Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

Old May 6, 2008, 11:39 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
compunoob
Computer Bonehead

compunoob knows why the caged bird singscompunoob knows why the caged bird singscompunoob knows why the caged bird singscompunoob knows why the caged bird singscompunoob knows why the caged bird sings

Default Bought a new HD advice on install plz.

I am moving my old samsung to a slave position and going to use my new 640gb WD drive as my main drive. I have alot of info on the drive I would like to keep so would I just.
1) unplug the ide drive from the mobo
2) Install the Sata drive and format.
3) install OS and all drivers and updates.
4) Plug the ide drive back in and move files I wanted to save.
5) format the Samsung drive to wipe the OS off so I can use it for plain storage.

Is that the way I should do it? Also will I need to install sata drivers for the drive b4 I can install anything on it? Someone posted about "Don't forget to turn on write-back cache". How is this done? Will I need to set the ide drive to slave or does it matter when thereis a sata and an ide? At the point of transfering files from the old drive to the new 1 both will have an OS on it. Is there some way to uninstall windows b4 I start on the new drive to avoid a dual boot issue? Am I making this harder than it needs to be like I love to do? =P Thanks for any and all help.
compunoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2008, 01:58 AM   #2
Gandalfthewhite
Hardware Enthusiast

Gandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled with

Subscriber

your listed procedure number is perfect. your mobo is new enough that you wont have to install sata drivers to get it to recognize the drive. with it being Sata with IDE no need to chnage the IDE to slave. to make sure their is no dual boot issue you could always change the HD boot order in the bios

HOURGLASS = most appropriate named ICON/CURSOR in the Windows world :-)

In a dank corner of ATI central, the carpet covered with corn flakes, the faint sound of clicking can be heard........Click......click, click............as the fate of the graphics world and the future of the human race hangs in the balance.

I know....I know........Keep my day job :-)- catcather
Gandalfthewhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2008, 02:57 AM   #3
{0}Salamander{0}
Radeon Man Returneth

{0}Salamander{0} is still being judged by the masses

What about getting the drive to run in AHCI mode?

The reason I say this is because I am probably going to get a new drive soon, and would like to know how to get AHCI "running" so to speak...
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old May 7, 2008, 03:38 AM   #4
Skynet
Banned

Skynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

As long as you have your BIOS set to use AHCI mode, Windows will detect the hardware and install the drivers. If you have the correct drivers installed, then AHCI mode will work properly when you connect your new drive(s)
Skynet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2008, 08:35 AM   #5
compunoob
Computer Bonehead

compunoob knows why the caged bird singscompunoob knows why the caged bird singscompunoob knows why the caged bird singscompunoob knows why the caged bird singscompunoob knows why the caged bird sings

What is AHCI mode? Can you elaborate also on what you said Skynet?

My bios options as it pertains to a SATA drive.

Etended Ide drive (auto) or (none) leave on auto?

ACCESS MODE (large) or (auto) before configuring a hd make sure you have the correct config info from the manufacturer. leave on auto also or set to large?

I remember reading when sata drives first came out you had to remove a tiny jumper from the back to enable the 3.0. Is that still the case?

Thanks for all the help!!!

Last edited by compunoob : May 7, 2008 at 08:52 AM.
Old May 7, 2008, 09:44 AM   #6
Skynet
Banned

Skynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
Originally Posted by compunoob View Post
What is AHCI mode? Can you elaborate also on what you said Skynet?
Wiki has a good article on the subject.

I was actually refering to the motherboard Salamander has. I don't think your motherboard fully supports AHCI mode at all if I remember correctly. The Nforce5 is supposed to support native command queuing.

I found this on another forum, it is a reply from Nvidia to the question if the Nforce5 supports AHCI.
Quote:
NCQ is supported in the nForce5 series for AMD. AHCI is not supported on the nForce5 or nForce4 series or even the nForce6 series with the exception of the chipsets with a motherboard GPU onboard (ie Geforce 7050 and Geforce 7150, etc..). The motherboards which support AHCI do not support SATA IDE mode through the nForce drivers. On these motherboards, if you wish to run the controller in SATA IDE mode, these motherboards use the Microsoft built in drivers.

Regards,
NVIDIA Customer Care
In other words, no.

Set all drive options to auto.

Yes some drives still do have a jumper on them, depends on the drive.
Skynet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2008, 10:23 AM   #7
compunoob
Computer Bonehead

Thank you =)