Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Software
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Software Anything software that is not operating system related goes here. Talk about the latest applications or discuss betas of upcoming products.

Old Jan 20, 2003, 07:59 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
NiDan
...because we can.

NiDan is still being judged by the masses

Question data recovery

i need the name of a good data recovery program.
Anyone got any suggestions? (free is better, but i'd be willing to drop a few bucks if necessary)
I tried using R-Studio but the demo doesn't allow me to retrieve files larger than 16k.

Hard drive i was working with started giving me all sorts of problems this weekend and the drive i used to backup the crucial data was reformatted (quick format so the data is still on there)

I need to either extract the data from the formatted drive or somehow get the other drive working again.

the dead drive is being detected by the bios, but when i try to load windows (right now it's a slave drive) i get a message "Slave drive failure" and then it asks to either go into the bios or just boot anyway. Windows cannot see the drive either. I've changed the ribbon cable, the power connector and tried hooking it to another pc, but stll no luck.

Any suggestions would be great... thanks
NiDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2003, 09:40 AM   #2
jonmcc33
Banned

jonmcc33 is still being judged by the masses

No data recovery software will ever be free. All the demos do is let you see the data but not recover it.

If the data is that important to you and you didn't back it up then you have to be willing to pay for it.

I have EasyRecovery Professional but it cost $400.
jonmcc33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2003, 10:26 AM   #3
Oscar1613
My spoon is too big!

Oscar1613 is still being judged by the masses

see PM

#15360:
<FunG> i dunno how anyone thats smart could put up with your opinionated and pretentious ass. if i were locked in a room with you for 10 minutes id stab myself in the face. id have to before your personality oozed all over me and make me second in command of the idiot ship.

[19:39] <Robotzombie> logen you psychopath
[19:40] <Robotzombie> I was joking you asscramp
Oscar1613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jan 20, 2003, 01:40 PM   #4
hobs0n
Radeon Arctic Islands

hobs0n is still being judged by the masses

Wink

Quote:
Originally posted by Oscar1613
see PM
HMMMM
hobs0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2003, 04:56 PM   #5
Razor6
Radeon R700

Razor6 is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally posted by jonmcc33
No data recovery software will ever be free. All the demos do is let you see the data but not recover it.

If the data is that important to you and you didn't back it up then you have to be willing to pay for it.

I have EasyRecovery Professional but it cost $400.
None will ever be free eh? Guess you never heard of PC Inspector File Recovery.

The web page.
Razor6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2003, 08:48 PM   #6
jonmcc33
Banned

jonmcc33 is still being judged by the masses

^^^^Interesting, but then I saw this:

"Please note that we do not offer any e-mail or telephone support for the free software product, PC Inspector File Recovery 3.x. You will find problem-solving tips and tricks in our FAQ."

Um, they don't support it? No way.
jonmcc33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2003, 09:57 PM   #7
infowar
Banned

infowar is still being judged by the masses

ive been trying r-studio demo and mkraid --rebuild to try and get back some data on raid 0 drives, one of which is no longer seen by the controller as part of the array but otherwise is working fine. i have had limited sucess. any other programs with raid functionality like r-studio...it has all of the features..it just doesnt get most of the files:/
infowar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2003, 03:25 PM   #8
Razor6
Radeon R700

Quote:
Originally posted by jonmcc33
^^^^Interesting, but then I saw this:

"Please note that we do not offer any e-mail or telephone support for the free software product, PC Inspector File Recovery 3.x. You will find problem-solving tips and tricks in our FAQ."

Um, they don't support it? No way.
I don't think such a simple utility needs much in the way of tech support. It works and is free, can't go wrong there.
Old Jan 24, 2003, 03:35 PM   #9
Razor6
Radeon R700

Quote:
Originally posted by infowar
ive been trying r-studio demo and mkraid --rebuild to try and get back some data on raid 0 drives, one of which is no longer seen by the controller as part of the array but otherwise is working fine. i have had limited sucess. any other programs with raid functionality like r-studio...it has all of the features..it just doesnt get most of the files:/
I used to use a raid 0 array of 2 drives. I ended up killing the array, while messing around trying to install linux. The controller thought that the second drive was no longer a part of the array. I went into the promise bios utility and remade the array as it was before. I then used WinXP recovery console to do a thorough scandisk which was able to recover many of the lost files. Albeit there were some files corrupted and the directory structure was lost, I did have most of the files back. You may want to try remaking the array as you had it before, I had no choice since the array contained my boot partition.
Old Jan 25, 2003, 02:34 AM   #10
infowar
Banned

infowar is still being judged by the masses

mine is a highpoint controller. the only options i have are "delete the array/ ignore the array and continue booting/ and shut down the computer" i guess i should destroy it, make a new raid0 array with the same stripe size and then chkdsk it from what you're saying. i already made the mistake of doing "ignore the array and continue booting" and then booting into windows..it saw the corrupted drive and did chkdsk...probably mesed up any chance of getting alot of it back, but made me a folder with abunch of my <64k files. there's nothing really important on the drives, and i dont need the space...any other sugestions? im deffinatly going to try unchecking "read only mode" in r-studio, some more of the linux ntfstools after mkraid -rebuild and just making it again in highpoint bios before all out formatting them...its kindof fun.
infowar is offline   Reply With Quote