Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

Old Nov 23, 2020, 12:55 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
metroidfox
dAMD fanATical nVidiot

metroidfox can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultymetroidfox can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Default PC Cooling

Want to understand your thoughts on cooling by testing something extreme.

Here's the scenario:
  • at your normal room temperature
  • run CPU-Z's CPU benchmark + Furmark's GPU stress test at the same time to generate 100% heat from both
  • run for at least 30 minutes
Would you expect your processor to maintain its clock speed throughout this test?

If you try this now on your computer, do your components throttle clock speeds?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pr()ZaC
Spyre, I told you before! I won't let you have mensechs with metroidfox nor give you the secret address to the admins p0rn server! :drool:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Villainess
:lol: @ sig ............ now get me OUTTA THERE!! :mad:
metroidfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2020, 06:37 AM   #2
KAC
RGB mofo, do you have it!

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

GPU definitely throttles.
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2020, 07:15 PM   #3
Roadhog
Sausages

Roadhog can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyRoadhog can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Nothing throttles, fans barely ramp up. Yay watercooling.
Roadhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Nov 23, 2020, 09:10 PM   #4
metroidfox
dAMD fanATical nVidiot

metroidfox can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultymetroidfox can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Yeah, I think the biggest advantage that water cooling has is that it feeds off of the cooler air outside your case. Not sure why we can't get some copper heatsinks that do the same thing.

My 3080 is just a few cm from my evo 212 (which has a TDP of 180 W btw), but it only starts to ramp its fans up to the max at 83 centigrade. Which means the air starts at 80 C to cool my processor. Not good.

When the 3080 is idle, my processor has no issues maintaining clocks beyond base indefinitely. All while staying at 50 C.
Quote:
Spyre, I told you before! I won't let you have mensechs with metroidfox nor give you the secret address to the admins p0rn server! :drool:
Quote:

Last edited by metroidfox : Nov 23, 2020 at 09:20 PM.
Old Nov 23, 2020, 11:28 PM   #5
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

caveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by metroidfox View Post
Yeah, I think the biggest advantage that water cooling has is that it feeds off of the cooler air outside your case. Not sure why we can't get some copper heatsinks that do the same thing.
heatpipe dry out.

BTW I work with ICEGIANT.
caveman-jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2020, 03:38 AM   #6
andino
Radeon Arctic Islands

andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadhog View Post
Nothing throttles, fans barely ramp up. Yay watercooling.
Same.

I have 2 1080ti hybrids and a NZXT X52 Kraken on my 9900k @ 5.0.

After 30 minutes I was at 80c on the 9900k and 62c on the top 1080ti.

Fans were set to silent and were maybe at 50%.
andino is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2020, 03:45 AM   #7
andino
Radeon Arctic Islands

andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by caveman-jim View Post
heatpipe dry out.

BTW I work with ICEGIANT.
I have thought long and hard about trying an Icegiant. The concept for the cooler is outstanding. I love the fact that the only running parts to the 'pump' system is the fans themselves. Plus that 10 year warranty is really really nice.

I think that my next computer experiment will be with a full water loop though. I know it's double the price but I want to be able to add a 3080ti or equivalent GPU to the loop when they become available. Also, I'm becoming stir-crazy and need to get my mind off of everything outside of my house for a while. This might just give me that escape.

BTW, congrats on the job and it's really nice to see you posting more!
andino is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2020, 04:05 AM   #8
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Subscriber

CPU and GPU both peaked at 75c. The system was quiet... Till the Fury flared up about 5/10min in. This card is kinda loud. No throttling

System:
Gigabyte Z87X D3H - Intel i5 4670k @ 4.2Ghz - CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Black RGB - 16Gb Kingston HyperX Black DDR3-1600 - Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD±RW - Samsung 850 Evo 250Gib - 4TiB Seagate - Asus Radeon R9 Fury STRIX - Creative AE-5 Plus - Windows 10 64-bit
Trunks0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2020, 01:27 PM   #9
metroidfox
dAMD fanATical nVidiot

I think I understand what's happening. My case is tiny, and I never expected to have a 320 W monster graphics card in there generating heat. Eventually my CPU heatsink also absorbs the graphics card heat, but it is not being evacuated fast enough by the case.

So in perhaps as an overkill solution, I am acquiring one of these monsters https://noctua.at/en/nf-a14-industrialppc-3000-pwm

If 289 m^3/hr of air moved is not enough, then I'm done for.
Quote:
Quote:
Old Dec 2, 2020, 01:37 PM   #10
Roadhog
Sausages

Roadhog can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyRoadhog can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
I think I understand what's happening. My case is tiny, and I never expected to have a 320 W monster graphics card in there generating heat. Eventually my CPU heatsink also absorbs the graphics card heat, but it is not being evacuated fast enough by the case.

