Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Community and Site Discussions » Off Topic Lounge
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Off Topic Lounge Discuss anything you want here folks. A place for computer junkies to boldly post Off Topic... Rant and rave if it is necessary, but just try to keep it clean!

Old Oct 2, 2003, 04:56 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
RadagastZ
12' Tall Reptilian Alien

RadagastZ is still being judged by the masses

Default The Biggest News Story this Year NOT BEING REPORTED!

Staph.

I don't know if it's just in Oklahoma and north Texas, but I've seen more cases of antibiotic resistant staph infections than I've heard about my entire life.

Cases I've heard about in the last few weeks:

My best friend had a staph infection randomly come up in the place where he was bitten by a brown recluse a few years ago that was previously completely healed. The staff infection was horrible, it even caused cell death, which was bad for him since he already had a cavity there from the spider bite. He spent a week in the hospital and almost died. He lives in Stillwater, a three hour drive from me. He said the doctor there has seen more cases of bacterial resistant Staph this year than he's seen his entire career. The doctor there in stillwater at the university has seen over 100 college students with resistant staph in the months of august and september. They've yet to determine where people are getting it.

Hy dad is a girl's fastpitch softball coach. Half of his team came down with staph on their legs (about 7 girls all told). One of them has a very bad case and was in the hospital a few days. A few other kids at school have come down with staph infections as well. This happened in Davis, where I live.

A man I work with's daughter came down with one on her side and outer thigh. He's told me about ten to fifteen kids in the town of Ada where I work, which is about 45 miles from where I live, who've all gotten Staph infections.

I spoke with my company's medical director and he knows about the increase in staph infections as well. He's told me that this is such a huge problem, that the media isn't going to touch it because panic might insue. There are some new types of antibiotics that are being administered that seem to clear up the infections, but they are so strong that some people have to be hospitalized because the medicine makes them very sick. Sometimes the medicine can make people sick like they were taking chemotherapy.

I was just wondering if any of you guys have similar stories. What worries me most is that in a few years, after the bacteria mutates a few more times, we won't be able to stop it and we'll have a lot of people die from something that usually only caused the very young and the very old problems.

Last edited by RadagastZ : Oct 2, 2003 at 07:46 PM.
RadagastZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2003, 05:00 PM   #2
scottweil4nd
Radeon Sea Islands

scottweil4nd is still being judged by the masses

TOO LONG, NO READ
Old Oct 2, 2003, 05:03 PM   #3
Oscar1613
My spoon is too big!

Oscar1613 is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally posted by scottweil4nd
TOO LONG, NO READ
then dont reply jackass

#15360:
<FunG> i dunno how anyone thats smart could put up with your opinionated and pretentious ass. if i were locked in a room with you for 10 minutes id stab myself in the face. id have to before your personality oozed all over me and make me second in command of the idiot ship.

[19:39] <Robotzombie> logen you psychopath
[19:40] <Robotzombie> I was joking you asscramp
Oscar1613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Oct 2, 2003, 05:11 PM   #4
Java Cool Dude
With my family

Java Cool Dude is not someone to be trifled withJava Cool Dude is not someone to be trifled withJava Cool Dude is not someone to be trifled withJava Cool Dude is not someone to be trifled withJava Cool Dude is not someone to be trifled withJava Cool Dude is not someone to be trifled withJava Cool Dude is not someone to be trifled withJava Cool Dude is not someone to be trifled with

Quote:
TOO LONG, NO READ
I applaud your lameness
Java Cool Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2003, 05:12 PM   #5
chramcow_daniel
In play, run(s)

chramcow_daniel is still being judged by the masses

he´s right man..
chramcow_daniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2003, 05:12 PM   #6
xCLAVEx
Not gone

xCLAVEx once held a door open for a complete strangerxCLAVEx once held a door open for a complete strangerxCLAVEx once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally posted by Oscar1613
then dont reply jackass

"Be careful what you say, not everybody is open minded"

"If Fascism Ever Comes to America, It Will Come in the Name of Liberalism -Ronald Reagan"
xCLAVEx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2003, 05:31 PM   #7
Aphex242
Antagonist Extraordinaire

Aphex242 is still being judged by the masses

For the record, it's "Staph"... it's an abbreviation for (and I know I'm going to spell this wrong) Staphylococcus. It's one of those goofy medical names for a specific bacterium.

And yeah, it's nasty.
Old Oct 2, 2003, 05:35 PM   #8
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Trunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird sings

Subscriber

weird. I hate it when things such as this are not reported

System:
Gigabyte Z87X D3H - Intel i5 4670k @ 4.2Ghz - CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Black RGB - 16Gb Kingston HyperX Black DDR3-1600 - Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD±RW - Samsung 850 Evo 250Gib - 4TiB Seagate - Asus Radeon R9 Fury STRIX - X-Fi XtremeMusic(darkside lives on) - Windows 10 64-bit
Trunks0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2003, 06:18 PM   #9
JungleFreak
Radeon R420

JungleFreak is still being judged by the masses

It just goes to show how censored the media really is.
"He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice. This disgrace to civilization should be done away with at once. Heroism at command, senseless brutality, deplorable love-of-country stance, how violently I hate all this, how despicable and ignorant war is; I would rather be torn to shreds than be a part of so base an action! It is my conviction that killing under the cloak of war is nothing but an act of murder." --Albert Einstein
JungleFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2003, 06:24 PM   #10
Beidomon
Snaaaaake!

