Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Console Gaming
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Console Gaming A place to discuss our favourite past and present gaming consoles. Talk about your favorite games, get nostalgic and share tips and strategies.

View Poll Results: Predict how will the Switch do?
Massive Wii-like success. 75+ million consoles sold. 4 6.06%
Generally strong sales. 50-75 million consoles sold. 11 16.67%
Mild success. 25-50 million consoles sold. 20 30.30%
Borderline failure. 15-25 million consoles sold. 16 24.24%
Dreamcast-style failure. 5-15 million consoles sold. 6 9.09%
Virtual Boy-style absolute doom. <5 million consoles sold. 2 3.03%
Too hard to predict... my head esplode! 2 3.03%
Predictions are for weeners. 5 7.58%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Old Feb 23, 2017, 07:53 PM   #61
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
TenFour
Radeon Northern Islands

TenFour is still being judged by the masses

Just gauging from hall-talk at work, there seems to be more interest than there was about the Wii U launch. That plus Zelda I think will put it above the Wii U in the first year. In following years, it'll depend on how much third party support it gets which is hard to predict.

If it becomes a 3DS successor (maybe a small form-factor version with lower-budget games that still work on the big brother), I think it will get a lot of third party support from 3DS developers.

I think as a whole it will have 3DS level success, maybe better.

With a big price drop before Christmas 2018, I think it could have the potential to be quite a big success.
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2017, 12:46 AM   #62
AdelphiaX
Radeon Caribbean Islands

AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

I checked out a local gamestop and best buy to see the crowds for the midnight release. GameStop was open and funneling people in (I'm assuming a preorder shipped to store) before midnight. They probably had 30 people total. The best buy wasn't accepting people yet but they probably had around 50.

This is more than I anticipated but I'll say this... before Cataclysm, midnight/opening releases for World of Warcraft expansion packs had larger crowds than these combined. I'll still stick to my original prediction of 5 to 15 million lifetime.

Echo Chamber - "an environment in which a person encounters only beliefs or opinions that coincide with their own, so that their existing views are reinforced and alternative ideas are not considered."

This is considered trolling and a personal attack according to Curio. FYI in case you decide to step in there. I wonder if the definition of irony is known...
AdelphiaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2017, 01:23 AM   #63
jimjobob
Radeon Volcanic Islands

jimjobob once held a door open for a complete strangerjimjobob once held a door open for a complete strangerjimjobob once held a door open for a complete stranger

Just picked one up at Best buy. They had 165 coming in and they were telling people at the end of the line they were likely going to be out before they got in. I was about 130th in line. and got the last guaranteed console slip. It was easily the longest console line I have ever seen. I also live in an area with several gamestops and best buy's really close together.

For some perspective, I picked up a Wii U at launch and there was like 6 people in line. I bricked the first one and went back to the store several hours later and they still had a pile of them.
jimjobob is online now   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Mar 3, 2017, 01:32 AM   #64
jimjobob
Radeon Volcanic Islands

jimjobob once held a door open for a complete strangerjimjobob once held a door open for a complete strangerjimjobob once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdelphiaX View Post
I checked out a local gamestop and best buy to see the crowds for the midnight release. GameStop was open and funneling people in (I'm assuming a preorder shipped to store) before midnight. They probably had 30 people total. The best buy wasn't accepting people yet but they probably had around 50.

This is more than I anticipated but I'll say this... before Cataclysm, midnight/opening releases for World of Warcraft expansion packs had larger crowds than these combined. I'll still stick to my original prediction of 5 to 15 million lifetime.
If every best buy store in the US gets in at least 100 and sells out tonight, that is minimum 150k just at one retailer in the US alone in a couple hours.
jimjobob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2017, 01:44 AM   #65
logical
What is my purpose?

logical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

There was only about 70 at the BB I went to and all the slips were out by the time I got there so I decided to go home. Im not waiting without a guarantee of getting one.

logical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2017, 02:08 AM   #66
logical
What is my purpose?

logical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by logical View Post
There was only about 70 at the BB I went to and all the slips were out by the time I got there so I decided to go home. Im not waiting without a guarantee of getting one.
Scratch that. I was able to order one through amazon prime now and it will be here in the morning. Its a neon one... not too excited about that kind of wanted the grey. I will purchase Zelda via the e-store.

Old Mar 3, 2017, 06:05 AM   #67
lviz
On my way

lviz is still being judged by the masses

Seems that availability is quite good. Several local stores report having them in stock.
Old Mar 3, 2017, 06:13 AM   #68
Mangler
PC

Mangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Yeah, I was just able to walk into a local store and pick one up without a preorder.

I guess the people who really, really wanted one bought it from an e-tailer.

