Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Community and Site Discussions » Off Topic Lounge » Motoring
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Motoring Anything that goes vroooom! and makes the hairs on the back of your neck stand up, this is the place.

Old Nov 2, 2012, 06:17 PM   #3211
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
logical
What is my purpose?

logical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

Thats a nice color on that car. Was it more blue than purple? Or only purple like in the right lighting? Looks blue in the first shot.

logical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 08:41 PM   #3212
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Mahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by logical View Post
Thats a nice color on that car. Was it more blue than purple? Or only purple like in the right lighting? Looks blue in the first shot.
It's purple. You can see the exact car on the Wiki article (listed as being in Iowa):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mosler_MT900
Mahjik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 12:47 AM   #3213
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

OverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwards

Subscriber

Truly amazing photos, Mahjik. Your looks fantastic on the track.

i9 9900KF/Corsair H100i
Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
32GB G.Skill DDR3 3200
Corsair HX1000W
Corsair 600T Silver Edition
Corsair Nightsword Mouse/Logitech G15 Keyboard
LG CX 48"

i5 3570k/OEM Cooler
Asus Sabretooth Z77
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
16GB G.Skill DDR3 2600
Corsair CX750M
Lian Li Lancool II Mesh
Logtech G703 Mouse/Logitech G915 Keyboard
OverclockN' is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Nov 3, 2012, 10:30 PM   #3214
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Mahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverclockN' View Post
Truly amazing photos, Mahjik. Your looks fantastic on the track.
Thank you! Hoping to see a certain Corvette at MAM next year... Hint, hint...
Old Nov 4, 2012, 09:33 AM   #3215
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

OverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwards

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahjik View Post
Thank you! Hoping to see a certain Corvette at MAM next year... Hint, hint...
There's a high probability of that happening. Would have to convince my buddy to let me use his truck/trailer to get the car there being that far away.

i9 9900KF/Corsair H100i
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
32GB G.Skill DDR3 3200
Corsair HX1000W
LG CX 48"

i5 3570k/OEM Cooler
Asus Sabretooth Z77
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
16GB G.Skill DDR3 2600
Corsair CX750M
Lian Li Lancool II Mesh
Old Nov 4, 2012, 02:47 PM   #3216
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Quote:
There's a high probability of that happening. Would have to convince my buddy to let me use his truck/trailer to get the car there being that far away.
How far is the drive? Unless you are running slicks, there's no reason you can't drive it there and home.
Old Nov 4, 2012, 05:39 PM   #3217
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

Quote:
How far is the drive? Unless you are running slicks, there's no reason you can't drive it there and home.
About a 5hr drive. I wouldn't drive the Z that far to do road racing in it without a trailer. I don't trust it enough to hold together...

i9 9900KF/Corsair H100i
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
32GB G.Skill DDR3 3200
Corsair HX1000W
LG CX 48"

i5 3570k/OEM Cooler
Asus Sabretooth Z77
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
16GB G.Skill DDR3 2600
Corsair CX750M
Lian Li Lancool II Mesh
Old Nov 4, 2012, 06:39 PM   #3218
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Quote:
About a 5hr drive. I wouldn't drive the Z that far to do road racing in it without a trailer. I don't trust it enough to hold together...
I'd definitely do a hotel at that distance, but trust me it's no worse than autocrossing. If you trust your car doing that, some laps at MAM are about the same (for standard HPDE). Time Trials and such are a different animal.
Old Nov 4, 2012, 06:56 PM   #3219
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

Quote:
I'd definitely do a hotel at that distance, but trust me it's no worse than autocrossing. If you trust your car doing that, some laps at MAM are about the same (for standard HPDE). Time Trials and such are a different animal.
It's a lot different than autocross. I'd be out on the track at least 30min+ each session at constant high rpm. Isn't that how long the run groups usually stay out there at HPDE's? I'm on borrowed time as it is with this stock bottom end. There is no way I'd trust it to hold together. An entire day of autocrossing with that car is at most, 8min of total drive time and rarely at anything more than 1/2 throttle with that much power...

