be the same thing. He may be just lucky it posted. Most motherboards won't post at all if it doesn't have a compatable cpu in it.

It could also be possible you have a bent pin on the cpu.

Also, is the memory you have on the compatability list? As the ryzen or at least the crosshair vii hero does memory training before it even tries to post. Sometimes it can take 30 swconds to a minute to complete the first boot up of the machine, as well after bios changes. If you have incompatible memory, or even a bad stick, it might be preventing it from completing and posting.

Last edited by NWR_Midnight : Feb 10, 2019 at 05:46 PM.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 05:46 PM   #8
Fleksta
Radeon R600

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic...-difficulties/

That poster has a build nearly identical to the one I'm trying to get working, and only had an issue with RAM speed (presumably because he needed to enable AMP in the bios).
Old Feb 10, 2019, 06:15 PM   #9
NWR_Midnight
Radeon Volcanic Islands

Quote:
https://linustechtips.com/main/topic...-difficulties/

That poster has a build nearly identical to the one I'm trying to get working, and only had an issue with RAM speed (presumably because he needed to enable AMP in the bios).
Is it this memory? (Edit: i just looked at his parts list, yes, it is the same memory, just a different color, see below)

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-345-_-Product

Which is CMK16GX4M2D3000C16. It is not on the compatability list for the second generation ryzen on that mother board. If he has the same memory, he may be just lucky it is working. There are other versions, that are simular that have slightly different part numbers that are on the list, that look the same and aare named the same as yours. You need to find oit which memory you have by part number and verify it is on the list.

He also might have a newer bios version that includes memory compatability updates, which is allowing that memory to work.

I also edited my previous comment with some other memory info. (At work, so i can't do it all at once)

Also, do you have a speaker connected so you can hear if there are any beeps?

Last edited by NWR_Midnight : Feb 10, 2019 at 06:36 PM.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 11:58 AM   #10
Fleksta
Radeon R600

I finally found where Asus hid the QVL list, it looks like my RAM is on the list when I search with model # CMK16GX4M2B3000C15 in both Micron & SK flavors.

I looked over the CPU carefully after you mentioned that could be the issue and could not pick out any deformed pins.

Just got the notice that the replacement board was dropped off at home, so hopefully I'll have time to try again this evening. Unfortunately my case (Corsair 650D) doesn't seem to have a system speaker.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 05:17 PM   #11
NWR_Midnight
Radeon Volcanic Islands

Quote:
I finally found where Asus hid the QVL list, it looks like my RAM is on the list when I search with model # CMK16GX4M2B3000C15 in both Micron & SK flavors.

I looked over the CPU carefully after you mentioned that could be the issue and could not pick out any deformed pins.

Just got the notice that the replacement board was dropped off at home, so hopefully I'll have time to try again this evening. Unfortunately my case (Corsair 650D) doesn't seem to have a system speaker.
Great, good to hear that your memory is compatibly. So it sounds like you have checked out every possibility, and it could very well be the Motherboard and or bios issue. (Hopefully the new board comes with the latest bios update). Let us know how the new board works please.

As for the speaker.. mine doesn't either, but I had one from a previous build that I never used, so I used it. You can make one from basically any small speaker, if you decide you need one, or go buy one for cheap. all you need is a connector to wire to the +/- so you can plug it into the motherboard. On the Crosshair VII hero, there is led readout that gives you error codes and/or everything is okay code... but I am old school and prefer to hear the beep when it posts.

Anyhow, I hope the new board solves your problems!

Good Luck!

Old Feb 11, 2019, 05:39 PM   #12
Fleksta
Radeon R600

The new board seems to have done the trick. This time it ran through all the self-tests and popped the green light before letting me into the BIOS

Got a fresh install of Windows on the drive and have begun the arduous task of reinstalling all my must-have programs.

Thanks for all your input!
Old Feb 11, 2019, 05:56 PM   #13
Fleksta
Radeon R600

Hmm...thought I had a dead ethernet port for a few minutes. For some reason it doesn't like the existing cable, but popped on when I ran an alternate. Guess I'll be needing to run a new one.

Last edited by Fleksta : Feb 11, 2019 at 06:06 PM.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 11:33 PM   #14
NWR_Midnight
Radeon Volcanic Islands

Quote:
Hmm...thought I had a dead ethernet port for a few minutes. For some reason it doesn't like the existing cable, but popped on when I ran an alternate. Guess I'll be needing to run a new one.
Could just be a bad connector, might be easier and quicker to just put a new end on it and try that first.. Glad the new board did the trick!!