Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Graphics Technology Forums » AMD Radeon Discussion and Support
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

AMD Radeon Discussion and Support General discussion, tweaking, overclocking and technical support questions about discrete Radeon graphics products.

Old Dec 9, 2013, 05:43 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
BababooeyHTJ
Radeon Arctic Islands

BababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird singsBababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird singsBababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird singsBababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird singsBababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird sings

Default Altcoin mining thread, who else is doing it?

I decided to make a thread dedicated to mining. Who else here is doing it? What coins are you mining?

I decided to lay off the litecoins. I've been mining Feathercoins for a couple of days. I'm going to hoard them until the price goes up a bit more. Its been creeping back up.
BababooeyHTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2013, 06:05 PM   #2
Roxen
Drunk sexy prick

Roxen doesn't need no stinkin' badgesRoxen doesn't need no stinkin' badgesRoxen doesn't need no stinkin' badgesRoxen doesn't need no stinkin' badgesRoxen doesn't need no stinkin' badgesRoxen doesn't need no stinkin' badgesRoxen doesn't need no stinkin' badgesRoxen doesn't need no stinkin' badgesRoxen doesn't need no stinkin' badges

If I were you I'd be using one the pools that autoswitches based upon coin profitability. The one I'm using (hashco.ws) even autotrades them into btc for me.

I think it's the best way myself. Why stick with mining only one coin?
Old Dec 9, 2013, 06:06 PM   #3
ShaidarHaran
Radeon Arctic Islands

ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

I've decided to ride the Litecoin train for now, I'll keep mining until the difficulty is too high to generate them at a decent rate, then I'll switch to something else.
ShaidarHaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Dec 9, 2013, 06:13 PM   #4
Roxen
Drunk sexy prick

Roxen doesn't need no stinkin' badgesRoxen doesn't need no stinkin' badgesRoxen doesn't need no stinkin' badgesRoxen doesn't need no stinkin' badgesRoxen doesn't need no stinkin' badgesRoxen doesn't need no stinkin' badgesRoxen doesn't need no stinkin' badgesRoxen doesn't need no stinkin' badgesRoxen doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Are you banking on ltc rising meteorically like btc has?

http://www.coinwarz.com/cryptocurrency If not I really suggest looking into autoswitching pools.
Old Dec 9, 2013, 06:35 PM   #5
BababooeyHTJ
Radeon Arctic Islands

BababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird singsBababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird singsBababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird singsBababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird singsBababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxen View Post
If I were you I'd be using one the pools that autoswitches based upon coin profitability. The one I'm using (hashco.ws) even autotrades them into btc for me.

I think it's the best way myself. Why stick with mining only one coin?
Really? Now that seems handy as ****. Thanks for the tip.

Last edited by BababooeyHTJ : Dec 9, 2013 at 06:37 PM.
Old Dec 9, 2013, 06:45 PM   #6
ShaidarHaran
Radeon Arctic Islands

ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxen View Post
Are you banking on ltc rising meteorically like btc has?

http://www.coinwarz.com/cryptocurrency If not I really suggest looking into autoswitching pools.
Yes. I'll hold onto them for as long as necessary to make some serious money. Once mining Litecoins is no longer beneficial, I'll switch to Altcoins.
Old Dec 9, 2013, 07:15 PM   #7
moshpit
Resident Mac Hater

moshpit once held a door open for a complete strangermoshpit once held a door open for a complete strangermoshpit once held a door open for a complete strangermoshpit once held a door open for a complete stranger

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaidarHaran View Post
Yes. I'll hold onto them for as long as necessary to make some serious money. Once mining Litecoins is no longer beneficial, I'll switch to Altcoins.
This is what I've been doing, but am gonna test out the hashco.ws thingy right now just for the hell of it. Who knows, maybe worth it, maybe not.
Old Dec 9, 2013, 07:30 PM   #8
BababooeyHTJ
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by moshpit View Post
This is what I've been doing, but am gonna test out the hashco.ws thingy right now just for the hell of it. Who knows, maybe worth it, maybe not.
My only concern with that is that by the time that it actually pays out and then sells the coins the value will be down.

At the moment I'm hoping to see the price of feathercoins rise and just hoarding.

