Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Graphics Technology Forums » AMD Radeon Discussion and Support
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

AMD Radeon Discussion and Support General discussion, tweaking, overclocking and technical support questions about discrete Radeon graphics products.

Old Nov 22, 2020, 02:09 PM   #91
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
SuperGeil
Radeon R420

SuperGeil is still being judged by the masses

Folding@home

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirBaron View Post
WoW and ray tracing shadows is such a ****ing dumb idea, I mean seriously what a waste
Wieso denn?
SuperGeil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2020, 03:44 PM   #92
LordHawkwind
Harbinger of Doom

LordHawkwind can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyLordHawkwind can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyLordHawkwind can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

ATI Technologies

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill dennison View Post
Ray tracing games you can play right now:

Amid Evil
Battlefield V............. not my bag
Bright Memory
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare (2019)........... not my bag
Call Of Duty: Black Ops Cold War........... not my bag
Control..................................... = ok a little boring
Crysis Remastered ...................... = not again
Deliver Us The Moon
Fortnite
Ghostrunner
Justice
Mechwarrior V: Mercenaries
Metro Exodus .......................... = good
Minecraft
Moonlight Blade
Pumpkin Jack
Quake II RTX
Shadow of the Tomb Raider............... = fair
Stay in the Light
Watch Dogs Legion..................... = fair
Wolfenstein: Youngblood................ = trash

the others i had no interest in sorry

been waiting on Atomic Heart since before i got my 2080 ti = it may never happen

got hope for Dying Light 2
I've got BFV so it would be nice to try that but only other game I might buy on PC is Dirt 5. Absolutely not interested in the rest TBH. Not my cup of tea.
Ryzen 7 3800X, ASUS Prime X470 Pro, KFA2 RTX 3090 SG, 16GB Crucial DDR4 LPX 3000 Ram, iiyama G-Master GB3466WQSU 3440x1440 freesync 144hz, 250gb Samsung SSD, 750mb Seagate SSHD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda H/D, 1 TB Samsung H/D, 850w PSU, Windows 10
LordHawkwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2020, 03:55 PM   #93
demo
space cadet

demo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

BFV RT is nothing special, just reflections.
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Nov 22, 2020, 04:22 PM   #94
acroig
Master Troll

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Deliver us the Moon is a fun game and looks great with RT.

yoz
acroig is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2020, 05:05 PM   #95
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Subscriber

Ghostrunner's RT's looks good... but the game looks awesome without as well.

System:
Gigabyte Z87X D3H - Intel i5 4670k @ 4.2Ghz - CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Black RGB - 16Gb Kingston HyperX Black DDR3-1600 - Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD±RW - Samsung 850 Evo 250Gib - 4TiB Seagate - Asus Radeon R9 Fury STRIX - Creative AE-5 Plus - Windows 10 64-bit
Trunks0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2020, 05:51 PM   #96
Falck
Radeon R520

Falck is still being judged by the masses

Quick technical question:

If RDNA2 needs to do ray-tracing, will that render the CU's needed for RT exclusive to RT rendering and other rendertasks needs to be done in other non-RT running CU's?

Or can 1 CU do it all at the "same time"? (Since we're not there where it's all RT.)

tried Googling that, but haven't found a good answer.
Falck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2020, 07:33 PM   #97
SuperGeil
Radeon R420

Folding@home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falck View Post
Quick technical question:

If RDNA2 needs to do ray-tracing, will that render the CU's needed for RT exclusive to RT rendering and other rendertasks needs to be done in other non-RT running CU's?

Or can 1 CU do it all at the "same time"? (Since we're not there where it's all RT.)

tried Googling that, but haven't found a good answer.
their are dedicated ray tracing units, one per compute unit. 72 ray tracing units in the XT, and 60 and the non, 80 in the 6900. The compute unit won't stop what it is doing just for ray tracing
Old Nov 22, 2020, 07:42 PM   #98
Megaman
Packing heat!

Megaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

A new member to rage3D. Welcome aboard.

How did you manage to create an account?
Megaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2020, 10:52 PM   #99
pax
Rage3D Spammer

pax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird sings

Anyone seen benches of Godfall with and without RT? I know the patch only came out 4 days ago but was wondering what the penalty was on the 6800's...

Piledriver Rig 2016: Gigabyte G1 gaming 990fx. FX 8350 cpu. XFX RX 480 GTR Cats 21.2.2, SoundBlaster ZXR, 2 x 8 gig ddr3 1866 Kingston. 1 x 2tb Firecuda seagate with 8 gig mlc SSHD. Sharp 60" 4k 60 hz tv. Win 10 home.

