Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Community and Site Discussions » Off Topic Lounge » Motoring
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Motoring Anything that goes vroooom! and makes the hairs on the back of your neck stand up, this is the place.

Old Aug 11, 2017, 09:16 PM   #151
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

While the heads are at the machine shop I figured I should start on the suspension. One quarter of the 5 lug swap is done... A little too much poke though.

Wide body is in the plans, but I'm honestly not even sure if these will clear the firewall, much less the fender.
Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2017, 10:09 PM   #152
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

OverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwards

Subscriber

That's a lot of poke!

Is there a bulge in that sidewall, or is the tire low on pressure and the image from the low side of the tire is merging with the top?
Old Aug 11, 2017, 10:22 PM   #153
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverclockN' View Post
That's a lot of poke!

Is there a bulge in that sidewall, or is the tire low on pressure and the image from the low side of the tire is merging with the top?
Low ture pressure is all, I noticed that too that wheel hasn't been on a car in years, I'm surprised it had that much pressure!
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Aug 11, 2017, 10:26 PM   #154
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

OverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwards

Subscriber

If you have any plans of a wicked road race or autocross machine, you could tuck in the top of that tire a bit with some negative camber. Maybe not THAT much, but it helps. I had the same problem with the 315's on the Z, and dialing in the camber to -2.2* sucked them in quite a bit.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 10:56 PM   #155
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
If you have any plans of a wicked road race or autocross machine, you could tuck in the top of that tire a bit with some negative camber. Maybe not THAT much, but it helps. I had the same problem with the 315's on the Z, and dialing in the camber to -2.2* sucked them in quite a bit.
I think that's a good idea. I'm going to start looking for wide body fenders. I like the aggressive stance.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 05:46 PM   #156
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Haven't welded since high school and it shows Started making my welding table today.

Only going to show one bead, since it's the only not completely awful one I got

Last edited by Elysian : Aug 12, 2017 at 05:59 PM.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 10:51 AM   #157
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Ordered the wrong cam, got flat tappet instead of roller, so submitted an exchange w/ Summit for this:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/c...22-8/overview/

Still pretty aggressive, unfortunately a bit more expensive too.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 06:15 PM   #158
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Heads are back. Gonna paint them. Going to drop the block off at the machine shop in 2 weeks for inspection/any necessary work.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 01:44 PM   #159
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Finished breaking down the 302, going to take it to the machine shop tomorrow. The block looks good, going to have them inspect it and clean it up. Most of the bearings were well worn, definitely wouldn't have been a good idea to run it like that. The rear crank bearing was completely copper even. The rod bearings weren't too bad, but definitely needed replacing. The crank didn't look like it was poorly worn, but I'll have them check it and decide what to do after that. If it's too worn to use I'll probably just start saving for a 347 stroker crank.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 04:44 PM   #160
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Going to pick up the block and crank after work. They cleaned everything, honed the cylinders (still stock bore), polished the crank (still stock bearings), and installed new cam bearings. Not bad for just over $300.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 06:33 PM   #161
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Block:

Crank:

They even put in new freeze plugs and painted the block. Really happy with the work they put into it. It did take them 6 business days where usually they turn work around in 1-2, but still.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 08:52 PM   #162
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

Looks good!
Old Sep 12, 2017, 09:07 PM   #163
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Ordered the stuff I need to get the bottom end together. I'm holding off on the top end till I can better afford the camshaft I want.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 03:45 PM   #164
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Sold a guitar so ordered the correct cam kit, and will be going to pick up a B&M shifter in a bit!
Old Sep 23, 2017, 07:32 PM   #165
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Here's the shifter, ratcheting B&M, got it for $160.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 09:15 PM   #166
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Picked up a Z3 2.7 lock to lock steering rack today. Will make the steering on the E30 much better, less like a school bus.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 11:42 AM   #167
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Reading this, I think I'll need to send my heads back to the machine shop to have the spring perches clearanced for the new dual springs. Also might need different spring retainers for the exhaust springs, but not 100% on that yet.

http://www.hotrod.com/articles/how-t...d-gt40p-heads/

Camshaft kit shipped today, and I ordered a 2600 stall converter. Hopefully that's all the stall I'll need, but we'll see. Glad the cam shipped already, will help to figure out what machining needs to be done to the spring perches so I can get the heads sorted quickly.

Last edited by Elysian : Sep 26, 2017 at 04:12 PM.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 09:55 PM   #168
Elysian
SCAATSJW

My "delivered" camshaft kit isn't here FedEx strikes again...
Old Oct 2, 2017, 08:27 AM   #169
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Camshaft kit showed up mysteriously this morning. Wasn't there when I got home last night, but leaving at 7am it was leaned up against my door... Must have been misdelivered, but lame they waited so long to drop it off.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 10:21 AM   #170
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Oh yes.

