Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Graphics Technology Forums » AMD Radeon Discussion and Support
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

AMD Radeon Discussion and Support General discussion, tweaking, overclocking and technical support questions about discrete Radeon graphics products.

Old Mar 5, 2020, 09:56 PM   #31
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
pax
Rage3D Spammer

pax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird sings

RDNA2 only end of year but seems impressive improvement in perf per watt by claiming another 50% improvement.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/15592...on-the-horizon

Gobs of info here basically the days entire presentation:

https://www.techpowerup.com/264529/a...2020-live-blog

Notable info is it supports DXR 1.1 vs Turing 1.0...

Piledriver Rig 2016: Gigabyte G1 gaming 990fx. FX 8350 cpu. Asus R290 DCUII Cats 20.5.1, SoundBlaster ZXR, 2 x 8 gig ddr3 1866 Kingston. 1 x 2tb Firecuda seagate with 8 gig mlc SSHD. Sharp 60" 4k 60 hz tv. Win 10 home.

Ryzen Rig 2017: Gigabyte X370 K7 F50a bios. Ryzen 1700x. 2 x 8 ddr4 3600 (@3200) Gskill. Sapphire Vega 64 Reference Cooler Cats 20.5.1. Soundblaster X Ae5 May 10th 2018 driver. 28" Upstar 4k ips 60hz panel, Kingston A2000 1TB NVME. 4 TB HGST NAS HD. Win 10 pro.

Ignore List: Keystone... -My Baron he wishes to inform you that vendetta, as he puts it in the ancient tongue, the art of kanlee is still alive... He does not wish to meet or speak with you...-
"Either half my colleagues are enormously stupid, or else the science of darwinism is fully compatible with conventional religious beliefs and equally compatible with atheism." -Stephen Jay Gould, Rock of Ages.
"The Intelligibility of the Universe itself needs explanation. It is not the gaps of understanding of the world that points to God but rather the very comprehensibility of scientific and other forms of understanding that requires an explanation." -Richard Swinburne

www.realitysandwich.com

www.makepovertyhistory.org
pax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2020, 11:36 PM   #32
pax
Rage3D Spammer

pax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird sings

Another tidbit of note is they are calling it RDNA 2x... as in 2x the perf. Which would mean 50% faster than a 2080ti when doubling the 5700xt perf.

Piledriver Rig 2016: Gigabyte G1 gaming 990fx. FX 8350 cpu. Asus R290 DCUII Cats 20.5.1, SoundBlaster ZXR, 2 x 8 gig ddr3 1866 Kingston. 1 x 2tb Firecuda seagate with 8 gig mlc SSHD. Sharp 60" 4k 60 hz tv. Win 10 home.

Ryzen Rig 2017: Gigabyte X370 K7 F50a bios. Ryzen 1700x. 2 x 8 ddr4 3600 (@3200) Gskill. Sapphire Vega 64 Reference Cooler Cats 20.5.1. Soundblaster X Ae5 May 10th 2018 driver. 28" Upstar 4k ips 60hz panel, Kingston A2000 1TB NVME. 4 TB HGST NAS HD. Win 10 pro.

Ignore List: Keystone... -My Baron he wishes to inform you that vendetta, as he puts it in the ancient tongue, the art of kanlee is still alive... He does not wish to meet or speak with you...-
"Either half my colleagues are enormously stupid, or else the science of darwinism is fully compatible with conventional religious beliefs and equally compatible with atheism." -Stephen Jay Gould, Rock of Ages.
"The Intelligibility of the Universe itself needs explanation. It is not the gaps of understanding of the world that points to God but rather the very comprehensibility of scientific and other forms of understanding that requires an explanation." -Richard Swinburne

www.realitysandwich.com

Old Mar 6, 2020, 01:47 AM   #33
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

bill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
Originally Posted by pax View Post
Another tidbit of note is they are calling it RDNA 2x... as in 2x the perf. Which would mean 50% faster than a 2080ti when doubling the 5700xt perf.
Quote:
AMD Says its Upcoming RDNA 2 and Navi 2x Will Boost Performance per Watt by 50%
Quote:
What does that mean, exactly? That's where things get very murky. If AMD includes ray tracing performance in any fashion, it should be trivial to achieve a 50% improvement in performance per Watt. Assuming it's more than that, however, and either AMD is looking to provide 50% more performance than current RDNA 1 parts at the same power levels, or else cut power requirements by 33% while keeping performance the same, or most likely RDNA 2 will land somewhere in between those two.
Quote:
By our own benchmarks, the RTX 2080 Ti is currently the fastest consumer graphics card, beating the RX 5700 XT by about 31% on average. That's not the whole story, however. The RTX 2080 Ti is only 15% faster than the 5700 XT at 1080p medium, 25% faster at 1080p ultra, 40% faster at 1440p ultra, and 50% faster at 4K ultra. The problem is that the RTX 2080 Ti will be two years old this fall, and Nvidia is expected to launch its next-generation Ampere GPUs this year as well.
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/am...att-50-percent

so it needs to be 60%+ faster than a RX 5700 XT at 4k ultra to beat a 2080 ti if they are going for the 4k market like they say
16gb and much more memory bandwidth of a RX 5700 XT to do 4k 60/120 well
HBM2e would do that

it will most likely be a 300+ watt card even with a 50% improvement in performance per Watt
bill dennison is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Mar 6, 2020, 11:01 AM   #34
Treeckcold57
Good ol' ATI

Treeckcold57 knows why the caged bird singsTreeckcold57 knows why the caged bird singsTreeckcold57 knows why the caged bird singsTreeckcold57 knows why the caged bird singsTreeckcold57 knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill dennison View Post
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/am...att-50-percent

so it needs to be 60%+ faster than a RX 5700 XT at 4k ultra to beat a 2080 ti if they are going for the 4k market like they say
16gb and much more memory bandwidth of a RX 5700 XT to do 4k 60/120 well
HBM2e would do that

it will most likely be a 300+ watt card even with a 50% improvement in performance per Watt
So I probably need around 50-60% faster at 1440p Ultra. But I still need to buy both Zen 3 and big navi to see a big gain. Otherwise I won't be seeing much gain if I only upgrade from Vega 56 to big navi while I'm stuck on 1st gen Zen CPU.

AMD Phenom II X2 555 @ stock clock
Xigamtek Knight cooler
ASUS M4A79XTD EVO
G.Skill 8GB DDR3 1333 (4x4GB)
Intel 530 240GB SSD
XFX ATI Radeon 4870 1GB
Antec Truepower 750W
NZXT Source 210
Windows 7 x64

AMD FX-8350 @ stock clock
Gigabyte GA-990FX-UD5 R5
G.Skill Sniper 16GB (8x2) DDR3 1866
Arctic Freezer 7 Pro 7 rev. 2
Gigabyte Windforce 7950 3GB Ghz Edition
Samsung 840 Pro 128GB SSD
EVGA SuperNova 650W
NZXT Source 210 w/ two Noctua F-12 fans
Ubuntu MATE 64-bit
Intel i5 3570K @ stock clock | G.Skill 16GB (8GBx2) DDR3 1866 | Silicon Power 60GB SSD | Win 10 Pro x64 | NZXT Source 210
Treeckcold57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2020, 04:47 PM   #35
EYE4LYFE
Radeon R600

EYE4LYFE can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyEYE4LYFE can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

ATI Technologies

AMD’s Big Navi 7nm GPU Flagship Allegedly Features 505mm² Large Die And RDNA2 – Suggests 2x The Performance Of The RX 5700XT

The 7nm flagship in question, which could likely be called the AMD RX 5950 XT (or anything else really, AMD is free to shake things up you know), will feature a huge 505 mm² die that based on simple maths will offer at least 2x the performance of the 'smol Navi' RX 5700 XT GPU.

The RX 5700XT contains 40 CUs based on RDNA1 architecture and the upcoming RX 5950XT (or whatever AMD decides to call it) based on Navi 21 GPU could easily contain 80 CUs based on these numbers. This would result in a grand total of 5120 stream processors. Not counting any efficiency improvements going from RDNA1 to RDNA2 (which there certainly will be), this is a performance increase of at least 2x.

Source
EYE4LYFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2020, 05:21 PM   #36
Greasy
Raiding Curio's Stable

Greasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Nv seems to be trying to wait them out to see just what they have here. I guess they want to try and keep that ridiculous price point alive. I'm ready for a new card, so somebody needs to deliver asap.
Greasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2020, 02:37 PM   #37
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

bill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
AMD Raytracing Allegedly Exclusive To High-End RDNA 2 Navi 2X GPUs, Low-End RDNA 2 GPUs Focus on Power Efficiency And Compete Against Turing GeForce 16 Series
https://wccftech.com/amd-raytracing-...-navi-2x-gpus/
Old Apr 29, 2020, 02:52 PM   #38
Gandalfthewhite
Hardware Enthusiast

Gandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled with

Subscriber

I mean I am ok with that I still say the 2060 / S should not be used for ray tracing and if you want to enable that feature you should be getting a 2070S.

as for 3 navi 2 cards this looks like a full stack lineup and id expect the new cards to be the 6xxx series starting with the highend release and slowly launching the other cards over the course of 2021.

HOURGLASS = most appropriate named ICON/CURSOR in the Windows world :-)

In a dank corner of ATI central, the carpet covered with corn flakes, the faint sound of clicking can be heard........Click......click, click............as the fate of the graphics world and the future of the human race hangs in the balance.

I know....I know........Keep my day job :-)- catcather
Gandalfthewhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2020, 05:13 PM   #39
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalfthewhite View Post
I mean I am ok with that I still say the 2060 / S should not be used for ray tracing and if you want to enable that feature you should be getting a 2070S.

as for 3 navi 2 cards this looks like a full stack lineup and id expect the new cards to be the 6xxx series starting with the highend release and slowly launching the other cards over the course of 2021.
Radeon TX 3080
Old May 6, 2020, 03:23 PM   #40
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
AMD Encourages Radeon RX 5600 XT Owners To Upgrade Memory To 14 Gbps
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/am...ory-to-14-gbps
Old May 9, 2020, 09:36 PM   #41
Megaman
Packing heat!

Megaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

What’s the expected ETA on this?
Megaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2020, 09:42 PM   #42
pax
Rage3D Spammer

Last they said end of the year. But I suppose if Nvidia makes enough of a splash on the 14th it could speed things up a bit.

www.realitysandwich.com

Old May 9, 2020, 10:01 PM   #43
Megaman
Packing heat!

Megaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

OK so Q4. It’ll compete with 30XX. We should expect a pricing war. At least we are all hoping for one.
Megaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2020, 10:16 AM   #44
Nascar24
EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black

Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megaman View Post
OK so Q4. It’ll compete with 30XX. We should expect a pricing war. At least we are all hoping for one.
Only if it lives up to the 3080 speeds. I was hoping for both at the same time but depending on price I will probably pick up the 3080 if it comes out first and Nvidia doesn't raise the price from the 2080 standard series, otherwise I will wait.
Nascar24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2020, 02:37 PM   #45
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

i honestly think the navi 2x could be 10% faster than the 3080 ti and nvidia would just ignore it and still price the 3080 ti 50% higher

and a lot of people would still buy NV
Old May 10, 2020, 05:22 PM   #46
Nagorak
Incarnation of the Nether

Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

I wonder with the economic fallout from COVID-19 if Nvidia can really get away with charging that much. A lot of people are not going to be making as much money as usual, so demand could be a lot softer.
Nagorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2020, 03:55 AM   #47
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

Nvidia doesn't care they think they are a status symbol at this point
and many have already but the money away to get their fix and Nvidia kmows it
they can always drop prices a bit after the first rush

and COVID-19 will drive manufacturing costs sky high

i don't think navi 2x will be cheap if it is faster than a 2080 ti and or 3080 non ti
Old May 21, 2020, 05:14 PM   #48
NWR_Midnight
Radeon Caribbean Islands

NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

~I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability. ~ Ron White
~You can't fix Stupid! ~ Ron White
~There's not a pill you can take; there's not a class you can go to. - ~Stupid is forever. ~ Ron White
~Life is a hard teacher, it gives you the test before it teaches you the lesson.
~It's never to late to have a good childhood! The older you are, the better the toys! ~ My Dad
~Live everyday as though it is your last, it can all end at any moment!
NWR_Midnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2020, 06:15 PM   #49
pax
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill dennison View Post
Nvidia doesn't care they think they are a status symbol at this point
and many have already but the money away to get their fix and Nvidia kmows it
they can always drop prices a bit after the first rush

and COVID-19 will drive manufacturing costs sky high

i don't think navi 2x will be cheap if it is faster than a 2080 ti and or 3080 non ti
Neither will be but one is using a massive 800+ mm2 die while Navi2x is ~505 mm2. Itll be interesting to see what perf per mm2 they get out of either architectures. If full Navi2x is close in perf to the full RTX 3k it will say a lot about where things are going.