Ryzen Rig 2017: Gigabyte X370 K7 F50d bios. Ryzen 1700x. 2 x 8 ddr4 3600 (@3200) Gskill. Sapphire Vega 64 Reference Cooler Cats 21.2.2. Soundblaster X Ae5, 32" Dell S3220DGF 1440p Freesync Premium Pro monitor, Kingston A2000 1TB NVME. 4 TB HGST NAS HD. Win 10 pro.

Ignore List: Keystone... -My Baron he wishes to inform you that vendetta, as he puts it in the ancient tongue, the art of kanlee is still alive... He does not wish to meet or speak with you...-
"Either half my colleagues are enormously stupid, or else the science of darwinism is fully compatible with conventional religious beliefs and equally compatible with atheism." -Stephen Jay Gould, Rock of Ages.
"The Intelligibility of the Universe itself needs explanation. It is not the gaps of understanding of the world that points to God but rather the very comprehensibility of scientific and other forms of understanding that requires an explanation." -Richard Swinburne

www.realitysandwich.com

www.makepovertyhistory.org
pax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2020, 11:15 PM   #100
Leprechaun
Radeon Arctic Islands

Leprechaun can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyLeprechaun can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

My MSI x570 motherboard has a BIOS update to allow SAM. Will this work even with a 3900x cpu or turning it on will do jack squat? Just preplanning and wondering in case a 6800xt does become available before a 3080 pops up.
Old Nov 22, 2020, 11:30 PM   #101
Gandalfthewhite
Hardware Enthusiast

Gandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled with

Subscriber

for now it will do jack squat AMD needs to enable support for older cpus. Hopefully that will also be smart and enable it as an option in ryzen master to make control of the setting easier

HOURGLASS = most appropriate named ICON/CURSOR in the Windows world :-)

In a dank corner of ATI central, the carpet covered with corn flakes, the faint sound of clicking can be heard........Click......click, click............as the fate of the graphics world and the future of the human race hangs in the balance.

I know....I know........Keep my day job :-)- catcather
Gandalfthewhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2020, 11:38 PM   #102
bill dennison
Banned

bill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
All MSI’s X570, B550 & A520 Motherboards Feature Support For AMD’s Smart Access Memory Feature
https://wccftech.com/msi-x570-b550-a...access-memory/

for now it seems to be a bios switch

and 5000 CPU's
bill dennison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2020, 12:34 AM   #103
demo
space cadet

demo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by pax View Post
Anyone seen benches of Godfall with and without RT? I know the patch only came out 4 days ago but was wondering what the penalty was on the 6800's...
I haven't seen benches but what I've noticed is AMD does OK with only RT shadows. Godfalls only RT effects are shadows, no other effects, so I expect it'll do OK. Tomb Raider is the same.

Once GI, AO, Reflections etc are added to the mix, 6800 shiits the bed.
Old Nov 23, 2020, 12:56 AM   #104
pax
Rage3D Spammer

pax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird sings

I think WOW was only shadows...

Piledriver Rig 2016: Gigabyte G1 gaming 990fx. FX 8350 cpu. XFX RX 480 GTR Cats 21.2.2, SoundBlaster ZXR, 2 x 8 gig ddr3 1866 Kingston. 1 x 2tb Firecuda seagate with 8 gig mlc SSHD. Sharp 60" 4k 60 hz tv. Win 10 home.

Ryzen Rig 2017: Gigabyte X370 K7 F50d bios. Ryzen 1700x. 2 x 8 ddr4 3600 (@3200) Gskill. Sapphire Vega 64 Reference Cooler Cats 21.2.2. Soundblaster X Ae5, 32" Dell S3220DGF 1440p Freesync Premium Pro monitor, Kingston A2000 1TB NVME. 4 TB HGST NAS HD. Win 10 pro.

