Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Community and Site Discussions » Off Topic Lounge
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Off Topic Lounge Discuss anything you want here folks. A place for computer junkies to boldly post Off Topic... Rant and rave if it is necessary, but just try to keep it clean!

Old Sep 24, 2002, 10:32 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Lindset
Arrrhhh

Lindset is still being judged by the masses

Default Do you belive in destiny?

Do you belive in destiny? Do you think there's already been plotted out a road for you, or do you think that you choose your own road supported by the actions you choose?

It's impossible to know for sure, but how do you feel about this?
Old Sep 24, 2002, 10:57 AM   #2
systems
Radeon Northern Islands

systems is still being judged by the masses

I don't think either way matters:

1. Destiny is true. In this case, everything you do is meant to happen, so you can't do anything about it.

2. Destiny is false. In this case, everything you do is up to you.

The trouble is, if destiny is true and you do whatever you like, then it is indistinguishable from destiny being false (you'll be doing what you like anyway).

And if destiny is false and you choose to "go with the flow", then this will be indistinguishable from destiny being true (everything will feel like it was meant to be that way).

As for where I stand, if you want something doing do it yourself. Wait for things to happen and you'll look back on your life and wish you'd done more.
systems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2002, 11:10 AM   #3
Themlasu
Cosmic

Themlasu is still being judged by the masses

Well we are all destined to die...so in that fact it's true. Other then that I'm not sure...I guess I never gave it much thought. Thanks Lindset now another thing I'll ponder.
when we are dreaming, and as often happens, have a dim consciousness of the fact and try to wake, do we not say and do things which in waking life would be insane? May we not then sometimes define insanity as an inability to distinguish which is the waking and which the sleeping life? We often dream without the least suspicion of unreality: 'Sleep hath its own world', and it is often as lifelike as the other.
Charles Lutwidge Dodgson (aka Lewis Carroll)
Themlasu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Sep 24, 2002, 11:17 AM   #4
AlienZombie
Radeon Caribbean Islands

AlienZombie is still being judged by the masses

I think what systems said was quite interesting...But I'm going to say no, I don't think we're "destined" to do anything. To quote T2, "No fate...there is no fate but what we make for ourselves."
To think you are helpless to alter what happens to you in your own life is absurd, I think...
Old Sep 24, 2002, 11:23 AM   #5
NiDan
...because we can.

NiDan is still being judged by the masses

no... i don't like the idea that everything i do is already pre-ordained by some force that i can't control.

maybe destiny(or fate) really exists, i'd rather believe i'm still in control.... ignorance is bliss...
NiDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2002, 11:52 AM   #6
Hanners
Zetsubou Sensei

Hanners is still being judged by the masses

Funnily enough, I've been pondering this question quite a lot recently for one reason or another.

I think if you don't believe in a God of any kind, it's very hard (if not impossible) to believe in destiny.

I've often wondered if something was 'meant to be', but I think at the end of the day you are just an individual, and the choices you make (and the choices people around you make) are what shapes your future.

Like systems points out though, it doesn't really matter either way. Just enjoy life, and don't worry about who or what controls it too much...
Old Sep 24, 2002, 12:26 PM   #7
Eolis
Pull My Finger

Location: Like a picture she was layin' there, moonlight dancin' off her hair. She woke up and took me by the hand, she's gonna love me in my Chevy van, and that's alright with me...
Eolis is still being judged by the masses

I believe that when it's your time to go, then it's your time to go. Nothing you can do will change that. I believe god has a plan for everybody, but I also believe that you have the choice to follow whatever "path" leads to that plan or not. God created everybody with free will, and leaves you to determine your own fate through your actions. Therefore, I believe that "fate" or "destiny" is NOT written in stone.....

Last edited by Eolis : Sep 24, 2002 at 12:29 PM.
Eolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2002, 01:03 PM   #8
Zero
Sass hole

Zero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English Channel

I like to believe in synchronicity and in "God creating meetings, but humans creating departures".

please refrain from telling other forum members to "Go eat a buffet of dicks." in the future.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2002, 02:36 PM   #9
ZepBrian
Banned

ZepBrian is still being judged by the masses

yes and no.... but i really dont care to go into it... it would cause me to bring up examples that i dont want to discuss
ZepBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2002, 04:13 PM   #10
Five-seveN
Adios, Rage3D

Five-seveN is still being judged by the masses

Half and half. I can't control everything that happens to me, but I sure as hell can control how I get through it. I try not to think about it too hard, but for the most part I'm in control of my own life.

