Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Graphics Technology Forums » AMD Radeon Discussion and Support
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

AMD Radeon Discussion and Support General discussion, tweaking, overclocking and technical support questions about discrete Radeon graphics products.

Old Mar 4, 2012, 11:00 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

caveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badges

AMD AMD Radeon HD 7870/7850 Preview thread

AMD lifted NDA on the AMD Radeon HD 7800 series at 3/5/12 00:01EST in preparation for card availability on March 19th.

Post review links, thoughts etc. here!

Rage3D
PCPerspective
Kitguru
techreport
hexus
anandtech
tweaktown 7870 - tweaktown 7850
techpowerup

Last edited by caveman-jim : Mar 4, 2012 at 11:11 PM.
caveman-jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2012, 11:07 PM   #2
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

caveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Old Mar 4, 2012, 11:35 PM   #3
Omega53
Rage veteran

Omega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

We all know PowerVR makes the best cards
Omega53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Mar 4, 2012, 11:52 PM   #4
Lupine
Administrator

Lupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

Lupine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2012, 12:01 AM   #5
KAC
:rolleyes:

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

lol buy a card that is almost a year+ after 6970 for slightly lower price as last year and slightly lower/same performance. Because in a year we haven't moved at all.

AMD, we don't want to change status quo...
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2012, 12:03 AM   #6
demo
space cadet

demo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

I actually dont mind it, sure its a little overpriced like the rest of 7 series so far, but the card itself looks good to me. Shame it only has 1 CFX connector.

And what is a 670SC in R3D review?
Old Mar 5, 2012, 12:07 AM   #7
Lupine
Administrator

Lupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

Quote:
Originally Posted by demo View Post
I actually dont mind it, sure its a little overpriced like the rest of 7 series so far, but the card itself looks good to me. Shame it only has 1 CFX connector.

If you see a typo, it's helpful to point out page etc.
Lupine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2012, 12:07 AM   #8
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

bill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:

yes a little faster than the 6970 for 100+ watts less
if it would do 3 way cf it would beat two 7970
and price will drop to 299 maybe

i'm obsolete

and nice review jim

Last edited by bill dennison : Mar 5, 2012 at 12:13 AM.
bill dennison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2012, 12:43 AM   #9
demo
space cadet

demo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupine View Post
If you see a typo, it's helpful to point out page etc.

All of the game benches have 670SC instead of 570SC, unless of course you guys have the first kepler benches on the net
Old Mar 5, 2012, 12:46 AM   #10
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

Son of a....
Old Mar 5, 2012, 01:03 AM   #11
shadow001
Captain thread derail....

shadow001 once held a door open for a complete strangershadow001 once held a door open for a complete strangershadow001 once held a door open for a complete strangershadow001 once held a door open for a complete stranger

I only read the anandtech review so far and it's pretty impressive overall, not just because it's between a GTX570 and GTX580 most of the time in performance, but also faster than the HD6970 while using less shaders, less texture units and less memory bandwith than the HD6970 and a lot less than the GTX580, so the GCN architecture is definitely even more efficient overall given the performance delivered.

Add the overclocks they hit on the Ghz edition, so that's another plus...If the GK104 is around GTX580 performance, then i wouldn't know wich one to recommend really, as it would be a really close fight between both cards, and i mean counting the Fps differences on the fingers of one hand close, so it would come down to price above all else.....
shadow001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2012, 01:57 AM   #12
KAC

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

More reviews I read, more disappointing these cards become. No reason for a guy with 6970 to upgrade this year to a card of similar price point.
This implies that for past 2 years $350 price point hasn't moved a needle. Whoop-di-****ing-doo...
Old Mar 5, 2012, 02:00 AM   #13
Qb2k5
Alienware Certified

Qb2k5 is still being judged by the masses

The 7870 is a niiiice card imo. It runs about 10c cooler than the 580. It uses less wattage (175 vs 250) and its also $150 cheaper. In anandatech's OCCT noise test its almost 10dB quieter than the 580. Even overclocked its about 4-5dB lower. With a mild oc without touching voltages it could beat the 580 at 2560x1600 and trail the 7950 by an avg of 3-6fps. But it all depends on the game. For hardcore Oc'ers (who use water and like to raise voltages) I have no doubt in my mind it could possibly beat a stock 7970.

The 7850 on the other hand is sort of gimped due to its lower core clock speeds. With a mild oc without touching voltages it should be able to catch up to the 580 but probably trail by a few fps. Not bad at $250 which is nearly half the price of the 580.
Qb2k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2012, 02:21 AM   #14
demo
space cadet

For dual CFX, I'd have a hard time justifying either 580 or 7950 over 7870 for the money. Yeh yeh, features, Iq and all that, but if you want to play games at default settings its a killer combo in CFX, I'm looking foward to 7890/7930 personally, if the rumors are correct.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 02:47 AM   #15
KAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qb2k5 View Post
The 7870 is a niiiice card imo. It runs about 10c cooler than the 580. It uses less wattage (175 vs 250) and its also $150 cheaper. In anandatech's OCCT noise test its almost 10dB quieter than the 580. Even overclocked its about 4-5dB lower. With a mild oc without touching voltages it could beat the 580 at 2560x1600 and trail the 7950 by an avg of 3-6fps. But it all depends on the game. For hardcore Oc'ers (who use water and like to raise voltages) I have no doubt in my mind it could possibly beat a stock 7970.

