Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

Old Jan 4, 2011, 07:15 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
erek
Banned

erek is still being judged by the masses

Memory DDR4 has arrived

Samsung Develops Industry’s First DDR4 DRAM, Using 30nm Class Technology

Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd, a global leader in advanced semiconductor technology solutions, announced today that it completed development of the industry’s first DDR4 DRAM module last month, using 30 nanometer (nm) class process technology.

“Samsung has been actively supporting the IT industry with our green memory initiative by coming up with eco-friendly, innovative memory products providing higher performance and power efficiency every year,” said Dong Soo Jun, president, memory division, Samsung Electronics. “The new DDR4 DRAM will build even greater confidence in our cutting-edge green memory, particularly when we introduce four-gigabit (Gb) DDR4-based products using next generation process technology for mainstream application.”

Source: TechPowerUp
erek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2011, 07:34 PM   #2
@md_Guy
<strike>out</strike>

@md_Guy knows why the caged bird sings@md_Guy knows why the caged bird sings@md_Guy knows why the caged bird sings@md_Guy knows why the caged bird sings@md_Guy knows why the caged bird sings

Bah.. more of the same, increased latencies in favor of "higher" speed, not expected anytime before 2012 and probably no faster at introduction than current offerings
Old Jan 4, 2011, 07:42 PM   #3
@md_Guy
<strike>out</strike>

@md_Guy knows why the caged bird sings@md_Guy knows why the caged bird sings@md_Guy knows why the caged bird sings@md_Guy knows why the caged bird sings@md_Guy knows why the caged bird sings

BTW, the only "real" benefit I see with these are in mobile solutions where the lower (1.2 v 1.5) power could help but I guess only time will tell
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jan 4, 2011, 08:20 PM   #4
Greasy
Raiding Curio's Stable

Greasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

I agree, sounds like more of the same. It will be out a year or so before it's faster/cheaper than DDR3.
Greasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2011, 08:35 PM   #5
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Trunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird sings

Subscriber

Oh sob, just when I was on the verge of making a new build, rams going to change

System:
Gigabyte Z87X D3H - Intel i5 4670k @ 4.2Ghz - CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Black RGB - 16Gb Kingston HyperX Black DDR3-1600 - Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD±RW - Samsung 850 Evo 250Gib - 4TiB Seagate - Asus Radeon R9 Fury STRIX - X-Fi XtremeMusic(darkside lives on) - Windows 10 64-bit
Trunks0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2011, 08:44 PM   #6
Tizen
Custom User Title

Tizen is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunks0 View Post
Oh sob, just when I was on the verge of making a new build, rams going to change
Meh, transition period will be well over 2 years imo.
Old Jan 4, 2011, 08:49 PM   #7
traitoR
Galactic Butterfly

traitoR once held a door open for a complete strangertraitoR once held a door open for a complete strangertraitoR once held a door open for a complete strangertraitoR once held a door open for a complete stranger

I agree, seems another less than impressive evolution, atypical of RAM development.

The dream of eternal life is far more compelling than living one.
traitoR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2011, 11:16 PM   #8
Bires
50 lb lap dog ;)

Bires once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Bires once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Bires once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Bires once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Bires once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Bires once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Slashdot reported that DRAM prices are lower than they have been in years.
My computer? I've put its specs in the box to the left.
There are many people on the Rage3D forums.
They're very proud of their computers.
Bires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2011, 08:23 AM   #9
DaJMasta
Baffoonist

DaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bires View Post
Slashdot reported that DRAM prices are lower than they have been in years.
I've seen a couple of 8GB DDR3 kits for under $70.... DIMM and SO-DIMM, so yes I'm inclined to agree.
Desktop: Intel Core i7 7770k : 16GB EVGA DDR4 2400 : Gigabyte GTX 1070 Ti Windforce X2 : Gigabyte GA-H270-WIFI : AudioQuest DragonFly DAC : Samsung SM961 NVMe 1TB SSD : Corsair Builder 500W PSU : Samsung 1440p 32" Monitor : Klipsch Promedia 2.1 : Windows 10 Pro x64
Tablet: Microsoft Surface Pro 4 : Intel Core i5-6300U : 8GB DDR3 : Intel 520 Integrated : 256GB SSD : 12.3" 2736x1824 display : Windows 10 Pro x64
HTPC: Intel Core i3 3225 : HD 4000 integrated : 8GB Samsung DDR3 1600 : Gigabyte H77N-Wifi : 120GB Sandisk Extreme SSD : 80W power brick and picoPSU150 XT : Integrated HD Audio : Scepter 32" LCD TV : Logitech Z313 2.1 : Windows 7 Pro x64

DaJMasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2011, 08:27 AM   #10
ShaidarHaran
Radeon Arctic Islands

ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by @md_Guy View Post
Bah.. more of the same, increased latencies in favor of "higher" speed, not expected anytime before 2012 and probably no faster at introduction than current offerings
This is a fallacy. If you increase speed while also increasing latency, you haven't actually increased latency since latency is measured in clock cycles and the clock cycle count just went up.

Example: DDR-400 CAS 2 has the same latency as DDR2-800 CAS 4 which has the same latency as DDR3-1600 CAS 8. You can actually purchase DDR3-1600 with CAS 6 which is a net latency decrease and bandwidth increase over previous products.
ShaidarHaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2011, 01:53 PM   #11
Ristogod
Semper Vigilare

Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

So is DDR4 more similar to GDDR4 (which only saw use in X1900 and X2900 based cards) or GDDR5?
Old Jan 5, 2011, 03:18 PM   #12
@md_Guy
<strike>out</strike>

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaidarHaran View Post
This is a fallacy. If you increase speed while also increasing latency, you haven't actually increased latency since latency is measured in clock cycles and the clock cycle count just went up.

Example: DDR-400 CAS 2 has the same latency as DDR2-800 CAS 4 which has the same latency as DDR3-1600 CAS 8. You can actually purchase DDR3-1600 with CAS 6 which is a net latency decrease and bandwidth increase over previous products.
That's true.. cycle times have greatly decreased as well from DDR to DDR3...iirc, cycle times have decreased 4x yet even choosing the lowest latency timings (2/4/8) in each equal base clock, it's the latency to cycle times haven't gotten better.

Mem / Cycle / Latency (ns)
DDR1 5ns 10ns
DDR2 2.5ns 10ns
DDR3 1.25ns 10ns

Maybe I'm over analyzing it... but it sure seem to me that while the effective rates have increased (cycles decreased) the latencies have remained flat and not seen improvement.. the penalty incurred is greater (% wise).
Old Jan 5, 2011, 04:06 PM   #13
ShaidarHaran
Radeon Arctic Islands

ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ristogod View Post
So is DDR4 more similar to GDDR4 (which only saw use in X1900 and X2900 based cards) or GDDR5?
GDDR5.
Old Jan 5, 2011, 04:08 PM   #14
ShaidarHaran
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
That's true.. cycle times have greatly decreased as well from DDR to DDR3...iirc, cycle times have decreased 4x yet even choosing the lowest latency timings (2/4/8) in each equal base clock, it's the latency to cycle times haven't gotten better.

Mem / Cycle / Latency (ns)
DDR1 5ns 10ns
DDR2 2.5ns 10ns
DDR3 1.25ns 10ns

Maybe I'm over analyzing it... but it sure seem to me that while the effective rates have increased (cycles decreased) the latencies have remained flat and not seen improvement.. the penalty incurred is greater (% wise).
Since we're dealing with latencies in the billionths of seconds, it's not terribly important to decrease latency at this stage of the game.
Old Jan 5, 2011, 04:27 PM   #15
@md_Guy
<strike>out</strike>

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaidarHaran View Post
Since we're dealing with latencies in the billionths of seconds, it's not terribly important to decrease latency at this stage of the game.
I agree "it's not terribly important".. however the point remains that there hasn't been any real improvement in latencies (which have remained flat at best) the penalty relative to the decreased cycle times has gotten worse and worse as effective speeds are increased. It used to be a 2 cycle penalty (10ns vs 5ns) thus Cas 2 now the penalties are upwards of 4x as much (10ns v 1.125ns) thus the "effective" latency penalty has increased 4 fold. Other than synthetic PCmark/Sandra benches "slower" memory with lower latencies (CAS) typically perform equal or better than the "bigger/faster" higher CAS counterparts. IIRC at best, DDR3 showed a 2-5% improvement over DDR2 at it's introduction. I've pretty much always gone with memory with lower CAS even if it meant staying a generation or so behind (I rode those Cas 2 DDR 400s for as long as I could)
Old Jan 5, 2011, 04:50 PM   #16
ShaidarHaran
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
I agree "it's not terribly important".. however the point remains that there hasn't been any real improvement in latencies (which have remained flat at best) the penalty relative to the decreased cycle times has gotten worse and worse as effective speeds are increased. It used to be a 2 cycle penalty (10ns vs 5ns) thus Cas 2 now the penalties are upwards of 4x as much (10ns v 1.125ns) thus the "effective" latency penalty has increased 4 fold. Other than synthetic PCmark/Sandra benches "slower" memory with lower latencies (CAS) typically perform equal or better than the "bigger/faster" higher CAS counterparts. IIRC at best, DDR3 showed a 2-5% improvement over DDR2 at it's introduction. I've pretty much always gone with memory with lower CAS even if it meant staying a generation or so behind (I rode those Cas 2 DDR 400s for as long as I could)
My statement "it's not terribly important" was an attempt at politeness. What I meant to say was "it's not relevant". When you're dealing with latencies this low already, decreasing them further has no meaningful impact on the ability to access data or increase processing power, it's also a non-trivial problem.