Beidomon is still being judged by the masses

Yup. Bacteria are getting more and more resistant to antibiotics. This is largely due to people taking medication too often and aiding the proliferation of antibiotic-resistant bacteria. I read that by 2010 or 2015 it is estimated that some infections will not be treatable by any of our current methods. Even new antibiotics are becoming ineffective quicker than before.

Just wait until it becomes more than just Staph aureus. Pneumonia, tuberculosis, anthrax, botulism, gonorrhea (which is already resistant to many highly used antibiotics), plus many many more problems are caused from bacteria.

Have a nice day.
Beidomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2003, 06:27 PM   #11
_leech_
Banned

_leech_ is still being judged by the masses

What's a brown recluse?
_leech_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2003, 06:40 PM   #12
Jackl
Always watching.

Jackl is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally posted by _leech_
What's a brown recluse?
Spider, when biten by a B.R. permanent damage is quite possible, and possibly even death.
Old Oct 2, 2003, 06:54 PM   #13
Heymanyo
Banned

Heymanyo is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally posted by Jackl
Spider, when biten by a B.R. permanent damage is quite possible, and possibly even death.
Thought it was an African-American homeless guy
Heymanyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2003, 07:49 PM   #14
RadagastZ
12' Tall Reptilian Alien

Quote:
Originally posted by Heymanyo
Thought it was an African-American homeless guy

LOL!

Has anyone else heard of people getting random bacterial infections in their area, or is this just an isolated situation? The fact that people who live 200 miles from me have experienced the same increase in these cases, makes me think this might become widespread, if it isn't already. I figure we'll hear something about on dateline or something here in about two months if this keeps up.
Old Oct 2, 2003, 08:11 PM   #15
DorXtar
SMILE!

DorXtar can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyDorXtar can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

In all seriousness, the brown recluse has begun the extermination of mankind.
2 Peter 3:3) For YOU know this first, that in the last days there will come ridiculers with their ridicule, proceeding according to their own desires 4) and saying: “Where is this promised presence of his? Why, from the day our forefathers fell asleep [in death], all things are continuing exactly as from creation’s beginning.” 5) For, according to their wish, this fact escapes their notice [...]

8) However, let this one fact not be escaping YOUR notice, beloved ones, that one day is with Jehovah as a thousand years and a thousand years as one day. 9) Jehovah is not slow respecting his promise, as some people consider slowness, but he is patient with YOU because he does not desire any to be destroyed but desires all to attain to repentance.
Like 12Bass says, critical thinking and the scientific method are probably the best tools we have to avoid it. (bias)

However, this method relies on repeatable, falsifiable hypotheses and theories. Only an extremely small spectrum of time and space can be rendered into these, or at least a good approximation of such.

-RFtinkerer

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.” ― Daniel J. Boorstin
DorXtar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2003, 08:37 PM   #16
_Kosh_
All Alone in the Night

Location: I have always been here. My actual post count is 65535 plus the number below:
_Kosh_ is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally posted by JungleFreak
It just goes to show how censored the media really is.
The media in general is unfortunately far from really understanding what it is reporting and what it is not reporting as well. All that counts to most of the media is what revenue it can get from what it decides to report and what it decides to ignore.

The media is more a disguised form of art for Jow Blow consumption than it is about information.

People vote on what they think they know from what they are told by the media. It's no wonder there is so much that begs for improvement. ../K
Ahhhh, you seek meaning. Then listen to the music... not the song -- Ambassador Kosh - Reborn
_Kosh_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2003, 08:43 PM   #17
RadagastZ
12' Tall Reptilian Alien

Very astute, Klingon. You've figured out how this world REALLY works.
Old Oct 2, 2003, 09:11 PM   #18
Deftones
Boned

Deftones is still being judged by the masses

There was a kid at my school that had a staph infection in his hip and was temporarily parylized. He had to have surgery. The doctors didn't think he'd walk again for months, but about a week later he could get up and walk. Now he goes to school but he carries a fanny pack with an IV that leads into his arm.
Deftones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2003, 10:07 PM   #19
SlickChicFallen
Radeon R420

SlickChicFallen is still being judged by the masses

ouch... that sounds kinda scary (the whole Staph infection thing)... hopefully it doesn't make it's way up into the PNW (we don't have the B.R. spiders up here)
And to Slippery Chicken Fornicating.. you woman! Trying to fool us men with your woman tricks!
SlickChicFallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2003, 10:12 PM   #20
CHIPS
The Overmind

CHIPS can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyCHIPS can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Someone should make a antidote for that spider 's poison. Then the victims can do something to prevent further damage to their body before they arrive to the hospital.

