Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Console Gaming
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Console Gaming A place to discuss our favourite past and present gaming consoles. Talk about your favorite games, get nostalgic and share tips and strategies.

Old Jun 11, 2013, 06:51 AM   #91
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Ego
I can't take this

Ego can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyEgo can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thr0tt View Post
Looking at a few sites then it seems there is no native PS3 game support, possible support via a streaming service for PS1 and PS2 titles later but not sure what the point of that is really.

Without this then I'm not going to ditch my main console for a new one and start all over, sure I'd love to own one but it can wait now I think.
It's not "possibly", they have confirmed back in February that backwards compatibility will be handled via Gaikai streaming for all previous Playstation consoles, including the PS3.
I'm not quite sure how that will work for physical games you already own though. Maybe they check the disk and unlock the game in your library ?

In other news, in the midst of all this DRM talk, I'm glad they didn't forget they're also in charge of making wacky commercials:

Last edited by Ego : Jun 11, 2013 at 06:54 AM.
Ego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2013, 06:57 AM   #92
Sound_Card
Banned

Sound_Card can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultySound_Card can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

All I got to say Is Is I'm getting a PS4.

Jack Tretton, president and CEO of Sony Computer Entertainment America, announced that the company would not try to restrict used game sales. Tretton also said the PS4 would not require a persistent online connection.

"PlayStation 4 disc-based games don't need to be connected online to play or any type of authentication," said Tretton. "If you enjoy playing single-player games offline, PS4 won't require to you check in online period and it won't stop working if you haven't authenticated in 24 hours."
Sound_Card is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2013, 06:58 AM   #93
Douglaster
X360 - PC

Douglaster is still being judged by the masses

Jesus, M$ will have to run a lot to catch the PS4.

This generation gets better and better.
Douglaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jun 11, 2013, 07:05 AM   #94
Sound_Card
Banned

Sound_Card can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultySound_Card can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega53 View Post
Microsoft is down, call an ambulance. Wii u Wii u Wii u Wii u
bwhahahaha. dats sum funey stuff man.
Old Jun 11, 2013, 07:08 AM   #95
Sound_Card
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash override View Post
Yup, nothing new at all on either side. I completely agree. I also agree with your statement regarding offline or SP usage as well. In fact I agree with this entire post.
Do you agree that PS4 just won this generation?
Old Jun 11, 2013, 07:16 AM   #96
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Lazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound_Card View Post
All I got to say Is Is I'm getting a PS4.

Jack Tretton, president and CEO of Sony Computer Entertainment America, announced that the company would not try to restrict used game sales. Tretton also said the PS4 would not require a persistent online connection.

"PlayStation 4 disc-based games don't need to be connected online to play or any type of authentication," said Tretton. "If you enjoy playing single-player games offline, PS4 won't require to you check in online period and it won't stop working if you haven't authenticated in 24 hours."
Lazy8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2013, 07:18 AM   #97
fellix_bg
Don't lettuce on me!

fellix_bg kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshfellix_bg kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshfellix_bg kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshfellix_bg kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshfellix_bg kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshfellix_bg kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshfellix_bg kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshfellix_bg kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshfellix_bg kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

PS4 would be the first console to join the PC Master Race™ legion!

Life has more imagination than we carry in our dreams...
fellix_bg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2013, 08:10 AM   #98
Cream
Radeon R600

Cream can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyCream can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyCream can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Am I right in saying it's going to be $5 per month to play games online on the PS4? or did I just misinterpreted that? Playstation plus.
16GB Corsair DDR4 , SSD 850 evo /480gb SSD Vertex 2/ 2TB hybrid drive for games, 1TB storage drive
Zowie FK1, Oculus CV1, Logitech G920, black widow Ultimate, Xbox one pad. Saitec X-55 H.O.T.A.S.
Cream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2013, 08:18 AM   #99
jolle
Hipster Dufus

jolle can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyjolle can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyjolle can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Do you agree that PS4 just won this generation?
Definately won this E3, but there is still time for MS to revise their plans, even though that would admit to error..

Also a valid point I heard today is that there is a **** ton of people, who are not represented on the internet, who might not even be aware of these things and just figures the kinect is probably fun for the kids. (friggin kinect Adventures is the 4th most sold game on the yearly global charts over here)
Granted that may be a group of "Wii consumers", ie people who buy the system but dont really keep buying games for it on any tangible scale, which is bad when you´re selling the hardware at a loss.
Then again, the core gamers are probably the consumer group you want, the group that keeps buying all the CODs and whatnots.
Old Jun 11, 2013, 08:38 AM   #100
ViN86
Drinking your milkshake

ViN86 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ViN86 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ViN86 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ViN86 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ViN86 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ViN86 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thr0tt View Post
Looking at a few sites then it seems there is no native PS3 game support, possible support via a streaming service for PS1 and PS2 titles later but not sure what the point of that is really.

Without this then I'm not going to ditch my main console for a new one and start all over, sure I'd love to own one but it can wait now I think.
Considering the PS4 is a new architecture and it's only $400, I doubt you will see any PS3 compability.

It's how it is nowadays. Don't expect BC to come back at any point. PS3 will probably be supported for at least a year or two after PS4 launch though.
Old Jun 11, 2013, 08:40 AM   #101
ViN86
Drinking your milkshake

ViN86 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ViN86 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ViN86 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ViN86 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ViN86 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ViN86 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ego View Post
It's not "possibly", they have confirmed back in February that backwards compatibility will be handled via Gaikai streaming for all previous Playstation consoles, including the PS3.
I'm not quite sure how that will work for physical games you already own though. Maybe they check the disk and unlock the game in your library ?

In other news, in the midst of all this DRM talk, I'm glad they didn't forget they're also in charge of making wacky commercials:

Haha, couple Diablo 3 references in there at the end (witch doctor and Diablo).

At the moment, my plans are for a PS4 only.
Old Jun 11, 2013, 09:04 AM   #102
Litennörd
Radeon R420

Litennörd is still being judged by the masses

The only negative, and it's big enough to be a dealbreaker for me, is Sony too putting multiplayer online behind a paywall.
Litennörd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2013, 09:19 AM   #103
Douglaster
X360 - PC

The PS4 can become the perfect media player.

If only it could read mkv´s .....
Old Jun 11, 2013, 09:31 AM   #104
painkiller
Radeon Northern Islands

painkiller is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglaster View Post
The PS4 can become the perfect media player.

If only it could read mkv´s .....
I have found the use of http://ps3mediaserver.org to render such features useless.

What I find funny is that I use my PS3 mainly for terrestial TV and Netflix. Despite that I'm looking more forward to PS4 than XBONE even though MS touted all these TV features...

So I'm kind of hoping Sony will do another PlayTV receiver for PS4 or making the old one work.
Old Jun 11, 2013, 09:41 AM   #105
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Meteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Good show Playstation. More powerful and comes in at $100 less than the competition. Only real negative I can see is you have to pay for online play now. Doesn't affect me much since I don't do MP, but for others its a real negative compared to what they are used to with PS3. As for backwards compatibility, I gave up on expecting consoles to do that during last gen.

Love the fact they didn't go the XBONE route with the used games policy. That was my only real concern with the new consoles. I still wont be buying a PS4 at launch however. No real interesting exclusives from what I can see yet, though I do have some catching up on all the E3 press so we'll see.

What the hell was Microsoft thinking this gen.
Meteor_of_War is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2013, 09:57 AM   #106
YellowBeard
Radeon Arctic Islands

YellowBeard can recite pi backwardsYellowBeard can recite pi backwardsYellowBeard can recite pi backwardsYellowBeard can recite pi backwardsYellowBeard can recite pi backwardsYellowBeard can recite pi backwardsYellowBeard can recite pi backwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litennörd View Post
The only negative, and it's big enough to be a dealbreaker for me, is Sony too putting multiplayer online behind a paywall.
At least with Sony's paywall you get their instant collection of games. Live didn't give you crap aside from some mediocre sale prices every week. If I had a PS I'd most likely pony up the cash just to have access to those games alone as I rarely if ever play multiplayer anymore.

It's not much, but at least it seems like you get more bang for your buck.

Ugh, hate to admit it but I might be switching to Sony this gen.
the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!”

YellowBeard says, "Fold ya scurvy b*st*rds!"
YellowBeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2013, 10:14 AM   #107
Douglaster
X360 - PC

Quote:
Originally Posted by painkiller View Post
I have found the use of http://ps3mediaserver.org to render such features useless.

What I find funny is that I use my PS3 mainly for terrestial TV and Netflix. Despite that I'm looking more forward to PS4 than XBONE even though MS touted all these TV features...

So I'm kind of hoping Sony will do another PlayTV receiver for PS4 or making the old one work.
the need to transcode everything make it troublesome.

It need native support
Old Jun 11, 2013, 11:10 AM   #108
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Razeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Design is ridiculous. Should have made in look like a trash can...
Razeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2013, 11:15 AM   #109
ViN86
Drinking your milkshake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razeus View Post

You love that Mac Pro design.
Old Jun 11, 2013, 11:17 AM   #110
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Meteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

I think it looks pretty cool. Would look slick in my all black tempered glass TV stand. But then again I think the XBONE looks cool as well.

Looks are a very small piece of the equation for me however. Functionality, consumer friendliness, and GAMES is what its all about.
Meteor_of_War is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2013, 11:53 AM   #111
Kain
Radeon Caribbean Islands

Kain once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Kain once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Kain once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Kain once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Kain once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Kain once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Does the PlayStation 4 have universal voltage support?
Kain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2013, 12:23 PM   #112
Sound_Card
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razeus View Post
It looks pretty good to me. I think it is better than that PS3 slope.
Old Jun 11, 2013, 12:26 PM   #113
GravY
Rage3D Spammer

GravY glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsGravY glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsGravY glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsGravY glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsGravY glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsGravY glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsGravY glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsGravY glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsGravY glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsGravY glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsGravY glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
It looks pretty good to me. I think it is better than that PS3 slope.
its better than the ps3 for sure..
"Yes, but God has the right to get away with anything. Shoot animals, make ugly women, allow the existence of religious nuts, and watch liederhosen-wearing midget poodle-licking pornography. God's a sick bastard." - OzzieBloke

(\_/)
(O.o)
(> <)
GravY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2013, 12:33 PM   #114
crash override
Banned

crash override is still being judged by the masses

Looks like Sony is starting to backtrack.

http://www.polygon.com/2013/6/11/441...-own-drm-terms
crash override is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2013, 12:41 PM   #115
Sound_Card
Banned

Quote:

Thats not backtracking.
Old Jun 11, 2013, 12:45 PM   #116
painkiller
Radeon Northern Islands

Quote:

That is what they have been saying from the start and it doesn't differ in anyway of the current policies on PS3/360. You just have to face the facts that MS ****ed up and Sony went the right way.
Old Jun 11, 2013, 12:46 PM   #117
crash override
Banned

crash override is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Thats not backtracking.
Saying that no PS4 disc will have DRM, and then saying...oh wait the publishers can do what they want...we only meant that no first-party titles will have it.

Yeah, that's backtracking.
crash override is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2013, 12:49 PM   #118
painkiller
Radeon Northern Islands

Now where was the button to ignore someone in this forum? I don't seem to find it anymore.
Old Jun 11, 2013, 12:49 PM   #119
Deaderinred
Banned

Deaderinred once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Deaderinred once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Deaderinred once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Deaderinred once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Deaderinred once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Deaderinred once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

no its not.

its no different to the system in place on ps3/360 and no publisher in their right mind will enforce a batshit insane system like the one currently in place on xbone. nothing like that is happening on ps4.

you are grasping at straws now.

Last edited by Deaderinred : Jun 11, 2013 at 12:51 PM.
Deaderinred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2013, 12:50 PM   #120
Deaderinred
Banned

Deaderinred once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Deaderinred once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Deaderinred once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Deaderinred once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Deaderinred once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Deaderinred once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by painkiller View Post
Now where was the button to ignore someone in this forum? I don't seem to find it anymore.
you gotta go to their profile page, just click crash's name and you'll get there.
Deaderinred is offline   Reply With Quote