Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Graphics Technology Forums » AMD Radeon Discussion and Support
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

AMD Radeon Discussion and Support General discussion, tweaking, overclocking and technical support questions about discrete Radeon graphics products.

Old Dec 13, 2019, 03:56 PM   #211
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
lmchv
Planet Express

lmchv can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultylmchv can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWR_Midnight View Post
What slot is the sound blaster in?
In the only x1 slot the mobo has. I have already removed the sound card for testing, and the result was the same.
BEHEMOTH (Desktop): Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Intel Core i9 9900K @5.0Ghz + Asus ROG Ryuo 240 | Corsair Ballistic 32GB DDR4-3000 | Dell 2715Q 27" 4K | XFX Radeon VII 16GB | CoolerMaster Cosmos C700P + Asus ROG Thor 1200W Platinum | Sound Blaster Z + Logitech Z-5500 + CM Storm Sirus | HyperX Alloy Elite RGB CherryMX Red+ Logitech G700S + Gigabyte Krypton | Samsung 950 Pro NVMe SSD 512GB + 2 x Samsung 850 Pro SSD 512GB RAID0 + 2 x Western Digital Black 1TB RAID0 | LG BD-RE | Windows 10 Pro 64bits

Charquito (Desktop): Asus Sabertooth X99 | Intel Core i7 5930K @4.7Ghz + Corsair Hydro H110 | Kingston HyperX 32GB DDR4-2400 | Dell U2713HM 27" | Asus ROG Strix Geforce GTX1080| Cooler Master Cosmos 2 + Thermaltake Toughpower 1200W | Microsoft Reclusa + Logitech MX Performance | Kingston HyperX 240GB SSD + Seagate 500GB | Sony BD-ROM | Windows 10 Pro 64bits

Bloodzone.net Moderator
lmchv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2019, 04:04 PM   #212
NWR_Midnight
Radeon Volcanic Islands

NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmchv View Post
In the only x1 slot the mobo has. I have already removed the sound card for testing, and the result was the same.
Ok, was making sure you didn't use the PCIE_2 (X16) slot under the GPU. Even a X1 pcie card (sound card) in the PCIE_2 slot will cause PCIE_1 (the gpu slot) to revert to X8. In the past I have had to bypass using the X1 slot above the GPU due to heat issues (usually caused by poor air flow, or heat from the GPU due to over clocking it) So I wasn't assuming you automatically used the X1 slot.

After you test all possible ideas that have been discussed and have not solved the issue, you may want to test it with the motherboard outside the case. It's very possible that you could have a grounding issue (motherboard touching the case where it isn't supposed to) usually caused by a defective solder joint that extends out from the bottom of the motherboard slightly farther than it is supposed to, making it almost undetectable. You would be surprised how little off the wall things can cause the weirdest issues. I had a cat bite a mouse cable a number of years ago. The machine worked fine, as long as you didn't want to turn it off. You could not power it down no matter what was tried (power button did nothing, holding the power button down did nothing, shut down in windows just reboot the machine). the only way you could turn it off, was to unplug the power cord. I was floored when It turned out to be the usb mouse that caused it, due to the cat chewing on the mouse cable.

~I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability. ~ Ron White
~You can't fix Stupid! ~ Ron White
~There's not a pill you can take; there's not a class you can go to. - ~Stupid is forever. ~ Ron White
~Life is a hard teacher, it gives you the test before it teaches you the lesson.
~It's never to late to have a good childhood! The older you are, the better the toys! ~ My Dad
~Live everyday as though it is your last, it can all end at any moment!

Last edited by NWR_Midnight : Dec 13, 2019 at 04:22 PM.
NWR_Midnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2019, 05:01 PM   #213
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Need to get the 1080 in there to see if that card shows 8x as well. If it does, it's the motherboard as the 1080 used to show 16x before (I assume?). If it shows 16x, I'd RMA or return the Radeon.
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Dec 13, 2019, 06:38 PM   #214
NWR_Midnight
Radeon Volcanic Islands

NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunz View Post
Need to get the 1080 in there to see if that card shows 8x as well. If it does, it's the motherboard as the 1080 used to show 16x before (I assume?). If it shows 16x, I'd RMA or return the Radeon.
Could still be a motherboard issue, even if the 1080 shows X16, as it could be a bug in the bios, or not properly supported. I learned with my son's dell (I know, it's a dell.. lol) that the bios actually has to be coded to support various GPU's, which includes pci-e speed.. (the dell which is pretty old by our standards, would take a Nvidia 1060, but not an equivalent AMD branded card, or even a tier lower). But, I would also chose to return the GPU first over the motherboard.

