Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

Old Mar 24, 2013, 01:01 PM   #331
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Sazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero View Post
How did I dumb down my smartphone? I still used for media consumption, browsing, emails etc. I only disabled push notifications for the hundred or so of other apps that I don't need to be sending me notifications constantly.

And I never said all smartphones need to have a 5 day battery life. I'm making the point that battery life on current gen phones has gone down as specs have gone up. There's some strong cognitive dissonance going on if you guys think industry standards for battery life are good.
Your original post stood on it's own merits about battery life. You went down the rabbit hole of the 4-5 days which is what appears to have prompted a lot of the comments

FWIW, in normal usage, the Nokia 920 I use is no worse than the iPhone 4 I previously had.This is with a larger screen and more features. For me, I don't see this as something getting worse.

If the GS4 provides the same or better battery life with a bigger screen and more features than the GS3, all the more power to Samsung.

Battery life and how long a phone lasts is relative. If you utilize your phone such that it won't last a day, and you don't have the means to charge it otherwise, use a dumb-phone. It's part of the compromise for using the devices these threads are about. You are right, but I think most of the users and posters in this thread understand that 24h hrs is a decent starting point.
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2013, 02:15 PM   #332
Zero
Sass hole

Zero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English Channel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sazar View Post
FWIW, in normal usage, the Nokia 920 I use is no worse than the iPhone 4 I previously had.This is with a larger screen and more features. For me, I don't see this as something getting worse.
Power management seems better on WP from my experience though. The platform also isn't interested in dropping new hardware with spec bumps just for hardware's sake.

Quote:
Battery life and how long a phone lasts is relative. If you utilize your phone such that it won't last a day, and you don't have the means to charge it otherwise, use a dumb-phone.
Again, this is a retarded argument. People who use smartphones for their functionality CANNOT revert to using dumbphones. I can't believe how many times you guys need to hear BATTERY LIFE IS NOT THE ONLY PARAMETER. I'm going to stop repeating it now because holy crap, if you don't get this, it's not worth talking to you.

Quote:
most of the users and posters in this thread understand that 24h hrs is a decent starting point.
Like you said, it's a starting point, it shouldn't be a standard. If other performance specs can go up, why not this one as well?

please refrain from telling other forum members to "Go eat a buffet of dicks." in the future.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2013, 05:21 PM   #333
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Sazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero View Post
Again, this is a retarded argument. People who use smartphones for their functionality CANNOT revert to using dumbphones. I can't believe how many times you guys need to hear BATTERY LIFE IS NOT THE ONLY PARAMETER. I'm going to stop repeating it now because holy crap, if you don't get this, it's not worth talking to you.
Not everyone who has a smartphone uses it as a smartphone.

If there is something more important, such as battery life, they can migrate to a device that will last longer.

The wonderful thing is, there is choice and not everyone has the same needs.

If YOU don't get this, it's not worth talking to you.
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Mar 24, 2013, 06:05 PM   #334
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Don't feed the troll.
Elysian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2013, 07:03 PM   #335
Zero
Sass hole

Zero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English Channel

Quote:
Not everyone who has a smartphone uses it as a smartphone.

If there is something more important, such as battery life, they can migrate to a device that will last longer.

The wonderful thing is, there is choice and not everyone has the same needs.

If YOU don't get this, it's not worth talking to you.
Dude, given what I explained, how was I not using my smartphone as a smartphone? How could a dumbphone be any sort of acceptable substitute

On top of those light use days, I also used it heavily with gaming and apps at other times. Having better battery life is useful for heavy use as well, you get to use it longer.

Better battery life/efficiency benefits EVERYONE, what exactly are you arguing against? *head assplodes*

please refrain from telling other forum members to "Go eat a buffet of dicks." in the future.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old Mar 24, 2013, 07:05 PM   #336
Zero
Sass hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
Don't feed the troll.
If I'm the guy trolling because of my "controversial" opinion on battery life, you need to get your head checked.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old Mar 24, 2013, 07:44 PM   #337
ice
Rage3D Spammer

ice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badges

I remember when this thread was about the Samsung Galaxy S4 and not a pissing match. Those were the days.

6600k|16GB of GSkill|500GB 850 Pro|Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 |Asus Z170-AR|Windows 10 64 Enterprise

360 games

Lose = Be careful not to lose that.
Loose = The bolts are loose.
There = She is there now.
Their = They have their things.
They're = They're going to the mall.
To = They came to the house.
Too = That's too bad.
Two = 2.
Your = Your dinner is ready.
You're = If you're 150lbs you'd better have a 6 pack.
ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2013, 08:08 PM   #338
Zero
Sass hole

What do you think usually eats the most battery on the S3? That's right, the screen. Denser pixel screen + higher frequency SoC with more cores sounds like battery life might take a hit on the S4.

Edit: ok so they also put a higher cap battery in there, which will probably mean the same hum-drum battery life.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"

Last edited by Zero : Mar 24, 2013 at 08:11 PM.
Old Mar 24, 2013, 08:49 PM   #339
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

The articles keep flooding in

http://www.sfgate.com/technology/bus...he-4380212.php

The amount of press the iPhone 5 gets, even though it is almost a generation behind most flagship devices in hardware, and several years behind in the OS is mind-boggling.

Processor availability list by region/country revealed.

http://www.android.gs/samsung-galaxy-s4-availability/

Quote:
In order to make sure that there won’t be any issues with the units on stock, the company will release the Snapdragon variant of the Galaxy S4 in a lot non-American countries. Yes, we already found out that this particular version of the phone will head to Sweden, Denmark and the UK, but it seems that the list consists of many for countries, according to Sam Mobile.

So, the countries who will be receiving the Galaxy S4 powered by the Qualcomm Snapdragon 600 are: Austria, Baltic nations, Belgium, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Cyprus, Czech Republic, France, Germany, Greece, Italy, Luxemburg, Macedonia, Nordic countries, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Switzerland, The Netherlands, United Kingdom, Hong Kong, Korea, Malaysia, Philippines, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, United Arab Emirates, and Australia.

It seems that some of the above mentioned countries will receive both versions of Galaxy S4 namely Italy, France, UAE, Germany, Korea, the Philippines, Poland, Saudi Arabia, Malaysia, Hong Kong, and the UK.

On the other hand, the countries where only the Exynos Samsung Galaxy S4 will be shipped are: Russia, Ukraine, Afghanistan, Algeria, Egypt, Kenya, Libya, Morocco, Nigeria, Bangladesh, China, India, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Kazahstan, Nepal, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Taiwan, Thailand, Turkey, Uzbekistan, Vietnam, and Romania.
Old Mar 25, 2013, 09:25 AM   #340
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Razeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Quote:
The articles keep flooding in

http://www.sfgate.com/technology/bus...he-4380212.php

The amount of press the iPhone 5 gets, even though it is almost a generation behind most flagship devices in hardware, and several years behind in the OS is mind-boggling.

Processor availability list by region/country revealed.

http://www.android.gs/samsung-galaxy-s4-availability/
I love articles that compare a brand new phone with one that came out last year. Totally makes sense... I'll be watching when the iPhone 5S launches and totally flatlines the S4.
Razeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2013, 09:39 AM   #341
Sasquach
2/10 will not bang

Sasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razeus View Post
I love articles that compare a brand new phone with one that came out last year. Totally makes sense... I'll be watching when the iPhone 5S launches and totally flatlines the S4.
I'll laugh when the iphone5s only gives its annual say new internals, or one new feature (like a 128gb option) lol.
AMD Ryzen 5 2600X @ 3.6ghz
Asus Prime B450M A/CSM
2 x 8GB G-Skill DDR4 2666
Dell E2210 (22" widescreen) monitor + AMD Radeon R9 290
Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200.12 SATA
Seagate Barracuda 2TB SATA
Sennheiser PC350 Xense edition headset
Sasquach is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2013, 09:40 AM   #342
Zero
Sass hole

You can thank Business Insider for dumbing it down for the masses.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old Mar 25, 2013, 10:30 AM   #343
nycdarkness
ಠ_ಠ

nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Your dreaming. The iphone 4s was a let down and so was the 5. People still bought them but in terms of progression they were both let downs. I am not saying it's not possible for apple to produce something great, but their recent history has proven they've got nothing cooking. The major proponent behind iphone sales is not the product itself but it's a fad more than anything else. Like all fads it will die down over time.

nycdarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2013, 07:01 PM   #344
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
Of course you will.