If my car were stock, I wouldn't think twice about it. Plus, I'm swapping the pulley and adding meth next year to go for more power (around 640-670rwhp). I intend to blow up the motor, just not 5hrs from home.

Also, I would definitely make a weekend of it! Of course, I'm getting another car next year and it's most likely going to be a track-pack equipped 5.0 GT. I'll probably just take that.

i9 9900KF/Corsair H100i
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
32GB G.Skill DDR3 3200
Corsair HX1000W
LG CX 48"

i5 3570k/OEM Cooler
Asus Sabretooth Z77
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
16GB G.Skill DDR3 2600
Corsair CX750M
Lian Li Lancool II Mesh
Old Nov 4, 2012, 07:52 PM   #3220
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Your first time out, you aren't going to spend a lot of time "at high rpms".

There's a good straight that you'll get to stretch the legs of your car, but for the most part you'll be driving it with a lot less finesse than your autox sessions. Also, it's HPDE which is not a race or competition; just lapping. You drive as slow (and it being your first weekend, you won't be going flat out) as you want. You'll kill your brake pads before you will anything under the hood of that car.

Check out this lap and you'll see it's more of a technical track than where you are pedal to the metal:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fO7XodbyleY

Keep waiting, and it will never happen. Just get it out there and you'll see.
Old Nov 4, 2012, 08:23 PM   #3221
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

Quote:
Your first time out, you aren't going to spend a lot of time "at high rpms".

There's a good straight that you'll get to stretch the legs of your car, but for the most part you'll be driving it with a lot less finesse than your autox sessions. Also, it's HPDE which is not a race or competition; just lapping. You drive as slow (and it being your first weekend, you won't be going flat out) as you want. You'll kill your brake pads before you will anything under the hood of that car.

Check out this lap and you'll see it's more of a technical track than where you are pedal to the metal:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fO7XodbyleY

Keep waiting, and it will never happen. Just get it out there and you'll see.
Yeah, I know the drill. I'm familiar with HPDE's. It's going on a trailer or it's not going at all.

i9 9900KF/Corsair H100i
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
32GB G.Skill DDR3 3200
Corsair HX1000W
LG CX 48"

i5 3570k/OEM Cooler
Asus Sabretooth Z77
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
16GB G.Skill DDR3 2600
Corsair CX750M
Lian Li Lancool II Mesh
Old Nov 4, 2012, 11:56 PM   #3222
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Quote:
Yeah, I know the drill. I'm familiar with HPDE's. It's going on a trailer or it's not going at all.
Excuses, excuses...

On another note, a few more pics from the same event.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 12:21 AM   #3223
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

So what's going on with your front bumper? Did you gap it a bit more for extra air flow?

i9 9900KF/Corsair H100i
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
32GB G.Skill DDR3 3200
Corsair HX1000W
LG CX 48"

i5 3570k/OEM Cooler
Asus Sabretooth Z77
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
16GB G.Skill DDR3 2600
Corsair CX750M
Lian Li Lancool II Mesh
Old Nov 5, 2012, 09:18 AM   #3224
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Quote:
So what's going on with your front bumper? Did you gap it a bit more for extra air flow?
Yep, it's an old mod called "Shark Mouth" which pushes the front down to provide more air for the radiator. Works well for coolant temps, however my side openings are still tiny for my oil cooler so a different front-end is in the future for this car.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 05:22 PM   #3225
ice
Rage3D Spammer

ice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Away for the season.

6600k|16GB of GSkill|500GB 850 Pro|Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 |Asus Z170-AR|Windows 10 64 Enterprise

360 games

Lose = Be careful not to lose that.
Loose = The bolts are loose.
There = She is there now.
Their = They have their things.
They're = They're going to the mall.
To = They came to the house.
Too = That's too bad.
Two = 2.
Your = Your dinner is ready.
You're = If you're 150lbs you'd better have a 6 pack.
ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 10:12 PM   #3226
swingline
Dab on them folks

swingline exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselswingline exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselswingline exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselswingline exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselswingline exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselswingline exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselswingline exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselswingline exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselswingline exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselswingline exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselswingline exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Subscriber

Do you not jack up the tires?
The man who in times of popular excitement boldly and unflinchingly resists hot-tempered clamor for an unnecessary war, and thus exposes himself to the opprobrious imputation of a lack of patriotism or of courage, to the end of saving his country from a great calamity, is, as to "loving and faithfully serving his country," at least as good a patriot as the hero of the most daring feat of arms, and a far better one than those who, with an ostentatious pretense of superior patriotism, cry for war before it is needed, especially if then they let others do the fighting. - Carl Schurz

RIP Jesse
swingline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 10:15 PM   #3227
ice
Rage3D Spammer

ice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badges

I've never had a problem with flatspots only storing it for 4-5 months. I go out and roll it around a little bit halfway through too to get them sitting on a different spot.

6600k|16GB of GSkill|500GB 850 Pro|Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 |Asus Z170-AR|Windows 10 64 Enterprise

360 games

Too = That's too bad.
Two = 2.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 10:19 PM   #3228
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

I never jack up my car either, even with the R-Comps. I've been storing cars during winters for the past 8 years and I've never jacked a car up. I roll the cars out and there are no problems whatsoever. I don't even bother starting them for months.

i9 9900KF/Corsair H100i
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
32GB G.Skill DDR3 3200
Corsair HX1000W
LG CX 48"

i5 3570k/OEM Cooler
Asus Sabretooth Z77
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
16GB G.Skill DDR3 2600
Corsair CX750M
Lian Li Lancool II Mesh
Old Nov 11, 2012, 10:24 PM   #3229
swingline
Dab on them folks

swingline exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselswingline exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselswingline exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselswingline exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselswingline exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselswingline exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselswingline exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselswingline exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselswingline exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselswingline exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselswingline exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Subscriber

Ah, rolling them out helps.

Being gone for 6+ months and having a wife afraid to drive either the Cobra or Lightning made me jack them up.
The man who in times of popular excitement boldly and unflinchingly resists hot-tempered clamor for an unnecessary war, and thus exposes himself to the opprobrious imputation of a lack of patriotism or of courage, to the end of saving his country from a great calamity, is, as to "loving and faithfully serving his country," at least as good a patriot as the hero of the most daring feat of arms, and a far better one than those who, with an ostentatious pretense of superior patriotism, cry for war before it is needed, especially if then they let others do the fighting. - Carl Schurz

RIP Jesse
Old Nov 11, 2012, 10:27 PM   #3230
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by swingline View Post
Ah, rolling them out helps.

Being gone for 6+ months and having a wife afraid to drive either the Cobra or Lightning made me jack them up.
No, I never even start them. I meant that on the very day that I do roll them out...there are no issues. Once my car goes into hibernation, it's done. It doesn't even get moved or fired up again until it's ready to go back out months later.

That's the way I've always done it. This year, I plan on firing up the car every few weeks or so and let it warm up and run for a bit.

i9 9900KF/Corsair H100i
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
32GB G.Skill DDR3 3200
Corsair HX1000W
LG CX 48"

i5 3570k/OEM Cooler
Asus Sabretooth Z77
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
16GB G.Skill DDR3 2600
Corsair CX750M
Lian Li Lancool II Mesh
Old Nov 11, 2012, 10:29 PM   #3231
ice
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
No, I never even start them. I meant that on the very day that I do roll them out...there are no issues. Once my car goes into hibernation, it's done. It doesn't even get moved or fired up again until it's ready to go back out months later.

That's the way I've always done it. This year, I plan on firing up the car every few weeks or so and let it warm up and run for a bit.
Ditto. I only roll mine back or forward enough to get them sitting on a different spot, if I even remember to do that. I cover it, realize I forgot to disconnect the battery (like I just did now, ****), uncover it to do that, re-cover, and let it sit until the first nice day.

360 games

Too = That's too bad.
Two = 2.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 10:58 PM   #3232
swingline
Dab on them folks

Subscriber

Never risked it - glad to see it's worked out for you guys.

RIP Jesse
Old Nov 11, 2012, 11:07 PM   #3233
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

Quote:
Never risked it - glad to see it's worked out for you guys.
I just make sure there is plenty of tire pressure. I don't put them away at low pressure. Also, I read an article that was written well enough to convince me that I probably should fire it up every so often to take better care of the rings/seals, etc. So I'll be starting it up from now on.

i9 9900KF/Corsair H100i
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
32GB G.Skill DDR3 3200
Corsair HX1000W
LG CX 48"

i5 3570k/OEM Cooler
Asus Sabretooth Z77
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
16GB G.Skill DDR3 2600
Corsair CX750M
Lian Li Lancool II Mesh
Old Nov 19, 2012, 12:38 AM   #3234
Shadowless
Deez Nuts

Shadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
I just make sure there is plenty of tire pressure. I don't put them away at low pressure. Also, I read an article that was written well enough to convince me that I probably should fire it up every so often to take better care of the rings/seals, etc. So I'll be starting it up from now on.
I do that with my moms aviator. it used to sit for months at times as it's primary use is usually for bad weather (snow, ice) and road trips, i'd fire it up once every 2 weeks and let it run for a bit. Those 4v 4.6L's are not cheap to replace
Desktop - Corsair Carbide SPEC-02 Redshift | ASUS ROG Crosshair VI Hero | AMD Ryzen 7 1700X | Hyper 212 EVO | 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200 | 512GB Intel 660p | 2TB Seagate 7200.12 | 16x LG BD-Burner | MSI Armor OC GeForce GTX 1080 | Tt ToughPower Grand RGB 750w | Acer ET322QU | Windows 10 Pro
Shadowless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 03:44 PM   #3235
Grov
Death Comes For You

Grov is still being judged by the masses

Quote:

Those LS7s are tough to beat in anything though.
A guy has one of those LS7 corvette engines in a TVR Sagaris in the UK. Pretty sure it's the more powerful version and he's modded it a bit, so it's near 600bhp. Nippy in a 1100kg car lol.

Quick vid i found overtaking amurcielago http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ND6qH...feature=relmfu
Grov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 08:52 AM   #3236
ಠ_ಠ

Avatar can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyAvatar can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Yep, it's an old mod called "Shark Mouth" which pushes the front down to provide more air for the radiator. Works well for coolant temps, however my side openings are still tiny for my oil cooler so a different front-end is in the future for this car.
It does look a bit odd did you also bend the splitter in the middle to accommodate for the "open mouth"?
Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 09:52 AM   #3237
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Sazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice View Post

Away for the season.
Just the tip?

Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 12:33 PM   #3238
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatar View Post
It does look a bit odd did you also bend the splitter in the middle to accommodate for the "open mouth"?
Well, it's not there for looks.

The splitter is actually for the newer 1999+ RX7's so it's a little larger than what normally fits on the 93-95 stock bumper. With that, it just bends around with the bumper and doesn't pull apart since it's already slightly too large.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 07:23 AM   #3239
ಠ_ಠ

Avatar can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyAvatar can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Well, it's not there for looks.

The splitter is actually for the newer 1999+ RX7's so it's a little larger than what normally fits on the 93-95 stock bumper. With that, it just bends around with the bumper and doesn't pull apart since it's already slightly too large.
Ok, cool. Just curious, what car do you DD?
Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 10:13 AM   #3240
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatar View Post
Ok, cool. Just curious, what car do you DD?
Old photo, but I have black M3 that I've been daily driving for several years:

http://mahjik.homestead.com/files/ho...7/DSCF2258.jpg

I recently grabbed a used FJ Cruiser so it has taken on DD tasks for the colder months of driving:

http://mahjik.homestead.com/files/Mi.../IMAG0021s.jpg