Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Community and Site Discussions » Off Topic Lounge » Motoring
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Motoring Anything that goes vroooom! and makes the hairs on the back of your neck stand up, this is the place.

Old Apr 27, 2017, 09:06 PM   #121
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

M3 control arms and bushings are in!

Elysian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2017, 02:11 AM   #122
Exposed
ESB Sports Bookie

Exposed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Exposed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Exposed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Exposed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Exposed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Exposed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

I came in here looking for cracks and was disappoint.
But hey, let us not forget that while you bemoan about how Hollywood is bending over backwards for that market, you're also asking them to simultaneously consider the 'delicate' sensibilities of those state side who need to see a flag plastered all over the place like some Michael Bay movie barfed into another equally worse Michael Bay movie that then **** into the mouth of the team who designs the Call of Duty campaigns with all of their red, white and blue awesomeness with such an overly large boner for America that one does not need to actually 'fly' to the moon, they simply could tight rope on top if it. And if you're concerned about whether or not that penis is strong enough to be load bearing for such a journey, you forget that what fills all of those engorged crevices is freedom.
Exposed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2017, 10:01 AM   #123
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

At least there's a V8, right?
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old May 9, 2017, 10:43 AM   #124
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Yesterday I picked up the panels needed for plastic bumpers (on the front anyways), as well as the red passenger side fender I want. Going to have a red front bumper and a red fender now
Old May 13, 2017, 01:08 PM   #125
Elysian
SCAATSJW

So not liking the Borg Warner T5 pricing at all, don't consider it worth the asking price considering its many flaws (even in WC trim). Talking with Shadowless, I'm going to go with a 4R70W. Can find them all over for cheap, they can handle tons of power, and a shift kit makes them a hell of a transmission. My truck has the 4R75W, so I'm already a fan.
Old May 29, 2017, 09:17 PM   #126
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Picked up a 4R70W this weekend.

Need to order a shift kit.

Last edited by Elysian : May 30, 2017 at 10:12 AM.
Old Jul 14, 2017, 05:54 PM   #127
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Ready to get started relearning how to weld
Old Jul 14, 2017, 08:48 PM   #128
Roadhog
Sausages

Roadhog can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyRoadhog can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Think you need to remove it from the box first.
Roadhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2017, 01:05 PM   #129
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Picked up the front half of the driveshaft.

Old Jul 15, 2017, 05:10 PM   #130
Elysian
SCAATSJW

And the brake booster showed up. This is from a Geo Metro:

Much smaller than the stock one, should clear the 302.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 03:26 PM   #131
Elysian
SCAATSJW

I bought another E30

This one runs and drives though, it's the new swap candidate. It's an 88, has the plastic bumpers. This one is an auto with a 4.10 limited slip diff. Pics from the CL ad:

For $750, I couldn't pass it up. I'll part out the drivetrain when I'm ready, until then I'll drive it.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 03:34 PM   #132
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Mahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
For $750, I couldn't pass it up.
Yes... You could have....
Mahjik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2017, 03:37 PM   #133
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahjik View Post
Yes... You could have....
Nope.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 10:17 PM   #134
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Here's the car on the tow home.

It has a vacuum leak that I'm working through. I want to get it running, get it inspected and registered, and drive it for a while. I've never driven an E30, so I want to get a feel for the car. Here's one vacuum leak I found:

The nipple on the left side was disconnected. I've ordered a new intake manifold gasket, fuel injector gaskets, throttle body gasket, etc. Also need to check the brake booster, make sure it's not split or anything.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 10:07 AM   #135
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Found a nice custom exhaust for the M20 in the red E30 yesterday. Full exhaust, including header, X pipe, and Magnaflow muffler with nice looking tips for $100. The header needs a tiny bit of work as it deformed from heat cycling, but it's nothing I can't fix on my own. It's a nice enough system that I'll actually be able to use it for the V8 swap as well, just chop the headers off it.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 10:38 AM   #136
Elysian
SCAATSJW

I'm pretty close on the M20 in the new E30, it idles well now, but I think has fuel issues. I'm not really wanting to spend much more on it though, so I may just start working on prepping for the engine swap. It would be nice to drive that car first, but not totally necessary for my goals. I got some argon/CO2 yesterday (after a mix up last week where they gave me an oxygen tank and I didn't realize it until I got home), so I'm ready to start welding. First thing on the welding agenda is to build a welding table.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 10:49 AM   #137
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

OverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwards

Subscriber

What engine do you plan on swapping in again? Sorry, you're a busy guy and its a big thread.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 11:04 AM   #138
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverclockN' View Post
What engine do you plan on swapping in again? Sorry, you're a busy guy and its a big thread.
302 V8, already have it.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 11:08 AM   #139
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Here's a video of the M20 running.

It'll die if I press the pedal too quickly, but if I slowly rev it it'll rev up. That's why I'm thinking fuel pressure. I'll know tonight, the gauge is out for delivery. Sorry about the open manifolds, previous owner cut the exhaust off before the cat. There's also something wrong with the tach.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 11:18 AM   #140
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

OverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwards

Subscriber

Quote:
302 V8, already have it.
Awesome! A friend of mine recently lost the motor in his e39 540. We've been trying to convince him to do an LS swap, but failing miserably. He just bought another 540 to use for a possible parts car. Will be interesting to see what he does, but that 540 is looking like a surprisingly good buy. He'll likely get another 540 motor to get the original running again.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 11:26 AM   #141
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
Awesome! A friend of mine recently lost the motor in his e39 540. We've been trying to convince him to do an LS swap, but failing miserably. He just bought another 540 to use for a possible parts car. Will be interesting to see what he does, but that 540 is looking like a surprisingly good buy. He'll likely get another 540 motor to get the original running again.
He should be doing an LS, at that point it's a no brainer. If I were to do it again I'd have done an LS, and I haven't even put the motor in my car yet. I just don't want to undo what I've already bought, which is everything
Old Aug 8, 2017, 12:18 PM   #142
Elysian
SCAATSJW

I just bought this camshaft kit:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/c...54-4/overview/

Might go to waste on the current GT40P heads, but gotta plan for the future right? I'll have to figure out what else I'll need to get it working, but might as well start on the engine while I can.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 09:24 PM   #143
Elysian
SCAATSJW

If the link doesn't work you have to disable viglink, Summit Racing doesn't like it.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 11:37 PM   #144
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

Looks like an aggressive, big cam. Should be fun!!

I assume you're changing out the springs for the extra lift?
Old Aug 9, 2017, 08:57 AM   #145
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
Looks like an aggressive, big cam. Should be fun!!

I assume you're changing out the springs for the extra lift?
The Mountaineer springs are really weak, so I have to change them anyways, which is what drew me towards this cam kit. It pretty much does everything I want in my extended goals. Starting the top end teardown of the 302 tonight!
Old Aug 9, 2017, 10:11 PM   #146
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Got a lot done on the V8 today And filmed it. Going to put it up on Youtube after I get the cam in.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 09:53 AM   #147
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

Quote:
Got a lot done on the V8 today And filmed it. Going to put it up on Youtube after I get the cam in.

With a cam that big, it has to be the "chopping wood" sound. Depends on the overlap I guess, but it could be "making popcorn" too.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 12:14 PM   #148
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:

With a cam that big, it has to be the "chopping wood" sound. Depends on the overlap I guess, but it could be "making popcorn" too.
Yeah it'll be gnarly I'm going to do a video series on the build, and probably another on the blue BMW. Have no idea if people want to watch my fat ass work on my car, but I'm gonna do it anyways
Old Aug 10, 2017, 07:09 PM   #149
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Found both head gaskets were blown. Camshaft, rockers, valves, etc look great. Was smelling the smell of blown head gasket in the oil, so decided to pull the heads.

Cylinders still have cross-hatching in them, but I'm not sure what exactly I'm doing now. Going to have to get the heads and block inspected now I suppose.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 09:47 PM   #150
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Got the heads stripped down and ready to take to the machine shop tomorrow. Will have them checked for flatness.