Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

Old Oct 18, 2020, 10:44 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Lazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Default Anyone gone with the Note/S20 line?

My note 8 is tired. Not really, but I want a Note 20 Ultra, and was wondering if anyone was willing to give their impressions.
Lazy8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2020, 09:39 AM   #2
A2597
A Peculiar Person

A2597 knows why the caged bird singsA2597 knows why the caged bird singsA2597 knows why the caged bird singsA2597 knows why the caged bird singsA2597 knows why the caged bird singsA2597 knows why the caged bird sings

I'm keeping my note 9 until it's unusable. Battery still easily gets me through a day, WITH casual gaming and multiple conference calls. Cameras are great, screen is great...basically, Note 9 is my peak smartphone. Nothing in the newer note line has enticed me away yet. Note 30 might, we'll see...

But you are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that you should show forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light.
1 Peter 2:9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vengeance View Post
:heart: I took a few weeks off, but Rage is like a home away from home.
A2597 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2020, 11:04 AM   #3
somewon
Rage3D Veteran

somewon is still being judged by the masses

Went from a Note 8 to a Note 20 Ultra 512GB.
Didn't think I was missing much, but boy was I wrong

a) no more internal storage space issues
b) 120hz display is amazing and everything is super silky smooth
c) camera is amazing: optical zoom, wide angle, 108MP, night view modes are all welcomed additions
d) faster processors, more RAM = have not noticed a single hiccup, period
e) screen is larger, helps with eye fatigue
f) stylus is more accurate and supports more functionality
g) 3 years of guaranteed OS updates, i'll take it

In summary, a bunch of welcome additions, a much smoother and refined experience all-around -- glad I made the upgrade!
somewon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Oct 19, 2020, 11:37 AM   #4
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Lazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by A2597 View Post
I'm keeping my note 9 until it's unusable. Battery still easily gets me through a day, WITH casual gaming and multiple conference calls. Cameras are great, screen is great...basically, Note 9 is my peak smartphone. Nothing in the newer note line has enticed me away yet. Note 30 might, we'll see...
I was planning on keeping the 8 until the screen fell off lol, but I was wondering how much I was missing and have been hearing mini reviews like the one below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewon View Post
Went from a Note 8 to a Note 20 Ultra 512GB.
Didn't think I was missing much, but boy was I wrong

a) no more internal storage space issues
b) 120hz display is amazing and everything is super silky smooth
c) camera is amazing: optical zoom, wide angle, 108MP, night view modes are all welcomed additions
d) faster processors, more RAM = have not noticed a single hiccup, period
e) screen is larger, helps with eye fatigue
f) stylus is more accurate and supports more functionality
g) 3 years of guaranteed OS updates, i'll take it

In summary, a bunch of welcome additions, a much smoother and refined experience all-around -- glad I made the upgrade!
Thank you sir I'm looking at the 128Gb variety just to save a few dollars and Samsung is offering a fairly decent trade in for the 8 right now. I was debating waiting for black Friday, but I'm pretty sure I won't

Thanks for the replies guys
Old Oct 19, 2020, 01:34 PM   #5
somewon
Rage3D Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy8s View Post
I was planning on keeping the 8 until the screen fell off lol, but I was wondering how much I was missing and have been hearing mini reviews like the one below.

Thank you sir I'm looking at the 128Gb variety just to save a few dollars and Samsung is offering a fairly decent trade in for the 8 right now. I was debating waiting for black Friday, but I'm pretty sure I won't

Thanks for the replies guys
You'll enjoy either the 128 or 512, I'm sure of it!

Oh, and forgot to add, 5G!
I'm with T-Mobile, and was pleasantly surprised that I had pretty good 5G coverage just about everywhere i travelled to last week, including a cabin atop mountains in the woods.
Old Oct 19, 2020, 02:17 PM   #6
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Quote:
You'll enjoy either the 128 or 512, I'm sure of it!

Oh, and forgot to add, 5G!
I'm with T-Mobile, and was pleasantly surprised that I had pretty good 5G coverage just about everywhere i travelled to last week, including a cabin atop mountains in the woods.
That's good to hear! We're on T-mo too and that was one of my last reservations. This will be the first brand new bought_the_same_year it was released phone I've had for ages. Now I'm just having to wait and see if Samsung puts up some good black Friday deals so I can get my new toy

And...although it won't be often, I'm dying to see how well the playstation app works on it. Sitting at my desk at work playing Nioh might not be what the boss wants to see, but....
Old Oct 19, 2020, 02:56 PM   #7
somewon
Rage3D Veteran

Quote:
That's good to hear! We're on T-mo too and that was one of my last reservations. This will be the first brand new bought_the_same_year it was released phone I've had for ages. Now I'm just having to wait and see if Samsung puts up some good black Friday deals so I can get my new toy

And...although it won't be often, I'm dying to see how well the playstation app works on it. Sitting at my desk at work playing Nioh might not be what the boss wants to see, but....
Hah, you're right.
I haven't installed the PS app on it yet, will do so this week and share the experience.
Old Oct 27, 2020, 12:27 AM   #8
somewon
Rage3D Veteran

Handled the PS App like a champ -- buttery smooth experience all-around.