I'm still tempted to give hashco.ws a shot though. It does look easy.
Old Dec 9, 2013, 07:31 PM   #9
Pestul
Radeon Evergreen

Pestul is still being judged by the masses

Is there any truth to this activity being responsible for driving up the prices on the 280x series? They're like $50-100 more on a lot of sites.. or is it just limited availability.
[Antec 902 Case w/Antec Truepower 750] [ASUS P6T SE Crossflashed to WS Pro] [Xeon X5650 @4.2GHz] [Thermalrite Ultra 120 Extreme] [12GB G.Skill DDR3 @1691 9-9-9-24-1T] [Zotac GTX970] [180GB Intel 330 SSD, 640GB WD Black, 3TB Toshiba] [27" iMac IPS 1440p]
Pestul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2013, 07:35 PM   #10
moshpit
Resident Mac Hater

moshpit once held a door open for a complete strangermoshpit once held a door open for a complete strangermoshpit once held a door open for a complete strangermoshpit once held a door open for a complete stranger

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pestul View Post
Is there any truth to this activity being responsible for driving up the prices on the 280x series? They're like $50-100 more on a lot of sites.. or is it just limited availability.
It's distinctly possible. Radeon's are already top notch at mining, but the new gen is insanely good at it. I'm even getting ready to swap out my GTX 680 for a pair of R9 290X very very soon.
Old Dec 9, 2013, 07:46 PM   #11
BababooeyHTJ
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pestul View Post
Without a doubt, look at reddit. There are pictures of people with pallets of these cards.
Old Dec 9, 2013, 08:20 PM   #12
CurrentlyPissed
Mad, not drunk.

CurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled with

I'm thinking about starting it. If the calculator is about right, off my two 290s I would see roughly $500 profit/mo. Does that sound feasible?
Quote:
An arrow can only be shot by pulling it back. Remember when life is dragging you back, you are just moments away from springing forward.

So keep aiming.

-Interwebz
CurrentlyPissed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2013, 08:29 PM   #13
moshpit
Resident Mac Hater

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurrentlyPissed View Post
I'm thinking about starting it. If the calculator is about right, off my two 290s I would see roughly $500 profit/mo. Does that sound feasible?
Yes. About matches my estimates as well. You can get a good idea about actual mining speeds for your specific card at https://litecoin.info/Mining_hardware_comparison. It's for Litecoin, but actually is the same rate all altcoin is pretty much mined at. Feathercoin and the other litecoin types all use the same mining proggy (GUIminer/cgminer if yer on AMD, cudaminer for Nvidia).

Edit: added miner info for AMD cards

Last edited by moshpit : Dec 9, 2013 at 08:34 PM.
moshpit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2013, 09:14 PM   #14
BababooeyHTJ
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurrentlyPissed View Post
Thats if difficulty stays the same for the month, which it won't. On the other hand the price of LTC could go up.
Old Dec 9, 2013, 09:35 PM   #15
Roadhog_
Sausages

Roadhog_ can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyRoadhog_ can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Mining Litecoin @ ~3700KH
Roadhog_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2013, 12:18 PM   #16
Pestul
Radeon Evergreen

Pestul is still being judged by the masses

It does sound interesting, but it feels like it's almost getting too popular too fast. I was already running my power bill up significantly with [email protected], but I guess if the reward was worth it in this...
[Antec 902 Case w/Antec Truepower 750] [ASUS P6T SE Crossflashed to WS Pro] [Xeon X5650 @4.2GHz] [Thermalrite Ultra 120 Extreme] [12GB G.Skill DDR3 @1691 9-9-9-24-1T] [Zotac GTX970] [180GB Intel 330 SSD, 640GB WD Black, 3TB Toshiba] [27" iMac IPS 1440p]
Pestul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2013, 12:22 PM   #17
ShaidarHaran
Radeon Arctic Islands

Difficulty has sky-rocketed. Litecoin isn't going to produce much ROI in a very short time for anyone that doesn't have a ton of them saved up already, or a metric ton of graphics cards to run cgminer on.
Old Dec 10, 2013, 03:35 PM   #18
Dave
Radeon Arctic Islands

Dave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Subscriber

Quote:
Difficulty has sky-rocketed. Litecoin isn't going to produce much ROI in a very short time for anyone that doesn't have a ton of them saved up already, or a metric ton of graphics cards to run cgminer on.
It's probably better to just buy LiteCoins straight up and then sell them when they are worth a bit more. That way you get the coins right now vs. having to mine for them over a period of time.
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2013, 03:54 PM   #19
ShaidarHaran
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
It's probably better to just buy LiteCoins straight up and then sell them when they are worth a bit more. That way you get the coins right now vs. having to mine for them over a period of time.
True, but then there's a real monetary outlay and not everyone is comfortable doing that. Who knows what the future of Litecoin or any crypto currency really is? I have thought about it, though. The way I see it, video cards are basically free (for me) since I can just replace old hardware and write off the difference as an upgrade cost. Whatever I make at that point is just a nice bonus.
Old Dec 10, 2013, 04:16 PM   #20
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

caveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badges

put your hashrate into dustcoin.com and see your results on lots of cryptocurrencies.

http://dustcoin.com/
caveman-jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2013, 04:56 PM   #21
ShaidarHaran
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by caveman-jim View Post
put your hashrate into dustcoin.com and see your results on lots of cryptocurrencies.

http://dustcoin.com/
Sweet. Thanks!
Old Dec 10, 2013, 05:04 PM   #22
twiSt
beginner

twiSt can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultytwiSt can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultytwiSt can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

[email protected]

Check out Sexcoin: +1489% in the last few hours

http://coinmarketcap.com/
twiSt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2013, 05:33 PM   #23
BababooeyHTJ
Radeon Arctic Islands

There would be
Old Dec 10, 2013, 07:26 PM   #24
dreamwalker
valar morghulis

dreamwalker once held a door open for a complete strangerdreamwalker once held a door open for a complete strangerdreamwalker once held a door open for a complete strangerdreamwalker once held a door open for a complete stranger

How do you buy these coins themselves? is there a market for em?
dreamwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2013, 07:39 PM   #25
BababooeyHTJ
Radeon Arctic Islands

There is a few. I've been using BTC-E.
Old Dec 11, 2013, 09:23 AM   #26
Drunken Janitor
Blistering Barnacles!

Drunken Janitor can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyDrunken Janitor can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

I HATE cryptocurrency. They will all go tits up. Also, they are preventing me from being able to find a 280x for my new computer.
i5 4670 Haswell <> Gigabyte radeon 280x <> 8 gigs of some ram that happened to be on sale that week <> Asus Z87-K <> Some DVD burner that has been used for 3-4 computers - might be a pioneer <> Winblows 10 Now!
Drunken Janitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2013, 10:05 AM   #27
fellix_bg
Don't lettuce on me!

fellix_bg kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshfellix_bg kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshfellix_bg kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshfellix_bg kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshfellix_bg kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshfellix_bg kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshfellix_bg kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshfellix_bg kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshfellix_bg kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Yep, there's wide spread shortage of Tahiti and Hawaii based boards because of the latest LTC craze. Both brand new and second hand prices are up.

Life has more imagination than we carry in our dreams...
fellix_bg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2013, 10:43 AM   #28
ShaidarHaran
Radeon Arctic Islands

The Litecoin craze will likely end soon, difficulty continues to climb at a very high rate, meaning if you don't have quite a few cards running then your production will be fairly low. I started at about 3.5 LTC per day, now I'm down to around 1.5 and the next difficulty spike will have me down to about 1.4. I have to throw my spare 7950 into a rig just go get it back up above 1.5. I think once it dips below 1 per day I'll switch to something else and just hoard whatever LTC I've been able to accrue until they become worth something like BTC.
Old Dec 11, 2013, 10:46 AM   #29
CurrentlyPissed
Mad, not drunk.

CurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled with

Quote:
The Litecoin craze will likely end soon, difficulty continues to climb at a very high rate, meaning if you don't have quite a few cards running then your production will be fairly low. I started at about 3.5 LTC per day, now I'm down to around 1.5 and the next difficulty spike will have me down to about 1.4. I have to throw my spare 7950 into a rig just go get it back up above 1.5. I think once it dips below 1 per day I'll switch to something else and just hoard whatever LTC I've been able to accrue until they become worth something like BTC.
Projections from other forums seem to think difficulty will go back down some soon.
Quote:
An arrow can only be shot by pulling it back. Remember when life is dragging you back, you are just moments away from springing forward.

So keep aiming.

-Interwebz
CurrentlyPissed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2013, 12:22 PM   #30
Ristogod
Semper Vigilare

Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

How viable are some of these other currencies? I was looking at Digitalcoins and BBQcoins as possible alternatives to move to at some point. But I'm not sure I want to spread this all around into so many different types.

Also, one thing I can't quite understand is where the coins I mine actually are. Could someone please explain that. I've looked and not found answers that make sense to me.

For example I have the Litecoin wallet program on my machine. That gives me some address. I have my mining pool set to payout at 5 coins and send to my address. When it pays out, where are my coins exactly? This is confusing to me.

I'm worried that if I uninstall the wallet program or my hard drive dies or whatever that I'll end up losing the coins. How do I protect against that? Do I backup the addresses some where? None of this seems tied to any account, I'm unsure of how I would restore my earnings.