Apple has not innovated on the OS since about the time the 3GS came out, and on the hardware, really, since the 4. The camera is better on the 5, but apart from that, no innovation.

The GS3 was ahead of the 5 and it'll likely be ahead of the 5s in terms of technology unless Apple actually, you know, innovates.

But it's nice to see Ive doing what he does best, and borrowing from WP and Android in flattening the UI of the OS. How soon that comes along, don't know, but it'll be a damn sight better than the crap they have right now.

Re: the S4, it's a great phone. I prefer the One in many aspects, but the GS4 is a great phone.
Old Mar 25, 2013, 10:12 PM   #345
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
So they shouldn't compare to the iPhone because Apple doesn't update at the rate of tech?
Old Mar 25, 2013, 10:26 PM   #346
Sasquach
2/10 will not bang

Sasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
So they shouldn't compare to the iPhone because Apple doesn't update at the rate of tech?

Asus Prime B450M A/CSM
Old Mar 26, 2013, 03:10 AM   #347
Zero
Sass hole

Quote:
They probably shouldn't compare it to the iPhone 5 because it's not even relevant.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old Mar 26, 2013, 09:52 AM   #348
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Razeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Quote:
Why should Apple? What will the S4 do that the S3 doesn't. What will the iPhone 5S do that the iPhone 5 doesn't?

Just because they rate of tech is faster, doesn't mean you should come out with a new phone every 3 months.

Just because the CPU is 2x as fast, that doesn't change the way I use my phone or its apps.
Old Mar 26, 2013, 09:57 AM   #349
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
Why should Apple? What will the S4 do that the S3 doesn't. What will the iPhone 5S do that the iPhone 5 doesn't?
Didn't you see the presentation? There's a lot of things. You're right about the next iPhone though, it won't do anything the 5 can't do. Apple is going to do its traditional modest spec bump and call it a day. Lazy company is lazy.

Quote:
Just because they rate of tech is faster, doesn't mean you should come out with a new phone every 3 months.

Just because the CPU is 2x as fast, that doesn't change the way I use my phone or its apps.
What major Samsung phone came out 3 months ago? Do you even know when the GS3 launched?

Last edited by Elysian : Mar 26, 2013 at 10:00 AM.
Old Mar 26, 2013, 10:05 AM   #350
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Didn't you see the presentation? There's a lot of things. You're right about the next iPhone though, it won't do anything the 5 can't do. Apple is going to do its traditional modest spec bump and call it a day. Lazy company is lazy.

What major Samsung phone came out 3 months ago? Do you even know when the GS3 launched?
Sigh. Must be nice to have tunnel vision. All that presentation stuff was software based, things easily done with apps on the iPhone or S3. Don't make the S4 more than what it is.

Are you saying no Android phone has been launched since the S3? Tell me, what did those phones do that the S3 didn't. That does the S4 do that those phones can't?
Old Mar 26, 2013, 10:11 AM   #351
Zero
Sass hole

Some improvements with the camera for one.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old Mar 26, 2013, 10:29 AM   #352
nycdarkness
ಠ_ಠ

nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Sigh. Must be nice to have tunnel vision. All that presentation stuff was software based, things easily done with apps on the iPhone or S3. Don't make the S4 more than what it is.

Are you saying no Android phone has been launched since the S3? Tell me, what did those phones do that the S3 didn't. That does the S4 do that those phones can't?
You are the definition of tunnel vision. Android has multiple manufactures making phones of course there are going to be multiple phones coming out at different times. A jailbroken iphone 4 will do everything the 5 can do minus lte radio. Your argument is completely invalid. All the s4 software features will work on the s3 and sooner or later it will be ported to the s3, unlike apple which tries to lock software features to specific models.