So in perhaps as an overkill solution, I am acquiring one of these monsters https://noctua.at/en/nf-a14-industrialppc-3000-pwm

If 289 m^3/hr of air moved is not enough, then I'm done for.
Oh boy.... I have one of those kicking around... Prepare to go deaf.
Old Dec 2, 2020, 02:41 PM   #11
metroidfox
dAMD fanATical nVidiot

I'm hoping I don't need anywhere near that much power. If not, and if it's still too loud, I may replace it with a quieter model.
Quote:
Quote:
Old Dec 2, 2020, 02:46 PM   #12
NWR_Midnight
Radeon Caribbean Islands

NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Oh boy.... I have one of those kicking around... Prepare to go deaf.
Agreed. All of my 140mm are the 2000 RPM versions. they run at about 1k (custom loop) unless stress testing or heavy gaming.. heaving gaming they might go up to 1300 rpm based on liquid temp, but that is usually when my room gets warm and I haven't turned on the AC, or I have been lazy and haven't cleaned the filters and/or blown out the fans/radiators in a while. they are hella loud if ran at 2k, and that is in a Define R5 case which has sound deadener built into the panels. I can only imagine what the 3k version would do.

On a note of adding/replacing fans in your case metroidfox, You want to make sure you have good airflow thru the case and not try not to block the flow such as cables being in the way, or even to many hard drives can cause cooling problems because there is no air movement as the cables/hard drives, etc block the flow of air. You also want to try to have equal amounts of air flowing into the case as blown out. But some run a positive air flow where they blow more into the case than blowing out to help eliminate dust inside. So if you are going to get one of those bad boy fans, for taking the hot air out of your case, you also want one to blow the air into the case or you will have a negative air flow, causing a serious problem with dust collecting inside the case as it will suck air into the case from every gap and holes in the case plugging up your heatsinks etc.

~I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability. ~ Ron White
~You can't fix Stupid! ~ Ron White
~There's not a pill you can take; there's not a class you can go to. - ~Stupid is forever. ~ Ron White
~Life is a hard teacher, it gives you the test before it teaches you the lesson.
~It's never to late to have a good childhood! The older you are, the better the toys! ~ My Dad
~Live everyday as though it is your last, it can all end at any moment!

Last edited by NWR_Midnight : Dec 2, 2020 at 05:19 PM.
NWR_Midnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2020, 02:51 PM   #13
Roadhog
Sausages

Quote:
I'm hoping I don't need anywhere near that much power. If not, and if it's still too loud, I may replace it with a quieter model.
Well what exactly are you trying to accomplish here? If stuff isn't throttling your temps are fine. I will trade higher temps for lower noise ANY day. You don't need to try and keep your cpu and gpu under 60c. There's no point in fighting for those 2c lower temps if that means putting a dust buster in your pc. haha
Old Dec 2, 2020, 02:56 PM   #14
metroidfox
dAMD fanATical nVidiot

The case gets really, really hot, and I wanted to fix that. I've more than likely gone overkill, but we'll see.

The card will hit the lower 80s in centigrade, and at after enough time you can see the sustained rate drop on the 5800X. While it's constantly above 4 Ghz, I think the 5800X can also do 4.5 Ghz indefinitely on all cores.
Quote:
Quote:
Old Dec 2, 2020, 03:16 PM   #15
Roadhog
Sausages

Quote:
The case gets really, really hot, and I wanted to fix that. I've more than likely gone overkill, but we'll see.

The card will hit the lower 80s in centigrade, and at after enough time you can see the sustained rate drop on the 5800X. While it's constantly above 4 Ghz, I think the 5800X can also do 4.5 Ghz indefinitely on all cores.
What temps are we talking for case and CPU? 80C on an air cooled gpu isn't bad.
Old Dec 2, 2020, 03:35 PM   #16
metroidfox
dAMD fanATical nVidiot

The 5800X regularly hits 90C, which means it probably is throttling. Though I don't really see it from the clockspeeds because they are way higher than what the advertised base speed of 3.8 Ghz is.

The gradual decline over the course of 30 minutes-1 hour suggests to me that thermal throttling is sort of occurring though. If I stop maxing the 3080's TDP, clocks will rise again. => I may be on the edge of thermal performance with my current fans. The Noctua would simply be added to them.

I just didn't see the point in going for the $26 normal PC part when I can get so much more cooling performance, and have it run at a lower speed. Besides, having a powerful exhaust fan doesn't seem like that bad an idea to me.

Also, pretty sure that in no circumstances should my case be that hot to touch. It's definitely at the point of not being comfortable.
Quote:
Quote:

Last edited by metroidfox : Dec 2, 2020 at 03:41 PM.
Old Dec 2, 2020, 03:57 PM   #17
Roadhog
Sausages

What do you have for a cpu cooler? Nothing against having good case airflow.

What case do you have too?
Old Dec 2, 2020, 04:29 PM   #18
Nascar24
EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra

Nascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwards

Speaking of cooling, I had EVGA send me out a new fan for my CPU AIO which they gladly did but they sent me the wrong one! Glad I put the order in for 3 new Noctua's that will be here any min. today.
Nascar24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2020, 04:47 PM   #19
metroidfox
dAMD fanATical nVidiot

Quote:
What do you have for a cpu cooler? Nothing against having good case airflow.

What case do you have too?
212 Evo, but I can only position it blowing hot air at the 3080, or taking in air from it. Currently set to blow air at the 3080. Case is a Bitfenix Prodigy M, so very tight.

The Noctua will be to the side of the 212 Evo, and just below the 3080. Figure it will do better than my current generic 120mm fan at clearing that hotspot. The existing 120mm fan will join the other one at the bottom of the case, blowing air into it.

As it stands, the 212 Evo fan is the loudest in the case, but it too is apparently quite beefy, so just want to help it out a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nascar24 View Post
Speaking of cooling, I had EVGA send me out a new fan for my CPU AIO which they gladly did but they sent me the wrong one! Glad I put the order in for 3 new Noctua's that will be here any min. today.

Which ones did you get?
Quote:
Quote:
Old Dec 2, 2020, 04:47 PM   #20
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nascar24 View Post
The EVGA fans on the AIO are poopy. I hope you got some Noctua A12x25s for that bad boy
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2020, 04:55 PM   #21
Roadhog
Sausages

Quote:
212 Evo, but I can only position it blowing hot air at the 3080, or taking in air from it. Currently set to blow air at the 3080. Case is a Bitfenix Prodigy M, so very tight.

The Noctua will be to the side of the 212 Evo, and just below the 3080. Figure it will do better than my current generic 120mm fan at clearing that hotspot. The existing 120mm fan will join the other one at the bottom of the case, blowing air into it.
Oh wow that case does not look like it has good airflow at all!
Old Dec 2, 2020, 05:03 PM   #22
metroidfox
dAMD fanATical nVidiot

It is very concentrated, and was a giant pain to build. My hands have cuts from the damn cooler. Thankfully it has a tonne of fan slots, and can take fairly sizeable ones.

I could either add two more fans to the top of the case (would only help the GPU), or replace the provided 120mm ones with some beefier ones/go 200mm if I wanted.

As a funny side note, I have a Vornado room fan that I pointed down onto the top of the case onto the 3080 (with the case mesh still on). Temperatures max out well below 70 Centigrade at full TDP, but does nothing for the processor.

So yeah, that's why I want an industrial fan next to my CPU.
Quote:
Quote:
Old Dec 2, 2020, 05:51 PM   #23
Nascar24
EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra

Nascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunz View Post
The EVGA fans on the AIO are poopy. I hope you got some Noctua A12x25s for that bad boy
I ended up getting 3 of these....

Noctua NF-F12 PWM chromax.black.swap

Just installed them, Already much quieter.

The EVGA fans didn't cool bad as the Temps are not all that different, they just needed alot more RPM's to do it. The EVGA's were a 2400 RPM Max and the one I wanted to replace would start whining at 1600RPM. The Noctua's run anywhere between 500 and 1500RPM Max. Was also surprised that Microcenter scalps on these things. Same fan in the brown scheme from them they charge $35 a fan, everyone else that isn't scalping is charging $22.90.

Last edited by Nascar24 : Dec 2, 2020 at 07:44 PM.
Old Dec 2, 2020, 07:37 PM   #24
Nascar24
EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra

Quote:
The 5800X regularly hits 90C, which means it probably is throttling. Though I don't really see it from the clockspeeds because they are way higher than what the advertised base speed of 3.8 Ghz is.

The gradual decline over the course of 30 minutes-1 hour suggests to me that thermal throttling is sort of occurring though. If I stop maxing the 3080's TDP, clocks will rise again. => I may be on the edge of thermal performance with my current fans. The Noctua would simply be added to them.

I just didn't see the point in going for the $26 normal PC part when I can get so much more cooling performance, and have it run at a lower speed. Besides, having a powerful exhaust fan doesn't seem like that bad an idea to me.

Also, pretty sure that in no circumstances should my case be that hot to touch. It's definitely at the point of not being comfortable.
I was hearing these CPU's ran hot and 90C was ok, my 5900X with my AIO usually peaks at about 75C. Which I'm surprised as my 3080 runs hot at 77 to 80C during load.
Old Dec 9, 2020, 06:56 PM   #25
metroidfox
dAMD fanATical nVidiot

It's a loud'un, but my 3080 never exceeds 70 Centigrade any more.

The 5800X still loves maxing out at 90C, and the friggin' Noctua is right next to it. So I can only assume it loves 90C.
Quote:
Quote:
Old Dec 12, 2020, 04:58 AM   #26
KAC
RGB mofo, do you have it!

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

You really need a 280/360 AIO for these AMD chips. Anything else seems insufficient.
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote