Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Archived Discussions » Radeon Technical Support
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Radeon Technical Support Radeon technical support forum for all Radeon products from the classic Radeon to the latest cutting edge family of graphics cards.

Old Apr 28, 2010, 10:51 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

caveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badges

ATI Technologies Eyefinity FAQ

The purpose of this thread is to help clarify the pre-requisites and configuration steps needed for ATI Eyefinity Technology. If you have a question that isn't answered in the following list, please post it and we'll try to answer it for you.

• Is this the Official AMD ATI Eyefinity Frequently Asked Questions list?
    No. That is located HERE.
  • What is AMD/ATI Eyefinity?
    AMD/ATI Eyefinity is a multi-display technology that allows mutliple attached displays to appear as a large surface spanning many panels. This allows games and other apps to use more pixels than they normally would. Read our examination of ATI Eyefinity technology here and here.
  • What cards support ATI Eyefinity?
    The AMD ATI HD 5000 series support Eyefinity 3, to use three displays in an Eyefinity group. Specific models can use more, such as the HD 5570 which supports 4 display Eyefinity (if equipped with two displayport outputs), and the Eyefinity 6 edition cards, which support upto six panels in an Eyefinity group. AMD's Add-In Board partners can specify different outputs if they wish, such as a 5 output model.

The AMD Radeon HD 6000 series support Eyefinity, to various levels depending on output configuration. The 6800 & 6900 series support 4 displays out of the box, 5 for the 6990. DisplayPort 1.2 allows daisy-chained displays (3 per output) enabling 6 displays on dual-DP equipped cards - you will need an MST hub or DP 1.2 monitor with daisychain support for this (none known as available yet). Sapphire have Flex edition cards that integrate an Active DP-HDMI adapter into their PCB, permitting 3 'legacy' digital outputs or Eyefinity 5 with two additional DisplayPort monitors. See below for more details on 'legacy' displays and montiors.
  • What displays can I use?
    There is no real restriction on they types of displays, but ideally you'll want to use panels that match resolution, response time, color and brightness. The smaller the bezel the better.
  • Can I use three DVI monitors with Eyefinity? What about HDMI?
    For ATI Eyefinity to work you must use the DisplayPort output on the card. The other two maybe DVI or HDMI, depending on the options your card has. Sapphire FLEX edition cards include three non-DP output capbilities, such as 2xDVI + HDMI (and usually a HDMI to DVI adapter will convert).
  • I don't have a DisplayPort monitor, what do I do?
    You can use a Active DisplayPort adapter to convert to DVI or HDMI. Active adapters are powered, usually by USB, and add the necessary timing and centering signals that DVI or HDMI need to work correctly. You can find a list of validated adapters here. The best adapter to use for resolutions up to 1920x1200 are the new Single-Link self powered DisplayPort adapters, detailed here.
  • Can I use a Passive DisplayPort adapter?
    The display engine built into the HD 5000 & 6000 series is capable of generating two concurrent digital outputs with timing, and one DisplayPort output. DVI and HDMI signals need timing and centering information for the displays to work. Without this information, the screen can't sync properly, and the display will fail to show correctly, if at all. Passive DisplayPort adapters don't generate the timing signals required for the DVI or HDMI display, and so won't work for Eyefinity.

ATI Radeon HD 5870 Eyefinity 6 edition cards can use passive DisplayPort adapters, and in fact ship with 5 in the box to use with the six mini-DisplayPort outputs built into the product (1 mini-DP to DP, 2 mini-DP to DVI, and one mini-DP to HDMI). You are still limited to two legacy outputs without using an active adapter, however, so if you have more than two displays that don't support a native DisplayPort connection you'll need additional, active, adapters.
  • What Games & Applications support AMD/ATI Eyefinity?
    Many games will work without any changes, and most newer titles are being written with AMD/ATI Eyefinity support in mind. You can find a list of ATI Eyefinity Ready and Validated titles here.
  • Can I mix different size displays?
    Previously ATI Eyefinity forced all displays in an Eyefinity group to be the same orientation and resolution. As of AMD Catalyst 11.10 you can officially run dissimilar monitor sizes.

For the AMD Radeon HD 5000 series, the Single Large Surface is limited to a maximum resolution of 8000 pixels in any one axis, and a maximum of 5 displays (portrait or landscape, using Catalyst 11.10 or later). On the AMD Radeon HD 6000 series, the maximum SLS is 16000x16000, for DX11; DX9 and DX10 will not permit this size, meaning Aero desktop will need to be disabled and only DX11 mode games will use the full resolution size.