OP: Here is a thread about the same issue: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthrea...instead-of-x16

One suggestion that caught my eye on page 2, was this about the card's power cables:

Quote:
Are your 6 + 2 pin PCI E power cables properly connected to the VGA ports of your EVGA power supply? VGA1 and VGA2? try on VGA 3 and 4. I have a friend who had the same worries and by swapping his cables he found the PCI E X16.
I would verify all power connectors are connected properly, on the card, and on the power supply. Also make sure you are using 2 separate cables not one that has duel connectors (can't tell from this picture below, you put up in pics of your computer section , but from researching your power supply, it has this cable (https://cdn.mos.cms.futurecdn.net/fD...a4Fmaq2Tx4.jpg) a dual connector cable, which it looks like you may be using and connecting both connectors, which is bad)

Quote:
New card!

Radeon VII

~There's not a pill you can take; there's not a class you can go to. - ~Stupid is forever. ~ Ron White
~Life is a hard teacher, it gives you the test before it teaches you the lesson.
~It's never to late to have a good childhood! The older you are, the better the toys! ~ My Dad

Last edited by NWR_Midnight : Dec 13, 2019 at 07:09 PM.
Old Dec 14, 2019, 10:00 AM   #215
lmchv
Planet Express

lmchv can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultylmchv can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

I don't remember if the GTX1080 was running @x16 after I build this computer in July, it never crossed my mind.

I have a Thor 1200W Platinum PSU, a single cable should be more than enough, but honestly it doesn't hurt to try a second cable for the other 8 pin connector, I will for sure, my GTX1080 is 8+6, this card is 8+8

The computer turns on and off properly, no ground issues that I can tell.

Also, I can't return the card, I live in Peru, sending it back will cost me several hundred dollars, I may as well buy a new card!
BEHEMOTH (Desktop): Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Intel Core i9 9900K @5.0Ghz + Asus ROG Ryuo 240 | Corsair Ballistic 32GB DDR4-3000 | Dell 2715Q 27" 4K | XFX Radeon VII 16GB | CoolerMaster Cosmos C700P + Asus ROG Thor 1200W Platinum | Sound Blaster Z + Logitech Z-5500 + CM Storm Sirus | HyperX Alloy Elite RGB CherryMX Red+ Logitech G700S + Gigabyte Krypton | Samsung 950 Pro NVMe SSD 512GB + 2 x Samsung 850 Pro SSD 512GB RAID0 + 2 x Western Digital Black 1TB RAID0 | LG BD-RE | Windows 10 Pro 64bits

Charquito (Desktop): Asus Sabertooth X99 | Intel Core i7 5930K @4.7Ghz + Corsair Hydro H110 | Kingston HyperX 32GB DDR4-2400 | Dell U2713HM 27" | Asus ROG Strix Geforce GTX1080| Cooler Master Cosmos 2 + Thermaltake Toughpower 1200W | Microsoft Reclusa + Logitech MX Performance | Kingston HyperX 240GB SSD + Seagate 500GB | Sony BD-ROM | Windows 10 Pro 64bits

Bloodzone.net Moderator
Old Dec 14, 2019, 02:19 PM   #216
NWR_Midnight
Radeon Volcanic Islands

Quote:
I don't remember if the GTX1080 was running @x16 after I build this computer in July, it never crossed my mind.

I have a Thor 1200W Platinum PSU, a single cable should be more than enough, but honestly it doesn't hurt to try a second cable for the other 8 pin connector, I will for sure, my GTX1080 is 8+6, this card is 8+8

The computer turns on and off properly, no ground issues that I can tell.

