Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Community and Site Discussions » Off Topic Lounge » Motoring
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Motoring Anything that goes vroooom! and makes the hairs on the back of your neck stand up, this is the place.

Old Aug 21, 2010, 09:37 PM   #61
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
gamefoo21
Rage Furry X

gamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badges

I don't mean to be a dink, but can't you get a tubular SS manifold with the correct orientation? Are you going for just straight up off the shelf parts or are you willing to get one custom with proper length tubing and the flange at the right angle.

Tubular manifolds are just so nice compared to cast ones, and they look even better after a good ceramic coating.

Heatware
gamefoo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2010, 09:39 PM   #62
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamefoo21 View Post
I don't mean to be a dink, but can't you get a tubular SS manifold with the correct orientation? Are you going for just straight up off the shelf parts or are you willing to get one custom with proper length tubing and the flange at the right angle.

Tubular manifolds are just so nice compared to cast ones, and they look even better after a good ceramic coating.
The problem with the manifold I was going to use, and most manifolds like it is the welds at the bends, they're usually ground down and polished, causing weak points, which tend to crack. A cast manifold has a few benefits, one being it's cheaper than one of those manifolds without the welds ground down, the other being it won't crack, and yet another being it's just plain cheaper. Looks don't matter, you won't be seeing it anyways, BMW engines have a 60 degree slant, you're not going to see much of the manifold under the head. Can barely see the stock manifolds as it is.
Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2010, 09:44 PM   #63
gamefoo21
Rage Furry X

gamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
The problem with the manifold I was going to use, and most manifolds like it is the welds at the bends, they're usually ground down and polished, causing weak points, which tend to crack. A cast manifold has a few benefits, one being it's cheaper than one of those manifolds without the welds ground down, the other being it won't crack, and yet another being it's just plain cheaper. Looks don't matter, you won't be seeing it anyways, BMW engines have a 60 degree slant, you're not going to see much of the manifold under the head. Can barely see the stock manifolds as it is.
Bah, then get a custom one, the shop I know and deal with in Quebec doesn't grind the welds for a pretty appearance.

Yeah, cast manifolds can be stronger and are usually cheaper, but they tend to be a trade off in terms of performance, a fairly noticable one too.

Heatware
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Aug 21, 2010, 09:52 PM   #64
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Bah, then get a custom one, the shop I know and deal with in Quebec doesn't grind the welds for a pretty appearance.

Yeah, cast manifolds can be stronger and are usually cheaper, but they tend to be a trade off in terms of performance, a fairly noticable one too.
Custom manifold for 1500+(for all the R&D/mockup, lots of labor involved) or a $500 cast manifold? I'll be running a big enough turbo that I'll have enough headroom to hit the #'s I want at the wheel and still not be maxxing out the turbo, so if a cast manifold means I need to run a couple psi more boost, then that's not an issue. It also really depends on how well the cast iron manifold is designed, not all manifolds are created equal, and a manifold being custom made won't guarantee it'll flow better.
Old Aug 21, 2010, 10:05 PM   #65
Elysian
SCAATSJW

See, this would be similar to the manifold I'd run, I see nothing wrong with that setup, and it actually looks like it can have an external wastegate as well. That specific manifold would run me $529, I'd say that's a good value for the money.

Last edited by Elysian : Aug 21, 2010 at 10:08 PM.
Old Aug 22, 2010, 01:05 AM   #66
gamefoo21
Rage Furry X

This is I think their most expensive manifold, it's only $900. I can see the definate cost savings of running with a cast one though.

Oh and here's the stock A4 manifold...

Just be wary, the cast ones can crack.

Oh they do make ones for I6 engines as well... 7MGTE manifold: $760

Linkie: http://turbinetech.ca/produit_detail...ab4663&lang=AN

I'd contact them and see what they can do for you. Doesn't hurt to ask atleast.

Heatware

Last edited by gamefoo21 : Aug 22, 2010 at 01:10 AM.
Old Aug 22, 2010, 07:11 AM   #67
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:

This is I think their most expensive manifold, it's only $900. I can see the definate cost savings of running with a cast one though.

Oh and here's the stock A4 manifold...

Just be wary, the cast ones can crack.

