Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Community and Site Discussions » Off Topic Lounge » Motoring
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Motoring Anything that goes vroooom! and makes the hairs on the back of your neck stand up, this is the place.

Old Feb 8, 2018, 11:31 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Default Going to buy a new truck soon...

So I'm looking to downsize a bit from my aging F150, and I'm either wanting to buy my first new vehicle, or one so new it still has a warranty. I've been looking at Nissan Frontiers, because I loved my Pathfinder, and they start at very reasonable prices. Tacomas look nice, but they are WAY too expensive.

I'd like a V6 I think, are there any others I should be looking at? How is the new Colorado? Any input is welcome. I've got financing sorted already (approved for $40k), but I'd like to stay well below $30k. 2WD is preferable, I've found I don't need the 4WD that my F150 has.
Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2018, 11:39 AM   #2
curio
𐐒ananaD

curio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished road

Haven't personally driven a Colorado/Canyon but I've heard good things. Typical GM plasticy interior, but it supposedly rides good, has plenty of power, is reliable, and does all the truck things well.

Also the Ranger is coming back into the US market for the 2019 model year; powertrains expected to be the Ecoboost 4cylinder, a NA V6, and a diesel option for under $25k base

Last edited by curio : Feb 8, 2018 at 12:33 PM.
curio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2018, 11:45 AM   #3
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by curio View Post
Haven't personally driven a Colorado/Canyon but I've heard good things. Typical GM plasticy interior, but it supposedly rides good, has plenty of power, is reliable, and does all the truck things well.

Also the Ranger is coming back into the market for the 2019 model year; powertrains expected to be the Ecoboost 4cylinder, a NA V6, and a diesel option for under $25k base
There's a diesel GMC Canyon near me for $35k, might be one to look at.

Trying not to wait that long, but the Ecoboost Ranger does look awesome.

edit: And there's a '17 Canyon diesel for $32k.
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Feb 8, 2018, 12:28 PM   #4
switchAMG
FCK TRMP

switchAMG exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselswitchAMG exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselswitchAMG exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselswitchAMG exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselswitchAMG exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselswitchAMG exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselswitchAMG exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselswitchAMG exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselswitchAMG exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselswitchAMG exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselswitchAMG exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

I just got back from Scotland -- wish we had these Rangers in NA -- really cool little trucks.

Old Feb 8, 2018, 01:10 PM   #5
Munkus
Hugged your dog lately?

Munkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation

I picked up a 2018 4Runner, which is based on the Tacoma platform. Amazing truck, but yes it's a bit pricey. Worth it in terms of reliability and resale value, IMO.
Munkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2018, 01:20 PM   #6
switchAMG
FCK TRMP

switchAMG exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselswitchAMG exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselswitchAMG exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselswitchAMG exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselswitchAMG exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselswitchAMG exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselswitchAMG exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselswitchAMG exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselswitchAMG exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselswitchAMG exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselswitchAMG exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munkus View Post
I picked up a 2018 4Runner, which is based on the Tacoma platform. Amazing truck, but yes it's a bit pricey. Worth it in terms of reliability and resale value, IMO.
I was considering selling my monster truck last year, and buying a new Tacoma -- the price I was ok with as I know from experience they hold their value. The problem I had was with the gas mileage -- for a little truck they are a brutal.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 01:31 PM   #7
Sasquach
2/10 will not bang

Sasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by switchAMG View Post
I was considering selling my monster truck last year, and buying a new Tacoma -- the price I was ok with as I know from experience they hold their value. The problem I had was with the gas mileage -- for a little truck they are a brutal.
They do offer 6 speed manual with the V6 in the taco's.
Don't bother looking at the 4 banger, its a duirable but weaksauce engine with just as pathetic gas mileage.

I cant remember if the Colorado/Canyon does or if those come with manual only on the 4 bangers.