But I'm sure that even the local store will run out of supplies today.
Mangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2017, 07:25 AM   #69
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Meteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:

Honestly I think you are way off. The marketing and hype for the Switch has been leagues better than it was for the Wii U. That alone should guarantee it to do much better.
Meteor_of_War is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2017, 07:27 AM   #70
Mangler
PC

Mangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Pokemans and monster hunter will save the switch.
Mangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2017, 08:12 AM   #71
lviz
On my way

Doh. I went grocery shopping to the nearest super market, and they had a pile of both colors. I ended up buying the grey one.
Old Mar 3, 2017, 09:50 AM   #72
AdelphiaX
Radeon Caribbean Islands

AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by lviz View Post
Doh. I went grocery shopping to the nearest super market, and they had a pile of both colors. I ended up buying the grey one.
Every target in my area has them in stock. 2 of 3 Gamestops near me are still offering the bundles for instore pickup.

It looks more to me that there was a limit on preorders and not a restraint on the number actually produced.

Echo Chamber - "an environment in which a person encounters only beliefs or opinions that coincide with their own, so that their existing views are reinforced and alternative ideas are not considered."

This is considered trolling and a personal attack according to Curio. FYI in case you decide to step in there. I wonder if the definition of irony is known...
Old Mar 3, 2017, 10:58 AM   #73
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Meteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

I just went to my local Best Buy as soon as it opened to grab my Zelda copy and there was a pretty sizable line waiting there. I'd say about 50-75 people. When I got inside they had a couple of carts on the floor with their stock of Switches and there had to be at least 50 of them just that i could see, maybe more.

I think Nintendo did a pretty decent job meeting demand for this release and that will help their sales numbers for sure.
Old Mar 3, 2017, 12:05 PM   #74
AdelphiaX
Radeon Caribbean Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meteor_of_War View Post
Honestly I think you are way off. The marketing and hype for the Switch has been leagues better than it was for the Wii U. That alone should guarantee it to do much better.
I do hope you're right, I'd like to get one in the future but I'm just not compelled enough with Zelda, I guess I haven't had the right experiences with that franchise. I don't want Nintendo to become Sega.

Old Mar 3, 2017, 12:31 PM   #75
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Quote:
I do hope you're right, I'd like to get one in the future but I'm just not compelled enough with Zelda, I guess I haven't had the right experiences with that franchise. I don't want Nintendo to become Sega.
Nintendo's big franchises are so much better and more popular than anything Sega ever had so for that reason as long as they keep making them they'll be fine.
Old Mar 5, 2017, 03:54 AM   #76
KAC
That postcount though...

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

So what the sales like?
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2017, 07:39 AM   #77
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

The Target I'm at right now has 20+ in line hoping to get one at opening. They handed out tickets for the people who were here early with me. I got here around 7, they open at 8.

Edit: up to around 30 now, I think half the people here are going to leave disappointed.

Edit2: and they just handed out the last tickets, they only got 20 units.

Last edited by Elysian : Mar 5, 2017 at 07:54 AM.
Elysian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2017, 10:43 AM   #78
logical
What is my purpose?

A couple days after release? Is this a restock line?

Old Mar 5, 2017, 10:46 AM   #79
|MaguS|
Wrong!... SNIFF

|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
A couple days after release? Is this a restock line?
We had more units come in the next day. Can't tell if it's Nintendo or the company drip feeding inventory. I know we were required to hold a minimum number for Sunday since it was on our Ad.

BTW I bet this console doesn't break 20 million. I had customers the day before launch ask why 4 people were waiting in line outside, one even asked if a new phone was launching... We had 10 people in line till Midnight where more people then showed up.
Old Mar 5, 2017, 11:25 AM   #80
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

There was a huge crowd at my local Best buy on Friday morning. Don't think you can gauge how it will do from how many people showed up at one store.
Old Mar 5, 2017, 01:50 PM   #81
lviz
On my way

The near non-existence of a launch lineup is a pretty poor decision, and affects sales. If Zelda's not your thing, there's just about nothing else for it you could't be playing with some other system. Releasing Zelda at the same time for Wii U further limits system sales.

Though I'm happy I didn't buy I am Setsuna for PS4. I think that the portability of Switch is a game changer for me. Times spent in transit in airports and hotel evenings just got much more entertaining.
Old Mar 5, 2017, 03:52 PM   #82
BababooeyHTJ
Radeon Arctic Islands

BababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird singsBababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird singsBababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird singsBababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird singsBababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird sings

BababooeyHTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2017, 05:19 PM   #83
ASCI Blue
Grammar NAZI

ASCI Blue knows why the caged bird singsASCI Blue knows why the caged bird singsASCI Blue knows why the caged bird singsASCI Blue knows why the caged bird singsASCI Blue knows why the caged bird sings

I have a friend who got an error on his which N couldn't solve via phone. They're being nice enough to ship him overnight boxes to ship it to them in. I'll wait for version 2.0 and hopefully a Metroid game before seriously considering grabbing one.

