Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Community and Site Discussions » Distributed Computing (Team Rage3D)
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Distributed Computing (Team Rage3D) Home of the Team Rage3D [email protected] project. Get [email protected] info, download information, and details on how to join the Team. Team Rage3D progress updates posted here daily.

Old Oct 16, 2019, 04:23 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
jima13
Retired

jima13 is still being judged by the masses

Folding@home Slowdowns?

Noticed a drop in my production a few weeks back. Was checking some systems and noticed gpu's sitting on ready, and while rebooting got them working again it didn't stick so now I get to babysit them more than I'd like...at least the 2080ti is finally putting out what I bought it for. I'll be moving it to my new gaming system shortly
jima13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2019, 01:33 PM   #2
absolutefunk
Insert witty remark here

absolutefunk is still being judged by the masses

There are a couple of servers hosted at Temple which seem to have intermittent network problems. I was also having issues with my GPU slots hanging at WU download up until last week.

AXP-M 2400+ AQYHA; [email protected]
Asus A7N8X-E 1012 trats cpc=on
Crucial 1024mb PC3200; [email protected] (3-3-3-8)
Thermalright SP97 /w Delta 80mm
1X WD 2500JD
1X WD 600BB
Antec P160 /w TruePower 430w
ATi Radeon AIW 9800pro
Adaptec 2490uw SCSI /w 2x Plextor CD/CD-R

Folding @ Home: the only useful way to use that extra CPU... and possible GPU... time!!
absolutefunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2020, 10:42 AM   #3
Lupine
Administrator

Lupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

[email protected]?

Is this a consistent issue? Just rejoined the effort yesterday, so my data range is obviously very limited, but logged into the home Ryzen / Fury rig to see both CPU & GPU sitting idle.
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Mar 18, 2020, 01:12 PM   #4
Crawdaddy79
Radeon 8500

Crawdaddy79 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Crawdaddy79 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Crawdaddy79 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Crawdaddy79 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Crawdaddy79 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Crawdaddy79 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Slow here as well. If I let it sit it will go hours without downloading a WU.
Crawdaddy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2020, 04:40 PM   #5
Lupine
Administrator

Lupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

Quite possibly unrelated, but when I closed down and restarted the client instead of pausing / unpausing it pulled new WUs.

edit: yeah, random. PC here is playing the waiting game, and no level of prompting makes a difference.

Last edited by Lupine : Mar 18, 2020 at 05:00 PM.
Lupine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2020, 06:36 PM   #6
aRandomRobot
Returned Lurker

aRandomRobot is still being judged by the masses

Yeah, I have to babysit the client to keep it from sitting idle which so far has been pretty easy since I'm working from for the foreseeable future. It seems like there are narrow windows where the servers are up and able to issue WUs and if the client misses the window it just sits idle all day with some absurd long timeout. According to the official [email protected] twitter things should get better in the coming days as more server capacity is brought online. The WUs are there you just have to catch the server at the right time.
aRandomRobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2020, 07:26 PM   #7
jima13
Retired

Folding@home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupine View Post
[email protected]?

Is this a consistent issue? Just rejoined the effort yesterday, so my data range is obviously very limited, but logged into the home Ryzen / Fury rig to see both CPU & GPU sitting idle.
Yep, that's all happening. A post on the Fah forums is trying to explain it...the combination of new servers coming online and wu's being uploaded plus the number of new folders thanks to CV caused an overload? shortage?....I wish there was a way to limit the retrys to something like 30 min. max as I see next try in 5 hrs ...unless I reboot, and my hdd already sounds like a machine gun
Old Mar 18, 2020, 09:36 PM   #8
Lupine
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jima13 View Post
my hdd already sounds like a machine gun
HDD? Arcane wizardry afoot!
Old Mar 19, 2020, 01:56 AM   #9
jima13
Retired

Smile

Quote:
HDD? Arcane wizardry afoot!
Yep, relegated to using the storage drive when the Samsung EVO died