The 7850 on the other hand is sort of gimped due to its lower core clock speeds. With a mild oc without touching voltages it should be able to catch up to the 580 but probably trail by a few fps. Not bad at $250 which is nearly half the price of the 580.
7870 is not comparable to a 580...
Old Mar 5, 2012, 03:30 AM   #16
Qb2k5
Alienware Certified

Qb2k5 is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssCop View Post
Yes it is.. Read Anantech.

All benchmarks were max settings at 2560x1600.

Crysis Warhead Avg/Min
580: 26/18fps 7870: 25/19fps

Metro 2033
580: 27.5fps 7870: 28fps

Dirt 3 Avg/Min
580: 66/57.5fps 7870: 65/56fps

Shogun
580: 21.8fps 7870: 19.1 fps

Portal 2
580: 109fps 7870: 102fps

Skyrim
580: 64fps 7870: 64fps

Civ5
580: 50.3fps 7870: 47.8fps

Batman AC
580: 44fps OCed 7870: 42fps

BF3
580: 44fps OCed 7870: 45.4fps

So Im not understanding how you say the 7870 isn't comparable to the 580. It matches the 580 except in two benchmarks which is BatmanAC and BF3. With a slight OC it can keep up with the 580.
Qb2k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2012, 03:41 AM   #17
KAC

Hmm, interesting. I have been looking at 1080p and didn't find it comparable to a 580... let me read some more reviews then I guess.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 04:34 AM   #18
tehpikachu
Radeon R420

tehpikachu is still being judged by the masses

Reading about it, pretty good if you ask me.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 05:59 AM   #19
sandorski
Radeon Volcanic Islands

sandorski is still being judged by the masses

The most legit beef with all the GCN Cards has been Price. Second would be the lack of stellar Performance improvements, although this has been an issue for the last couple gens now.
sandorski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2012, 06:53 AM   #20
demo
space cadet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qb2k5 View Post
Yes it is

So Im not understanding how you say the 7870 isn't comparable to the 580. It matches the 580 except in two benchmarks which is BatmanAC and BF3. With a slight OC it can keep up with the 580.
It's ok.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/A...D_7870/26.html
Old Mar 5, 2012, 07:20 AM   #21
jam2k

jam2k is still being judged by the masses

Computerbase

1920x1080 8xAA:

7870 61% faster than 6870
7870 17% faster then GTX570
7870 %1 faster than GTX580

2560x1600 4xAA:

7870 20% faster than GTX570
7870 as fast as GTX 580

Just, wow ...

Last edited by jam2k : Mar 5, 2012 at 08:00 AM.
jam2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2012, 07:27 AM   #22
SteveButabi
Did you just grab my ass?

SteveButabi is still being judged by the masses

The 7870 is a nice card. Either neck and neck or a little slower than the 580 depending on the game and resolution you're using. I like it. Now to see what Nvidia will offer in the same price range. The 660ti is around what I was planning on going for, but this card might change that.

Last edited by SteveButabi : Mar 5, 2012 at 07:29 AM.
SteveButabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2012, 07:34 AM   #23
demo
space cadet

Not quite, TPU did a good job.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 07:36 AM   #24
SteveButabi

Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssCop View Post
What reviews are you looking at?

I see the 7870 anywhere from a little bit slower to a little bit faster than the 580 depending on the game and res they're using. Go look at anandtech and techpowerup.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 07:52 AM   #25
demo
space cadet

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveButabi
Go look at anandtech and techpowerup.
TPU says 5% slower than 580 at 1600p and 7% slower at 1080p, which is pretty good. Anandtech says 9% faster than 570, which is pretty good too..
Old Mar 5, 2012, 07:59 AM   #26
jam2k

jam2k is still being judged by the masses

Last edited by jam2k : Mar 5, 2012 at 08:04 AM.
jam2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2012, 08:00 AM   #27
Higgy10
Radeon Arctic Islands

Higgy10 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHiggy10 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHiggy10 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHiggy10 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHiggy10 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHiggy10 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHiggy10 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHiggy10 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHiggy10 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHiggy10 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHiggy10 can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Quote:
For dual CFX, I'd have a hard time justifying either 580 or 7950 over 7870 for the money. Yeh yeh, features, Iq and all that, but if you want to play games at default settings its a killer combo in CFX, I'm looking foward to 7890/7930 personally, if the rumors are correct.
I agree, the 7870 looks like it be a nice value cfx setup
Higgy10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2012, 08:05 AM   #28
SteveButabi

Quote:
TPU says 5% slower than 580 at 1600p and 7% slower at 1080p, which is pretty good. Anandtech says 9% faster than 570, which is pretty good too..
I'm impressed with it. Not impressed enough to not see what Nvidia puts out first though. I was only expecting 570 performance and not much more.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 08:14 AM   #29
nycdarkness
ಠ_ಠ

nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

IN some benchmarks this card makes the 7950 look very misplaced. I think a price of 300-325 would of been better for the 7870. Shame it's 1 cf connector really.

nycdarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2012, 08:19 AM   #30
SteveButabi

I was thinking the same thing. It makes the 7950/70 look even more underpowered, but if you lowered the price then even less people are going to buy a 7950. 7870 is the better buy if you're on a budget or just gaming on one monitor.

Last edited by SteveButabi : Mar 5, 2012 at 08:22 AM.