Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

Old Mar 11, 2013, 05:36 PM   #61
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Razeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdelphiaX View Post
Damn man, you just got done posting about marketing (re: HTC), that's why.

If the posted pic is actually it, I like the small amount of bezel on the sides but I'm not sure if I could tell the difference between it and the S3.
That doesn't mean HTC will. I expect them to step it up after the S4 event, but even then, where's their tag line for everyone to remember? Where's their instore promotions and card board cut outs? Where are the TV commercials? HTC has serious work to do. Not to mention the One has been delayed by a week or so which gives Samsung a wide open door to do their event and steal the pre-orders, leaving HTC with a WTF face. Again, the Verizon phone is no where to be found. I'm not sure that the hang up with that is, but they need Verizon.
Razeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2013, 07:24 PM   #62
AdelphiaX
Radeon Caribbean Islands

AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razeus View Post
That doesn't mean HTC will. I expect them to step it up after the S4 event, but even then, where's their tag line for everyone to remember? Where's their instore promotions and card board cut outs? Where are the TV commercials? HTC has serious work to do. Not to mention the One has been delayed by a week or so which gives Samsung a wide open door to do their event and steal the pre-orders, leaving HTC with a WTF face. Again, the Verizon phone is no where to be found. I'm not sure that the hang up with that is, but they need Verizon.

Not talking HTC, talking Samsung.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 07:36 PM   #63
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Sazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Ya, Samsung must save alot but doing these plastic bodies. Samsung simply has a superior marketing budget, something HTC needs to do and cough up the cash if they want to survive. Losing more than half your market share, even though you cranked out the phones left and right, in one year is simply bad strategy.

I'm not sure why HTC felt the need to have so many phones in 2012, but it obviously didn't help them. The HTC One not on Verizon is going to hurt them. I would go Samsung too just because going with HTC for 2 years on contract is just too risky.
Samsung said they go with plastic for specific reasons, such as the flexibility and durability offered for folks who are replacing batteries and using SD cards, for example.

I prefer the HTC One myself, but the fact is Samsung has far better support for their devices and their devices are going to be released universally.
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Mar 11, 2013, 09:44 PM   #64
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

HTC is down there with Moto in market share now, right in the dumper.
Elysian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2013, 10:28 PM   #65
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Razeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
HTC is down there with Moto in market share now, right in the dumper.
Damn shame too. hTC always had the better phones.
Old Mar 12, 2013, 09:37 AM   #66
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Reading reviews on the HTC One and the Xperia Z. The lack of camera IQ is a deal breaker on both of these models. I think this feature along is what makes the Samsung S4 the better buy.
Old Mar 12, 2013, 02:21 PM   #67
somewon
Rage3D Veteran

somewon is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Damn man, you just got done posting about marketing (re: HTC), that's why.

If the posted pic is actually it, I like the small amount of bezel on the sides but I'm not sure if I could tell the difference between it and the S3.
That pic actually looks more like a Note 2.

The difference may not be perceptible to the less discerning eye, but the Note 2 has less bezel on the bottom than the S3.
somewon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2013, 02:56 PM   #68
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

I think the real key is how face Samsung and HTC can get Key Lime pie updated on their flagship models. Awkward timing for the Android camp.
Old Mar 13, 2013, 12:34 AM   #69
Spyhawk
Radeon Evergreen

Spyhawk is still being judged by the masses

Quote:

I like the looks of the HTC One better. I just fear HTC One would not get any marketing love for their flagship model. In fact, it seems it's dropped off the radar. Hopefully they get in gear as Samsung reveals and launches or HTC One will be forgotten about. This is HTC's last chance.
Omg I hope it doesn't end up looking like that. Its not that its terribly ugly but its not great looking either for a flagship phone.
Spyhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2013, 04:44 AM   #70
Apocalypsee
Radeon Volcanic Islands

Apocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

I hate the design of any Samsung phones, and the cheap plastic makes it worse. I would rather spend my money on HTC One, or any other 5" FullHD display phone for that matter (HTC Butterfly/Droid DNA, Sony Xperia Z/ZL etc.)
If 3 fans left the station at 10:30am cooling at a temp of 63c and one fan was derailed by a stray sata cable on the track, how long would it take all 3 fans to get on Seyiji's last nerve?

