Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Community and Site Discussions » Off Topic Lounge
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Off Topic Lounge Discuss anything you want here folks. A place for computer junkies to boldly post Off Topic... Rant and rave if it is necessary, but just try to keep it clean!

Old May 7, 2011, 12:05 AM   #91
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
spindoctor
Radeon Arctic Islands

spindoctor is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViCyniC View Post
If only I knew how to read books.
try anyway . it's worth it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrike126 View Post
Some parts I'm glad they pulled from the story when moving it to a movie. For instance... When Bran gets tossed and loses his legs, he spends a few chapters in dreams with a bird. I've never been a fan of dream pieces in stories. I know the symbolism had some meaning but feh... whatever... just get on with the story itself. So them skipping that and going straight to Bran waking up from his coma was okay with me.

Though I can't help now but wonder, where's Hodor?!
yea leaving that part out was fine

as for hodor, i think the first time he shows up in the book is to carry bran around right? since bran just woke up, i'm assuming he'll be in the next episode onwards.
spindoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2011, 06:33 AM   #92
Adanu
MRA in Residence

Adanu once held a door open for a complete strangerAdanu once held a door open for a complete strangerAdanu once held a door open for a complete strangerAdanu once held a door open for a complete stranger

So, for someone totally new to this and was avoiding the wheel of time and a song of fire and ice, should I look into reading the first novel of this before I watch the series?

Keep in mind, I'm enjoying Camelot so far.
Adanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2011, 09:05 AM   #93
Jamar
Pew Pew Pew

Jamar can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyJamar can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrike126 View Post
Wonder, where's Hodor?!
He's out, Hodor, hodor, HODOR, HODOR, HODOR, Hodor, hodor, hodoring.
Jamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old May 7, 2011, 01:45 PM   #94
Tyler582
Radeon Caribbean Islands

Tyler582 is still being judged by the masses

*cough*winteriscoming*cough*

ASUS UL30-VT A1 13.3" Notebook w/64GB SSD
Tyler582 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2011, 04:00 PM   #95
Jamar
Pew Pew Pew

Jamar can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyJamar can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adanu View Post
So, for someone totally new to this and was avoiding the wheel of time and a song of fire and ice, should I look into reading the first novel of this before I watch the series?

The book is superior to the show. Like Shrike said above there are parts of the story that are being modified or left out entirely due to time constraints. The show is good so far, so I would consider watching the series first and then reading the books while you wait for season two.
Old May 7, 2011, 04:07 PM   #96
spindoctor
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamar View Post
The show is good so far, so I would consider watching the series first and then reading the books while you wait for season two.
i'd say that an even better way to experience it would be to read the book along with the show. read part of the story and then see it visualized on screen that week. the book is ~800 pages long so reading 80-100 pages a week should keep the stories going approximately parallel. it's a little bit of effort but i'd imagine it would be worth it.
Old May 7, 2011, 04:08 PM   #97
Jamar
Pew Pew Pew

Quote:
Originally Posted by spindoctor View Post
i'd say that an even better way to experience it would be to read the book along with the show. read part of the story and then see it visualized on screen that week. the book is ~800 pages long so reading 80-100 pages a week should keep the stories going approximately parallel. it's a little bit of effort but i'd imagine it would be worth it.
That is a good idea. It is definately worth reading. It isn't a series to rush through.
Old May 9, 2011, 09:30 AM   #98
**G.I.BRO**
Berwip crawna-wi pinibon

**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel

Good episode yet again last night, but the ending was quite awesome...
**G.I.BRO** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2011, 11:56 AM   #99
acroig
Master Troll

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adanu View Post
What's you view on that show? I'm watching it but I don't get what they're trying to do.

yoz
acroig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2011, 12:32 PM   #100
Matrix0507
Scootable Catalyst