"Humans in general are very self-interested, while expecting all other humans around them to be selfless."
"Sometimes, it is not about whatever you can do something or not. It is about, if you cannot do it, who else can?"
"A difficult task might stop you from getting it done. But it cannot stop you from trying your best."
"Who you hang out with is who you will become" "Do not act on feelings, but act on facts"
"It does not matter how other people sees you. What matters is how you see yourself." "Some pains are sharp, but short. Some pains are dull, but long."
"I killed you ten times with my knife and you killed me 13 times with a gun so I pwned you!" -Crawdaddy79
"Gorgeous white girls everywhere with that "I'M SOOO HOT AND YOU CAN'T HAVE ME" bullsh** attitude" -gts007
"If you wasn't in my way, I wouldn't have shot you" -Kamille Bidan, Zeta Gundam
"It is easy to give up. Anyone can do it. But I choose the hard path." -Beyond
"If women can't compete with video games for our attention its their problem, not ours." -sumpwa
CHIPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2003, 10:21 PM   #21
Hyrax
Rage3D Spammer

Hyrax can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyHyrax can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyHyrax can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally posted by Oscar1613
then dont reply jackass
lol owned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperNovae View Post
Origin says if you are benchmarking or something to just call and they will help you out. God the horror, those poor souls. This is the type of orwellian nightmare Alex Jones told me about.
Hyrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2003, 01:21 AM   #22
roAm
Puffy The Stoner Chipmunk

roAm is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally posted by CHIPS
Someone should make a antidote for that spider 's poison. Then the victims can do something to prevent further damage to their body before they arrive to the hospital.
its been tried and tried and tried...

talk to any exterminator -- they may have seen ONE brown recluse in their entire life

the thing is...brown recluse venom can stay in the same spot for years
and only affect you years down the road...you may never even know you got bitten and then a few years down the road, you get massive cellular death around the area of the bite...sometimes other places as well

the brown recluse is one of the most damaging, if not deadly, spiders on earth -- its not something to just shrug off and hope for a cure -- there wont be one anytime soon
1024 MB PC2100 DDR, 2-2-2-6
ATi x800 XT PE(VIVO Pro --> XT PE mod) -- 475/475 36*C idle, 525/560 53*C full load
CREATIVE Audigy LS
340gb storage(200 and 80gb WD, 60gb Maxtor)
8x DVD+/-RW -- 40x CD-R -- 32x CD-RW -- 40x CD-ROM
Windows XP Professional SP2(installed 01|08|05) running Anzak's CATALYST COMPLETE BETA 3(04.12)
CURRENTLY PLAYING: KNIGHTS OF THE OLD REPUBLIC II
roAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2003, 01:23 AM   #23
_leech_
Banned

_leech_ is still being judged by the masses

I'm scared
_leech_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2003, 03:19 AM   #24
WyreTheWolf
fuzzy ears

WyreTheWolf is still being judged by the masses

I live in north west arkansas... I have been bitten by the dreaded "fiddle back spider" AKA Brown Recluse ... It is not a pretty thing... 3 months and a hole the size of a raquette ball was eaten out of my leg. Required hours of sugery, and it never did heal correctly. Stillwater is about 2 hours from where I live. And I have heard many stories of Staph popping up even here.
-= 3 x AOC G2590FX 25" | Windows 10 Professional x64 =-

-= PROUDLY FOLDING FOR TEAM Rage3D! =-
WyreTheWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2003, 03:26 AM   #25
Raysusan
Rage3D Veteran

Raysusan is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally posted by Crazy Overclocker
I applaud your lameness
lol 2nd that
Raysusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2003, 12:24 PM   #26
hugoboss

hugoboss is still being judged by the masses

its not that bad ive had an infection of staph for 27 years and i still here
hugoboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2003, 12:35 PM   #27
XSBagage
while the world crumbles

XSBagage can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyXSBagage can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Any brown recluse in Europe? i thought there weren't any but I want to be sure.
Old Oct 3, 2003, 02:32 PM   #28
Aphex242
Antagonist Extraordinaire

Aphex242 is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally posted by roAm
its been tried and tried and tried...

talk to any exterminator -- they may have seen ONE brown recluse in their entire life

the thing is...brown recluse venom can stay in the same spot for years
and only affect you years down the road...you may never even know you got bitten and then a few years down the road, you get massive cellular death around the area of the bite...sometimes other places as well

the brown recluse is one of the most damaging, if not deadly, spiders on earth -- its not something to just shrug off and hope for a cure -- there wont be one anytime soon
Wrong, wrong, wrong. They're common as hell. Read some of the articles pointing off the recluse thread. The researchers who write for those websites find tens of them at any site where they exist... they come in huge numbers to localized areas.

Otherwise everything else you've said seems right, except the venom 'dormancy' thing. I've never heard of that, either. But that may be true.
Old Oct 3, 2003, 02:50 PM   #29
Djinn
Rage3D Fixture

Djinn once held a door open for a complete strangerDjinn once held a door open for a complete strangerDjinn once held a door open for a complete strangerDjinn once held a door open for a complete stranger

Well, if you have to die, at least "spider venom" sounds a hell of a lot more impressive than "monkey pox."
Djinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2003, 03:39 PM   #30
Shark
Pain

Shark is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
TOO LONG, NO READ