www.realitysandwich.com

Old May 21, 2020, 09:18 PM   #50
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by pax View Post
Neither will be but one is using a massive 800+ mm2 die while Navi2x is ~505 mm2. Itll be interesting to see what perf per mm2 they get out of either architectures. If full Navi2x is close in perf to the full RTX 3k it will say a lot about where things are going.
i think Navi2x will be somewhere between 750 to 999

if it is 50% faster than 2080 ti that may put it close enough to the 3080 ti to kill NV's pricing

and if the 3080 ti is 800+ mm it is going to cost out the ass to make and with low yields
and NV's low 7nm wafer supply will make it hard to get and prices will be sky high

all a win for AMD if they don't **** it up again

Last edited by bill dennison : May 21, 2020 at 09:41 PM.
Old May 21, 2020, 09:54 PM   #51
pax
Rage3D Spammer

Yea Id bet on a grand for the full navi2x. Or 1500$ in canuckian deniros...

They've had those prices before with the 295 x2 when perf justified it and everything indicates they have a winner this time. Just looking at the consoles perf uplift tells us a bit. AMD def got more Wang this time. That guy was a legend at ATI in the day. It doesnt need to beat the next Titan card to go there pricewise or even the 3080ti.

www.realitysandwich.com

Old May 30, 2020, 03:31 PM   #52
Nascar24

Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

I'm still amazed 2080Ti's are still selling for retail!
Old May 30, 2020, 11:13 PM   #53
Nagorak
Incarnation of the Nether

Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nascar24 View Post
I'm still amazed 2080Ti's are still selling for retail!
Used 1080 Tis are also still selling for over $500, in some cases over $600. Granted some of that may be a result of the COVID-19 supply chain disruptions.
Nagorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2020, 04:15 PM   #54
Nascar24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagorak View Post
Used 1080 Tis are also still selling for over $500, in some cases over $600. Granted some of that may be a result of the COVID-19 supply chain disruptions.
Would be nice to get that price for my 1080 Ti after I upgrade to one of the new cards.
Old May 31, 2020, 05:40 PM   #55
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

i need to replace one of my 980 poseidon's with my 1080 ti
Old Jun 2, 2020, 12:42 AM   #56
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Mysterious AMD RDNA 2 GPU Codenamed Sienna Cichlid Spotted in Linux Patches, Speculated To Be The Big Navi GPU For Enthusiast Radeon RX Graphics Cards
https://wccftech.com/amd-rdna-2-sien...cards-spotted/

Old Jun 2, 2020, 10:50 AM   #57
pax
Rage3D Spammer

Virtually certain with the video decode/encode model now at 3.0 from 2.0 on Navi 10. Also driver timed to be available for august to oct so timeframe is correct.

www.realitysandwich.com

Old Jun 2, 2020, 12:23 PM   #58
evrt63
Radeon R200

evrt63 is still being judged by the masses

looking to replace my fury X with this.....to be honest any news, even hype is something I'm interested in..
Old Jun 3, 2020, 05:28 PM   #59
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
AMD RDNA 2 GPUs Coming To PC First, Next Gen Consoles Later – Big Navi ‘Halo’ & Mainstream Radeon RX Graphics Cards With 2nd Gen Navi Later This Year
Quote:
AMD has confirmed that its RDNA 2 'Big Navi' GPU will be coming to Radeon RX graphics cards for the PC platform before next-generation consoles from Sony & Microsoft.
https://wccftech.com/amd-big-navi-rd...onsoles-later/
Old Jun 4, 2020, 11:54 AM   #60
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Report: AMD Big Navi GPU Predicted to Launch in September
Quote:
Kumar also stated that the Big Navi GPU will be a halo product: "enthusiasts love to buy the best, and we are certainly working on giving them the best," further explaining that later along, the RDNA2 blood in the Big Navi GPU will trickle down into the rest of the Radeon lineup.
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/AM...h-in-September