Also, spoiled myself this week and popped in a 1TB Sandisk Micro SD in there.
My phone has 1.5 TB of storage space on it now -- no concerns whatsoever now about snapping 108 MP photos or shooting 4K/8K videos.
Old Oct 27, 2020, 06:16 AM   #9
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Quote:
Handled the PS App like a champ -- buttery smooth experience all-around.

Also, spoiled myself this week and popped in a 1TB Sandisk Micro SD in there.
My phone has 1.5 TB of storage space on it now -- no concerns whatsoever now about snapping 108 MP photos or shooting 4K/8K videos.
Thanks for the update. I'm hoping for a black friday deal, but I'm getting one either way. It'll just be sweet if I can save a little on it
Old Oct 27, 2020, 07:23 PM   #10
somewon
Rage3D Veteran

Quote:
Thanks for the update. I'm hoping for a black friday deal, but I'm getting one either way. It'll just be sweet if I can save a little on it
Amen to that.

I saved by taking advantage of a buy 1 get $1000 off another Note device.
Forked over the ~$1500 USD for my 512GB Note Ultra, Ebay'd the other to recoup some money.
Old Oct 28, 2020, 05:38 AM   #11
Silent-Runner
nulli secundus

Silent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English Channel

it's a cool mobile - if you're not from europe. For some reason we're only getting the Exynos 990 instead of the Snapdragon 865+. For a 1.200€ phone that's a "bit" disappointing to say at least.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

"You're only given a little spark of madness, you mustn't lose it" *Robin Williams*

Silent-Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2020, 05:53 AM   #12
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Quote:
Amen to that.

I saved by taking advantage of a buy 1 get $1000 off another Note device.
Forked over the ~$1500 USD for my 512GB Note Ultra, Ebay'd the other to recoup some money.
I've been watching for a buy 1 get 1 deal too. That's a great way to save some $$ too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent-Runner View Post
it's a cool mobile - if you're not from europe. For some reason we're only getting the Exynos 990 instead of the Snapdragon 865+. For a 1.200€ phone that's a "bit" disappointing to say at least.
I saw that mentioned in a review a while back. Disappointing for sure. For that much money the best hardware available ought to be standard.
Old Nov 1, 2020, 06:35 AM   #13
SirBaron
Hallowed are the Ori

SirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Quote:
Yeah it's why I didn't get one, instead of getting a phone this time I got the Samsung S7+ tablet, which thankfully comes with the Snapdragon 865+.
Old Nov 11, 2020, 10:24 PM   #14
somewon
Rage3D Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirBaron View Post
Yeah it's why I didn't get one, instead of getting a phone this time I got the Samsung S7+ tablet, which thankfully comes with the Snapdragon 865+.
Interesting.

Thinking if one adds a data plan to it (given that it has 5G) it could double as a phone I suppose.

Wondering how mobile/pocketable/realistic this is...
Old Nov 12, 2020, 05:27 AM   #15
Silent-Runner
nulli secundus

Silent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English Channel

Quote:
Interesting.

Thinking if one adds a data plan to it (given that it has 5G) it could double as a phone I suppose.

Wondering how mobile/pocketable/realistic this is...
it's an 11" device, i'm not sure if or how you would use it as a "phone". Other than that it's a very nice tablet, of course

"You're only given a little spark of madness, you mustn't lose it" *Robin Williams*

Old Nov 12, 2020, 10:41 AM   #16
somewon
Rage3D Veteran

Quote:
it's an 11" device, i'm not sure if or how you would use it as a "phone". Other than that it's a very nice tablet, of course
Scratch that then!

For some reason I thought there were 7.0/8.0" varieties of them as well.
Old Nov 12, 2020, 04:23 PM   #17
Silent-Runner
nulli secundus

Quote:
Scratch that then!

For some reason I thought there were 7.0/8.0" varieties of them as well.
i was talking about the tablet, you know that, right?

Old Nov 12, 2020, 09:05 PM   #18
somewon
Rage3D Veteran

Quote:
i was talking about the tablet, you know that, right?
Yes, of which I had erroneously assumed there were 7" and 8" versions
(I own a few 7" and 8" tablets, Fires and older Samsungs -- however haven't kept up much with the tablet space in some time).