Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

Old Oct 26, 2009, 02:56 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
AllexxisF1
Owie.

AllexxisF1 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersAllexxisF1 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersAllexxisF1 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersAllexxisF1 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersAllexxisF1 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersAllexxisF1 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersAllexxisF1 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersAllexxisF1 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersAllexxisF1 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersAllexxisF1 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersAllexxisF1 has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

DUDE!!!

Quote:
Forget dual-core and quad-core processors: A semiconductor company promises to pack 100 cores into a processor that can be used in applications that require hefty computing punch, like video conferencing, wireless base stations and networking. By comparison, Intel’s latest chips are expected to have just eight cores.

“This is a general-purpose chip that can run off-the-shelf programs almost unmodified,” says Anant Agarwal, chief technical officer of Tilera, the company that is making the 100-core chip. “And we can do that while offering at least four times the compute performance of an Intel Nehalem-Ex, while burning a third of the power as a Nehalem.”

The 100-core processor, fabricated using 40-nanometer technology, is expected to be available early next year.

LINK to Wired Article.
AllexxisF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2009, 02:59 PM   #2
Android1
Radeon Polaris 20 XL

Android1 knows why the caged bird singsAndroid1 knows why the caged bird singsAndroid1 knows why the caged bird singsAndroid1 knows why the caged bird singsAndroid1 knows why the caged bird sings

Post separated from two-year-old, necro-bumped News forum thread.
Android1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2009, 03:04 PM   #3
Treeckcold57
Good ol' ATI

Treeckcold57 knows why the caged bird singsTreeckcold57 knows why the caged bird singsTreeckcold57 knows why the caged bird singsTreeckcold57 knows why the caged bird singsTreeckcold57 knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Each core has a full-featured, general-purpose processor that includes L1 and L2 caches, and a distributed L3 cache. The cores are overlaid with the mesh network, which provides extremely low-latency, high-bandwidth communications between the cores, memory and the processor’s input and output.

OMFG!

AMD Phenom II X2 555 @ stock clock
Xigamtek Knight cooler
ASUS M4A79XTD EVO
G.Skill 8GB DDR3 1333 (4x4GB)
Intel 530 240GB SSD
XFX ATI Radeon 4870 1GB
Antec Truepower 750W
NZXT Source 210
Windows 7 x64

AMD FX-8350 @ stock clock
Gigabyte GA-990FX-UD5 R5
G.Skill Sniper 16GB (8x2) DDR3 1866
Arctic Freezer 7 Pro 7 rev. 2
Gigabyte Windforce 7950 3GB Ghz Edition
Samsung 840 Pro 128GB SSD
EVGA SuperNova 650W
NZXT Source 210 w/ two Noctua F-12 fans
Ubuntu MATE 64-bit
Intel i5 3570K @ stock clock | G.Skill 16GB (8GBx2) DDR3 1866 | Silicon Power 60GB SSD | Win 10 Pro x64 | NZXT Source 210
Treeckcold57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Oct 26, 2009, 03:18 PM   #4
acroig
Master Troll

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Android1 View Post
acroig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2009, 03:23 PM   #5
AllexxisF1
Owie.

AllexxisF1 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersAllexxisF1 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersAllexxisF1 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersAllexxisF1 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersAllexxisF1 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersAllexxisF1 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersAllexxisF1 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersAllexxisF1 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersAllexxisF1 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersAllexxisF1 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersAllexxisF1 has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Android1 View Post
Sorry I have burned much of late with duplicate threads.

In any case is this not some incredible news Fellas. Folding at home just went to the stratosphere.
Old Oct 26, 2009, 06:02 PM   #6
Napoleonic
Radeon Arctic Islands

Napoleonic once held a door open for a complete strangerNapoleonic once held a door open for a complete strangerNapoleonic once held a door open for a complete stranger

wasn't intel reported doing the same thing sometime ago?
Old Oct 26, 2009, 07:01 PM   #7
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

caveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badges

No x86 license = recompile for architecture = no mainstream adoption.
caveman-jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2009, 04:24 AM   #8
cmar
Radeon Sea Islands

cmar is still being judged by the masses

With that many cores to burn, maybe auto on the fly recompile for X86 applications.
Old Oct 27, 2009, 07:03 AM   #9
Android1
Radeon Polaris 20 XL

Android1 knows why the caged bird singsAndroid1 knows why the caged bird singsAndroid1 knows why the caged bird singsAndroid1 knows why the caged bird singsAndroid1 knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllexxisF1 View Post
Sorry I have burned much of late with duplicate threads.
The bump itself was so much the issue as the age of the bumped thread. In any case, all is good.
Android1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2009, 07:25 AM   #10
AllexxisF1
Owie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caveman-jim View Post
No x86 license = recompile for architecture = no mainstream adoption.
In most cases I would agree Jim, but there is something special here. If these 100 processors perform much more quickly (orders of magnitude quicker) than Intel's or AMD's parts than sure as all heck programmers will recompile for it.

I mean we are not talking minor increases in speed here, we are talking a fight between 8 cores and 100 cores. That and it will run on half the juice and be just as affordable. That isn't competition, that's a game changer.

You can bet your booty that Microsoft will recompile its SQL program toot sweet to accommodate 100 cores. Not to mention other platforms like Oracle as well. Hell even game companies are going to join in on this bandwagon because speed is king.

*If the speed is orders of magnitude above Intel and AMD you will see mainstream adoption of this processor quickly.
Old Oct 27, 2009, 08:45 AM   #11
Crisler
SAPPHIRE PR REP

Crisler can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyCrisler can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
*If the speed is orders of magnitude above Intel and AMD you will see mainstream adoption of this processor quickly.
NOT

Does not matter how fast it is you will not see a "quick" adoptation by the mainstream. The install base of the currect standard is way to high for a rapid switch.

#SapphireNation
Crisler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2009, 09:05 AM   #12
AllexxisF1
Owie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisler View Post
NOT

Does not matter how fast it is you will not see a "quick" adoptation by the mainstream. The install base of the currect standard is way to high for a rapid switch.
I respectfully disagree .

If I came out with a processor tomorrow that contained 100 cores, each of which is faster than anything out today, you honestly think developers would not line up immediately.

Especially if my new haxxoromfg Processor took half the energy and cost the same. Not only that but it would be easy to program for.

I would think the entire industry would flop on its head and programs would be compiled immediately.

As a Network Administrator the mere thought of getting that much power now would have me call every one of my main software platform vendors and push them like hell to make it compatible.

Imagine Net Admins that work in Hollywood effect studios or Scientists who need all the power they can get, not to mention the military.

*If
this processor is years ahead of AMD or Intel it will be adopted faster than anything else before it.
Old Oct 27, 2009, 09:18 AM   #13
MikeEx
ಠ_ಠ

MikeEx is still being judged by the masses

*nix could be the first to support it.
From there on you could just emulate or wrap another OS on top until mainstream adoption.

Then again there is overhead, But with 100 cores would it be noticeable?
Would MS ever consider support for win7 or even win8?
Can it play Crysis?

These are all relevant.

Last edited by MikeEx : Oct 27, 2009 at 09:27 AM.
MikeEx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2009, 10:56 AM   #14
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

caveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
You can bet your booty that Microsoft will recompile its SQL program toot sweet to accommodate 100 cores. Not to mention other platforms like Oracle as well. Hell even game companies are going to join in on this bandwagon because speed is king.

Microsoft haven't even optimized SQL and Exchange to use more than 4 logical processors yet, so I don't see that on the horizon anytime soon.

More competition in the CPU market is good, but this is going to die a death without an x86 license. It won't be used for anything more than appliance type applications (firewalls, routers, storage processors, embedded devices etc.).
caveman-jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2009, 07:59 PM   #15
-n7-
Radeon Arctic Islands

-n7- is still being judged by the masses

Nope.

I'll get excited when i see this for sale, being used in current hardware/devices....which won't happen, at least not with PC hardware.

n7

n7
-n7- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2009, 12:36 AM   #16
theshadowcult
Radeon Arctic Islands

theshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled with

If its a success i give it 2 years before mainstream marketing. Hell we still have not even seen Memristor products even in demo yet. If a development that completely replaces both ram and hardrives and is at least as fast as ddr2 ram has not made it to main stream marketing yet, why would this?
Feather_Of_A_Phoenix: Nah I think it's utterly ridiculous when I invalidate someones very existence and they get mad at me. Like the **** I was just attacking an integral part of you! Why you gotta get mad at me?
theshadowcult is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2009, 09:14 AM   #17
jolle
Hipster Dufus

jolle can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyjolle can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyjolle can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Sounds a bit like a GPU.
Kinda depends on how these "cores" look I guess.
Old Oct 29, 2009, 02:02 PM   #18
javiermq
Radeon Volcanic Islands

javiermq is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
In most cases I would agree Jim, but there is something special here. If these 100 processors perform much more quickly (orders of magnitude quicker) than Intel's or AMD's parts than sure as all heck programmers will recompile for it.

I mean we are not talking minor increases in speed here, we are talking a fight between 8 cores and 100 cores. That and it will run on half the juice and be just as affordable. That isn't competition, that's a game changer.

Exactly. It would be great to finally break from the decades old x86 intel-made architecture and developers started making native apps for other better architectures instead. It's about time for a CPU refresh on pcs since the 80s. Didnt older windows had support for alpha, or mips and such? If it gets enough attention from let's say benchmarks of it running linux for example, software companies might consider adding support for it.
02:55 Mackey-IW
No, PC has custom stuff like mouse control, text chat in game, and graphics settings.

Steam's Logic on currency: $1 =€1
The euro is just a european version of the dollar! ITS TEH SAME THING!!

Last edited by javiermq : Oct 29, 2009 at 02:06 PM.
javiermq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2009, 10:29 PM   #19
theshadowcult
Radeon Arctic Islands

theshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled with

In theory what would be better, a 100 cpus running at 2.0ghz hurts each or a dual/quad running at 50ghz?

I was just thinking back to those tests they were doing with the Surrounding gate transistors, i wonder if we will see both...
Feather_Of_A_Phoenix: Nah I think it's utterly ridiculous when I invalidate someones very existence and they get mad at me. Like the **** I was just attacking an integral part of you! Why you gotta get mad at me?
theshadowcult is online now   Reply With Quote