I got a sad one too.

Bye guys. It's been a lot of fun.
Five-seveN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2002, 09:08 PM   #11
pax
Rage3D Spammer

pax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird sings

Default I think some things are...

too mnay coincidences in life I feel to have life be a purely random existence... also logic dictates some things must be pre destined... I dont belive in a fundamentally meaningless temporal existence

Piledriver Rig 2016: Gigabyte G1 gaming 990fx. FX 8350 cpu. Asus R290 DCUII Cats 19.9.3, SoundBlaster ZXR, 2 x 8 gig ddr3 1866 Kingston. 1 x 2tb Firecuda seagate with 8 gig mlc SSHD. Sharp 60" 4k 60 hz tv. Win 10 home.

Ryzen Rig 2017: Gigabyte X370 K7 F40 bios. Ryzen 1700x. 2 x 8 ddr4 3600 (@3200) Gskill. Sapphire Vega 64 Reference Cooler Cats 19.9.3. Soundblaster X Ae5 May 10th 2018 driver. 28" Upstar 4k ips 60hz panel, Intel 600p NVME 512GB. 4 TB HGST NAS HD. Win 10 pro.

Ignore List: Keystone... -My Baron he wishes to inform you that vendetta, as he puts it in the ancient tongue, the art of kanlee is still alive... He does not wish to meet or speak with you...-
"Either half my colleagues are enormously stupid, or else the science of darwinism is fully compatible with conventional religious beliefs and equally compatible with atheism." -Stephen Jay Gould, Rock of Ages.
"The Intelligibility of the Universe itself needs explanation. It is not the gaps of understanding of the world that points to God but rather the very comprehensibility of scientific and other forms of understanding that requires an explanation." -Richard Swinburne

www.realitysandwich.com

www.makepovertyhistory.org
pax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2002, 09:19 PM   #12
thesavage
Kupo!!!

thesavage is still being judged by the masses

no... no destiny belief here at all... i believe that we all have the abilities to control our future and we shouldn't let things go (like a pretty girl for example) just because we weren't "destined" to be together
ATi Radeon 9600 Pro
Turtle Beach Santa Cruz
120 GB SATA Seagate Barracuda 7200.7
Lite-On 48x24x48x/16x CDRW/DVD-ROM Combo Drive
Logitech MX700 Cordless Optical Mouse
Logitech Wingman Rumblepad Pro Gamepad
Monsoon PM-9 Flat Panel Speakers
thesavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2002, 09:50 PM   #13
gwarz
I AM FAT ALBERT!!!!!!

gwarz is still being judged by the masses

i believe in fate, its not something i want to believe but i honestly can not rationalize things being any other way, we have no control over what we are born into or the enviroment we are raised in
tire. These are the powers of the
dragon. All things from this world
are powerless before the dragon."

-Panzer Dragoon Saga
gwarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2002, 06:37 PM   #14
HybridHB
Radeon Northern Islands

HybridHB is still being judged by the masses

Well, i beleive in it because i beleive in psychics (real ones not phony ones). So if psychics can see ones future, doesnt that mean your life and actions are predetermined?
HybridHB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2002, 08:43 PM   #15
JesseRR16
Radeon R520

JesseRR16 is still being judged by the masses

think of this... you look up at the stars at night, the light you see is just reaching your eyes now.. by looking at the stars u have no idea whats gunna happin to it in it's future ..... but the light reaching u is billions of years old, and the stars future is set in stone............... now this doesn't have anything to do with us, just an example of fate existing ..
Mobo: NForce 2
3DMark 2005 = 5700
3dMark 2006 = 2700
Consoles: NES,SNES,PSX,N64,DC,GC,DS,XBOX,PS2,WII,XBOX360
JesseRR16 is offline   Reply With Quote