Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Community and Site Discussions » Off Topic Lounge
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Off Topic Lounge Discuss anything you want here folks. A place for computer junkies to boldly post Off Topic... Rant and rave if it is necessary, but just try to keep it clean!

Old Dec 2, 2019, 02:26 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
gamefoo21
Rage Furry X

gamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badges

PC Master Race Apple... Want to update your OS? Well, not so fast...

Well I hope you have a current Apple account configured on the latest iOSX....

I had to fight a system that a person has mostly had just sitting around, so it had 10.8... On Windows it's easy but not so on iOSX...

God, does Apple make things needlessly difficult. Want to update, well better have an Apple account, oh you need to have multi-stage verification and the account payment options set up on the latest version of iOSX. Oh and we'll just break ****, and not tell you about updates...

Windows 10, still lets you update and install free apps from the Microsoft store without get this an Account... Oh you want to update Windows 10, well you can do that without an account, oh you have the OG 10, well we'll update you to 1703, then to the latest version...

Apple... You scum you sit there with 10.8 and rot. Manually forced it to 10.8.5, because it refused to install the updates or the incremental firmware updates even after deleting them, I had to manually install them. Once 10.8.5 was on, then it was trying to get at an upgrader for 10.11, which if you download manually plops an install app hidden amongst the utilities without saying anything. Want the free update on the app store better have that fully activated and set up Apple account, then to onto 10.11.something and oh by the way want to install updates to the OS and core apps, better have that Apple account and multi-point account verification, just to update OSX... Then it broke her software with upgrading to 10.15.1, and it gimped itself even until I could get the owner to turn on something that it needed to triple confirm that you were supposed to touch this thing. Installed Bootcamp, first try resulted in a grey screen boot failure, then it couldn't boot the thumb drive... Second round installed, got Bootcamp all set up, and it won't reboot into OSX without going into recovery...

Oh and Apple, why do you insist on burning the hardware with horrible fan curves. Idling the fan up to 80 or 90'C isn't healthy.

Luckily the user wants me to leave it on 10 Pro, so the fact that the Bootcamp control app can't even reboot to OSX, is a good thing... lol

Also updated the wildly out of date drivers that Apple bundles and this is the latest version of Bootcamp.

/rant

So OSX has been restricted to a small portion of the SSD and has been for the most part forgotten about. Finder is such a pile of junk... yuck...

Besides updating and fixing her Apple account issues and installing 10. I also bumped it from 4GB to 16GB of ram and replaced the SATA2 5400RPM 500GB Hitachi HDD with a 1TB MX500.

How does a Mid 2012 MBP13 i5 2.5, do now that it's actually got a proper fan curve, new thermal goo, clean cooler and it's running 10 Pro x64 v1909...

PCMark10 score is 2450ish
XTU Bench is at 321pts at 77'C
BootRacer clocks it at around 29seconds
Userbenchmark gives 12%/44%/24% IIRC

These are with every day settings, but with the latest drivers and all updates. Not terrible for an i5 3210M with nothing but an HD4000 iGPU.

Also I noticed that starting in 10.11, it couldn't read the hard drive's SMART status, under 10.15.1 it also claims the MX500 isn't SMART compatible. Under 10 the MX500 SMART functionality is fully functioning. On the flip side the SATA port performance isn't so great, despite my best efforts. Maybe I need to figure out which version of Rapid Storage a 7 series/C216 chipset uses and install that.

Oh and Intel reports that the CPU is configured with 100W and 120W turbo boost peaks by default on this thing. That's aggressive for a 35W rated cpu.

Anyway, what good is a local account, when it won't let you do anything. Apple could easily handle the upgrades and updates better too.

Oh and the 65W mag safe cable is falling apart in it's usual way. The battery has apparently lost 15% of it's capacity from 57.7Wh to 42.0Wh. Mostly from age I think as it's not been used much, as the owner said it's sat in her closet mostly since she bought it.

Heatware

Last edited by gamefoo21 : Yesterday at 05:21 PM. Reason: Fixed scores
gamefoo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2019, 04:21 PM   #2
logical
What is my purpose?

logical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

If you work with macs that need updating you should just keep the dmg on hand. You can google for it if you just dont want to go through the app store its out there.

Sounds like another easy day at the office.

logical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2019, 08:04 AM   #3
Alientank
Piss flaps

Alientank kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshAlientank kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshAlientank kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshAlientank kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshAlientank kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshAlientank kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshAlientank kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshAlientank kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshAlientank kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshAlientank kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

The solution is not to use apple products.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saggypoo View Post
It's happening to Jupiter now? Usually there's objects constantly slamming against Uranus.
Alientank is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Dec 3, 2019, 09:33 AM   #4
Hapatingjaky
Maximum Disappointment

Hapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Had to do 2 MAC's here recently.