(a) Mmmm donuts
(b) 70c
(c) Hey there muscly arms, why the long face?
(d) Must use fire.
Apocalypsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2013, 09:27 AM   #71
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

It's like you can't win with Android. Either get the popular, well supported phone that's made of plastic, or get the better built phone that may be abandoned by its maker.

edit: now Samsung is getting ridiculous.
http://mashable.com/2013/03/13/galaxy-s-iv-flash-mob/

I can't link the YouTube's from work so someone else do the honors.

Last edited by Razeus : Mar 13, 2013 at 09:42 AM.
Old Mar 13, 2013, 09:45 AM   #72
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Sazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyhawk View Post
Omg I hope it doesn't end up looking like that. Its not that its terribly ugly but its not great looking either for a flagship phone.
So, even if the actual phone rocks, because the back is plastic (design decision to allow removable cover for battery/SD card replacement), you won't buy it?

Interesting

A fair number of users slap their phones into cases anyways. Because they look SOOOO good, they shatter or scratch up like crazy.
Old Mar 13, 2013, 09:59 AM   #73
nycdarkness
ಠ_ಠ

nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Well the US version will be packing the snapdragon quad core.

nycdarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2013, 10:02 AM   #74
AdelphiaX
Radeon Caribbean Islands

AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

I really get the sense that Samsung is gonna epic fail with this and a year from now, we're all going to look back at this thinking, wow, I can't believe Samsung is bumbling this bad.

Wonder if the S3 will become known as their one hit wonder, so to speak.
Old Mar 13, 2013, 10:03 AM   #75
nycdarkness
ಠ_ಠ

nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
I really get the sense that Samsung is gonna epic fail with this and a year from now, we're all going to look back at this thinking, wow, I can't believe Samsung is bumbling this bad.

well the note 3 will prolly pack the 8 core for US versions. It would be a total fail if the US versions did get the snap dragon. It would make it hardware wise almost identical to the HTC one.

Old Mar 13, 2013, 10:12 AM   #76
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:

Yah, let's disregard the S2, the Note, the Note 2, the Tab (and it's variants).

Nope, S3, totally 1 hit wonder
Old Mar 13, 2013, 10:23 AM   #77
Apocalypsee
Radeon Volcanic Islands

Apocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

No I believe no matter how crap I (we?) think this will fail, it will sell well. In my country at least, most Chinese people are either getting iPhones or S3/Note2 and so followed by others, especially young girls.

It doesn't matter if they fit 5MP or 50MP camera in there, it doesn't matter if they fit dual, quads or octa core CPU in there. As long as the name starts from Samsung Galaxy whatever it will sell, heck S2 still very expensive here. And bajillion accessories spawn for them as well, catering girly girl to gayly gay. All the girls in my office don't even use the pen that comes with the Note 2 FFS, they just use the pone for texting and Whatsapp. And that makes me absolutely HATE Samsung phones and refuses to buy one, people buy for the sake of buying or following trends and knows s*** about what they buying.
If 3 fans left the station at 10:30am cooling at a temp of 63c and one fan was derailed by a stray sata cable on the track, how long would it take all 3 fans to get on Seyiji's last nerve?

(a) Mmmm donuts
(b) 70c
(c) Hey there muscly arms, why the long face?
(d) Must use fire.
Apocalypsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2013, 10:28 AM   #78
AdelphiaX
Radeon Caribbean Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sazar View Post

I really think it could be. I don't think the Note and Note 2 has really sold that well to the general market has it? It's known pretty well in variations of our crowds but has it really hit anywhere's else? With smartphone sales hitting the hundreds of millions, having a phone that sells 1 to 1.5 million even, isn't that big of a "hit". Especially when their S3 sold something upwards of 30 to 40 million or maybe more.

I think this year, companies will see diminishing returns on the ever increasing phone sizes and they'll start to shrink back down to 4.5" or so, just with less bezel.
Old Mar 13, 2013, 10:43 AM   #79
nycdarkness
ಠ_ಠ

Quote:
I really think it could be. I don't think the Note and Note 2 has really sold that well to the general market has it? It's known pretty well in variations of our crowds but has it really hit anywhere's else? With smartphone sales hitting the hundreds of millions, having a phone that sells 1 to 1.5 million even, isn't that big of a "hit". Especially when their S3 sold something upwards of 30 to 40 million or maybe more.

I think this year, companies will see diminishing returns on the ever increasing phone sizes and they'll start to shrink back down to 4.5" or so, just with less bezel.
Near 10 million sold for the note 2 isn't bad considering it's not exactly a phone marketed to everyone.

Old Mar 13, 2013, 10:45 AM   #80
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:

The Note and Note 2 are not "general market" products, and have sold brilliantly in the markets they ARE designed for.

Having sales of about 10 million for a non-general product is not bad at all.

Considering the experience we have seen with other products, I don't get your point.

Higher resolution (full 1080p) is bad? Better processor is bad? Better camera is bad? Keeping the positives such as SD slot and replaceable batter is bad? More colors is bad?

I don't get what you are implying here.
Old Mar 13, 2013, 10:57 AM   #81
AdelphiaX
Radeon Caribbean Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycdarkness View Post
Near 10 million sold for the note 2 isn't bad considering it's not exactly a phone marketed to everyone.
Quote:
The Note and Note 2 are not "general market" products, and have sold brilliantly in the markets they ARE designed for.

Having sales of about 10 million for a non-general product is not bad at all.
Well, there in kinda lies my point. I'm assuming that 10 million figure is a global number. If it's not for the general market, you can't pitch it as an "anti" one hit wonder retort. Do one hit wonders have other decent songs too? Probably but only for their niche crowd they are decent. A la, the Note(2). Which you guys just acknowledge that fact, proving my point.

For competition sake, I really hope the phone turns out looking better then what we've seen and clearly better then the artificial hoopla they're trying to build for it.

Sazar edited his post stating:

Quote:

Considering the experience we have seen with other products, I don't get your point.

Higher resolution (full 1080p) is bad? Better processor is bad? Better camera is bad? Keeping the positives such as SD slot and replaceable batter is bad? More colors is bad?

I don't get what you are implying here.
You don't get my point because I never said the above. Those are rhetorical questions you appear to be asking in response to my perception that I think sales of increasing phone sizes will show diminishing returns this year.

Last edited by AdelphiaX : Mar 13, 2013 at 11:01 AM.
AdelphiaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2013, 11:30 AM   #82
AdelphiaX
Radeon Caribbean Islands

Quote:
No, I got your point, I just thought it was ridiculous.

If the product is not innovative and the OS experience sucks, I can sort of see how there may be issues moving a lot of these phones. It didn't stop Apple moving lots of items however, so that's why I don't see how you are going to claim this will be a flash in the pan.
You state you get the point now after my example. In your earlier posts, you write you don't get the point. If you thought it was ridiculous, say that, you didn't initially.

I didnt' make any claims about anything.

Quote:
The GS2 sold over 50 million units IIRC.

If the phone doesn't innovate, it is going to a problem and is the only situation where it may not sell well. Otherwise I don't get why you would have any qualms for the phone selling well.
I don't have any qualms for the phone selling well, show me where I wrote that. The "leaked" photos of what the S4 could be are kind of ugly and I stated I wouldn't be able to tell a difference between it and the S3.

You're projecting quite a bit of your own thoughts into this then what I've actually written. You ignored/missed I wrote I hope it does well for competition's sake. My initial post that appears to have set some off was reflective. People are interjecting their own rhetoric like I was making statements of fact. I wrote things like "I get a sense" and "wonder".

Quote:
The screen is going to be proper HD (stepping up from 720p to 1080p). I don't see a need for this as 720p is more than enough, but hey, it's a check mark right?

The other features seem to be more the OS than the phone, but the GS is about the only Android phone that is sold across all networks, so there is that.
Agreed.
Old Mar 13, 2013, 12:08 PM   #83
AdelphiaX
Radeon Caribbean Islands

Quote:
I got what you were saying, I didn't get why you were saying what you were saying because it made no sense.
Just because you disagree with the thought of what it could be looked back on as, doesn't mean it doesn't make sense. This is a 'Now' culture and Samsung with phones is really known for the GS3. Another example, how many teenagers know AC/DC for the song Have a Drink on Me? Now how many know AC/DC because of Iron Man and 'Shoot to Thrill'? Quite a bit different because it was more recent and more 'Pop'.

Quote:
You kept talking about it being a 1 hit wonder. The GS3 wasn't exactly the best phone even when it came out. It was easily available and Samsung supported it well.
I kept talking about it because people kept writing "I don't get your point".

Quote:
How a phone looks matters little, as indicated before. This seems to be a common theme for Apple users, and a few others. Who cares what it "looks" like if you are going to slap it in a case anyways?
Well, as we know, a decent amount of Apple users have a cloak over their eyes and are told that looks don't matter because the product line doesn't have any diversity (which rumor has, is changing). However, with so many different Android phone variations out there, looks will start to matter so people can differentiate themselves. If that alone was not true, phones wouldn't come in different colors.

Quote:
You also continuously referred to the product as a one hit wonder while using those words, which is directly relatable to sales
I referred to the idea of it being looked back on as a 1 hit wonder, you yourself injected your own thoughts past that.
Old Mar 13, 2013, 12:46 PM   #84
AdelphiaX
Radeon Caribbean Islands

Quote:
Because it isn't a one hit wonder. There have been multiple hit products over the past few years from Samsung.

We can do the meme dance if you'd like:

I say again, I didn't claim anything and I'll ask you again to quote where I did. Or will you convienently miss this again?
Old Mar 13, 2013, 12:55 PM   #85
Spyhawk
Radeon Evergreen

Spyhawk is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
So, even if the actual phone rocks, because the back is plastic (design decision to allow removable cover for battery/SD card replacement), you won't buy it?

Interesting

A fair number of users slap their phones into cases anyways. Because they look SOOOO good, they shatter or scratch up like crazy.
I didn't say I wouldn't buy it. I still could once I see the reviews and test one out. I got the S2 when it came out and it wasn't the best looking phone by far but it sure was the best at everything else.
Spyhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2013, 01:02 PM   #86
AdelphiaX
Radeon Caribbean Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyhawk View Post
I didn't say I wouldn't buy it. I still could once I see the reviews and test one out. I got the S2 when it came out and it wasn't the best looking phone by far but it sure was the best at everything else.
Sazar sometimes has a way of reading something and regardless of punctuation and actual content, will interpret the statement with his own projections, even if the original post/article doesn't even contain the subject matter he's retorting.
Old Mar 13, 2013, 02:07 PM   #87
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:

Quote:
The point is simple. It's not a one hit wonder. Samsung has sold tens of millions of every single Galaxy phone. The GS3 just has more sales than the others. It's like saying "the iPhone 4s was a one hit wonder" before the 5 came out, simply because it had higher sales than it's predecessors.

See?

Quote:
Sazar sometimes has a way of reading something and regardless of punctuation and actual content, will interpret the statement with his own projections, even if the original post/article doesn't even contain the subject matter he's retorting.
If you want to make it personal, be my guest.
Old Mar 13, 2013, 02:31 PM   #88
CurrentlyPissed
Mad, not drunk.

CurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled with

Anyone interested in a Unlocked Note 2 International Version?
Quote:
An arrow can only be shot by pulling it back. Remember when life is dragging you back, you are just moments away from springing forward.

So keep aiming.

-Interwebz
CurrentlyPissed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2013, 02:38 PM   #89
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurrentlyPissed View Post
Anyone interested in a Unlocked Note 2 International Version?
How much?

And what antennae's support does it have?
Old Mar 13, 2013, 03:01 PM   #90
CurrentlyPissed
Mad, not drunk.

CurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled with

Quote:
How much?

And what antennae's support does it have?
$550. It's the white UK/International Version. Been in a majority of it's life. The

GSM850, GSM900, GSM1800, GSM1900, UMTS850 (B5), UMTS900 (B8), UMTS1900 (B2), UMTS2100 (B1)

GPRS, EDGE, UMTS, HSDPA, HSUPA, HSPA+

I bought it from the 'egg. Comes with an official Samsung thin case too. With rubber sides. Phones shape is 8.5/10. Has minor marks on the backside from things being inside the case. They may even rub off. Sides, front, screen are 100%.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16875176415
Quote:
An arrow can only be shot by pulling it back. Remember when life is dragging you back, you are just moments away from springing forward.

So keep aiming.

-Interwebz

Last edited by CurrentlyPissed : Mar 13, 2013 at 03:07 PM.
CurrentlyPissed is offline   Reply With Quote