Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Graphics Technology Forums » AMD Radeon Discussion and Support
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

AMD Radeon Discussion and Support General discussion, tweaking, overclocking and technical support questions about discrete Radeon graphics products.

Old Feb 4, 2013, 04:29 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
jlpktnst
Radeon R520

jlpktnst is still being judged by the masses

Default How to upgrade 7850?

Got a nice 7850 2 GIG and all was fine.

But then I decided to go eyefinity 3 and the card is a bit underpowered for 3x1920x1200...

So now I can as I see it:
* sell the card and buy another (7950 or 7970 come to mind)
* buy an additional 7850 and do CFX
* wait for refresh?

Is there another option? Waiting seems pointless now since they moved all to Q4... also gotta mind the crazy 6000x1200 resolution.

I was running 5770 cfx'ed for a while and while I was quite satisfied most of the time I had some gripes with it. Any experience? Any additional problems with eyefinity? I know some games will get all stuttery, gamma stutter and all.

I am especially interested in GW2 and PoE handling. I never ran GW2 on CFX. Oh also, project Cars even has trouble running eyefinity, does it even run cfx?

Also there is a price factor, so comparable to what I have in cfx would be what, 7970? That one is quite pricey.

Hope I didn't duplicate content with this thread and thanks for your help in advance (and no, I am not considering nvidia).
jlpktnst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 05:35 AM   #2
Omega53
Rage veteran

Omega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlpktnst View Post
Got a nice 7850 2 GIG and all was fine.

But then I decided to go eyefinity 3 and the card is a bit underpowered for 3x1920x1200...

So now I can as I see it:
* sell the card and buy another (7950 or 7970 come to mind)
* buy an additional 7850 and do CFX
* wait for refresh?

Is there another option? Waiting seems pointless now since they moved all to Q4... also gotta mind the crazy 6000x1200 resolution.

I was running 5770 cfx'ed for a while and while I was quite satisfied most of the time I had some gripes with it. Any experience? Any additional problems with eyefinity? I know some games will get all stuttery, gamma stutter and all.

I am especially interested in GW2 and PoE handling. I never ran GW2 on CFX. Oh also, project Cars even has trouble running eyefinity, does it even run cfx?

Also there is a price factor, so comparable to what I have in cfx would be what, 7970? That one is quite pricey.

Hope I didn't duplicate content with this thread and thanks for your help in advance (and no, I am not considering nvidia).
At that resolution, it would almost be a necessity to buy at least 2 cards. I dont know if GW2 uses CFX tho...
Omega53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 08:41 AM   #3
jlpktnst
Radeon R520

Exactly, right now it is kinda crappy, coolness factor aside. Also there is a ton of issues with cfx (also no way to switch it on/off seamlessly, no way to calibrate separate monitors and on and on). But for starters I gotta find a good + cheap way of upgrading what I have up to spec
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Feb 4, 2013, 12:18 PM   #4
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

caveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Also there is a ton of issues with cfx
such as?
Quote:
also no way to switch it on/off seamlessly
yes there is
Quote:
no way to calibrate separate monitors
yes there is
caveman-jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 02:42 PM   #5
jlpktnst
Radeon R520

Issues with cfx I remember while running it:
* complete breakdown of a few games
* gamma flicker in certain titles
Both make it unplayable and force you to turn one card off. Sadly I know no quick way of doing it so its tedious. Or will it work if I use profiles? I remember not being able to do it that way (similar to eyefinity) but that was more than a year ago.

But yea, I might have made it sound a bit worse than I think it is. Though if you haven't noticed I am considering upgrading to cfx. I was runing 5770 in CFX for a while... I was just wondering how many of the old issues are still there. I remember scaling was VERY GOOD. But some games like GW2 claim they aren't supported. I can either google my eyes out or ask on a forum that I used for help in the past.

---
Eyefinity switch on/off seamlessly, tell me how. My CCC profiles ignore eyefinity. So this is what I did. Made my "normal" settings. Saved profile in CCC. Turned on eyefinity. Saved profile in CCC. Switching profiles does nothing now, and I would expect it to switch the mode.

---
Ok, I have this product: http://spyder.datacolor.com/portfolio-view/spyder4pro/

Please teach me how to load color profiles when in eyefinity mode. I cannot seem to find a way (also google, stackexchange couldn't help me).

---
I might have overestimated a few points but as I see it some of it is quite valid. I am just a bit disappointed by the responses I got so far. Thanks for any additional useful info.

Last edited by jlpktnst : Feb 5, 2013 at 02:50 PM.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 05:49 AM   #6
Crisler
SAPPHIRE PR REP

Crisler can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyCrisler can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Not sure that even a single 7970 would throw pixels well for gaming at that resolution. I would go with a dual 7850 setup and see how that works.

As for Eyefinity I will leave that to the experts here. I personally do not run multicard setups but that is a personal choice. I find that it was to hit and miss with game support meaning I often only got use of half my purchase. That has changed in recent titles however so it should be less of an issue.

#SapphireNation
Crisler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 11:53 AM   #7
Higgy10

Higgy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Hmm well if you dont have a problem going crossfire, a 2nd 7850 should perform better than a single 7970 and be a bit cheaper.
CFX 290
Acer Predator x34 21:9
Intel x25-m 80gb ssd and 500gb SSD
2x1tb WD Black in raid0
Higgy10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 12:25 PM   #8
jlpktnst
Radeon R520

Well gotta check a few benchies and tests before I do that, but I suspected as much.

Nothing against cfx per-se, just curious whether people had a lot of problems that aren't mentioned a lot. I know gw2 will be problematic in such a setup, my cpu probably chokes it and its really not optimised at all... still running myself on budget :P

Thanks for your thoughts.