Proud Creator of The Cock Crew (Sportbike Network) Preventing "gay friends." ...one pecker at a time.

bounty hunter
Quote:
kids are pretty much invincible, man I doubt even explosions can phase the little womb demons
battlenet: voxmortis, origin: asci_blue, steam: death_incarnate352
ASCI Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2017, 02:26 AM   #84
dmanna
Radeon Northern Islands

dmanna can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultydmanna can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

If the Zelda game is that good I might pick up a used wii U.. the problem is I am going to demand a pro controller.. and i will literally return the console as soon as I finish Zelda.

I am definitely picking up a PS4 at some point, I don't want 3 consoles + tablets and PC's in my house.

1 smart phone, 1 tablet/laptop (surface) 1 maybe 2 consoles and a PC. Thats all I want in the house.
dmanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2017, 07:51 AM   #85
Nascar24
EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black

Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmanna View Post
If the Zelda game is that good I might pick up a used wii U.. the problem is I am going to demand a pro controller.. and i will literally return the console as soon as I finish Zelda.

I am definitely picking up a PS4 at some point, I don't want 3 consoles + tablets and PC's in my house.

1 smart phone, 1 tablet/laptop (surface) 1 maybe 2 consoles and a PC. Thats all I want in the house.
I dont know if you will be returning a WiiU, I hear its hard to come by these days and you might have to go to the used market for it if you want it. And yes Zelda is that good, even with some of the frame rate issues.. I have the Xbox one, PS4 and the WiiU at this point. Switch is to expensive for no library right now.
Nascar24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2017, 08:06 AM   #86
Drunken Janitor
Blistering Barnacles!

Drunken Janitor can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyDrunken Janitor can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

There were 21 people in line for the midnight launch at a local independent store where I pre-ordered. They had 3 consoles for walk ups. Not everyone who pre-ordered was there for the midnight launch. People I work with are interested and plan on getting one at Christmas time.

I think they should have launched with Mario Kart as well. FAST RMX is good, but no one knows about it.
i5 4670 Haswell <> Gigabyte radeon 280x <> 8 gigs of some ram that happened to be on sale that week <> Asus Z87-K <> Some DVD burner that has been used for 3-4 computers - might be a pioneer <> Winblows 10 Now!

Last edited by Drunken Janitor : Mar 6, 2017 at 08:21 AM.
Drunken Janitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2017, 08:12 AM   #87
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

I considered buying a used Wii U, but rationalized that I would be spending nearly the same amount on a 5 year old EOL console. I mainly wanted Breath of the Wild, but also didn't want a console that would be obsolete so soon. The Switch is the Wii U for people who never wanted the Wii U. Hell, I've never even used one, it was that uninteresting to me. The Switch seems to get everything right, well all the basics. I'm sure there are some big improvements coming soon, like a browser, media playback, etc.
Elysian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2017, 09:21 AM   #88
ASCI Blue
Grammar NAZI

ASCI Blue knows why the caged bird singsASCI Blue knows why the caged bird singsASCI Blue knows why the caged bird singsASCI Blue knows why the caged bird singsASCI Blue knows why the caged bird sings

Wish I copied the link, Gamestop is saying it's selling exceedingly well.

Proud Creator of The Cock Crew (Sportbike Network) Preventing "gay friends." ...one pecker at a time.

bounty hunter
Quote:
kids are pretty much invincible, man I doubt even explosions can phase the little womb demons
battlenet: voxmortis, origin: asci_blue, steam: death_incarnate352
ASCI Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2017, 09:45 AM   #89
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASCI Blue View Post
Wish I copied the link, Gamestop is saying it's selling exceedingly well.
This? http://www.gamespot.com/articles/nin.../1100-6448434/

I think it will sell well at launch, most consoles do as the die hard fans grab theirs. There was a mob of people at my local Best Buy on Friday morning. But seeing how it does over the course of the year is when you can really start to know if it will ultimately be a success. They've got Zelda to push it now at launch, and Mario Odyssey to push it this holiday season maybe with a price drop or bundle, and hoping for steady sales between now and then.

I think they've got a decent game plan. At the very least its going to do better than the Wii U. All this speculation about sales predictions though, I wonder what Nintendo themselves would consider a success. I really hope they are not banking on original Wii numbers because that ain't happening.
Old Mar 6, 2017, 09:49 AM   #90
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Sazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Scratch that. I was able to order one through amazon prime now and it will be here in the morning. Its a neon one... not too excited about that kind of wanted the grey. I will purchase Zelda via the e-store.
I dunno man. My buddy has the gray and the neon just looks so much cooler.

Either way, enjoy. My prime hasn't allowed me to make a purchase for the Switch. I am likely holding off regardless to accommodate a few computer upgrades. Will see

Hope all those who got one have loads of fun
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote