Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Community and Site Discussions » Off Topic Lounge » Home Theaters and Photography
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Home Theaters and Photography Discussion forum for Home Theater enthusiasts and newbies. Also the place to discuss and post your photography ventures and queries.

Old Oct 20, 2007, 11:35 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
brc64
Zeekyboogydoog!

brc64 is still being judged by the masses

Default help with ps3 surround sound setup

Here's my current setup:

PS3 -> HDMI -> TV -> Optical -> Receiver

Using this setup, I get Dolby Digital surround in games, but not when playing movies. I'm not entirely sure why. I'm looking for any suggestions on what to do or alternate configurations. I'm a bit limited by my hardware:

Receiver: No HDMI inputs, 2 optical inputs, 1 digital coax input
TV: 1 HDMI input, 2 component inputs, 1 VGA input, 1 optical output
Xbox 360: VGA output to TV, optical to receiver
HD DVR: Component and stereo audio output to TV (audio to receiver via optical out on TV)
Wii: Component and stereo audio output to TV (audio to receiver via optical out on TV)
PS3: HDMI to TV (audio to receiver via optical out on TV, *should* carry DD/DTS from HDMI)

Previously, I had the HDMI going from the DVR, and surround sound worked fine on the HD channels that had it. And as I said, I do get surround sound with this setup in games, but not when playing movies (despite having the proper audio track selected) Any suggestions for me?

I was considering possibly getting an optical splitter or switch, but I don't know how well those work. I'd like to make this work with as little cost as possible (which means I'm going to ignore suggestions like "get a better receiver"). Any help would be much appreciated.
brc64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2007, 01:39 PM   #2
Unicron
Radeon Evergreen

Unicron is still being judged by the masses

I didn't even know you can have TV's with optical out.

I can think of a few things though ...

You're carrying audio out from the PS3 via HDMI to the TV, so you'd want to make sure its set to output bitstream not PCM.

There's seperate setting for movies under Settings --> BD/DVD settings in the XMB. Make sure HDMI is set to Bitstream not Linear PCM.

Might want to check if there's any setting on the TV preventing it from passing sound correctly to the receiver.

Might want to confirm if HDMI out on the PS3 is set to allow output of all valid formats (DD and DTS 5.1 especially).

But I think the problem is you want to be outputting the bitstream through the whole connection chain not PCM.
Unicron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2007, 09:06 PM   #3
brc64
Zeekyboogydoog!

I tried switching to bitstream while the movie was playing, but it didn't seem to have any effect. I'll try changing the setting in the XMB first and then loading up a movie and see what happens. The TV passed Dolby Digital to the receiver fine when I had the DVR hooked up via HDMI, so I'm sure the problem isn't with the TV (or at least, not solely with it).
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Oct 22, 2007, 01:37 AM   #4
painkiller
Radeon Northern Islands

painkiller is still being judged by the masses

You could always run the optical directly from PS3 to your reciever. That should give you AC3 and DTS output. Be sure to setup your audio correctly from the dashboard.
Old Oct 22, 2007, 08:01 AM   #5
Unicron
Radeon Evergreen

Unicron is still being judged by the masses

Here's a question .. you say you don't get multi-channel sound during movie playback.

Play a DVD/BR movie on the PS3 and pull up the display (select or display on the bluetooth remote) what audio format is it displaying ?
Unicron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2007, 08:50 AM   #6
brc64
Zeekyboogydoog!

Quote:
Originally Posted by painkiller View Post
You could always run the optical directly from PS3 to your reciever. That should give you AC3 and DTS output. Be sure to setup your audio correctly from the dashboard.
Hmm... I guess I could try that, taking the optical cable from the TV output. Of course, then I'd have to run stereo RCA cables from TV out to another input on the receiver to get audio from my other devices. But that should be doable, I think.

Xbox 360: VGA out to TV, optical out to receiver
PS3: HDMI out to TV, optical out to receiver
DVR: Component + stereo out to TV
Wii: Component + stereo out to TV
TV: Stereo out to receiver

That should work, right? I mean, I lose Dolby Digital on HD channels, but then with my current setup I'd lost that anyway. If only the DVR used digital coax. Ah well. I guess this setup should also fix the audio glitch I get when using optical out from the TV via HDMI (audio randomly cuts out for about a second).

I'll give that a shot when I get home.
Old Oct 23, 2007, 11:25 AM   #7
brc64
Zeekyboogydoog!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brc64 View Post
If only the DVR used digital coax.
You know what. My Motorola DVR actually does have digital coax. I have no idea why I never tried this before! I did have to do some unusual setup on my Yamaha receiver in order to make everything work, though.

By default, it seems the receiver just sort of groups all of the digital inputs together, and pipes the audio based on some sort of priority (digital coax has the highest priority, so when I plugged in the DVR that was the only audio I was getting). I was able to go into some setup menus and configure the different inputs and even rename them, which I never realized I could do.

So now I've got Xbox 360, PS3 and DVR all with surround sound support, and a separate input from my TV for any other devices I chose to plug in (currently just the Wii). Awesome! Many thanks to painkiller for what should have been an obvious solution to begin with. I don't know why I was complicating things so much.