Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Graphics Technology Forums » AMD Radeon Discussion and Support
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

AMD Radeon Discussion and Support General discussion, tweaking, overclocking and technical support questions about discrete Radeon graphics products.

Old Jul 4, 2011, 01:33 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Kesker
Radeon R100

Kesker is still being judged by the masses

Default Eyefinity Projector Support?

Does AMD Eyefinity Tech support projectors?

If so,how much projectors are supported maximum?

What is the maximum supported eyefinity resolution?

Thanks in advance

Last edited by Kesker : Jul 4, 2011 at 01:41 PM. Reason: -
Kesker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2011, 02:33 PM   #2
spyre
ATI Beta Tester

spyre is still being judged by the masses

Yes
Upto 6 per card (depending on the card) same as monitors provided they are Displayport & DVI or using actve adapters
Same as monitors max per display which are in the card specs which I can't be bothered to look up, go look on AMD.com. Eyefinity its self is limited to 8000 x 8000 pixels in total. Displays are arranged either 1x5 portrait, 2x3 landscape, 1x3 landscape or portrait, 2x2 Landscape, 1x3 Vertical landscape
Old Jul 4, 2011, 03:45 PM   #3
Kesker
Radeon R100

The projectors that i can buy, have vga and hdmi outputs.(got 6970 and 5870 eyefinity6 on seperate systems)

On 6970 I can connect 2 of them with dvi to vga converters.

Will it work if i connect the 3rd projector on hdmi output of 6970?

If not,for the 3rd one do i need an active or passive mini display port to vga?
As far as i know there arent any mini display port to vga/hdmi active adapters.(no usb powered one)

For 5870,i can connect two of them with mini dp to vga passive adapters.
I got a mini dp to dvi active converter(a usb powered one)
So will it work if i plug a dvi-vga converter on top of this converter and connect it to vga port of 3rd projector?

Sorry for the long post,

Thanks again.
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jul 4, 2011, 04:11 PM   #4
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

caveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badges

For the third display, it must use the displayport output and if you're not using a displayport device, then you have to use an active adapter.

there are two kinds of active adapter, usb powered and self powered. you need the usb powered ones if you need resolutions higher than 1920x1080.

DVI isn't much different than HDMI, so you can use a DP-DVI active adapter and then use a DVI-HDMI cable.
caveman-jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2011, 04:39 PM   #5
Kesker
Radeon R100

Quote:
Originally Posted by caveman-jim View Post
For the third display, it must use the displayport output and if you're not using a displayport device, then you have to use an active adapter.

there are two kinds of active adapter, usb powered and self powered. you need the usb powered ones if you need resolutions higher than 1920x1080.

DVI isn't much different than HDMI, so you can use a DP-DVI active adapter and then use a DVI-HDMI cable.
Thank you,if i understand correct, I can use a self powered active mini display port to DVI adapter and then DVI-HDMI for the 3rd projector for 5760x1080 eyefinity resolution.

For 5760x1200 an active usb powered one is needed

For six 1920x1080 Projectors on eyefinity on 5870 Eyefinity6 card

6 self powered active mini dp to DVI(then DVI-HDMI) is ok,isnt it ?
Old Jul 4, 2011, 05:11 PM   #6
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

caveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badges

The resolution of the single display is what dictates the need for self powered or USB powered (note, not passive).

If you want three 1920x1080, then the self-powered active adapters are what you need.

for running 5760x1080, you are correct - 1 adapter is needed, self powered will work fine.

for six displays on an Eyefinity 6 card, you need 4 active adapters and two passive adapters. The eyefinity 6 cards have built in TDMS hardware for making the centering/timing signals needed for HDMI/DVI. So you only need 4 active DP adapters.
Old Jul 4, 2011, 07:21 PM   #7
Kesker
Radeon R100

Thanks again,
One last question pls

I found an active Mini DP to Vga adapter which is eyefinity validated.

http://support.amd.com/us/eyefinity/...y-dongles.aspx

http://www.accellcables.com/products...DP/mdp_vga.htm

Do you think this will work for the 3rd projector on eyefinity 3 setup and 4 of this on eyefinity 6 setup?
Old Jul 4, 2011, 07:54 PM   #8
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

Yep, that's the active adapter.