Matrix0507 is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by spindoctor View Post
This is exactly what I'm doing. Except, I'm listening to audiobook.
Originally Posted by gaurav_fhs
1 simple thread by Matrix started this nonsense?
Matrix0507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2011, 01:40 PM   #101
spindoctor
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by acroig View Post
What's you view on that show? I'm watching it but I don't get what they're trying to do.
same here. it seems completely directionless.
Old May 9, 2011, 01:43 PM   #102
curio
𐐒ananaD

curio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished road

Camelot directionless? No more than Game of Thrones. It's pretty clear to me that Morgan is trying to get the throne from her half brother, Merlin is about to really harness his powers, Arthur is set on a path of righteousness (albeit naive), and him and Guinevere are gonna cause a major stir. A serious storm is brewing in that series...
Old May 9, 2011, 01:48 PM   #103
spindoctor
Radeon Arctic Islands

i just feel there isn't any flow to the story as such. i agree with all you're saying but i don't know... i guess i'm not really enjoying it too much.

let me put it this way... it's not something i look forward to watching in anticipation every week. game of thrones on the other hand, is, even though i know the story already.
Old May 9, 2011, 07:22 PM   #104
lunat!c#

lunat!c# is still being judged by the masses

So without reading the books, you cannot enjoy this right? Or are there people here that didn't read, yet enjoy the show? With all these (good) names you expect something epic, but so far I am clueless what it is about. Seven families, they all hate each other, incest and betrayal. Is there more to it?

I am going to watch episode 4 in a bit and hide my remote. I am so tempted to just fast-forward my way through it.
lunat!c# is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2011, 08:10 PM   #105
A2597
A Peculiar Person

A2597 knows why the caged bird singsA2597 knows why the caged bird singsA2597 knows why the caged bird singsA2597 knows why the caged bird singsA2597 knows why the caged bird sings

I'm enjoying it.

I can see things are brewing. I've not read the books, waiting to finish Wheel of Time next year before I contemplate starting another epic fantasy. (And preferably, I'd spend that time writing instead).

I must admit, near the end I had a bit of an "Oh ****" moment, which then turned into a very hearty laugh. I wasn't certain what to expect in that situation, and I love how it played out.

But you are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that you should show forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light.
1 Peter 2:9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vengeance View Post
:heart: I took a few weeks off, but Rage is like a home away from home.
A2597 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2011, 09:45 PM   #106
ViCyniC
Radeon Arctic Islands

ViCyniC is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunat!c# View Post
So without reading the books, you cannot enjoy this right? Or are there people here that didn't read, yet enjoy the show? With all these (good) names you expect something epic, but so far I am clueless what it is about. Seven families, they all hate each other, incest and betrayal. Is there more to it?

I am going to watch episode 4 in a bit and hide my remote. I am so tempted to just fast-forward my way through it.
I don't read anything, ever, but I still enjoy movies and shows based on writings and comics.

I'm liking this show. It's interesting enough, and the acting is solid, which is no surprise coming from HBO.
ViCyniC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2011, 01:39 AM   #107
Tork64
Radeon Arctic Islands

Tork64 is still being judged by the masses

Wow

best episode yet.
Tork64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2011, 04:08 AM   #108
spindoctor
Radeon Arctic Islands

did anyone else get the feeling that they deviated a bit from the book in this episode?

maybe it's just my memory failing me but i don't seem to recall the part in the book where the king and queen sit down and discuss their marriage and lyanna stark. and i'm definitely sure there wasn't such a long section where the knight of flowers shaves lord renly's chest

i can understand they need to take creative license but meh... what was the point of that scene? and especially when you put it in and leave out some of the good stuff, like the ascension of the vale of arryn, which i was kind of looking forward to seeing. here they just showed one scene on the road and then they were inside the castle.

and finally, does anyone else feel they are moving pretty fast with the story? the only things really left in the story are the war between the lannisters and starks and ned, robert and khal drogo getting killed. assuming they have at least another 6-7 episodes, that's half the season left but i'd bet what's left is definitely less than half the book.

Last edited by spindoctor : May 16, 2011 at 04:16 AM.
Old May 17, 2011, 08:47 AM   #109
McTurok
Radeon Volcanic Islands

McTurok is still being judged by the masses

Rome was my all time favoriate HBO series, but it must now step aside and be #2 on my list. This series offically takes my #1 spot!

