Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Archived Discussions » Radeon Tweaking, Modding, and Overclocking
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Radeon Tweaking, Modding, and Overclocking Discuss Radeon tweaking, modding, and overclocking practices. Want to post your benchmarks scores? This is the place!

Old Jul 3, 2002, 06:10 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
morphling1

morphling1 is still being judged by the masses

Default Water Cooled Hercules 8500

Hi I'm new to this forum,I pretty much hang only on cooling part of the few top forums, but now with my new Herc 8500, I joined the best forum for Ati based cards.
So I'll start with what I do best, and that's watercooling.
I set my mind to have full water cooled graphic card,so I came up with this idea: All in one solution, one block covering gpu and ddr on one side on the other block ddr on the other side. Blocks will be connected between them, so I will have only one inlet and outlet for complete cooling.
Here's acad drawing of my desing.

This is last week work:
I just finished milling and cutting contour of one block, that means the harder part of the job is over.

And this is todays work:

I finished the most boring part of the job, and that's taping all the M3 holes, 21 total. And if you think that, with hand tap, you have to do each hole three times, that's a lot of taping. Tomorrow I'll do little grinding to mate both blocks perfect, then it's just joy of working with plexy tops .
Old Jul 3, 2002, 07:04 PM   #2
Jasef
Radeon Arctic Islands

Jasef is not someone to be trifled withJasef is not someone to be trifled withJasef is not someone to be trifled withJasef is not someone to be trifled withJasef is not someone to be trifled withJasef is not someone to be trifled withJasef is not someone to be trifled withJasef is not someone to be trifled with

Now I really want to see the result of this
Really nice work. You have those machines at home? Wish I had, I have to go to the school and find someone to let me in to use their thingies
Old Jul 3, 2002, 07:09 PM   #3
morphling1

Yes I have that machine at home, it's desktop lathe with drill press, nothing serious, but if you know how to use it, you can do a lot of things.
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jul 4, 2002, 05:49 PM   #4
morphling1

Here's today work:
Both block are now grinded to be aligned

Here's the top and bottom block from the other side

And here's both block on the card, everything was Ok all resistors and capacitators were cleared and the block are sitting on gpu and ddr, and the card is now running like that in my computer.

So the end is very near
Old Jul 4, 2002, 06:44 PM   #5
Clemento
Radeon R200

Clemento is still being judged by the masses

Thumbs up wow man!!!!

this is realy cool!!! you are genious!!!
How does it stand in your mobo?
Are there any problems bexause of its weight?
256DDR rama, Hercules R8500LE o/c 306/317, IBM DTLA-45GB, SB Audigy &
DTT2200, 400W Maxpower PSU, Samsung SyncMaster 959nf, ...
Old Jul 4, 2002, 06:59 PM   #6
morphling1

Thanks, the card has no problem in my comp it doesn't bend at all, and when I'll finnished it will be even less of a problem because the hoses on top will hold some weight.
Old Jul 5, 2002, 07:48 PM   #7
morphling1

Ok, fellas, some oc. results, even without water and using one vent on each side, the block cool card very well, with v mod, I now at 335/680 so 350/350 is in my reach. I hope that I get athlon xp next week and the I'm on to some serious 3d marking.
Old Jul 7, 2002, 04:58 AM   #8
ErrorS
gfdsa

ErrorS is still being judged by the masses

ah thats sweet.. seriously, looks more then proffesional..

http://www2.arnes.si/~mlivak/Herc8500/Hercules1.jpg </=-This picture is nice would be worth hanging on a wall..

heh.. good job
Old Jul 8, 2002, 04:40 AM   #9
midnight
Radeon R200

midnight is still being judged by the masses

Awesome.

How cheap is copper in slovenia?
Old Jul 8, 2002, 06:41 AM   #10
Jasef
Radeon Arctic Islands

Jasef is not someone to be trifled withJasef is not someone to be trifled withJasef is not someone to be trifled withJasef is not someone to be trifled withJasef is not someone to be trifled withJasef is not someone to be trifled withJasef is not someone to be trifled withJasef is not someone to be trifled with

Im really tempted to buy a watercooling system just to make one of those too
And that OC you have now is amazing, It will be VERY interesting to see hoow far you can go

And don't forget to put this at the modded Radeons topic in General discussion too
Old Jul 8, 2002, 12:44 PM   #11
morphling1

Thanks,
Hmm, price of copper in Slovenia, aprox. 5$/kg, depends on profile.
I knew the I saw some modified radeons here, but I could find where it was. (I clicked on link, and didn'd bookmark it)
I'll make the same topic there
Old Jul 12, 2002, 09:03 AM   #12
Jasef
Radeon Arctic Islands

Any updates on this project? Was a while since there was anything new
Old Jul 12, 2002, 10:15 AM   #13
morphling1

Yes, big update comming tonight or tomorrow, depend on how tired I'll be
Old Jul 12, 2002, 04:37 PM   #14
Jasef
Radeon Arctic Islands

You stay awake now, this is currently my favorite thread
Old Jul 13, 2002, 01:21 PM   #15
morphling1

Sorry I couldn't After todays work I'm almost finished, only connection block with o-ring groves, and I'm done. Test run tomorrow with lots of pics. of everything finnished. For now just this.
Old Jul 14, 2002, 11:47 AM   #16
windmiller
Radeon R700

Location: United States Dimly lit support center somewhere in NC.
windmiller is still being judged by the masses

watching this transpire has been a cool experience...thanks for sharing with us.......in your pics what is that bottle/device with the pink liquid in it???

had to ask....
Old Jul 14, 2002, 02:20 PM   #17
morphling1

windmiller, which pic. do you look at ?

Ok, more pics. I'm finished, but I won't installed it yet, I need to make northbridge block too, (base of the wb on the left of the 3rd pic.) so I don't have to go through all procedure of waterblock mounting twice.

And keep your monitors clean
Old Jul 14, 2002, 03:27 PM   #18
Pulsar
Radeon R420

Pulsar is still being judged by the masses

Wow.. very impressive!!!
Old Jul 14, 2002, 05:44 PM   #19
Jasef
Radeon Arctic Islands

This is insane... I will never be able to tweak my card and not thinking "Oh, compared to that other guy, I really do SUCK!"
Old Jul 14, 2002, 10:16 PM   #20
windmiller
Radeon R700

Location: United States Dimly lit support center somewhere in NC.
windmiller is still being judged by the masses

Morphling1...the pic I was curious about was called air bledder. Is it an air bleeder??? anyway the bottle with the pink liquid in it looked like it was attached to a computer??? just curious.......

also what is the see through material that you've put on the bottom??

looks REALLY GOOD!!!!
Old Jul 15, 2002, 03:43 AM   #21
morphling1

Ahh, that pic, yeah that was my old system air bleeder, and the water is pinkish from something similar to water wetter. Can you show on pic. what see through material you mean, but I can tell you it's probably pleksy.

Jasef,
Old Jul 25, 2002, 01:10 PM   #22
Jasef
Radeon Arctic Islands

I wouldnt mind some updates on this
Old Jul 25, 2002, 06:36 PM   #23
morphling1

Uf updates, I almost forgot the cooling was succesfuly tested on Hercules, and I oc to 340/340 ,then I try I little more voltage and tested at 345/345, but I was paying attention to something else, while my display was covered with artifact, I abort the test lower the clock but artifact stayed, I dammaged ddr. And today my card was replaced with Gigabyte 8500 , even better card realy great package. So I'm resuming my cooling project with this card, which needs a lot more modifications cos' there are more capacitators around ddr.
And here are my record in win xp 3d mark run at 335/335:

http://service.madonion.com/compare?2k1=3968587
And I'll post my 340/340 run later (madonion servers are down) but I can tell that it is 11556
Old Jul 25, 2002, 08:08 PM   #24
dhc014
Radeon Evergreen

dhc014 is still being judged by the masses

That's an impressive block! Best waater-cooling mod I've seen yet.
Old Jul 26, 2002, 12:41 PM   #25
Jasef
Radeon Arctic Islands

Thats a sad thing to hear

Oh well, the score was really impressive, and I hope everything works out fine with you Gigabyte board
Old Jul 26, 2002, 01:45 PM   #26
morphling1

But it worked great for me I got this Gigabyte instead, and this card is better overall with hardware monitoring of temps rpm. dual ramdac, dvi-vga connector.
But unfortunatly it's not that god of a overclocker. At least for gpu, it's limit will be around 330 with water (currently 320) but the memory is equaly good as with Hercules. Voltmoded of course.
When I'll start building this new waterblock I'll keep you posted.