If you use displays of different sizes and resolutions, the resulting AMD/ATI Eyefinity group will be limited to the highest common resolution of the displays on all panels. If you have two 22" 1920x1080 displays and a 24" 1920x1200, all three will run in 1920x1080.

You may not yet mix a portrait - landscape - portrait configuration, for example two rotated 20" monitors next to a 30" one.
  • My displays are pretty similar, but the colors aren't quite right - can I adjust this?
    Yes, Catalyst 10.3 and newer support per display color and brightness adjustment within an ATI Eyefinity group.
  • Do the bezels get in the way?
    You can adjust your Single Large Surface (SLS) to include bezel compensation. This allows the display to replicate more accurately the sensation of looking out of a window with panes of glass in it. This is useful primarily for gaming, to increase immersion, but less useful in desktop use.
  • What is Bezel Compensation?
    Bezel compensation is a method to account for the 'dead space' between panels. In real life when you look out of a window, part of the view is obstructed. Bezel compensation allows AMD/ATI Eyefinity to replicate this, with extra pixels mapped under the bezels. The Bezel compensation wizard allows users to fine-tune this to their specific panels.

As of AMD Catalyst 11.10 the 3% pixel density variance restriction was removed, see here for more details from AMD's Stereo3D & Eyefinity product manager Shane Parfitt.
  • I don't want to use AMD/ATI Eyefinity all the time, can I switch it on and off quickly?
    Vision Engine Control Center profiles support AMD/ATI Eyefinity groups, so that you can set up multple settings with active panels and resolutions. Bezel compensation and panels being enabled/disabled are included in these settings.
  • I received a Display Port link failure message and one of my panels isn't working! What do I do?
    If you see this error there are a couple of tricks to try to get picture back. First of all try power cycling the display that is blank. Secondly you can try Ctrl+Alt+Del to open the Windows Security screen, which should trigger a link reset and enable the blank screen. If this doesn't work then you'll have to save your work and log off and on again, or reboot. Recheck all your cables are securely connected to the card, any adapters, and to the display.
  • Some games look really stretched, or the field of view is unusable under Eyefinity, are there any tools to help change this?
    Widescreen Game Fixer works great for several titles to set the correct aspect ratio. Several titles are working with it, including Unreal Tournament III and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2. For some titles .ini tweaks can adjust the game to work better.
  • I love Eyefinity for gaming, but it's a pain for desktop windows - are there any tools to help with this?
    Yes, it's actually included in the full Catalyst driver package - Hydravision. Open CCC and select the Hydravision drop down from the top menu and select 'HydraGrid'. Select the checkbox to enable HydraGrid and hit apply. Now click the edit Hydra grid button, and select 'Preset Grid Layout' - 'Same As Eyefinity Displays'. Now you can pin applications to monitors and use keyboard shortcuts while clicking the window maximize button to manipulate it in different ways. You can always add more grid dividers to manage your workspace however you want.
  • What are the restriction of AMD Eyefinity with other technologies such as CrossfireX and AMD HD3D?
    You may experience stability issues running CrossfireX and Eyefinity. Currently CrossfireX and AMD HD3D are mutually exclusive, meaning currently a multi-display, multi-card Stereo3D configuration using AMD technology isn't available, but single card Eyefinity + AMD HD3D should be possible. AMD assure Rage3D it is being worked on.

Last edited by caveman-jim : Nov 2, 2011 at 11:28 AM.
Old Apr 30, 2010, 01:52 PM   #2
stick3D

stick3D is still being judged by the masses

Joystick But Passive DisplayPort Adapters are in ATI's Validated Dongles list

I'm still a little confused.
If passive DisplayPort adapters can't generate a needed signal, how did several passive adapters end up on ATI's Validated Dongles list?

http://support.amd.com/us/eyefinity/...y-dongles.aspx

It would be lovely to be able to pick up an approved adapter from Amazon for under $25 and then add a little something to get the free shipping...

http://www.amazon.com/Accell-B087B-0...dp/B001CXXD2Q/

I was happy to find the list, but how is it to be used? Are the passives only useful for the Eyefinity 6 boards (which supposedly come with passive adapters)?

