Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Community and Site Discussions » Off Topic Lounge
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Off Topic Lounge Discuss anything you want here folks. A place for computer junkies to boldly post Off Topic... Rant and rave if it is necessary, but just try to keep it clean!

Old Jul 17, 2019, 10:10 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
CurrentlyPissed
Mad, not drunk.

CurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled with

Default Nvidia stock

So I know nothing about stock. But a question I've never asked that I always wonder, but why is nvidia stock so expensive? Is there less shares available compared to lets say Intel? Is stock not a direct relation to company value?
Quote:
An arrow can only be shot by pulling it back. Remember when life is dragging you back, you are just moments away from springing forward.

So keep aiming.

-Interwebz
CurrentlyPissed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2019, 10:57 AM   #2
koralis
Radeon 5850

koralis once held a door open for a complete strangerkoralis once held a door open for a complete strangerkoralis once held a door open for a complete strangerkoralis once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurrentlyPissed View Post
So I know nothing about stock. But a question I've never asked that I always wonder, but why is nvidia stock so expensive? Is there less shares available compared to lets say Intel? Is stock not a direct relation to company value?
In theory, yes, it should be. In theory, assets/number of shares and income stream.

However, there is also SPECULATIVE value... it's gambling. If investors perceive that the value will increase in the future, they but more today. In buying more today, it drives up the price, making it a somewhat self-fulfilling prophecy.

Investors that are gambling, will then dump their stock when the expected gains are realized, no expecting further increases, which then tends to depress the stock prices even if the company is doing fine.

The fewer shares that are out there, the more volatile the stock can be and the higher the highs, the lower the lows. The more stable a company/earnings are the less volatile for the same reasons.

Kcrucible - Playing with Fire
koralis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2019, 11:20 AM   #3
CurrentlyPissed
Mad, not drunk.

CurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled with

Quote:
Originally Posted by koralis View Post
In theory, yes, it should be. In theory, assets/number of shares and income stream.

However, there is also SPECULATIVE value... it's gambling. If investors perceive that the value will increase in the future, they but more today. In buying more today, it drives up the price, making it a somewhat self-fulfilling prophecy.

Investors that are gambling, will then dump their stock when the expected gains are realized, no expecting further increases, which then tends to depress the stock prices even if the company is doing fine.

The fewer shares that are out there, the more volatile the stock can be and the higher the highs, the lower the lows. The more stable a company/earnings are the less volatile for the same reasons.
Makes more sense.

I just can't beleive the stock value is that much of a difference Nvidia being 141, and intel being 47? Just seemed odd given the revenue stream is massively higher for intel. (9.17 billion to 70.2 billion). I'd understand if nvidia had a different market segment aswell, but we are talking about a single idea product. They make one thing where as intel is in so many different things.
Quote:
An arrow can only be shot by pulling it back. Remember when life is dragging you back, you are just moments away from springing forward.

So keep aiming.

-Interwebz
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jul 17, 2019, 11:27 AM   #4
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Mahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled with

Yes, available shares does play a roll. For instance, Intel has had many stock splits over it's nearly 40 year stock history. Nvidia has had far less, but it hasn't been a publicly traded stock for nearly as long a Intel. There are other factors as well with pricing.
Mahjik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2019, 11:32 AM   #5
CurrentlyPissed
Mad, not drunk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahjik View Post
Yes, available shares does play a roll. For instance, Intel has had many stock splits over it's nearly 40 year stock history. Nvidia has had far less, but it hasn't been a publicly traded stock for nearly as long a Intel. There are other factors as well with pricing.
Ah see that makes more sense that was my question. Again I know zero about stock so I was curious how that worked. I didnt know if anyone could just "buy into a stock" or if there was a set amount like trading cards for example. Less the cards, more value. But more cards could be more value, given enough of quantity.
Quote:

So keep aiming.

-Interwebz
Old Jul 17, 2019, 06:04 PM   #6
The Luggage
Life is Good

The Luggage knows why the caged bird singsThe Luggage knows why the caged bird singsThe Luggage knows why the caged bird singsThe Luggage knows why the caged bird singsThe Luggage knows why the caged bird sings

None of it makes a lot of sense. Intel stock was stuck in the $20 range for over a decade despite having record quarter after record quarter. Now it's been hovering around $50 for the last couple of years for no discernible reason.
The Luggage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2019, 06:42 PM   #7
Shapeshifter
Radeon Arctic Islands

Shapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badges

you have to factor in total number of shares as well.

company A may have a lower stock price but vastly more shares on the market while company B has a much higher stock price but much less stock.

at a quick glance you may think company B is worth more but that could be wrong.

Rage3d is the BEST forum!! There are alot of smart people on here!! -phexus
Shapeshifter is offline   Reply With Quote