Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

Old Feb 18, 2020, 03:47 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
KAC
That postcount though...

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Default RGB madness

I am trying to go full RGB on my putter. For this I need 4 RGB fans of 120 mm and 2 RGB fans of 140 mm. Not sure which is the best set of fans to replace with but prices are insane to go full on gay. What fans are you gays using and why? I need 3 120 mm to move air through my Corsair H150i so they have to be good.

Also these mofos need to be silent af.

Right now I am hovering between Corsair HD (cheap) vs Corsair SP (reasonable price) vs Corsair ML and LL (expensive). I also don’t know the difference between ML and LL.

Thoughts?

Here is a shot of the computer thus far.
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2020, 04:06 PM   #2
gamefoo21
Rage Furry X

gamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badges

I'd only go for the upper end Corsair fans based on my personal experience.

Are you going RGB or aRGB?

Heatware
gamefoo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2020, 04:11 PM   #3
KAC
That postcount though...

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

I don’t know what RGB vs aRGB means. Upper end Corsair fans seem to have lower CFM than SP and HD fans. Is that a problem?
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Feb 18, 2020, 04:33 PM   #4
gamefoo21
Rage Furry X

gamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badges

It's addressable RGB.

The trade off with the SP and HD fans is noise and lifetime.

Heatware
Old Feb 18, 2020, 07:10 PM   #5
Megaman
Packing heat!

Megaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

I'd go with Corsair.

My setup consists of 4 140mm PWM fans at the top and back. The H150i fans are stock and hidden between radiator and front case so didn't do RGB there. You should look into front mounting that radiator for better flow.

Fan differences come down to the bearings used and type of RGB, addressable or not etc..

LL series fans are old now, but the rainbow lighting mode goes well with the default G skill ram rainbow mode. I'd look into either the LL series or ML.

You'll be able to control all the RGB/fan speed using iCue now (needs commander pro), with the exception of the RAM and GPU. Everything else including RGB strips work. I'm not sure G Skill RAM is coming to iCue but it has improved the overall control a bit.

Last edited by Megaman : Feb 18, 2020 at 07:41 PM.
Megaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2020, 07:16 PM   #6
the_sextein
Radeon Evergreen

the_sextein knows why the caged bird singsthe_sextein knows why the caged bird singsthe_sextein knows why the caged bird singsthe_sextein knows why the caged bird singsthe_sextein knows why the caged bird sings

I would recommend trading your maid for a male stripper. He would compliment that computer far more than any fans ever could.
the_sextein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2020, 07:37 PM   #7
acroig
Master Troll

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_sextein View Post
I would recommend trading your maid for a male stripper. He would compliment that computer far more than any fans ever could.
Brutal!

yoz
acroig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2020, 08:24 PM   #8
Hapatingjaky
Maximum Disappointment

Hapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Corsair ML, quiet as ****. Its what I use in mine.

6x Corsair ML120's on the Radiator in push/pull.

4x Corsair ML140's exhaust, 3 in the top one on the back.

I've also got two corsair commanders controlling everything, basically I just set the pump to max on the LCS and all the fans in the system are set to the lowest possible RPM.

I think its time to start an RGB war.

Who can out RGB who.
Intel Core i7 8700K @ 5.2GHz, Asus Maximus X Apex, GSkill Trident-Z Royal DDR4 3200MHz 32GB CAS14, EVGA FTW3 2080Ti Sixtuple SLI, Creative Labs Soundblaster E3, Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB, Corsair AXI 1500i PSU, ThermalTake View 71, Corsair K95 Platinum RGB, Corsair Dark Core RGB SE, Acer Predator X34, Windows 10 Professional X64
Hapatingjaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2020, 08:36 PM   #9
the_sextein
Radeon Evergreen

the_sextein knows why the caged bird singsthe_sextein knows why the caged bird singsthe_sextein knows why the caged bird singsthe_sextein knows why the caged bird singsthe_sextein knows why the caged bird sings

I agree with hapa, that sounds like a great idea. You guys should meet in person and compare machines. It's not gay as long as your power supplies don't touch.
Old Feb 18, 2020, 08:43 PM   #10
Megaman
Packing heat!

Megaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

The whole idea should revolve around us holding our cases on our shoulders with full RGB bling on show, like the old school 80s breakdown theme, and dance around in a circle see who can out do each other.......

I'll see myself out!
Old Feb 18, 2020, 09:34 PM   #11
KAC
That postcount though...

RGB strips. Mega gay you really are gay lol.
I see this ML 3 fan box for about 120 bones. Is that the one you gays talking about?

https://www.newegg.com/corsair-co-90...quicklink=true

Last edited by KAC : Feb 18, 2020 at 09:44 PM.
Old Feb 18, 2020, 09:47 PM   #12
Megaman
Packing heat!

Yes....because strips are a whole different kettle of fish to what this thread is trying to achieve
Old Feb 18, 2020, 10:05 PM   #13
the_sextein
Radeon Evergreen

Depends on what you mean by "strips" and what kind of "hardware" is being compared. KAC did say he wanted to go full RGB on is "putter". In fact, that is the first thing he typed when he started this thread
Old Feb 18, 2020, 10:56 PM   #14
KAC
That postcount though...

Yeah the level of gay gonna be crazy. Btw I am OK with not having synced RGB. Coz that like more disco in my rig when they don’t sync.
Old Feb 18, 2020, 11:07 PM   #15
Gandalfthewhite
Hardware Enthusiast

Gandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled with

Subscriber

EK-Vardar X3M 120ER D-RGB high static pressure and a solid PWM range they are dead silent at 800 rpm they also have a 140mm version. and have hookup cables to make my it easy to hook all the fans up to one RGB control header.

HOURGLASS = most appropriate named ICON/CURSOR in the Windows world :-)

In a dank corner of ATI central, the carpet covered with corn flakes, the faint sound of clicking can be heard........Click......click, click............as the fate of the graphics world and the future of the human race hangs in the balance.

I know....I know........Keep my day job :-)- catcather
Gandalfthewhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2020, 11:22 PM   #16
KAC
That postcount though...

I wouldn’t touch EK products again. They are flaky and a bunch of thieves.
Old Feb 19, 2020, 09:01 AM   #17
demo
space cadet

demo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

I bought a bunch of expensive Corsair ML RGB fans and LED strips only to realise I hate RGB and run them all white...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAC View Post

Yeh honestly I had a heap of Vardar fans on my last watercooled build and I think out of 8 fans, 2 died, and another 2 or 3 the bearings started to whine after around 8 months. Perhaps a dodgey batch, but bleh never EK fans again.

Never had an issue with their water blocks or fittings though, so I'll keep using them.
Old Feb 19, 2020, 09:38 AM   #18
KAC
That postcount though...

Had issues with Predator twice and second time they gave me the out of warranty bullshit after the pump died exactly 1 month after warranty expired.

Back to this thread. I think I will do RGB next month when I have some cash.
Old Feb 19, 2020, 10:46 AM   #19
KAC
That postcount though...

Btw the other option is that I have 3 white LED fans lying around and I make the rad fans all white?
Old Feb 19, 2020, 02:04 PM   #20
gamefoo21
Rage Furry X

Quote:
I hear you there.

They had some serious attitude issues with me when I had issues. The build quality of their gear is seriously lacking for the price.

I actually had to warranty a block and backplate because of the crap machining. The included thermal pads are horrid, no included instructions or even a link printed on a slip.

They also can't make decent coolants to save their lives it seems.

EK basically called me a liar because it was impossible for me to get a bad block and plate.

Also EK has started farming a lot of their products from China recently. While still charging premiums.

Heatware
Old Feb 19, 2020, 02:13 PM   #21
acroig
Master Troll

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Btw the other option is that I have 3 white LED fans lying around and I make the rad fans all white?
Try it, WTF?

yoz
Old Feb 19, 2020, 03:52 PM   #22
atomBomb
Diamond Stealth 2mb VRAM

atomBomb is still being judged by the masses

Folding@home

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by acroig View Post
Try it, WTF?
KAC with his RGB rainbows:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1bFr2SWP1I

pc-masterrace
atomBomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2020, 04:05 PM   #23
the_sextein
Radeon Evergreen

I didn't have any problems with my old EK water loop which consisted of dual D5 pumps, reservoir, CPU block, 3 GPU blocks and 2 radiators. However, I did have problems with their Cryofuel coolant. I cleaned my system every 6 months but ended up getting some algae growth and ended up making my own mix from there on out. Total pain in the arse to flush the system and disassemble all of my blocks, replace my tubing ect.

Their varder fans worked ok for me. They are not as quiet at Noctua fans but if you buy the ones with a lower threshold you can usually get decent noise levels. I ended up going with all Noctua fans eventually though.
Old Feb 19, 2020, 05:56 PM   #24
Evileh
Keep your pimp hip strong

Evileh knows why the caged bird singsEvileh knows why the caged bird singsEvileh knows why the caged bird singsEvileh knows why the caged bird singsEvileh knows why the caged bird sings

clean up your wiring man lol
Battlefield 3 Stats
Xfire evilgenius84
Xbox Live Gamer's Tag: Evileh

Sittal on BF2142 "
wtf. seriously. this has got to be the worst game i have EVER played. far worse than left behind."
Evileh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2020, 06:20 PM   #25
Hapatingjaky
Maximum Disappointment

Hapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evileh View Post
Its better then it was.
Intel Core i7 8700K @ 5.2GHz, Asus Maximus X Apex, GSkill Trident-Z Royal DDR4 3200MHz 32GB CAS14, EVGA FTW3 2080Ti Sixtuple SLI, Creative Labs Soundblaster E3, Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB, Corsair AXI 1500i PSU, ThermalTake View 71, Corsair K95 Platinum RGB, Corsair Dark Core RGB SE, Acer Predator X34, Windows 10 Professional X64
Old Feb 19, 2020, 07:58 PM   #26
KAC
That postcount though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evileh View Post
Ain’t nobody got time for that.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 10:38 AM   #27
KAC
That postcount though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by acroig View Post
Try it, WTF?
Maybe will do this weekend.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 12:05 PM   #28
acroig
Master Troll

Quote:
Maybe will do this weekend.
Cool.

yoz
Old Feb 20, 2020, 06:03 PM   #29
Megaman
Packing heat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hapatingjaky View Post
I've also got two corsair commanders controlling everything, basically I just set the pump to max on the LCS and all the fans in the system are set to the lowest possible RPM.

I don't know how I should set up fan curves for mine. You say you have your 4 exhaust fans set on the lowest rpm? I got my 4 gradually increasing to 1600 rpm as the temps rise and it gets quite loud. Not sure if I should halve those to about 1000 rpm but I feel like they doing some serious exhausting as they are now, not quite sure.

How are your fan curves on those 4 fans? Are they flat or do they gradually increase?
Old Feb 20, 2020, 07:34 PM   #30
Hapatingjaky
Maximum Disappointment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megaman View Post
I don't know how I should set up fan curves for mine. You say you have your 4 exhaust fans set on the lowest rpm? I got my 4 gradually increasing to 1600 rpm as the temps rise and it gets quite loud. Not sure if I should halve those to about 1000 rpm but I feel like they doing some serious exhausting as they are now, not quite sure.

How are your fan curves on those 4 fans? Are they flat or do they gradually increase?
I just set quiet in I-Poo and then uninstall it.