Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

Old Jun 22, 2022, 03:11 PM   #1801
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
acroig
Troll SMod

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Ya but imagine if you had gone for the 11900K.... you'd be pissed after seeing the 12900K.

I don't think AMD does that but you get my point?
acroig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2022, 03:21 PM   #1802
the_sextein
Radeon Southern Islands

the_sextein knows why the caged bird singsthe_sextein knows why the caged bird singsthe_sextein knows why the caged bird singsthe_sextein knows why the caged bird singsthe_sextein knows why the caged bird singsthe_sextein knows why the caged bird sings

I'm not sure that I would. Yes the 12900K is better but if you did your research then you knew what performance you were paying for on the 11900K and you were good with that. The 12900K isn't doing alot that my old 9900K isn't doing because of the GPU limitation. That will change when the 4000 series comes out from Nvidia but until then it was a pointless upgrade. Might as well upgrade your CPU when the next big GPU drops and let it ride for four more years. That's what I'm gonna do. Different strokes...
the_sextein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2022, 05:22 PM   #1803
Megaman
Packing heat!

Megaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by acroig View Post
I love the multi spec headline only to end it with (rumor).
Megaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jun 22, 2022, 05:34 PM   #1804
acroig
Troll SMod

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megaman View Post
I love the multi spec headline only to end it with (rumor).
Well until parts release you can only speculate.
acroig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2022, 07:27 PM   #1805
pax
Rage3D Spammer

pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Looking forward to see how much better the 7800x3d is from my 5800x3d. Being so gpu bound tho its hard to imagine its worth the added expense of ram and mobo on top of cpu.

Also saw my buds new 5800x non 3d tonight and damn is it ever a cool running chip. 27c idle on a Corsair h100x and 65c on gaming load. His cooler is not much diff from my DC 280mm aio. Heck I idle at 60-65c on the aio. Gaming load is at 65-70c but the aio pump/fan ramps at gaming.

Huge diff in perf but def huge diff in heat as well especially at idle/desktop. Hope they fix that in the next gen. Im not seeing any throttling from heat but I wonder if at some point game engines like Unreal 5 will push the cpu hard enough to do so.

Piledriver Rig 2016: Gigabyte G1 gaming 990fx. FX 8350 cpu. XFX RX 480 GTR Cats 21.6.1, SoundBlaster ZXR, 2 x 8 gig ddr3 1866 Kingston. 1 x 2tb Firecuda seagate with 8 gig mlc SSHD. Sharp 60" 4k 60 hz tv. Win 10 home.

Ryzen Rig 2017: Gigabyte X370 K7 F50d bios. Ryzen 5800X3D :). 2 x 8 ddr4 3600 (@3200) Cas 16 Gskill. Sapphire Vega 64 Reference Cooler Cats 22.4.1. 1700 mhz @1.1v. Soundblaster X Ae5, 32" Dell S3220DGF 1440p Freesync Premium Pro monitor, Kingston A2000 1TB NVME. 4 TB HGST NAS HD. Win 11 pro.

Ignore List: Keystone, Andino... -My Baron, he wishes to inform you that vendetta, as he puts it in the ancient tongue, the art of kanlee is still alive... He does not wish to meet or speak with you...-
"Either half my colleagues are enormously stupid, or else the science of darwinism is fully compatible with conventional religious beliefs and equally compatible with atheism." -Stephen Jay Gould, Rock of Ages.
"The Intelligibility of the Universe itself needs explanation. It is not the gaps of understanding of the world that points to God but rather the very comprehensibility of scientific and other forms of understanding that requires an explanation." -Richard Swinburne

www.realitysandwich.com

www.makepovertyhistory.org
pax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2022, 12:23 PM   #1806
Nagorak
Incarnation of the Nether

Nagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwards

I've started coming around to the view that chasing after a CPU bottleneck is kind of a waste of time at high refresh rates. Most of the time you are GPU limited anyway, but more importantly in cases where you're CPU limited, you're so CPU limited that another 20-30% just isn't going to be enough to change it much.

Depending how you look at it, either you accept 100-115 FPS is already good enough, or on the other hand 145-150FPS still isn't good enough. For the most part you're not going to end up getting over 200 FPS in games that are severely CPU limited without a lot more performance than is on offer by the next generation or two.
Nagorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2022, 06:59 PM   #1807
Riptide
Avtomat Kalashnikova 1947

Riptide can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyRiptide can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

I've been kinda thinking along those lines lately too. Wondering if at 4K whether there is really much to be gained with upgrading to AM5. I already have a 5950x.

In the end I like having the latest and greatest even if it is expensive. It is kind of hard to justify though especially with CPU updates when the only truly taxing thing you put your computer through is games at 4K.

AMD Ryzen 5950X
32GB GSkill PC 3600
ASUS TUF X570+ WiFi
MSI 3090Ti Suprim X
Riptide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2022, 12:52 AM   #1808
pax
Rage3D Spammer

pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Its still the same basic issue for the last 20+ years . You can run 3-4 gens of gpus on the same cpu but almost never run the same gpu with 2 or more gens of cpus... I can and have waited 5-8 years to upgrade a cpu. But keep a gpu 3-4 years or more and it hurts.

Comparing cpus is more a fun technical exercise than actual expense. I wouldnt buy am5 until the 2nd or third gen and even then. Ive skipped entire sockets like am3.

Piledriver Rig 2016: Gigabyte G1 gaming 990fx. FX 8350 cpu. XFX RX 480 GTR Cats 21.6.1, SoundBlaster ZXR, 2 x 8 gig ddr3 1866 Kingston. 1 x 2tb Firecuda seagate with 8 gig mlc SSHD. Sharp 60" 4k 60 hz tv. Win 10 home.

Ryzen Rig 2017: Gigabyte X370 K7 F50d bios. Ryzen 5800X3D :). 2 x 8 ddr4 3600 (@3200) Cas 16 Gskill. Sapphire Vega 64 Reference Cooler Cats 22.4.1. 1700 mhz @1.1v. Soundblaster X Ae5, 32" Dell S3220DGF 1440p Freesync Premium Pro monitor, Kingston A2000 1TB NVME. 4 TB HGST NAS HD. Win 11 pro.

Ignore List: Keystone, Andino... -My Baron, he wishes to inform you that vendetta, as he puts it in the ancient tongue, the art of kanlee is still alive... He does not wish to meet or speak with you...-
"Either half my colleagues are enormously stupid, or else the science of darwinism is fully compatible with conventional religious beliefs and equally compatible with atheism." -Stephen Jay Gould, Rock of Ages.
"The Intelligibility of the Universe itself needs explanation. It is not the gaps of understanding of the world that points to God but rather the very comprehensibility of scientific and other forms of understanding that requires an explanation." -Richard Swinburne

www.realitysandwich.com

www.makepovertyhistory.org
pax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2022, 02:35 AM   #1809
demo
space cadet

demo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Yeh you're right pax, I generally try to get 2 or 3 gens of GPU per CPU.
Old Jun 24, 2022, 07:35 AM   #1810
the_sextein
Radeon Southern Islands

the_sextein knows why the caged bird singsthe_sextein knows why the caged bird singsthe_sextein knows why the caged bird singsthe_sextein knows why the caged bird singsthe_sextein knows why the caged bird singsthe_sextein knows why the caged bird sings

I agree as well. I usually get:

8 years from computer tower-Two system builds (preference)
8 years from hardrives, (4 years main, 4 years secondary)- two builds
12 years Power supply (10 year warrenty)-3 builds
4 years CPU mobo RAM- 1 build
2 years GPU-1 with build and 1 upgrade mid cycle.-two per build.

I buy a new mobo, ram, GPU and CPU and then wait two years and upgrade the GPU. Then I wait another two years and buy another CPU, mobo, RAM, GPU combo. Been doing this over and over again for a long time. Used to upgrade every three years back when cards came out every year and now I upgrade every 4 or 5 years and upgrade the cards every two years. I would buy two cards at a time for SLI back then but SLI died and cards ironically cost twice as much now.

The GPU is always the limitation of the system. No point upgrading anything until the GPU limitation is raised to the point where it will make your other components limiting. I expect to see that happen when the 4000 series drops as my 9900k is starting to fall behind the competition even though it hasn't made much of a difference in games at 4k other than a few rare instances so far. Double the GPU power and the 12900K will raise ahead of the 9900K by notable amounts even at 4k.

I don't see myself going over 4K on my panel resolution because I don't have enough space to fit a 120 inch screen in my room but I may use DLDSR to super sample at 4k native so I will still be GPU limited for a while. I don't care about frame rates being sky high. 100 FPS averages with 60FPS minimums is fine with me. If I can get 100 to 120fps then great but the difference is hardly notable. Beyond that is pure mental in my opinion. I don't care about refresh rates beyond 120hz either. There is a small uptick in smoothness jumping up from 60hz to 120hz if you can push 100+ FPS frame rates, anything beyond that is going to be negligible unless you are a cyber athlete or like to blindly follow sales trends.

I'm getting about 4K 80FPS averages right now.
Probably see 4K 120FPS averages on 4000 series.
After that the goal would be to use DLDSR on 4K native. Of course we have only reached the tip of the ray traced iceberg so there will be an ever present GPU limitation even after super sampling, resolution, and refresh rates have been conquered.
Maybe Unreal Engine 6 will achieve photorealism in motion and GPU increases will no longer need to be pushed by the industry as hard as they are now. Maybe a day will come where creative AI and CPU limitations will rise to the forefront again, but it's not likely. Not in my lifetime atleast.

Last edited by the_sextein : Jun 24, 2022 at 08:32 AM.
the_sextein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:29 PM   #1811
Mangler
PC

Mangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

AMD can't be happy with Team Group basically confirming Raphael-X.
Mangler is offline   Reply With Quote