Oh they do make ones for I6 engines as well... 7MGTE manifold: $760

Linkie: http://turbinetech.ca/produit_detail...ab4663&lang=AN

I'd contact them and see what they can do for you. Doesn't hurt to ask atleast.
Those are manifolds they already have the jigs for though, they don't make anything for BMW's, meaning they'd have to do the R&D, and they'd need a car on hand to do that, it'd get pretty costly in the end... Trust me, I'd love to go custom manifold, but the price-to-performance ratio just isn't there. I'll keep looking though, there might be a manifold out there I haven't seen yet.
Old Aug 22, 2010, 08:21 AM   #68
squid
Cute

squid knows why the caged bird singssquid knows why the caged bird singssquid knows why the caged bird singssquid knows why the caged bird singssquid knows why the caged bird sings

it's not really worth going for a fancy manifold unless you are running a really big turbo that can't fit in the space other manifolds would put it, or you are using a twin scroll turbo, or need an external gate, etc.
squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2010, 08:55 AM   #69
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by squid View Post
it's not really worth going for a fancy manifold unless you are running a really big turbo that can't fit in the space other manifolds would put it, or you are using a twin scroll turbo, or need an external gate, etc.
Yeah, my goal is around 400hp at the wheels, and the turbo ill be using will easily facilitate that.
Old Aug 22, 2010, 09:55 AM   #70
Elysian
SCAATSJW

http://store.vacmotorsports.com/vac-...s52-p2136.aspx

Will be installing this baffle kit into my oil pan, should be helpful. Also found a stronger oil pump for the build.
Old Aug 22, 2010, 01:41 PM   #71
moshpit
Resident Mac Hater

moshpit once held a door open for a complete strangermoshpit once held a door open for a complete strangermoshpit once held a door open for a complete strangermoshpit once held a door open for a complete stranger

Subscriber

Quote:
http://store.vacmotorsports.com/vac-...s52-p2136.aspx

Will be installing this baffle kit into my oil pan, should be helpful. Also found a stronger oil pump for the build.
Just not feeling the stronger oil pump, man...

Just giving ya grief, don't mind me
Old Aug 22, 2010, 02:02 PM   #72
gamefoo21
Rage Furry X

These guys:

http://www.crank-scrapers.com/

Awesome guys to deal with, actually mailed me some stickers after I lost the ones they supplied with the scraper I got. They do even do the M52...

http://www.crank-scrapers.com/bmw.html

Quote:
Chuck Taylor, racer and owner of Factory 3 Performance writes:

This is what I know about crank scrapers:

Don't install an oil pressure gauge if you aren't planning to also install a crank scraper.

The factory oil pressure warning light is set to come on at around 7-8psi. Your warning light probably never illuminates while driving.

Once I installed an oil pressure gauge, I found that in the fast left hand corners (like T3 at Roebling) the car was dropping from 50PSI to around 16. Not good. Especially at 5000+ RPM. Even running a quart over full didn't help. Talk about too much information!

We installed one of the crank scrapers over the winter, and now the car holds full pressure everywhere on track.
Yeah, it's $60, and I probably seem like a walking advert but meh, these things do what they say they do, and it gets you lower oil temps and more power. So... Win/Win and cheap too!

Heatware

Last edited by gamefoo21 : Aug 22, 2010 at 02:04 PM.
Old Aug 22, 2010, 04:18 PM   #73
Elysian
SCAATSJW

M52 won't do me any good, my engine is an M54.....
Old Aug 22, 2010, 05:34 PM   #74
gamefoo21
Rage Furry X

Quote:
M52 won't do me any good, my engine is an M54.....

Quote:
We will try to keep this list updated but if you do not see your engine listed here please ask! We can do custom stroker or knife-edge crank designs. We can provide plastic templates for initial fitting and adjustment.

Heatware
Old Aug 22, 2010, 05:52 PM   #75
Cowzrul
Dazed and Confused

Cowzrul kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshCowzrul kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshCowzrul kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshCowzrul kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshCowzrul kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshCowzrul kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshCowzrul kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshCowzrul kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshCowzrul kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Never heard of a crank scraper before, I learned something today.

The concept certainly makes sense to me.
Cowzrul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2010, 06:51 PM   #76
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:

It'd be tough to adapt to the M54 for another reason, the M54 has individual bracing for each bolt for the crank bearings, each bolt anchors to two points on the side of the engine, it's a virtual fortress down there of supports.
Old Aug 22, 2010, 06:56 PM   #77
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

caveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowzrul View Post

yeah, I just went WTF? Highlight - Right click - Google
caveman-jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2010, 08:35 PM   #78
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Did some more research on the M54, and the M54 doesn't even need that crank scraper, check this out:

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e2...65-Resized.jpg

And here's the support brackets I was referencing:

Old Aug 22, 2010, 08:42 PM   #79
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Another thing that makes this engine ideal for my plans:

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e2...54Build-97.jpg
Oil squirters for the underside of each pistons, makes for a very well lubricated and properly cooled piston.
Old Aug 23, 2010, 04:26 PM   #80
gamefoo21
Rage Furry X

Just saying... Worst that happens, they need you or your mechanic to make a paper dummy copy, then to test fit a plastic draft copy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowzrul View Post

Yeah, I'd never heard of it before either, but then I did some reading and saw some actual dyno sheets showing it even makes a difference on the dyno.

Heatware

Last edited by gamefoo21 : Aug 23, 2010 at 04:29 PM.
Old Aug 23, 2010, 04:32 PM   #81
moshpit
Resident Mac Hater

moshpit once held a door open for a complete strangermoshpit once held a door open for a complete strangermoshpit once held a door open for a complete strangermoshpit once held a door open for a complete stranger

Subscriber

Hey Ely, question for you. Your target is 400hp at the wheel, and what is the vehicle expected total weight? Also targeted torq?
Old Aug 23, 2010, 07:27 PM   #82
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by moshpit View Post
Hey Ely, question for you. Your target is 400hp at the wheel, and what is the vehicle expected total weight? Also targeted torq?
2000lb is target, torque will likely be around the same as hp.
Old Aug 25, 2010, 08:12 AM   #83
cmar
Radeon Sea Islands

cmar is still being judged by the masses

Why would you bother with a scraper if you already have a full windage tray?
Old Aug 25, 2010, 08:30 AM   #84
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmar View Post
I'm trying to wrap my head around that myself... I'm assuming the cranker is made so that it's close enough to the crank that it'll catch some of the oil, but I'm also assuming the crank isn't going to be completely coated in oil head to toe, so it's really hard for me to understand what benefit's it's going to have...
Old Aug 25, 2010, 08:43 AM   #85
squid
Cute

squid knows why the caged bird singssquid knows why the caged bird singssquid knows why the caged bird singssquid knows why the caged bird singssquid knows why the caged bird sings

it's just to keep the oil in the pan rather than sloshing all over the cranks and frothing up. definitely good to have something there, but what's there standard seems fine.
Old Aug 25, 2010, 12:45 PM   #86
gamefoo21
Rage Furry X

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmar View Post
Windage trays help, but like many OEM things they are a compromise. The scraper actually sticks itself out into the crank swing area to effectively shave the cloud of oil that builds around the crank.

That tray is to limit oil fly back/up to limit the amount that can build up around the crank. The problem with this design is, that when adding dedicated piston squirters it does nothing with that new constant supply. The scraper then really presents it's benefits as it redirects most of that new oil down into the pan.

It's not difficult to grasp...

Heatware
Old Aug 31, 2010, 01:23 AM   #87
Elysian
SCAATSJW

I may be picking up another E30 as a daily. Going to look at an 85 325i on Wednesday. It's cheap, but supposedly in great shape(and looks great from the 1 pic), the reason it's cheap is because it's stuck in 5th gear, meaning trans would need to be changed. This is no problem for me, as I've got a spare trans already that will swap right in.
Old Aug 31, 2010, 03:36 AM   #88
squid
Cute

just don't turn into a E30-is-best-car-ever-and-everything-else-sucks fanboy, like a certain banned member
Old Aug 31, 2010, 09:57 PM   #89
Elysian
SCAATSJW

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1518764

Going to check this out tomorrow afternoon, its the type of car you just don't pass up for the price.
Old Dec 4, 2011, 04:29 PM   #90
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Thread-necro.

Purchased the brake booster I'll need for the engine swap (have to use one from an AWD 325iX since it's smaller diameter but same volume). Need to figure out which engine mounts I'll need (whether I need E30 mounts or E46) and then I'll purchase those and trans mounts, urethane of course.