Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Community and Site Discussions » Off Topic Lounge » Motoring
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Motoring Anything that goes vroooom! and makes the hairs on the back of your neck stand up, this is the place.

Old Dec 4, 2011, 04:52 PM   #91
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Och
ATI Champion

Och is still being judged by the masses

Did BMW reimburse you anything for the totaled 330?
Och is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2011, 04:58 PM   #92
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Och View Post
Did BMW reimburse you anything for the totaled 330?
No.
Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2011, 06:04 PM   #93
Och
ATI Champion

So then the class action suit led to nowhere?
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Dec 7, 2011, 02:03 AM   #94
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Urethane engine mounts, trans mounts and aluminum/urethane flex disc ordered. The flex disc allows me to use the E30's stock driveshaft with the E46 transmission, also reduces loss from the stock rubber flex disc.
Old Dec 8, 2011, 07:56 PM   #95
Elysian
SCAATSJW

New brake booster got in today
Old Dec 8, 2011, 10:23 PM   #96
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Just measured the original throttlebody I pulled from the E46 versus the throttlebody I'll be using for the swap (OEM is electronically controlled, the one I'm using is mechanical). The old TB was just a hair under 70mm, the one going in is just a hair over 65mm, so losing 4mm in the TB... Won't really adversely effect it for now but I may want to go with a larger bore TB when I go forced induction.
Old Dec 9, 2011, 11:58 PM   #97
nycdarkness
ಠ_ಠ

nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Just came across this thread. Very inspiring. I have a 2001 750IL that I have had in storage for a quite some time. I bought it to to clean it up some and make some minor modifications. I have always loved that car, so far it's been nothing but a repair bill lol (by no means a cheap one). Currently runs fine no problems might actually get around to get it into the beast I've always wanted.

nycdarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2011, 05:36 PM   #98
Elysian
SCAATSJW

My goodies pile continues to grow.
Old Dec 15, 2011, 11:33 PM   #99
Och
ATI Champion

Squeak squeak squeekidy squeak

You'll know what I mean.
Old Dec 16, 2011, 12:52 AM   #100
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Och View Post
Squeak squeak squeekidy squeak

You'll know what I mean.
You're thinking control arm bushings. I already run urethane engine, trans and rear subframe mounts in the E24, not a single squeek.
Old Dec 18, 2011, 04:15 PM   #101
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Started pulling more of the interior out, will help get to the brake booster. I'm going to be replacing my dash and building custom gauges and such. Need to pull the carpet and also need to figure out where water is getting into my car... I'm guessing the sunroof...
Old May 9, 2012, 03:22 PM   #102
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Since my budget is so shot I decided to look at my Megasquirt breakout box. I wasn't happy with wiring directly to the terminals so I picked up a piece of predrilled circuit board and attached it to the stock M54's DME plug:

I think this will be a lot more solid than how I was previously doing it. It's not pretty but it will work.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 03:07 PM   #103
Elysian
SCAATSJW

5 years later Car resides in my back yard for now. I just purchased the parts to swap in a Ford 302 V8, and a hydroboost brake booster setup from an E23 7 series. Now to find the engine/trans...
Old Apr 12, 2017, 11:32 PM   #104
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Got the motor/trans mount adapters in, as well as a CD with instructions/info
Old Apr 13, 2017, 09:30 AM   #105
MasterGoa
Life is not a task.

MasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English Channel

Have you checked the diff mount sheet metal? They are prone to cracking...
MasterGoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2017, 10:05 AM   #106
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterGoa View Post
Have you checked the diff mount sheet metal? They are prone to cracking...
Car is in great shape, I've been everywhere inside of it

I ordered front/rear subframe reinforcement this morning though, a V8 putting so much torque on an old tiny car is a recipe for trouble. Also started compiling my current list of wants.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 04:46 PM   #107
Elysian
SCAATSJW

I'm picking a 302 right now from the junkyard. Had a choice between a 97 with 183k or a 99 with the heads I don't want and unknown mileage... Going to take the 99. Engine is cleaner, other one had oil leak issues and who knows what else.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 06:23 PM   #108
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Got most everything disconnected, but ran out of time. Someone had the chains for the engine hoist, and didn't turn them in until a half hour before LKQ closed.

Last edited by Elysian : Apr 14, 2017 at 06:37 PM.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 02:41 PM   #109
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Just got the engine home. Hell of a day, worked way too hard in the sun, nearly got heat stroke I think. I'm leaving the engine in the truck bed overnight. I'll take it out tomorrow.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 10:24 AM   #110
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Started getting the 5 lug swap parts in order. I already have two right front hubs, so ordered a left. I've got a local junkyard that has the rear parts, just waiting to hear back on how much it will cost. Need to do the 5 lug swap so I can put some decent wheels on it, that way I can move it out of the back yard and the city and HOA won't be all over me.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 07:11 PM   #111
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Found a 318ti at a local junkyard, asked them to pull the left and right arms for me for my 5 lug swap. They gave me the whole rear end minus different and axles.

Old Apr 21, 2017, 02:31 PM   #112
Elysian
SCAATSJW

E36 front control arms ordered.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 11:46 AM   #113
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Going to go check out an E36 M3 being parted out after work, probably going to take the steering rack, springs, rear diff, brakes, and maybe other stuff, just need to figure out what.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 08:23 PM   #114
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Got what I feel is a great deal today. 60k 99 M3 rear diff, the front rotors/hubs/calipers/springs/struts, all for $600. I needed a dual ear diff cover and a limited slip anyways, so I'll be combining the M3 parts with the 3.46 open diff I've got in the garage. I've not done differential work before, so I've got a lot of studying up to do before I attempt it. So tomorrow I'll have the last parts I need for the 5 lug swap, that being the two control arms and offset bushings. I love that I'm finally able to buy all the parts I've needed for years.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 12:15 AM   #115
Quickstrike
Verification Required.

Quickstrike once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Quickstrike once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Quickstrike once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Quickstrike once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Quickstrike once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Quickstrike once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
I'll be combining the M3 parts with the 3.46 open diff I've got in the garage. I've not done differential work before, so I've got a lot of studying up to do before I attempt it. So tomorrow I'll have the last parts I need for the 5 lug swap, that being the two control arms and offset bushings. I love that I'm finally able to buy all the parts I've needed for years.
Is something wrong with the stock 3.23 M3 Diff? Or you just want the superior powerband that comes with the shorter 3.46 gears?

Seems like a good compromise in performance, but worth the hassle? I guess if you are a good mechanic. I have a 3.38 LSD in my 328is [from an automatic M3]. Just a tad better performance than the more common 3.23 LSD.

Main PC : Intel Core i7 2600K, Noctua NH-D14, ASUS P8P67 Pro, 16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws X 1866-DDR3, Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 Boost, Sound Blaster Zx, Klipsch 5.1 Ultras, Samsung 256GB 840 Pro SSD, 8TB Seagate Archive, 6TB WD Black, 4TB HGST, 3.0TB Seagate x 2, 1.5TB Seagate x 2, Corsair AX850W PSU, Cooler Master HAF 932, 21" NEC [email protected]

HTPC : Intel Core i5 3570K, CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Evo, Asus Maximus V Gene, 8GB G.SKILL Ripjaws X 1600-DDR3, ASUS 5850 Direct CU, Crucial M4 256GB SSD, Silverstone Strider Gold Evolution 750W, Silverstone SG09B.

Virtual Server : Intel Core2Quad Q6600, Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme, Gigabyte P35-DS3R, 16GB OCZ DDR2, eVGA 8800GTX, 74GB Raptor, 500GB Seagate x 4, Intel Ethernet port x 4, Silverstone TJ06.
Quickstrike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2017, 07:01 AM   #116
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickstrike View Post
Is something wrong with the stock 3.23 M3 Diff? Or you just want the superior powerband that comes with the shorter 3.46 gears?

Seems like a good compromise in performance, but worth the hassle? I guess if you are a good mechanic. I have a 3.38 LSD in my 328is [from an automatic M3]. Just a tad better performance than the more common 3.23 LSD.
I need a limited slip, and the M3 differential won't physically fit in the E30 subframe. Nothing is wrong with either, the M3 differential just fits into my plans. I'm not going to change the gearing on the limited slip, just the housing around it.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 08:55 AM   #117
Quickstrike
Verification Required.

Quickstrike once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Quickstrike once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Quickstrike once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Quickstrike once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Quickstrike once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Quickstrike once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
I need a limited slip, and the M3 differential won't physically fit in the E30 subframe. Nothing is wrong with either, the M3 differential just fits into my plans. I'm not going to change the gearing on the limited slip, just the housing around it.
Ahh ****. Forgot you had an E30.. obviously thought it was an E36.
Makes sense.

Main PC : Intel Core i7 2600K, Noctua NH-D14, ASUS P8P67 Pro, 16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws X 1866-DDR3, Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 Boost, Sound Blaster Zx, Klipsch 5.1 Ultras, Samsung 256GB 840 Pro SSD, 8TB Seagate Archive, 6TB WD Black, 4TB HGST, 3.0TB Seagate x 2, 1.5TB Seagate x 2, Corsair AX850W PSU, Cooler Master HAF 932, 21" NEC [email protected]

HTPC : Intel Core i5 3570K, CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Evo, Asus Maximus V Gene, 8GB G.SKILL Ripjaws X 1600-DDR3, ASUS 5850 Direct CU, Crucial M4 256GB SSD, Silverstone Strider Gold Evolution 750W, Silverstone SG09B.

Virtual Server : Intel Core2Quad Q6600, Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme, Gigabyte P35-DS3R, 16GB OCZ DDR2, eVGA 8800GTX, 74GB Raptor, 500GB Seagate x 4, Intel Ethernet port x 4, Silverstone TJ06.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 10:08 AM   #118
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Also, I'll be honest I'm not sure the gear ratio on the diff right now I have no idea if it came out of a manual or auto, only know it came out of a 99. I'll check it when I get home today, just put some tape on there and see how many turns it takes to turn the axle once.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 10:31 AM   #119
Quickstrike
Verification Required.

Quote:
Also, I'll be honest I'm not sure the gear ratio on the diff right now I have no idea if it came out of a manual or auto, only know it came out of a 99.
Can you call the place or person you bought it from? That is one thing that most people would notice when parting out a car, if it has manual tranny or auto.

Old Apr 27, 2017, 11:11 AM   #120
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickstrike View Post
Can you call the place or person you bought it from? That is one thing that most people would notice when parting out a car, if it has manual tranny or auto.
I'd rather just check it, it's no more trouble than making a call.