Meanwhile Camelot has turned into being offically boring. I'm not sure I care to watch another episode.
McTurok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2011, 01:15 PM   #110
curio
𐐒ananaD

curio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished road

I thought the last Game of Thrones was a yawner
Old May 17, 2011, 03:12 PM   #111
xCLAVEx
Not gone

xCLAVEx can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyxCLAVEx can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyxCLAVEx can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by curio View Post
I thought the last Game of Thrones was a yawner
You're probably the only one. It was the best one yet.

"Be careful what you say, not everybody is open minded"
xCLAVEx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2011, 03:25 PM   #112
huskylord
Individual 2

huskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by xCLAVEx View Post
You're probably the only one. It was the best one yet.
I agree, it had violence, boobies, more violence, and more boobies.
What more could anyone ask for?
Old May 17, 2011, 04:31 PM   #113
curio
𐐒ananaD

Quote:
Originally Posted by huskylord
I agree, it had violence, boobies, more violence, and more boobies.
What more could anyone ask for?
IIRC, there was one scene of a kid sucking on a mom's boob and one where Stark gets speared in the leg and his men get killed. Not exactly a plethora of either I would say.

Naw, 5 was just a build up. 6 & 7 are going to be way better
Old May 17, 2011, 04:57 PM   #114
xCLAVEx
Not gone

xCLAVEx can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyxCLAVEx can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyxCLAVEx can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by curio View Post
IIRC, there was one scene of a kid sucking on a mom's boob and one where Stark gets speared in the leg and his men get killed. Not exactly a plethora of either I would say.

Naw, 5 was just a build up. 6 & 7 are going to be way better
Don't forget a gay blowjob complete with sucking sounds.

"Be careful what you say, not everybody is open minded"
xCLAVEx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2011, 05:29 PM   #115
Tork64
Radeon Arctic Islands

Code:
True blood season 1 viewer ratings:
Ep1: 1.44
Ep2: 1.81
Ep3: 1.82
Ep4: 1.82
Ep5: 1.13

GoT season 1 viewer ratings:
Ep1: 2.22
Ep2: 2.20
Ep3: 2.44
Ep4: 2.45
Ep5: 2.60
Old May 17, 2011, 06:05 PM   #116
curio
𐐒ananaD

Quote:
Originally Posted by xCLAVEx View Post
Don't forget a gay blowjob complete with sucking sounds.
oh yeah
Old May 17, 2011, 06:18 PM   #117
wabbitslayer
Elmer J. Fudd, Esq.

wabbitslayer achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmwabbitslayer achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmwabbitslayer achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmwabbitslayer achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmwabbitslayer achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmwabbitslayer achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmwabbitslayer achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmwabbitslayer achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmwabbitslayer achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmwabbitslayer achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmwabbitslayer achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

I approve of this show

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunz View Post
Does it really matter that much to you? Holy ****. It's almost like some of you want to argue about the most mundane, irrelevant, insensible **** just to argue about something.
wabbitslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2011, 08:08 PM   #118
Tork64
Radeon Arctic Islands

Those Clegane bros are massive, especially the older one, he had to be at least 6'8.
Old May 17, 2011, 08:22 PM   #119
Zero
Sass hole

Zero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English Channel

actor playing Sandor is 6'6, other actor is 7'1

please refrain from telling other forum members to "Go eat a buffet of dicks." in the future.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2011, 08:58 PM   #120
shrike126
Roxen. You are missed.

shrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Subscriber

Well he was called the Mountain in the books.
"I don't even wait. And when you're a star they let you do it. You can do anything."
"Grab them by the pussy."

~Donald J. Trump
Quote:
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe, is that so far none of it has tried to contact us." ~ Calvin & Hobbes
Quote:
"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable." ~ John F. Kennedy (1962)
shrike126 is offline   Reply With Quote