And the wording on the dongle page suggests that you could use 2 DVI monitors in a dual-display Eyefinity setup. It makes it sound like you only need an active adapter or native DisplayPort monitor to step up to three screens. (Playing a game with a big swath of bezel right down the center sort of kills the dual screen option, but it is "technically" an option...)
Old Apr 30, 2010, 04:28 PM   #3
Dyre Straits
Radeon Caribbean Islands

Dyre Straits is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by stick3D View Post
I'm still a little confused.
If passive DisplayPort adapters can't generate a needed signal, how did several passive adapters end up on ATI's Validated Dongles list?

http://support.amd.com/us/eyefinity/...y-dongles.aspx

It would be lovely to be able to pick up an approved adapter from Amazon for under $25 and then add a little something to get the free shipping...

http://www.amazon.com/Accell-B087B-0...dp/B001CXXD2Q/

I was happy to find the list, but how is it to be used? Are the passives only useful for the Eyefinity 6 boards (which supposedly come with passive adapters)?

And the wording on the dongle page suggests that you could use 2 DVI monitors in a dual-display Eyefinity setup. It makes it sound like you only need an active adapter or native DisplayPort monitor to step up to three screens. (Playing a game with a big swath of bezel right down the center sort of kills the dual screen option, but it is "technically" an option...)
Yes, you can setup 2 DVI screens in Eyefinity. In fact, I could get any combination of two screens into Eyefinity, but not three. I was using the Passive adapter to DVI on one screen and either of the two DVI connections for the other screen.

I also was wondering how those passive adapters got on the list?
~Windows 10 x64 Professional~Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H~Intel I7-3770K~8x2 GB DDR3 Crucial Ballistic 1600 RAM (Dual Channel)~RealTek Onboard~XFX R9 390 8GB GDDR5~3 Acer 27 inch LCDs~SCEPTRE 505 4K UHD TVand one Sanyo 32 inch HDTV connected via Intel onboard GPU~SATA BluRay RW~1000 W PSU~And a Whole Lot More!~AND....1 TB XBOX ONE~1 PS4 with Uncharted Bundle~

Quote:
If you have an issue with what you said, please resolve it in private ;)
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old May 1, 2010, 07:18 PM   #4
stick3D

stick3D is still being judged by the masses

Lightbulb I am enlightened, thanks to caveman-jim!

caveman-jim -

I finally understand the DisplayPort situation, thanks to your post here:
http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?p=1336238523
Your explanation was simple and thorough, so I'll quote it here for those in need:
"DVI and HDMI signals require timing signals generated by internal clocks on the card. DVI and HDMI displays need timing signals to display the picture. DisplayPort capable displays do not need timing signals. To save space, cost and complexitiy there are two internal timing signal generators in the ASIC of the AMD ATI Radeon HD 5000 series. This limits the number of outputs with timing signals to two. To enable the third display, you must use the card's DisplayPort connector. If you use an adapter to convert DisplayPort into DVI or HDMI, you must add the timing signals to the output, too. This is done by using an active DisplayPort adapter."
Thanks again for explaining the hardware design and its impact...
Old May 18, 2010, 09:18 PM   #5
Dyre Straits
Radeon Caribbean Islands

FINALLY!!!!

Yes! I finally got a stable working Eyefinity setup a few hours ago. I guess it's been a total of 3 hours now and have not had even the first flicker/blank screen.

Here's how it came about:

I saw that Office Depot had another ViewSonic VX2433wm LCD just like the two I recently got. The first two I was able to get on sale for $199.99 USD plus tax. The one at Office Depot today was the last one they had on hand and was their display model. I was able to get it for $179.99 USD plus tax.

Then followed a trip up to Fry's to pick up a passive DP -> VGA adapter. The model I got is a Monster-brand. It cost $49.99 USD plus tax. This is considerably less than these "iffy" model active adapters like the one I had to take back for a refund.

Once I got home, it was less than 5 minutes to having Eyefinity up and running. Since all three LCDs are the exact same model, the image color consistency is excellent! AND, the Bezel Compensation works without a hitch. I had to spend more time simply getting all three monitors leveled up because the mounts aren't exactly consistent.

So far, these game and a benchmark are working just fine:

1. Dragon Age: Origins
2. Star Trek Online
3. Heaven 2.0 Benchmark

I'm having problems with Far Cry 2 for some reason. It doesn't want to "see" the Eyefinity resolution like it was doing before. I had no trouble previously, but now it just puts the game in 3 instances on the three monitors and the game is 'squished' toward the middle.

Would like some suggestions on what needs to be done to fix this, please.