Ignore List: Keystone... -My Baron he wishes to inform you that vendetta, as he puts it in the ancient tongue, the art of kanlee is still alive... He does not wish to meet or speak with you...-
"Either half my colleagues are enormously stupid, or else the science of darwinism is fully compatible with conventional religious beliefs and equally compatible with atheism." -Stephen Jay Gould, Rock of Ages.
"The Intelligibility of the Universe itself needs explanation. It is not the gaps of understanding of the world that points to God but rather the very comprehensibility of scientific and other forms of understanding that requires an explanation." -Richard Swinburne

www.realitysandwich.com

www.makepovertyhistory.org
pax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2020, 01:26 AM   #105
demo
space cadet

Yeh, it did pretty well in WoW.
Old Nov 23, 2020, 03:02 AM   #106
Falck
Radeon R520

Falck is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGeil View Post
their are dedicated ray tracing units, one per compute unit. 72 ray tracing units in the XT, and 60 and the non, 80 in the 6900. The compute unit won't stop what it is doing just for ray tracing
Thanks for the answer!

I too thought so, that it's the schedulers task to keep the CU fed.

Do you know any references to where AMD states the CU won't go RT exclusive?
Falck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2020, 11:29 AM   #107
SuperGeil
Radeon R420

Folding@home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megaman View Post
A new member to rage3D. Welcome aboard.

How did you manage to create an account?
it was a tad tedious.

Quote:
Thanks for the answer!

I too thought so, that it's the schedulers task to keep the CU fed.

I dont know any, sorry. But it would be a bad idea. The reason why the ray unit is in the CU is so that it has access to the same data pools as the rest of GPU. It would be a waste of silicon if the ray unit was outside the compute unit pipeline. For the same reason why a CU is not dedicating to just texturing or shading.
Old Nov 23, 2020, 04:12 PM   #108
jesdals
R300

jesdals is still being judged by the masses

Any solid info about 6900xt will it be reference only or is there going to be cards with custom designs - could realy do with 3x Displayport

Club 3D HD7870XT, P5Q Deluxe, [email protected], 8GB PC8500, 250GB 7200.10, 320GB 7200.11, 500GB+750GB 7200.12 Antec 1000W and Antec 300 tower.

All win 10 64 bit
jesdals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2020, 05:03 PM   #109
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesdals View Post
Any solid info about 6900xt will it be reference only or is there going to be cards with custom designs - could realy do with 3x Displayport
The air cooled Strix pictured on page 3 looks like it will have 3xDP and 1xHDMi.

System:
Gigabyte Z87X D3H - Intel i5 4670k @ 4.2Ghz - CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Black RGB - 16Gb Kingston HyperX Black DDR3-1600 - Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD±RW - Samsung 850 Evo 250Gib - 4TiB Seagate - Asus Radeon R9 Fury STRIX - Creative AE-5 Plus - Windows 10 64-bit
Trunks0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2020, 05:17 PM   #110
LordHawkwind
Harbinger of Doom

LordHawkwind can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyLordHawkwind can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyLordHawkwind can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

ATI Technologies

So my cunning plan is on a knife edge. Spoke to the Sales Manager and he asked me which card I'd like and he'd reserve it but he'd need to speak product team to see if they were getting any cards. Will ring me tomorrow (yeah) so I'll ring him again but noticed they are not on AMD's UK distributors list so must buy off wholesaler.

Fingers crossed but think it's a Baldric cunning plan that doesn't work. They are on Nvidia's distributors so might just buy a 3080 if I can. Surely AMD AIB's want to sell as many cards as possible so I think we know where the bottleneck is

TBH I would be happy going to the Green team this time as AMD cards seem to be even more vapour ware here in Europe. If AMD don't want my business I'm fine with that same goes for their vapour ware 5xxx CPU

Can AMD really ignore the European market and prosper. Wow? Brave decision Lisa Su. If you only supply USA for six months when supply meets demands are we really bothered? NO. After that you need to reduce prices to make us interested most Europeans will buy Intel/Nvidia Make America great again or maybe not ;lol:
Ryzen 7 3800X, ASUS Prime X470 Pro, KFA2 RTX 3090 SG, 16GB Crucial DDR4 LPX 3000 Ram, iiyama G-Master GB3466WQSU 3440x1440 freesync 144hz, 250gb Samsung SSD, 750mb Seagate SSHD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda H/D, 1 TB Samsung H/D, 850w PSU, Windows 10
LordHawkwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2020, 05:45 PM   #111
acroig
Master Troll

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Is that all of EU or just UK? I mean after Brexit maybe you guys don't get none?

yoz
Old Nov 24, 2020, 02:38 AM   #112
jesdals
R300

jesdals is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunks0 View Post
The air cooled Strix pictured on page 3 looks like it will have 3xDP and 1xHDMi.
But they are all 6800 series cards, any info about 6900XT with custom designs?

Club 3D HD7870XT, P5Q Deluxe, [email protected], 8GB PC8500, 250GB 7200.10, 320GB 7200.11, 500GB+750GB 7200.12 Antec 1000W and Antec 300 tower.

All win 10 64 bit
jesdals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2020, 02:43 AM   #113
bill dennison
Banned

bill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesdals View Post
But they are all 6800 series cards, any info about 6900XT with custom designs?
only rumors so far

Quote:
ASUS Radeon RX 6900 ROG STRIX series spotted at EEC

https://videocardz.com/newz/asus-rad...spotted-at-eec
Old Nov 24, 2020, 04:03 AM   #114
bobvodka
Sleeping.

bobvodka once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'bobvodka once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'bobvodka once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'bobvodka once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'bobvodka once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'bobvodka once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGeil View Post
I dont know any, sorry. But it would be a bad idea. The reason why the ray unit is in the CU is so that it has access to the same data pools as the rest of GPU. It would be a waste of silicon if the ray unit was outside the compute unit pipeline. For the same reason why a CU is not dedicating to just texturing or shading.
Comments from AMD, referenced earlier in this thread, seem to imply that the GPU will prioritise RT workloads on some CUs - originally people read this as a certain percentage of CUs were only able to do RT workloads.

So if you've a pool of 80, maybe 20 of them will get RT workloads pushed to them and the other 60 will continue doing only normal gfx/compute workloads.

That's not to say that the other 20 will only do RT, but it does seem to imply that if you launch some RT work on the GPU it will direct it to those CUs and only use them for other things if they have space.

This makes sense if they are trying to keep data structures in cache close to the CUs in question - having all the BVH data in one place would improve performance.

Also, RT workloads are likely to have a higher memory/register file requirement than normal gfx/compute workloads - they have to store state and access a lot of data. So, placing them all on one set of CUs might have some advantages there when it comes to swapping thread groups in and out of execution; it also means that your other CUs don't get a bunch of RT work using up their register file space, meaning you can potentially keep more other work running on them.

Using made up numbers, if your CU has 20 slots in a register file, lets say RT takes up 5 slots and pixel shading takes up 4, if you push all your RT work to one CU then it can keep 4 pieces of work in flight, if you then push your pixel work to another it can keep 5 in flight, for a total of 9 chunks of work. Now if you mix the workloads and place 2 RT one each CU, then you get 4 RT still, but you can only host 4 pixel work loads in total across both CU, for a total of 8.

All this also implies it is software configurable, so likely if they want to change it they can on a per title basis - also if DXR1.1 style becomes increasingly common (where you can throw out a ray cast from any shader stage, not just from pure RT workloads) that might change how work is distributed on the hardware, again, per title.

However until AMD release documents on the GPU design and some ISA stuff it is largely a degree of speculation as to what is going on.
bobvodka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2020, 04:13 AM   #115
Bitey
Radeon Northern Islands

Bitey is still being judged by the masses

What do you think about a possible separate RT pass, eg all CU's used for raster then all CU's for and RT pass.
I am thinking even if that worked it may introduce to much latency?
Bitey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2020, 01:04 PM   #116
SIrPauly
Did someone say, RGSSAA?

SIrPauly can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultySIrPauly can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultySIrPauly can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Amd discussing Dxr 1.1 and denoising:

https://youtu.be/cC-DDAq3PCM
Old Nov 24, 2020, 01:34 PM   #117
Cream
Radeon R700

Cream can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyCream can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyCream can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by acroig View Post
Is that all of EU or just UK? I mean after Brexit maybe you guys don't get none?
So we get some?
16GB Corsair DDR4 ,1TB 970 EVO plus / 1TB SSD 860 evo / 2TB SSD 870 QVO / 2X 1TB SSD 870 QVO, 2TB hybrid drive storage drive,
Zowie FK1, Oculus CV1, Logitech G920, black widow Ultimate, Xbox one pad. Saitec X-55 H.O.T.A.S.
Cream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2020, 02:08 PM   #118
acroig
Master Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cream View Post
So we get some?
Sorry, that's 'murican for "you don't get any".

yoz
Old Nov 24, 2020, 02:16 PM   #119
bill dennison
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by acroig View Post
Sorry, that's 'murican for "you don't get any".

NV or AMD i don't think 99% of the stock ever leaves silicon valley
Old Nov 24, 2020, 02:55 PM   #120
acroig
Master Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill dennison View Post

NV or AMD i don't think 99% of the stock ever leaves silicon valley
Seriously!

yoz