Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

Old May 18, 2004, 12:48 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
dsherman
Playboy

dsherman is still being judged by the masses

Default More AMD News, RIP-Duron , more dual core info

First more Dual core links

http://www.anandtech.com/news/shownews.html?i=22192

http://www.infoworld.com/article/04/...ualcore_1.html

------------------------------------
The Direct Connect architecture used to build the Opteron processor makes it easy for AMD's designers to place two processor cores on the same silicon die, said Ben Williams, vice president of AMD's server and workstation business. Opteron features an integrated memory controller and Hypertransport interconnects that can connect the processor to the I/O port or directly to another processor, he said.
---------------------------------------

Goodbye duron, Hello "Value"

http://www.anandtech.com/cpu/showdoc.html?i=2056

-------------------------------------
According to the roadmap, the new processor will essentially replace the Athlon XP for Socket 754 which has been talked about in roadmaps before this one today. AMD's new move to specifically market to and target low end "Value" sector seems contradictory to the same roadmap which prints a study claiming the sub-$600 PC market does not particularly regard processor brand as important. AMD sounds fairly aggressive with the initiative to outpace Celeron D (Prescott based Celeron, 512KB L2 cache 533MHz FSB) which will already surface this week.
---------------------------------------

Looks like Athlon XP 2600+ to 3200+ are going to be rebranded value. Also 32 bit socket 754 and socket 939 chips will come out also branded value. This is awesome, we all know that even the existing duron's are faster then the fastest intel celeron and the Athlon xp's are even faster then then the durons(http://www.anandtech.com/cpu/showdoc.html?i=1927&p=12), so what better stratigy then to have the XP's take over where the duron left off, and to bring it to all sockets to boot. Looks like socket A and socket 754 may be around a little longer. also looks like optoron (probubly Athlon 64 fx's as well) were built so they could do dual core inthe future(at least thats what i got out of it let me know if I am wrong). No wonder intel is shakeing in there boots, Dual 64bit cores, nice. I don't know much of intels plans but i am gussing that there dual core would be 32 bit dual 32 bit cores, and that technology was still in developement, where AMD has been planning it all along. tejas was supposed to be next, I think that was scrapped, can anyone confirm if intel socket 775 and tejas was completely scraped or was it just the tejas and socket 775 will be for prescotts. I am not trying to be an AMD fanboy, intel is still good product, I just love to see these 2 companies go back and forth and try and beat each other out.
ATI HD 3200

Optorite 52x24x52 cd/rw drive,Optorite DD1205 12xDL DVD+-RRW
ASUS DVD for Lightscribe
Canon Du120F scanner and Canon I960 photo printer
Hanns G 19" LCD
Altec Lansing 120 speakers
dsherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2004, 03:55 PM   #2
DarkSyde
Rage3D Veteran

DarkSyde is still being judged by the masses

AWESOME!

64bit is nice to have but until it is actually used, I'd rather just get a 32bit 'equivalent' and save some cash. Then I can get a 64bit CPU later on and not even need a new motherboard!
DarkSyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2004, 04:27 PM   #3
Shapeshifter
Radeon Arctic Islands

Shapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Ok from what I gather.

Socket A is not dead now then?

So basically amd is going to take the xp line and keep it going (but remarket them as vavlue ended parts) esientally kicking the duron out and moving the xp to its position.

Well thats good news for socket A owners.

Do you think most socket A mobos will be able to support the new xps? probably just a bios update id imagine...

or do you think they will want to revamp the xp all over again (new core?) or mabye just kicking the fsb up on them past 400mhz?

Rage3d is the BEST forum!! There are alot of smart people on here!! -phexus
Shapeshifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old May 18, 2004, 04:42 PM   #4
dsherman
Playboy

dsherman is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally posted by Shapeshifter
Ok from what I gather.

Socket A is not dead now then?

So basically amd is going to take the xp line and keep it going (but remarket them as vavlue ended parts) esientally kicking the duron out and moving the xp to its position.

Well thats good news for socket A owners.

Do you think most socket A mobos will be able to support the new xps? probably just a bios update id imagine...

or do you think they will want to revamp the xp all over again (new core?) or mabye just kicking the fsb up on them past 400mhz?
from what I gather anything above the Athlon XP 3200+ will then go to Socket 754, socket 754 will have Athlon XP 32bit chips with integrated mem controller(basicially Athlon 64 but only 32 bits) and current Athlon 64 single channel chips that are out now. Socket 939 will have Athlon xp chips that are 32bit integrated mem controller dual channel. I don't know if there is an official name for the chips anandtech called it "value"

so "Value" is(shown on anandtech's site)

Value 260 Athlon XP 2600+ socket A
Value 270 Athlon XP 2700+ socket A
Value 280 Athlon xp 2800+ socket A
Value 300 Athlon xp 3000+ socket A
Value 320 Athlon xp 3200+ socket A
Value 320 Probubly something like the Athlon 64 3200+ that is only 32 bits not 64
Value 340 32bit socket 939 most likely a dual channel of socket 754 Value 320
Value 350 Socket 754 probubly something like a Atlon 64 3400+ or 3700+ but 32 bits only
Value 370 socket 939 most likely a dual channel version of value 350

If 64 bit takes off I am guessing that they will eventually make value 64bit chips. in any case i am glad to see AMD not toss socket A and Socket 754 out the windows.
ATI HD 3200

Optorite 52x24x52 cd/rw drive,Optorite DD1205 12xDL DVD+-RRW
ASUS DVD for Lightscribe
Canon Du120F scanner and Canon I960 photo printer
Hanns G 19" LCD
Altec Lansing 120 speakers
dsherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2004, 01:37 AM   #5
dark_preacher
Radeon Arctic Islands

Location: United States i'm no hero. never was. never will be.
dark_preacher is still being judged by the masses

so how does this effect socket 939 as a whole.

so now the socket 753 and 939 mobo's will come in a 32 bit and 64 bit flavour?
Old May 19, 2004, 01:38 AM   #6
dark_preacher
Radeon Arctic Islands

Location: United States i'm no hero. never was. never will be.
dark_preacher is still being judged by the masses

so how does this effect socket 939 as a whole.

so now the socket 754 and 939 mobo's will come in a 32 bit and 64 bit flavour?

seems like amd is putting to many chip variations out. i think they should keep socket a alive and migrate all the high end to socket 939. get rid of 754 and 940- or whatever the fx is.
Old May 19, 2004, 02:52 AM   #7
Woodgypsy
Whiney Supersnob

Woodgypsy can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyWoodgypsy can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Wow- these are really fast CPU for "value"- likely more than half the speed of "Top CPU of year2004"- pretty impressive consdiering how slow some of current "value" CPU are, and can be good news for all PC users. A shame that most makers will keep using Cerelons..
Woodgypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2004, 05:45 AM   #8
squid
Cute

squid knows why the caged bird singssquid knows why the caged bird singssquid knows why the caged bird singssquid knows why the caged bird singssquid knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally posted by Woodgypsy
Wow- these are really fast CPU for "value"- likely more than half the speed of "Top CPU of year2004"- pretty impressive consdiering how slow some of current "value" CPU are, and can be good news for all PC users. A shame that most makers will keep using Cerelons..
celerons are crap, but maybe they will do a bit better with the bigger cache now
squid is offline   Reply With Quote