~Windows 10 x64 Professional~Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H~Intel I7-3770K~8x2 GB DDR3 Crucial Ballistic 1600 RAM (Dual Channel)~RealTek Onboard~XFX R9 390 8GB GDDR5~3 Acer 27 inch LCDs~SCEPTRE 505 4K UHD TVand one Sanyo 32 inch HDTV connected via Intel onboard GPU~SATA BluRay RW~1000 W PSU~And a Whole Lot More!~AND....1 TB XBOX ONE~1 PS4 with Uncharted Bundle~

Quote:
Old May 18, 2010, 10:01 PM   #6
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

caveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Glad you got it working!

FarCry 2 I believe you have to edit the .ini file to get the res selected. It works fine with the benchmark tool.
Old May 18, 2010, 10:20 PM   #7
Dyre Straits
Radeon Caribbean Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by caveman-jim View Post
Glad you got it working!

FarCry 2 I believe you have to edit the .ini file to get the res selected. It works fine with the benchmark tool.
Actually, I got it working without editing anything. I simply changed the resolution a couple of times and the Eyefinity resolution finally showed up on the options.

EDIT: OK...FC2 problems again: I was able to play the previous games with Bezel Compensation working. I disabled that and tried FC2 again and it worked...AFTER changing the resolutions around. So, I went back and enabled the Bezel comp again and now FC2 refuses to see anything above 1920x1080.

More work to be done.....

UPDATE Some More: I did get it to work again and with Bezel Comp enabled, too. But, now, for some reason, the menu options are stretched across all three screens. When it worked previously for me, the options screen was restricted to the center screen.

AND, one more game tested: Mass Effect 2. Although it works, I can't zoom out from the character nor does my 360 controller work.

Quote:

Last edited by Dyre Straits : May 18, 2010 at 10:53 PM.
Old May 25, 2010, 03:30 AM   #8
Dyre Straits
Radeon Caribbean Islands

Another question:

When I view the new 3D Mark 11 video in Full Screen it makes my two side screens go pure white. Is there anyway to configure to make those screens go black instead?

http://www.futuremark.com/benchmarks/3dmark11/teaser/

Quote:
Old May 25, 2010, 10:48 AM   #9
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

My additional panels blank to black, or powersave. Don't know why yours are white. What player are you using?
Old May 25, 2010, 11:40 AM   #10
Dyre Straits
Radeon Caribbean Islands

Quote:
My additional panels blank to black, or powersave. Don't know why yours are white. What player are you using?
Well, that is a Flash video, so, I'm using the latest Flash.

Quote:
Old May 25, 2010, 05:53 PM   #11
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

Which latest player? the latest general release or the latest GPU accelerated beta? Flash player in a browser, which one?
Old May 26, 2010, 04:13 AM   #12
Dyre Straits
Radeon Caribbean Islands

"You have version 10,1,53,7 installed" is what Flash Player tells me.

I'm using FF 3.6.3. for the browser.

Edit: Just installed the latest downloadable public release. Side screens still turn white when I use Full Screen for the video.

"You have version 10,0,45,2 installed"

NOTE: Isn't this a step backwards, though? ???

Further NOTE: FWIW, I did download and install the latest Pre-release. Still white screens on the side.

Quote:

Last edited by Dyre Straits : May 26, 2010 at 04:22 AM.
Old Jun 23, 2010, 04:14 PM   #13
Dyre Straits
Radeon Caribbean Islands

Another question:

I'm wondering why the center image is being extended onto the side screens by a few inches?

Like this:

It's not usually a problem. But, in some cases, when in a game, the subtitles [which I have to have due to deafness] get extended through the bezels, too.

Is there anyway to restrict the center screen to the actual 1920x1080?

It appears that Eyefinity is actually cutting off some of the vertical portion of the image and then expanding it. Does this make sense?

Quote:
Old Jun 23, 2010, 04:48 PM   #14
spyre
ATI Beta Tester

spyre is still being judged by the masses

Huh?

Bezel compensation doesn't show whatever is behind the bezels so that would be working normally.

If you dont have BC enabled then things aren't chopped off but then things are of course widened out.

I'd imagine that the windows login screen ignores the bezel compensation.

Last edited by spyre : Jun 23, 2010 at 04:52 PM.
Old Jun 23, 2010, 06:44 PM   #15
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

The windows logon screen does indeed use bezel compensation, what you're seeing there is how big that screen scales. Windows logon maintains the aspect ratio unless you specifically edit the registry to tell it to stretch or fill, leaving best fit as the default option.
Old Jun 23, 2010, 07:00 PM   #16
Dyre Straits
Radeon Caribbean Islands

OK.

So, how would I configure a game to restrict the center screen so that it doesn't "bleed" over onto the side screens? Or, is there a way at all?

Like I said above, it's not normally a problem except when text/subtitles extend through the bezels. Although I can quickly make heads and tails of what is being said, it can be a distraction in the game.

The specific game that I encounter this in is "Alpha Protocol." But, it does happen with any game when the text is long enough to go past the center screen.

Quote:
Old Jun 23, 2010, 08:44 PM   #17
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

The game has to be updated with the Eyefinity SDK to use the driver hooks to find the bezels and center, left/right justify or float important items.
Old Sep 21, 2010, 02:48 PM   #18
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

Added Eyefinity Surround Sight info video and information about Hydragrid with Eyefinity.
Old Nov 2, 2011, 03:39 AM   #19
Dyre Straits
Radeon Caribbean Islands

Why, all of a sudden, does CCC tell me that Bezel Compensation won't be optimized due to my screen size and resolutions not being detected as being identical?

All three of my screens are the exact same make and model and this prompt has only started showing up in the last week or so.

However, once I click OK it goes ahead and does the Bezel Comp option and I can move along. Is this something AMD has added to allow everyone to use Bezel Comp even if they have non-identical screens?

Quote:
Old Nov 2, 2011, 09:28 AM   #20
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

I'm not aware of any changes, I'll find out - thanks for bringing it up.
Old Nov 2, 2011, 11:17 AM   #21
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

Got some answers for you, check it out here
Old Nov 2, 2011, 12:13 PM   #22
Dyre Straits
Radeon Caribbean Islands

Quote:
Got some answers for you, check it out here
So, it's all good. And, I'm glad to know it's not a problem.

Quote:
Old Nov 2, 2011, 07:30 PM   #23
Dwarden
Bohemia Interactive

Dwarden can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyDwarden can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

i wish AMD support resolutions higher than desktop and ability to map any user defined region to any output device/monitor ...

example: render 3xmonitors widescreen and extra monitor for mirror, another monitor for instrument board and another for map

now before You go it's not possible, it's been done and it's possible for at minimum 4 or 5 years (and that's by indie coder via software tool)
needed CCC features == online up2date Game profiles or ALL features of ATT / RadeonPro (if you fail deliver don't even try say You got technical advantage)
Old Nov 3, 2011, 12:21 AM   #24
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

thats explicitly supported by the AMD Eyefinity SDK I believe. For that circumstance you would be running a 3x1 SLS plus two additional monitors, if the game supported it through the SDK no problems.
Old Nov 3, 2011, 03:24 AM   #25
Dwarden
Bohemia Interactive

Dwarden can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyDwarden can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
thats explicitly supported by the AMD Eyefinity SDK I believe. For that circumstance you would be running a 3x1 SLS plus two additional monitors, if the game supported it through the SDK no problems.
i believe that's possible if it's related to full region map (whole monitor)

what i got in mind is part of total area > monitor etc.

afaik that wasn't possible with the EF SDK... but maybe it was updated since
needed CCC features == online up2date Game profiles or ALL features of ATT / RadeonPro (if you fail deliver don't even try say You got technical advantage)
Old Jan 17, 2014, 02:23 AM   #26
jesdals
R300

jesdals is still being judged by the masses

Question Refresh rate lock in Eyefinity setting

Hey I have been trying to change my desktop refresh rate from 59/60 to 75. But havent found a way to make the change with an Eyefinity setup

I have tried ATI Traytool and Powerstrip, but without any succes. Its on my windows 7 64Bit platform I would like to enable it.

Any good ideas of how to do so?

Club 3D HD7870XT, P5Q Deluxe, [email protected], 8GB PC8500, 250GB 7200.10, 320GB 7200.11, 500GB+750GB 7200.12 Antec 1000W and Antec 300 tower.

All win 10 64 bit
Old Jan 17, 2014, 08:27 AM   #27
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

Do all your panels support 75hz at the resolution each is using in the eyefinity group?
Old Jan 18, 2014, 03:34 AM   #28
jesdals
R300

jesdals is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Do all your panels support 75hz at the resolution each is using in the eyefinity group?
Yes, but I have to native 1920x1200 and one 1920x1080, that all run the 1920x1080 to getter.

Im not sure if the problem is, that I have 2 types of monitors

Club 3D HD7870XT, P5Q Deluxe, [email protected], 8GB PC8500, 250GB 7200.10, 320GB 7200.11, 500GB+750GB 7200.12 Antec 1000W and Antec 300 tower.

All win 10 64 bit