Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

Old Dec 18, 2011, 01:15 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
FX-Overclocking
Radeon Arctic Islands

FX-Overclocking once held a door open for a complete strangerFX-Overclocking once held a door open for a complete strangerFX-Overclocking once held a door open for a complete stranger

AMD FX's Droid Razr Review

So a few weeks ago I got a Droid Razr. I wanted to use it for a while solid before posting a review so that I could give you all a FULL impressions. I had a dead pixel problem week or two ago, however, and had to get a replacement. So finally here is my review:

The form factor: The form factor is the biggest deal here. It is pretty darn thin. With the exception of the bump at the top, it is about 20% thinner than even the iPhone 4 series. What's more it is feather light. It IS one of those giant phones, however, as it has a big screen so the height and width is not so slim. But the bottom line is you can front-pocket this phone, unlike other phones this size, thanks to it's thin nature.

The screen: The screen is both big and bright. I have heard others claim this screen is slightly less impressive than an iPhone but when comparing it to an iPhone I wasn't able to notice much. Especially when you factor in the fact that it's a much larger screen. It is also pretty good at being close to the edge, another impressive thing.

Horse Power: Played everything from Angry Birds to Madden on it and it has yet to ever studder or lag. The dragging mechanics are smooth and any glitches I've observed were Android related and not the phone. It browses like a monster... web pages absolutely FLY on this phone. Blows my friend's iPhone 4 away as well as my girlfriend's 4G Inspire. Pages load and work smoothly, no complaints.

Camera: I am NOT a photo buff at all so I could care less here, but for the record the camera more than does the job. It does a nice job of capturing pics without blurring and the flash is pretty powerful. Beyond that I have nothing to say. I think it's a 8MP camera so I'm fine with it.

Call Quality: Don't have complaints here either, used it and it is better than my first gen Droid was. You can crank it up pretty loud and the speaker phone is easy to hear too. Think I have had fewer dropped calls with this too.

Battery: The battery usually lasts about 16-17 hours with normal use. I don't use the internet stuff or game much. It might be closer to 12-14 hours if you do that stuff a lot though. The bottom line is you'll probably need to charge it EVERY single night unless you use a car charger when you drive. This is easily in line with other 4G LTE phones from what I understand though, but also keep in mind you cannot remove the battery. It is built in like the iPhones.

Voice Recognition: One thing I'd like to mention here is that the voice recognition on this for stuff is FAR better than previous Droids I messed with. I hit voice call and say a came and boom, it gets it almost every time. It's nice for when you're in the car or don't have free hands.

Bottom line: A stable, powerful, slim phone with a lot to offer. Only draw-back would be the typical 4G battery life, and the fact that the battery is built-in... but other than that I cannot conceive of a better phone around today.

89/100

Persistence is the first, and the most important, condition for success.

"There is all the difference in the world between treating people equally and attempting to make them equal." - F.A. Hayek
FX-Overclocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2011, 06:18 PM   #2
FX-Overclocking
Radeon Arctic Islands

FX-Overclocking once held a door open for a complete strangerFX-Overclocking once held a door open for a complete strangerFX-Overclocking once held a door open for a complete stranger

I'd like to add one bit, I may have been a bit short on my battery life estimation... I feel that with normal use (including a little google searching and apps) that I'm actually probably getting on the high side of that 16/17 hour mark and even when I charge it it's not completely dead. But the bottom line is I do need to charge it every night before I go to bed. That much is a solid fact. The battery does seem to be actually getting STRONGER as it "breaks in" with recharges though. So keep this in mind.

Persistence is the first, and the most important, condition for success.

"There is all the difference in the world between treating people equally and attempting to make them equal." - F.A. Hayek
FX-Overclocking is offline   Reply With Quote