Frontiers are old as **** now, they haven't been updated in forever. That could be a good or bad thing. I think they're planning a replacement pretty soon though.
Zalman CNPS9900LED on AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE @ 3.2ghz
Gigabyte GA-MA790FXT-UD5P
4gb Patriot Viper Series Low Latency DDR3 1600
8gb Patriot Gamer 2 series Performance DDR3 1600
Dell E2210 (22" widescreen) monitor + AMD Radeon R9 290
Western Digital Caviar Black 500gb 7200RPM SATA
Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200.12 SATA
Sennheiser PC350 Xense edition on Asus Xonar Xense
Sasquach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2018, 01:40 PM   #8
Sasquach
2/10 will not bang

Sasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
I just got back from Scotland -- wish we had these Rangers in NA -- really cool little trucks.

I think the upcoming (2019) Rangers are going to be like those.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 01:51 PM   #9
Greasy
Raiding Curio's Stable

Greasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
Yeah, that's what's really holding that little truck back. By the time you do anything to it option wise, you're in Tundra territory price wise, and the gas mileage difference really isn't all that much.

That new ranger should sell like crazy when it comes out.
Greasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2018, 02:18 PM   #10
Shadowless
Deez Nuts

Shadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badges

I can't believe Im the first one to suggest the 2nd gen Ridgeline. you can get a 2018 2WD Ridgeline Sport with a cpl options for $34K new.
Desktop - Corsair Carbide SPEC-02 Redshift | ASUS ROG Crosshair VI Hero | AMD Ryzen 7 1700X | Hyper 212 EVO | 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200 | 512GB Intel 660p | 2TB Seagate 7200.12 | 16x LG BD-Burner | MSI Armor OC GeForce GTX 1080 | Tt ToughPower Grand RGB 750w | Acer ET322QU | Windows 10 Pro
HTPC - Fractal Design Define R4 | ASRock Z77 Extreme4 | Intel Core i5 3570K | Antec Kuhler 620 | 2x8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport 1600 | 128GB Intel 330 SSD | 16x Lite-On DVD-R/RW | eVGA GeForce GTX 970 ACX 2.0+ | Asus Xonar DGX | Corsair CX750M | Westinghouse 50" 1080P | Windows 10 Pro
File Server - NZXT Classic Series Source 210 | ASRock 970A-G/3.1 | AMD FX-8320E Black Edition | 2x4GB Crucial Ballistix Sport 1333 | 128GB Samsung 830 | 4x2TB HGST UlstraStar | Sapphire Radeon HD 6870 | Thermaltake TR2 RX 750W | Windows Server 2012 R2 Datacenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hapatingjaky View Post
I play a medic in TF2 so I think I know a little bit about diagnosing disease. Plus I watched a lot of House.
Shadowless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2018, 02:35 PM   #11
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowless View Post
I can't believe Im the first one to suggest the 2nd gen Ridgeline. you can get a 2018 2WD Ridgeline Sport with a cpl options for $34K new.
Ridgelines look awful, nope.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 03:14 PM   #12
switchAMG
FCK TRMP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
Ridgelines look awful, nope.
Ridgeline looks horrible but its probably the best small truck out there unless you actually need a proper 4x4 like a Tacoma or a Canyon.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 03:43 PM   #13
CurrentlyPissed
Mad, not drunk.

CurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled with

Quote:
Ridgeline looks horrible but its probably the best small truck out there unless you actually need a proper 4x4 like a Tacoma or a Canyon.
Switch those Raptor Rangers are coming to NA shortly.
Quote:
An arrow can only be shot by pulling it back. Remember when life is dragging you back, you are just moments away from springing forward.

So keep aiming.

-Interwebz
CurrentlyPissed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2018, 03:45 PM   #14
switchAMG
FCK TRMP

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurrentlyPissed View Post
Switch those Raptor Rangers are coming to NA shortly.
Yea looks sweet

https://theawesomer.com/ford-ranger-raptor/465204/
Old Feb 8, 2018, 03:49 PM   #15
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
I agree, just can't buy a retarded minivan El Camino mashup.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 04:11 PM   #16
Munkus
Hugged your dog lately?

Munkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation

Quote:
Yeah, Toyota has made no progress on MPGs for the Tacoma and Tundra lines in the past few decades. No idea why they haven't applied variable displacement tech to boost the highway mileage. I'm sure they have their reasons...but dayum!
Old Feb 8, 2018, 04:24 PM   #17
switchAMG
FCK TRMP

Quote:
I agree, just can't buy a retarded minivan El Camino mashup.
I couldn't either buddy.