Also, I can't return the card, I live in Peru, sending it back will cost me several hundred dollars, I may as well buy a new card!
When you use only 1 cable with dual connectors, you are trying to pull 300 watts thru that one cable (each pci-e 8 pin connector is supposed to support 150 watts). It's not the power supply you need to worry about (well not yours as yours is all 1 rail, if you had one that had 2 rails, then you would also worry about power supply). Most cables are not designed to pull 300 watts thru them, and tend to cause resistance, not capable of feeding the full 300 watts to the GPU, which will cause them to get hot. Some people have gotten away with it for short amount of times, other's have ended up with melted cables and/or fire.

Also, when are you checking what speed the pci-e slot is at? Because it can scale down to X8 when not under load such as the desktop. So you may want to verify by starting up a game in window mode and verify it if it is X8 or X16. edit: If you click the ? next to the bus interface speed in GPU-Z, it explains why, and gives you an option to put the card under load to verify it's speed (I never knew this till I just clicked the ? just now to see what it said. I can now go back to sleep as I learned something today )

I would also re-seat your CPU, many people who have such problems find out it's the CPU that is causing it, either by a bent pin, or just a bad alignment that is just enough to cause problems because the GPU relies Fully on the CPU lanes.

Last edited by NWR_Midnight : Dec 14, 2019 at 02:53 PM.
Old Dec 14, 2019, 03:52 PM   #217
lmchv
Planet Express

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWR_Midnight View Post
When you use only 1 cable with dual connectors, you are trying to pull 300 watts thru that one cable (each pci-e 8 pin connector is supposed to support 150 watts). It's not the power supply you need to worry about (well not yours as yours is all 1 rail, if you had one that had 2 rails, then you would also worry about power supply). Most cables are not designed to pull 300 watts thru them, and tend to cause resistance, not capable of feeding the full 300 watts to the GPU, which will cause them to get hot. Some people have gotten away with it for short amount of times, other's have ended up with melted cables and/or fire.

Also, when are you checking what speed the pci-e slot is at? Because it can scale down to X8 when not under load such as the desktop. So you may want to verify by starting up a game in window mode and verify it if it is X8 or X16. edit: If you click the ? next to the bus interface speed in GPU-Z, it explains why, and gives you an option to put the card under load to verify it's speed (I never knew this till I just clicked the ? just now to see what it said. I can now go back to sleep as I learned something today )

I would also re-seat your CPU, many people who have such problems find out it's the CPU that is causing it, either by a bent pin, or just a bad alignment that is just enough to cause problems because the GPU relies Fully on the CPU lanes.
Will to test the cable thing for sure, it's my first 8+8 card, I usually had 8+6 and connected them using a single cable, even when crossfiring my older cards.

I have tried GPUZ and was aware of the stress tool, it makes no difference:

The GPU has been reseated several times, I'm pretty sure it's properly installed.

Bloodzone.net Moderator
Old Dec 14, 2019, 05:40 PM   #218
NWR_Midnight
Radeon Volcanic Islands

Quote:
The GPU has been reseated several times, I'm pretty sure it's properly installed.
NO, not the GPU.. The CPU (the processor), remove it and re-seat it, as it controls the pci-e lanes for the GPU. My i7 920 would give me hassles if It wasn't seated perfect, or if I tightened the noctua D14 down unevenly.

You very well could have a bad card, I am just trying to give you things to try to verify 100% cuz I hate RMAing something only to find out it was something I missed in the end. I would even go as far as sticking the Vega VII in the X99 motherboard and see if it gets X16 or X8.

Last edited by NWR_Midnight : Dec 14, 2019 at 05:49 PM.
Old Dec 15, 2019, 03:38 AM   #219
Gandalfthewhite
Hardware Enthusiast

Gandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled with

Subscriber

x370 only has 20 lanes and most boards dont have a plex chip SO any pcie card added beyond a m.2 and gfx card will drop the gfx card to an 8x slot. I was using a 1x sound card for awhile and it dropped me to 8x on the gfx card. could be a similar issue.

HOURGLASS = most appropriate named ICON/CURSOR in the Windows world :-)

In a dank corner of ATI central, the carpet covered with corn flakes, the faint sound of clicking can be heard........Click......click, click............as the fate of the graphics world and the future of the human race hangs in the balance.

