Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Graphics Technology Forums » AMD Radeon Discussion and Support
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

AMD Radeon Discussion and Support General discussion, tweaking, overclocking and technical support questions about discrete Radeon graphics products.

Old Mar 2, 2012, 11:57 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
badsykes
Radeon Arctic Islands

badsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete stranger

Default Full unlocked 6950 on intel platfom

Hello

I want to report an intersting after upgrading:
Old system was:
Phenom II 940BE 3.ghz not oced, Gigabyte MA790X Ud3p, 4gb ram, unlocked 6950 with twin turbo pro..

Now i made an upgrade to a i5 750, MSI p55-GD65, 8gb 1333ghz ram, the vga is the same.Both had w7 x64, latest drivers, updates etc...Also both CPU's were cooled by the Scythe Kama Angle

When i unlocked the 6950 with a 6970 bios the games freezed after a while or exihibit different locking and stuff.I had to lower the core and memory clocks to the 6950 levels and i could get a perfectly stable platform...This downclocking was on the AMD rig...
On the Intel rig i installed my windows 7 x64 again from scratch and i was anxiosly to test the stability of the system if it crash and stuff and as usually i forgot to install MSI afterburner to lower the clocks for the VGA to 6950 and i had no crash...First i runned 3dmark 11 demo and i passed all the tests from first..I realieazed that i forgot to downclock later after 3dmark 11 finished succesefully ..I was amazed about this..
Also i played Half Life 2 Deathmatch for a couple of hours and no crash....Played Skyrim same ... no crash..Now i don't have to downclock the card anymore.

Did anyone encountered this intersting situation between amd and intel platforms ...I had NO crash with intel and i played both games and all perfect...The i5 is so cooool at temperature...When idle the Kama angle aluminium fins are cold ...
I didn't have any overclocking because i don't really need it...
Old Mar 5, 2012, 06:19 AM   #2
KAC
KAC

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

lol welcome to world of randomness. Can't believe or understand why you needed to downclock on an AMD platform..

Congrats on having a full 6970 now .
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2012, 01:37 PM   #3
badsykes
Radeon Arctic Islands

badsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete stranger

congrats to randomess.....
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Mar 16, 2012, 02:00 PM   #4
Danny Nissan
high quality troll

Danny Nissan can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyDanny Nissan can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

So not only did your CPU get better, but the graphics card got a boost as well!

Enjoy!
ASUS PG279Q | ASUS Strix GTX 1080 Ti OC 2025MHz/12.2GHz | Intel i7 3770K 4.7GHz [Noctua NH-U12P SE2] | 2x8GB G.Skill TridentX DDR3-2400 10-12-12-31-1T | Fractal Design R4 | Be Quiet! Straight Power CM E9 580W | ASUS Maximus V Gene | SteelSeries Rival 310 | Qpad MK-50 | Sennheiser HD-555 | SupremeFX III | Samsung 850 Evo 250GB + 840 Evo 250GB | WD Caviar Black 1TB | Windows 10 Professional

iPhone 8 Plus
Danny Nissan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2012, 08:04 AM   #5
badsykes
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Nissan View Post
So not only did your CPU get better, but the graphics card got a boost as well!

Enjoy!

This situation is paradoxal ... both cpu are same gen 2009 ...
The stability of the unlocked 6950 was thing that i didn't thought about when made the upgrade ) .. is a welcome bonus :P