I have all the parts for another system, Ryzen 7 3700, x570, 2 Corsair 1tb MP600 M.2 NVMe...will move a 2080ti I have in a office system to the new gaming rig and I'll split the 2 1080ti in this rig...when all is done it will be 2080ti, 3 1080ti in seperate systems and my garage rig with 2 980ti... I know
Old Mar 19, 2020, 02:51 AM   #10
Lupine
Administrator

Quote:
Yep, relegated to using the storage drive when the Samsung EVO died

I have all the parts for another system, Ryzen 7 3700, x570, 2 Corsair 1tb MP600 M.2 NVMe...will move a 2080ti I have in a office system to the new gaming rig and I'll split the 2 1080ti in this rig...when all is done it will be 2080ti, 3 1080ti in seperate systems and my garage rig with 2 980ti... I know
You need help, and I shall help you by giving you my mailing address.

Old Mar 19, 2020, 10:14 AM   #11
Crawdaddy79
Radeon 8500

Crawdaddy79 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Crawdaddy79 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Crawdaddy79 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Crawdaddy79 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Crawdaddy79 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Crawdaddy79 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Whoa - My CPU completed a WU, uploaded, then immediately started working on another WU. I think that's the first time this has happened this week.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 11:21 AM   #12
Lupine
Administrator

CPU idle. GPU working.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 12:37 PM   #13
jima13
Retired

Folding@home

Quote:
You need help, and I shall help you by giving you my mailing address.

I'll send ya my electric bill
Old Mar 19, 2020, 01:12 PM   #14
gamefoo21
Rage Furry X

gamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
CPU idle. GPU working.
That's how it is for me.

Then it switched from COVID-19 to something to do with muscles.

It was interesting because one machine was working on the virus, while the other was working on the 'vaccine'.

*sigh*

Heatware
gamefoo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2020, 01:32 PM   #15
Lupine
Administrator

Quote:
I'll send ya my electric bill
Hrm, this isn't going where intended.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 03:24 PM   #16
Android1
Radeon Polaris 20 XL

Android1 knows why the caged bird singsAndroid1 knows why the caged bird singsAndroid1 knows why the caged bird singsAndroid1 knows why the caged bird singsAndroid1 knows why the caged bird sings

Neither my CPU nor my GPU slots are getting any WUs at all. Is anyone else having the same problem?
Android1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2020, 03:41 PM   #17
jima13
Retired

Folding@home

https://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=32424

This is what Bruce posted about the issue...
Old Mar 19, 2020, 03:54 PM   #18
Android1
Radeon Polaris 20 XL

Android1 knows why the caged bird singsAndroid1 knows why the caged bird singsAndroid1 knows why the caged bird singsAndroid1 knows why the caged bird singsAndroid1 knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
https://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=32424

This is what Bruce posted about the issue...
Thanks. I will assume that the issue is with them for now.

By the way, who is Bruce?
Old Mar 19, 2020, 04:20 PM   #19
jima13
Retired

Folding@home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Android1 View Post
Thanks. I will assume that the issue is with them for now.

By the way, who is Bruce?
Bruce is one of the forum admins...
Old Mar 19, 2020, 05:55 PM   #20
Android1
Radeon Polaris 20 XL

Quote:
Bruce is one of the forum admins...
Gotcha. Thanks.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 02:58 AM   #21
aRandomRobot
Returned Lurker

aRandomRobot is still being judged by the masses

I think maybe it’s fixed? My GPU has been crunching on a steady supply of WUs this evening for the first time this week. Hopefully this continues so we can actually see a ppd boost from all the new and returning folders
aRandomRobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2020, 02:18 PM   #22
DarkFoss
Radeon R700

DarkFoss can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyDarkFoss can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

More Covid-19 cpu wu's are on the way atleast for those running the advance flag according to this beta thread today will hit the new assignment servers too.
HTML Code:
https://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=32888
Old Mar 21, 2020, 08:27 PM   #23
Crawdaddy79
Radeon 8500

Just now I have a record 42 attempts over the course of 8 hours before a WU got downloaded. I'd been pausing/unpausing periodically but it wasn't working.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 08:57 PM   #24
Android1
Radeon Polaris 20 XL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawdaddy79 View Post
Just now I have a record 42 attempts over the course of 8 hours before a WU got downloaded. I'd been pausing/unpausing periodically but it wasn't working.
Have you tried killing the client in Task Manager and restarting it? I had a bit of trouble getting my last WU, but nothing as serious as what you described.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 12:06 PM   #25
Android1
Radeon Polaris 20 XL

I am having problems with the servers right now like everyone else, but I am experiencing a different issue. When my client is able to download a GPU work unit, the client says that the WU is is bad. This occurs right after download and has been happening for the past twelve hours. Has anyone else had this happen to them?
Old Mar 23, 2020, 12:23 PM   #26
Crawdaddy79
Radeon 8500

I've seen that message about three times in the last few days. I don't think it's for us to worry about. Whoever is producing the WU isn't packaging them correctly, according to some post on the Folding forum.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 01:19 PM   #27
DarkFoss
Radeon R700

DarkFoss can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyDarkFoss can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Android1 View Post
I am having problems with the servers right now like everyone else, but I am experiencing a different issue. When my client is able to download a GPU work unit, the client says that the WU is is bad. This occurs right after download and has been happening for the past twelve hours. Has anyone else had this happen to them?
AMD card? What error in particular I see this one crop up the wu never starts folding just fails the check and gets sent off.
Code:
ERROR:exception: Error invoking kernel sortShortList: clEnqueueNDRangeKernel (-5)
Also there is even talk about banning AMD cards from certain wu's with very large atom counts per this thread.
HTML Code:
https://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=81&t=32771
From Joe H (site admin)
Quote:
Someone else looked at this kind of error, it appears from their research that there is a limit set in the AMD OpenCL support that may be causing problems if the size of the WU exceeds some large number of atoms. This will need to be checked into, it is not clear whether this just applies to some version of the drivers, is actually the problem, and so on. The projects running into this error may get restricted from assignments to AMD GPU's at some point, a report was passed on to the [email protected] group. Or the fix might be something else, too soon to be more definite.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 03:58 PM   #28
Android1
Radeon Polaris 20 XL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawdaddy79 View Post
I've seen that message about three times in the last few days. I don't think it's for us to worry about. Whoever is producing the WU isn't packaging them correctly, according to some post on the Folding forum.
Are you referring to this thread? That would explain my problem perfectly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkFoss View Post
AMD card? What error in particular I see this one crop up the wu never starts folding just fails the check and gets sent off.
Code:
ERROR:exception: Error invoking kernel sortShortList: clEnqueueNDRangeKernel (-5)
Also there is even talk about banning AMD cards from certain wu's with very large atom counts per this thread.
HTML Code:
https://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=81&t=32771
From Joe H (site admin)
I have an AMD Radeon RX 570, and that is the exact same error that I have been getting. Check out the latest post in the thread that I linked to in my reply to Crawdaddy79. It looks as though the issue might be with the WUs.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 04:38 PM   #29
Turbo_Rage3d_
Blessed to be here!

Turbo_Rage3d_ is still being judged by the masses

I've been having the same problem getting WUs for my GPUs. I decided to start folding on my 3900x and it's pulling WUs consistantly.

Hope they get it sorted out soon. I miss the ppd I was getting with my 5700xt , gtx 1070, & 5700 (flashed to an xt).

Thankfully I'm not seeing any errors on any of the cards, just not get WUs consistantly at all, even killing [email protected] in task manger & restarting. It will get better soon I'm sure.
Turbo_Rage3d_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2020, 04:40 PM   #30
Turbo_Rage3d_
Blessed to be here!

Turbo_Rage3d_ is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo_Rage3d_ View Post
I've been having the same problem getting WUs for my GPUs. I decided to start folding on my 3900x and it's pulling WUs consistantly.

Hope they get it sorted out soon. I miss the ppd I was getting with my 5700xt , gtx 1070, & 5700 (flashed to an xt).

Thankfully I'm not seeing any errors on any of the cards, just not get WUs consistantly at all, even killing [email protected] in task manger & restarting. It will get better soon I'm sure.
After I posted this I decided to log into my main rig at home and finally it got a WU!! Woooohoooooo!! LOL
Turbo_Rage3d_ is offline   Reply With Quote