Old Mar 26, 2013, 10:54 AM   #353
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycdarkness View Post
You are the definition of tunnel vision. Android has multiple manufactures making phones of course there are going to be multiple phones coming out at different times. A jailbroken iphone 4 will do everything the 5 can do minus lte radio. Your argument is completely invalid. All the s4 software features will work on the s3 and sooner or later it will be ported to the s3, unlike apple which tries to lock software features to specific models.
So why not compare the S4 to a more recent Android phone. Why compare it to a phone that's 8 months old? The entire premise is silly. Might as well compare the performance of a Pentium 4 and a i7 while you're at it. Heck, throw a Honda Civic with a BMW 335i while you're at it.
Old Mar 26, 2013, 11:10 AM   #354
nycdarkness
ಠ_ಠ

Quote:
So why not compare the S4 to a more recent Android phone. Why compare it to a phone that's 8 months old? The entire premise is silly. Might as well compare the performance of a Pentium 4 and a i7 while you're at it. Heck, throw a Honda Civic with a BMW 335i while you're at it.
You don't really follow android phones there is a reason to not compare it to more recent android phone. I have already posted this many times in this sub thread. Most android phones now have very similar hardware. Let's say you compare the s4 (snap dragon version) to a HTC One or Dna. Your looking at the same gpu and cpu, similar battery sizes, similar size screen and res. Android differentiation comes mostly in design and form factor these days. No matter what layer ui is thrown on top of android the core os functions the same. The iphone is a completely different phone in terms of software and hardware.

Old Mar 26, 2013, 11:45 AM   #355
Sasquach
2/10 will not bang

Quote:
hahah you seriously think comparing an S4 to an iphone5 is like comparing a BMW to a civic??
that's comparing a Note8 to a iphone...

an iphone vs S4 is like comparing the long-in-the-tooth 2013 Toyota Corolla being compared to the redesigned 2014 Kia Forte.

corolla is so outdated and long overdue for a redesign (its been the same car since 2009) but its still the most popular car out there for some reason just because (hm...sounds familiar).
the 2014 Kia Forte is brand new and just redesigned, its practically 2 generations ahead of the Corolla since even the last one was a better featured car still than a corolla. (its Korean too....like Samsung).

they are comparable because they have to be compared. The Iphone is still being sold, the iphone is still the flagship apple phone, and the iphone is still a competitor. Just because they havent released anything in the past several months doesnt mean its exempt from comparison. And whos fault is that? Samsung's fault for releasing a new phone?
Asus Prime B450M A/CSM

Last edited by Sasquach : Mar 26, 2013 at 11:51 AM.
Old Mar 26, 2013, 12:26 PM   #356
CurrentlyPissed
Mad, not drunk.

CurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled with

I'm having a hell of a time deciding between the S4, and the HTC One, the one has a much brighter, and higher pixel density screen (460pi vs 440pi, and 266lumex vs 480lumex).

But the samsung is a .3in larger screen, and 300mAh more on the battery (2300vs2600).

However the benchs are also showing the HTC One to perform better as well.

Hmm..
Quote:
An arrow can only be shot by pulling it back. Remember when life is dragging you back, you are just moments away from springing forward.

So keep aiming.

-Interwebz
CurrentlyPissed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2013, 12:30 PM   #357
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurrentlyPissed View Post
I'm having a hell of a time deciding between the S4, and the HTC One, the one has a much brighter, and higher pixel density screen (460pi vs 440pi, and 266lumex vs 480lumex).

But the samsung is a .3in larger screen, and 300mAh more on the battery (2300vs2600).

Hmm..
HTC One. The Samsung, by nature of its Fisher Price design, is made from plastic and is overpriced.
Old Mar 26, 2013, 12:32 PM   #358
nycdarkness
ಠ_ಠ

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurrentlyPissed View Post

Hmm..
If you care about SD card then go s4. Screen wise the htc one will win. Samsung screens have that over saturation where it looks good but not as good as htc's current screens. The battery is whatever difference.

Old Mar 26, 2013, 12:33 PM   #359
nycdarkness
ಠ_ಠ

Quote:
HTC One. The Samsung, by nature of its Fisher Price design, is made from plastic and is overpriced.
This coming from a lover of the phone with the highest profit margin. Plastic isn't necessarily a bad thing, it's a feel preference.

Old Mar 26, 2013, 12:36 PM   #360
CurrentlyPissed
Mad, not drunk.

CurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled with

Im having hard times finding Dates on the HTC One, it seems like it should be any day though? Anyone know?
Quote:
An arrow can only be shot by pulling it back. Remember when life is dragging you back, you are just moments away from springing forward.

So keep aiming.

-Interwebz
CurrentlyPissed is offline   Reply With Quote