First one was a dead HDD in it, the owner took it too the Apple store, they told him his HDD was dead 500GB and his CPU fan was dead. Told him $800 for the repair. He just walked out, so I went to Memory Express and bought a 500GB drive for $70.00 and did the MAC restore online. Worked like a charm.

Second was a Mac Book Pro the kid spilt Vodka all over. He too went to the Apple Store, they wanted to do a spill test and replace the keyboard. $900 in total. I ordered a keyboard off Ebay for $30 and put it in. Works great.
Intel Core i7 8700K @ 5.2GHz, Asus Maximus X Apex, GSkill Trident-Z 16GB DDR4 4266MHz CAS19, Asus Strix 1080Ti OC, Creative Labs Soundblaster E3, Samsung 970 Pro 1TB, Corsair AXI 1500i PSU, ThermalTake View 71, Corsair K95 Platinum RGB, Corsair Dark Core RGB SE, Acer Predator X34, Windows 10 Professional X64
Hapatingjaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2019, 11:00 AM   #5
KAC
That postcount though...

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

I hope you charged them 500 a pop for your services.
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2019, 11:28 AM   #6
Hapatingjaky
Maximum Disappointment

Hapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAC View Post
I hope you charged them 500 a pop for your services.
Only in cockslaps bro, only in cockslaps.
Intel Core i7 8700K @ 5.2GHz, Asus Maximus X Apex, GSkill Trident-Z 16GB DDR4 4266MHz CAS19, Asus Strix 1080Ti OC, Creative Labs Soundblaster E3, Samsung 970 Pro 1TB, Corsair AXI 1500i PSU, ThermalTake View 71, Corsair K95 Platinum RGB, Corsair Dark Core RGB SE, Acer Predator X34, Windows 10 Professional X64
Hapatingjaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2019, 01:43 PM   #7
g-a-m-e
oh yeah

g-a-m-e can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyg-a-m-e can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyg-a-m-e can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Apple really is for suckers.

Check out this guy btw, funny stuff : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlvlgmjMi98

i7 3770K (4,8 ghz)
COrsair 8GB DDR3 1600 mhz
GTX 1080 Ti
BenQ XL 2540
Coolermaster 1000 watt PSU
Samsung w840(?) SSD
http://www.tweakguides.com/Piracy_1.html

Martin Slater, 2K games, (Bioshock) about piracy:
"You can't afford to be cracked. As soon as you're gone, you're gone, and your sales drop astronomically if you've got a day-one crack"
g-a-m-e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2019, 11:43 PM   #8
0091/2
We Do It!

0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-a-m-e View Post
Apple really is for suckers.

Check out this guy btw, funny stuff : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlvlgmjMi98
They're really for suckers. Apple has shitty warranty too.

Current Desktop [2016]
Monitor: NEC EA244wmi | CPU: Intel 3570k @4.2ghz | Heatsink: NH-D14 | GPU: Intel HD4000 | Mobo: ASUS P8Z77-v pro | WiFi: Asus PCEAC68 | SSD: Samsung 860Pro 512GB/ 830pro 128GB | HDD: WD Black 8========D~13TB | PSU: Seasonic Plat. 660w
0091/2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2019, 02:10 AM   #9
daPhoenix
Snow White Nurse

daPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0091/2 View Post
They're really for suckers. Apple has shitty warranty too.
I wouldn't say that - my MBP's that have needed any service (which is to say once in the last 5 years) was serviced in less than 4 hours by Apple Certified store.

I guess it's country dependent but here their service is ultra fast, at least for us business users.

Edit:
Also it's funny to look at these 'conversations' because people completely forget all the issues they've had with "vanilla" PC hardware, OS, software or patches. Windows 10 has never bricked any machines, never had driver issues, never had software issues - it's all smooth sailing and only "insert product here" has issues. It's like talking to people who drive BMW's - they never have issues, except when they do but you suddenly forget all about them when you have to mock other manufacturers.

Last edited by daPhoenix : Dec 5, 2019 at 02:16 AM.
daPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2019, 02:25 AM   #10
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Trunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird sings

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by daPhoenix View Post
I wouldn't say that - my MBP's that have needed any service (which is to say once in the last 5 years) was serviced in less than 4 hours by Apple Certified store.

I guess it's country dependent but here their service is ultra fast, at least for us business users.
Yea but that entire set of generation of Butterfly switch Macbooks are not going to last like the previous generation. At least they extended the keyboard support to 4yrs regardless of AppleCare. But you have to make your way to a service center/Apple store.

System:
Gigabyte Z87X D3H - Intel i5 4670k @ 4Ghz - CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Black RGB - 16Gb Kingston HyperX Black DDR3-1600 - Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD±RW - Samsung 850 Evo 250Gib - 4TiB Seagate - Asus Radeon R9 Fury STRIX - X-Fi Go! Pro(darkside lives on) - Windows 10 64-bit
Trunks0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2019, 02:55 AM   #11
daPhoenix
Snow White Nurse

daPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunks0 View Post
Yea but that entire set of generation of Butterfly switch Macbooks are not going to last like the previous generation. At least they extended the keyboard support to 4yrs regardless of AppleCare. But you have to make your way to a service center/Apple store.
I fully agree, the butterfly keyboard is a piece of **** and should have never been implemented, anywhere.
daPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2019, 10:34 AM   #12
globalist
Rage3D Veteran

globalist can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyglobalist can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
It's like talking to people who drive BMW's - they never have issues, except when they do but you suddenly forget all about them when you have to mock other manufacturers.
Funny you mention BMW in an Apple thread - reminds me of that one time I rode with my friend in his BMW and it refused to recognize my USB-connected iPhone as a music source. We googled and turns out you need to purchase a 90EUR (at the time) accesory - a special, BMW-branded USB-to-lightning cable - to enable this.
globalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2019, 10:56 AM   #13
0091/2
We Do It!

0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with

Quote:

Edit:
Also it's funny to look at these 'conversations' because people completely forget all the issues they've had with "vanilla" PC hardware, OS, software or patches. Windows 10 has never bricked any machines, never had driver issues, never had software issues - it's all smooth sailing and only "insert product here" has issues. It's like talking to people who drive BMW's - they never have issues, except when they do but you suddenly forget all about them when you have to mock other manufacturers.
Apple doesn't do a good job warranty their defective designs. There's a class-action lawsuit on the Macbook keyboard. Why are they using the same design for years when it's proven unreliable?!

Current Desktop [2016]
Monitor: NEC EA244wmi | CPU: Intel 3570k @4.2ghz | Heatsink: NH-D14 | GPU: Intel HD4000 | Mobo: ASUS P8Z77-v pro | WiFi: Asus PCEAC68 | SSD: Samsung 860Pro 512GB/ 830pro 128GB | HDD: WD Black 8========D~13TB | PSU: Seasonic Plat. 660w
0091/2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2019, 11:00 AM   #14
logical
What is my purpose?

logical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by globalist View Post
Funny you mention BMW in an Apple thread - reminds me of that one time I rode with my friend in his BMW and it refused to recognize my USB-connected iPhone as a music source. We googled and turns out you need to purchase a 90EUR (at the time) accesory - a special, BMW-branded USB-to-lightning cable - to enable this.
Tell your friend not to cheap out on the features of his BMW if hes going to spend money on one

Most BMWs come with a combox from the factory they just arent activated(it will cost you whatever BMW charges to activate it) If he has the combox he can just code it in himself with a cell phone and an odb2 adapter and bypass BMW costs. If he doesnt have a combox he can retrofit one.

logical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:46 PM   #15
gamefoo21
Rage Furry X

gamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badges

First up... I rarely do any serious work on Apple products anymore and as far as I can gather since 10.14, Apple hasn't made the DMGs available for download. Forcing normal users to go through the App store. It's actually surprising how many people with 10.8 or 10.8.5 think they are stuck on that version of the OS. The app store won't install 10.11 for some reason, and guess what happens with 10.15, it says no go unless you have 10.9 no upgrades.

It's definitely not consumer 'friendly' making getting those free upgrades so hard. I consider it hard because your average Mac user is proud that they don't need to know how to work their computer.

Also I see Apple built in protection for the Magsafes or they gimped Windows on purpose. The system maxes out at 52W draw on a 65W adapter. I drop the display from 100% brightness, and the power drops to 43W then rebounds to 51W. It's kind of ironic because you can see the throttling happening, but it never gets over 85'C, and it's not tripping the power or thermal throttling.

Either way the new screen is legit, and looks like new, too bad about those TN viewing angles.

I will say the sound is pretty impressive out of the stock squeakers, though the one forward and one bottom firing kind of kills the stereo imaging unless it's on the right surface. The audio codec is reporting to Windows as being 32bit/386khz capable, and it plays sound at that setting.

Oh and it even handles 4K in VP9 for about 5 seconds before it suddenly starts dumping frames.

I really want to see if the scores go up with an 85W MagSafe, but I don't have one at hand, and my faker is a v2 head.

Heatware
gamefoo21 is offline   Reply With Quote