I know....I know........Keep my day job :-)- catcather
Gandalfthewhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2019, 07:19 AM   #220
Falck
Radeon R420

Falck is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalfthewhite View Post
x370 only has 20 lanes and most boards dont have a plex chip SO any pcie card added beyond a m.2 and gfx card will drop the gfx card to an 8x slot. I was using a 1x sound card for awhile and it dropped me to 8x on the gfx card. could be a similar issue.
No. Or, it depends on which slot you use of course.

Zen has 20 lanes, X370 has additional 8 lanes.
Falck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2019, 09:54 AM   #221
lmchv
Planet Express

Well, did some testing today:
  • The multiple PSU cables makes no difference, tested it in two computers with 1200W PSUs
  • The GTX1080 works at x16 on my X99 board, can't make it work on my Z390 board though
  • The Radeon VII works at x8 on the X99 board as well

From these test I have the following conclusions:
  • The Radeon VII is faulty or
  • ASUS has no love for new Radeon card on these specific boards, I have noticed the card is recognized as generic and doesn't display additional information in the BIOS like it does with the GTX

I don't want to try reseating the CPU, I need to make the GTX1080 to work again on the Z390 to see if it works at x16 somehow to eliminate that posibility, will probably try next week.

To bad I just gave away my old R9-290Xs, those were running at x16 on my X99 board

Bloodzone.net Moderator
Old Dec 15, 2019, 11:35 AM   #222
NWR_Midnight
Radeon Volcanic Islands

It is looking as though it is the Vega VII, but the x99 is 5 years old and it is entirely possible that it doesn't support the Vega VII.

You might want to throw an email to the Card's manufacture's support, as well as AMD, and Asus, see if they have any suggestions.

Old Dec 15, 2019, 12:30 PM   #223
Treeckcold57
Good ol' ATI

Treeckcold57 knows why the caged bird singsTreeckcold57 knows why the caged bird singsTreeckcold57 knows why the caged bird singsTreeckcold57 knows why the caged bird singsTreeckcold57 knows why the caged bird sings

I have a feeling your VII is not a faulty card, but your X99 might be...maybe UEFI GOP compatibility issue possibility? I don't know. You can try test on different mobos (if your friends has any custom built PC).

Also, check your Radeon VII bios if needed to update necessarily.

AMD Phenom II X2 555 @ stock clock
Xigamtek Knight cooler
ASUS M4A79XTD EVO
G.Skill 8GB DDR3 1333 (4x4GB)
Intel 530 240GB SSD
XFX ATI Radeon 4870 1GB
Antec Truepower 750W
NZXT Source 210
Windows 7 x64

AMD FX-8350 @ stock clock
Gigabyte GA-990FX-UD5 R5
G.Skill Sniper 16GB (8x2) DDR3 1866
Arctic Freezer 7 Pro 7 rev. 2
Gigabyte Windforce 7950 3GB Ghz Edition
Samsung 840 Pro 128GB SSD
EVGA SuperNova 650W
NZXT Source 210 w/ two Noctua F-12 fans
Ubuntu MATE 64-bit
Intel i5 3570K @ stock clock | G.Skill 16GB (8GBx2) DDR3 1866 | Silicon Power 60GB SSD | Win 10 Pro x64 | NZXT Source 210
Treeckcold57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2019, 12:59 PM   #224
lmchv
Planet Express

Will try contacting ASUS about this, I'm pretty sure they will ask me to RMA.

I also checked and I'm running the latest BIOS for the card.

Bloodzone.net Moderator
Old Dec 15, 2019, 07:17 PM   #225
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Trunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird sings

Subscriber

Although do you even need the extra bandwidth of 16x? Might not make any difference.

System:
Gigabyte Z87X D3H - Intel i5 4670k @ 4.2Ghz - CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Black RGB - 16Gb Kingston HyperX Black DDR3-1600 - Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD±RW - Samsung 850 Evo 250Gib - 4TiB Seagate - Asus Radeon R9 Fury STRIX - X-Fi Go! Pro(darkside lives on) - Windows 10 64-bit
Trunks0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2019, 10:05 AM   #226
lmchv
Planet Express

I don't think I need that bandwidth, performance is as good as it would get according to some benchmarks I have seen.

Bloodzone.net Moderator