Need to find some time to start assembling the motor and modifying the oil pan.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 08:17 PM   #171
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Installed an intake and exhaust valve to see what I'd be looking at, if any work would need to be done to the head... Now I have more questions than answers
Old Oct 5, 2017, 12:19 PM   #172
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Ordered new exhaust valves to deal with the difference in installed spring height from the stock exhaust valves:

https://www.alexsparts.com/stainless...540-x-393-tip/
Old Nov 26, 2017, 08:23 PM   #173
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Started building the bottom end.

Cleaned up the pistons.

Plastigaged the crank, everything within spec. Installed the crank with plenty of lube.

Got most of the pistons in, ran into an issue with cylinder 7. Accidentally installed its cap on cylinder 2, didn't fit right, locked up the crank, realized my error (my 7 looked sort of like a 2), and got the right cap. I think that bent the #7 cap, it's noticeably not flat when compared to a straight edge... I'll see if my machine shop can fix it, if not I have to replace the entire rod, because they're matched up together...

So that's where it sits for now. I also need to have my machine shop machine the spring perches to fit the new dual springs. I'll probably get a quote for that while seeing if they can fix the rod.

edit: New connecting rod is only $30 shipped, so I just ordered a replacement...

Last edited by Elysian : Nov 26, 2017 at 08:38 PM.
Old Nov 26, 2017, 09:19 PM   #174
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

Wow, good luck with the repair. You're braver than I am. Only thing I haven't tackled yet is internal engine/diff/trans work.
Old Nov 26, 2017, 10:39 PM   #175
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
Wow, good luck with the repair. You're braver than I am. Only thing I haven't tackled yet is internal engine/diff/trans work.
I think the new connecting rod should take care of it. I'm pretty stoked to get this together.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 12:14 PM   #176
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Just watched a video on installing the wrist pin, seems really simple. I'll have the new connecting rod tomorrow, and the new bearings today, so I should be back in business soon.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 07:10 PM   #177
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Got a quote on the head work I need, $280 to convert to 3/8" studs/guides and to fit the Comp Cams springs. I'm figuring when I upgrade heads I can probably sell these on as a complete bolt on upgrade, as it stands right now they're still cheaper than going aftermarket heads. I'll go ahead and go with some 1.6 roller rockers.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 12:33 PM   #178
Treeckcold57
Good ol' ATI

Treeckcold57 knows why the caged bird singsTreeckcold57 knows why the caged bird singsTreeckcold57 knows why the caged bird singsTreeckcold57 knows why the caged bird singsTreeckcold57 knows why the caged bird sings

Wow. This really interests me. I'll keep eyeing on this as you update your BMW and 302 build on this a big thread.

I wished I know how to build.

AMD Phenom II X2 555 @ stock clock
Xigamtek Knight cooler
ASUS M4A79XTD EVO
G.Skill 8GB DDR3 1333 (4x4GB)
Intel 530 240GB SSD
XFX ATI Radeon 4870 1GB
Antec Truepower 750W
NZXT Source 210
Windows 7 x64

AMD FX-8350 @ stock clock
Gigabyte GA-990FX-UD5 R5
G.Skill Sniper 16GB (8x2) DDR3 1866
Arctic Freezer 7 Pro 7 rev. 2
Gigabyte Windforce 7950 3GB Ghz Edition
Samsung 840 Pro 128GB SSD
EVGA SuperNova 650W
NZXT Source 210 w/ two Noctua F-12 fans
Ubuntu MATE 64-bit
Intel i5 3570K @ stock clock | G.Skill 16GB (8GBx2) DDR3 1866 | Silicon Power 60GB SSD | Win 10 Pro x64 | NZXT Source 210
Treeckcold57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2017, 02:32 PM   #179
CurrentlyPissed
Mad, not drunk.

CurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled with

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treeckcold57 View Post
Wow. This really interests me. I'll keep eyeing on this as you update your BMW and 302 build on this a big thread.

I wished I know how to build.
Putting together a 302 is literaly like lego blocks.
Quote:
An arrow can only be shot by pulling it back. Remember when life is dragging you back, you are just moments away from springing forward.

So keep aiming.

-Interwebz
CurrentlyPissed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2017, 02:55 PM   #180
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurrentlyPissed View Post
Putting together a 302 is literaly like lego blocks.
I'd say any American V8 before 2000