Quote:
Yeah, Toyota has made no progress on MPGs for the Tacoma and Tundra lines in the past few decades. No idea why they haven't applied variable displacement tech to boost the highway mileage. I'm sure they have their reasons...but dayum!
Was the big reason I switched from my Tundra to a domestic -- zero progress in their engines and it wouldn't be a big deal of the mileage wasn't so bad.

I went from a 5.7 Tundra to a big 6.2 Sierra with piles more power and gained gas mileage!

Not to mention Toyota is extremely far behind the big three when it comes to technology in the cab. The Toyota's UI's look forced and sloppy when compared to the others.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 04:33 PM   #18
Greasy
Raiding Curio's Stable

Greasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

The interior on the new RAM is fantastic on the higher end models. Not sure how well that will scale down to the lower trims though.
Greasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2018, 04:47 PM   #19
Munkus
Hugged your dog lately?

Quote:
Was the big reason I switched from my Tundra to a domestic -- zero progress in their engines and it wouldn't be a big deal of the mileage wasn't so bad.

I went from a 5.7 Tundra to a big 6.2 Sierra with piles more power and gained gas mileage!

Not to mention Toyota is extremely far behind the big three when it comes to technology in the cab. The Toyota's UI's look forced and sloppy when compared to the others.
We bought the 4Runner largely because of Toyota's reliability (have a Sienna and a Prius as well), but I completely agree with this. I test drove a 2017 Chevy Tahoe and Ford Expedition last summer, and was really impressed by the infotainment setups. My 4Runner's setup looks like something out of 2010 by comparison. My wife is a Toyota fangirl, so I had little say in the matter.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 04:52 PM   #20
switchAMG
FCK TRMP

Quote:
We bought the 4Runner largely because of Toyota's reliability (have a Sienna and a Prius as well), but I completely agree with this. I test drove a 2017 Chevy Tahoe and Ford Expedition last summer, and was really impressed by the infotainment setups. My 4Runner's setup looks like something out of 2010 by comparison. My wife is a Toyota fangirl, so I had little say in the matter.
Yep, totally agree. I really want back into a Tundra -- even looked at them last week and the interior tech still looks the same as it did in my 2010!

My 2014 GMC is paid off this summer, seriously considering going to a Ford.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 05:32 PM   #21
Sasquach
2/10 will not bang

Toyota's pretty slow with tech, I think partially its cuz they seem to stick with their own proprietary UI systems (Enform/Entune). Of course their stuff lasts a helluva long time so they probably follow that 'if it aint broke, don't fix it' mantra more often than not.

I also get the feeling Toyota wants to push the limits of certain things before throwing a bunch of technology at it.
They don't have a variable displacement system, They haven't really rolled out start/stop in everything and doesn't look like its really coming all that fast, Took em awhile to get direct injection across the line, Variable Valve lift hasnt gone beyond 2 different engines (the old VTEC on/off version with the 2zz-GE motor, and the more current valvematic system in the not-available-in-everything 1.8L 2ZR motor) but they are pushing forward with the psusdo Atkinson cycle.
Heck look how long its taken them to jump on the turbo bandwagon (which to be fair is an illusion of greater MPG. It gains from the smaller displacement and newer tech but plummets once those turbos get worked)
Their turbo 4 banger came out with the Lexus NX (and it is based on AR motor, and not that 2.5L dynamic force one in the new camry)
The twin turbo 6 (base on the new 3.5L V6) is coming out THIS year (New Lexus LS)
nothing on the mainstream cars. I think they have some smaller turbo 4 bangers but for the overseas market....why don't they bring them to north America?

Their engine lineup is only starting to get updated and that's after like (in the GR V6 case) 10+ years of operation.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 06:52 PM   #22
Shadowless
Deez Nuts

Shadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Yep, totally agree. I really want back into a Tundra -- even looked at them last week and the interior tech still looks the same as it did in my 2010!

My 2014 GMC is paid off this summer, seriously considering going to a Ford.
My brother has SYNC 3 in his 2017 Explorer and it's sooooo nice.
Desktop - Corsair Carbide SPEC-02 Redshift | ASUS ROG Crosshair VI Hero | AMD Ryzen 7 1700X | Hyper 212 EVO | 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200 | 512GB Intel 660p | 2TB Seagate 7200.12 | 16x LG BD-Burner | MSI Armor OC GeForce GTX 1080 | Tt ToughPower Grand RGB 750w | Acer ET322QU | Windows 10 Pro
HTPC - Fractal Design Define R4 | ASRock Z77 Extreme4 | Intel Core i5 3570K | Antec Kuhler 620 | 2x8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport 1600 | 128GB Intel 330 SSD | 16x Lite-On DVD-R/RW | eVGA GeForce GTX 970 ACX 2.0+ | Asus Xonar DGX | Corsair CX750M | Westinghouse 50" 1080P | Windows 10 Pro
File Server - NZXT Classic Series Source 210 | ASRock 970A-G/3.1 | AMD FX-8320E Black Edition | 2x4GB Crucial Ballistix Sport 1333 | 128GB Samsung 830 | 4x2TB HGST UlstraStar | Sapphire Radeon HD 6870 | Thermaltake TR2 RX 750W | Windows Server 2012 R2 Datacenter

Quote:
I play a medic in TF2 so I think I know a little bit about diagnosing disease. Plus I watched a lot of House.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 08:04 PM   #23
switchAMG
FCK TRMP

Quote:
My brother has SYNC 3 in his 2017 Explorer and it's sooooo nice.
Yea man, easily the nicest systems of all the trucks.

Not a huge fan of the GMC system but its 100x better than Toyota's ugly setup.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 08:53 PM   #24
CurrentlyPissed
Mad, not drunk.

CurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled with

Sync 3 is amazing, had it in my Focus ST. Every car needs that system. Which is weird to say that, considering how god awful Sync 1, and 2 were. Props to Ford for sticking through it.
Quote:
An arrow can only be shot by pulling it back. Remember when life is dragging you back, you are just moments away from springing forward.

So keep aiming.

-Interwebz
CurrentlyPissed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2018, 08:09 AM   #25
Shadowless
Deez Nuts

Quote:
Yea man, easily the nicest systems of all the trucks.

Not a huge fan of the GMC system but its 100x better than Toyota's ugly setup.
MyLink is decent enough, especially since it's GM's first real attempt at a true infotainment system. My youngest brother's Solara had the same infotainment system as your Tundra and it was pretty lame.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurrentlyPissed View Post
Sync 3 is amazing, had it in my Focus ST. Every car needs that system. Which is weird to say that, considering how god awful Sync 1, and 2 were. Props to Ford for sticking through it.
My mom has Sync 2 in her 2015 Explorer and I can't believe how far behind it is.

Quote:
Old Feb 9, 2018, 09:39 AM   #26
Sasquach
2/10 will not bang

Call me old school but I honestly don't give a crap about these infotainment systems.

just give me knobs/buttons for radio, HVAC and a screen for navigation.

don't need all that fancy schmancy app stuff.
I mean hell I don't even use my idrive much beyond radio controls (preset stations) and the odd nav address input.
Old Feb 9, 2018, 09:40 AM   #27
Elysian
SCAATSJW

I think I may go by the Nissan dealer tonight, just have a look. The dealer with the diesel Canyons is way up north, so more of a weekend trip.
Old Feb 9, 2018, 10:52 AM   #28
Shadowless
Deez Nuts

Quote:
I think I may go by the Nissan dealer tonight, just have a look. The dealer with the diesel Canyons is way up north, so more of a weekend trip.
I love how the Frontiers look from the outside, but the interior is so 2005.

Quote:
Old Feb 9, 2018, 11:06 AM   #29
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
I love how the Frontiers look from the outside, but the interior is so 2005.
Wow, hadn't looked it up, but you're not kidding
Old Feb 9, 2018, 11:40 AM   #30
Shadowless
Deez Nuts

Quote:
Wow, hadn't looked it up, but you're not kidding
It's terrible. My stepmom had a 2007 Murano and it's like all the same ****.

Quote: