Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Graphics Technology Forums » AMD Radeon Software Discussion and Support
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

AMD Radeon Software Discussion and Support Discussion and Technical support forum for AMD's Radeon Software.

Old Dec 6, 2016, 10:16 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

bill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Default AMD Readies Massive Radeon Software Update with Crimson Relive Drivers – Performance

Quote:
AMD Readies Massive Radeon Software Update with Crimson Relive Drivers – Performance Increases For Radeon GCN Cards Across The Board
http://wccftech.com/amd-radeon-softw...e-driver-leak/

Quote:
Radeon Software Crimson ReLive Edition 16.12.1 Release Notes

http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-arti...ase-Notes.aspx

Last edited by bill dennison : Dec 8, 2016 at 11:09 AM.
bill dennison is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2016, 11:40 AM   #2
Argoon1981
Radeon Northern Islands

Argoon1981 once held a door open for a complete strangerArgoon1981 once held a door open for a complete strangerArgoon1981 once held a door open for a complete strangerArgoon1981 once held a door open for a complete stranger

Will this stop the AMD drivers are bad myth? I don't think so. No matter what AMD does they still get the bad press just look at some comments on the comment section of that article to see it, is like, if AMD is making better drivers then the older ones surely were bad or AMD didn't knew how to code to its own hardware...

No people AMD makes the hardware, they know perfectly the ins and outs of it, without knowing more about it, i assume they are just refactoring their old software, they started on the interface side, now perhaps they went deeper, perhaps removing unnecessary stuff and optimizing others, is a normal thing to do when a code base reaches a certain age and complexity.

Is like D3D11/OpenGL vs Vulkan/D3D12, is not like the past graphics API's were bad code or not optimized code or even bad design, they are just a old software design and paradigm, carrying a very old baggage that in this day and age doesn't really serve the new hardware design and games necessities, specially AAA games.

IMO this is exactly what is happening to AMD GPU drivers their old design was not bad is just not well suited to their "new" GCN GPU's so why this article claims the new drivers increase performance for GCN only.

I was never a AMD fanboy but later i'm more and more sounding like one, all because day after day i'm seeing that this company is getting shafted not because it really deserves it, but because the other side has a bigger army of fanboys willing to lie and fight for it and a army of misinformed users recommending it like there's nothing better around.
Creative SB Audigy 4
W10 64bits

My modeling portfolio
Argoon1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2016, 11:51 AM   #3
GTwannabe
Radeon Northern Islands

GTwannabe once held a door open for a complete strangerGTwannabe once held a door open for a complete strangerGTwannabe once held a door open for a complete stranger

AMD is getting a lot of mileage out of their GCN architecture. Driver support is quite good now.
GTwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Dec 6, 2016, 01:02 PM   #4
LordHawkwind
Not a fanboy or Nvidiot

LordHawkwind can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyLordHawkwind can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

ATI Technologies

I'll reserve judgement until I see if it does anything for my Fury Pro. The freesync info looks interesting.
Ryzen 7 2700, ASUS Prime X470 Pro, Sapphire Radeon Pulse 5700XT, 16GB Crucial DDR4 LPX 3000 Ram, Acer XF270HU freesync monitor at 1440p and 144hz, 250gb Samsung Evo 850 SSD, 750mb Seagate Momentus XT SSHD, 1 TB Samsung Spinpoint H/D, 850w PSU, Windows 10
LordHawkwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2016, 07:37 PM   #5
nutcrackr
OT Moderator

nutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

It adds their version of shadowplay, so no need for another program like plays.tv

Wattman for R9 FURY/300/200

H.265 encoding.

Freesync in borderless fullscreen

7950/7970 still supported

Free, no registration required
nutcrackr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2016, 08:14 PM   #6
Kombatant
K to the max!™

Kombatant can recite pi backwardsKombatant can recite pi backwardsKombatant can recite pi backwardsKombatant can recite pi backwardsKombatant can recite pi backwardsKombatant can recite pi backwardsKombatant can recite pi backwards

Subscriber

Why does everyone call it "their version of shadowplay" like nvidia invented the stuff or something?
Old Dec 6, 2016, 09:21 PM   #7
Gandalfthewhite
Hardware Enthusiast

Gandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled with

Subscriber

because Nvidia made it so seamless and came up with a good name. Don't agree with it but marketing.

HOURGLASS = most appropriate named ICON/CURSOR in the Windows world :-)

In a dank corner of ATI central, the carpet covered with corn flakes, the faint sound of clicking can be heard........Click......click, click............as the fate of the graphics world and the future of the human race hangs in the balance.

I know....I know........Keep my day job :-)- catcather
Gandalfthewhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2016, 11:47 AM   #8
Korrigan
GTX 980 Ti

Korrigan is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argoon1981 View Post
Will this stop the AMD drivers are bad myth? I don't think so.
AMD drivers stopped being bad when they introduced Catalyst. But the nVidia trolls won't let it go, of course, if though I also had some major issues with nVidia drivers.

Who cares. I'm excited by those news, and I can't wait to try out that new stuff coming from AMD... and with no damned registration like for nVidia.
CPU: Core I7 7700k @4.8ghz - GPU: GeForce GTX 980Ti G1 Gaming - RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Savage DDR4 3000 - Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z270X-Ultra-Gaming - PSU: Antec TruePower New 750W - Storage: Kingston SV300 480gb SSD and 2x1TB WD Velociraptor HDDs (Raid 0) - Main display: Philips 40PUK6809 4K 3D TV - Second display: Philips 27" 1ms Full HD LCD monitor - Soundcard: Pioneer VSX-322 AV Receiver HDMI linked with the GPU and the TV, with Jamo S 426 HS 3 5.0 speakers and Pioneer S-21W subwoofer - OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 bits.
Korrigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2016, 01:55 PM   #9
LordHawkwind
Not a fanboy or Nvidiot

LordHawkwind can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyLordHawkwind can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

ATI Technologies

Didn't see that about wattman for the Fury. Will deffo be interested in that.
Ryzen 7 2700, ASUS Prime X470 Pro, Sapphire Radeon Pulse 5700XT, 16GB Crucial DDR4 LPX 3000 Ram, Acer XF270HU freesync monitor at 1440p and 144hz, 250gb Samsung Evo 850 SSD, 750mb Seagate Momentus XT SSHD, 1 TB Samsung Spinpoint H/D, 850w PSU, Windows 10
Old Dec 7, 2016, 02:37 PM   #10
bittermann
I didn't do it

bittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Those who actually spend time using their AMD drivers as intended know they've been good for quite a while. I'm glad they continue to focus on improvements. This release looks really good.
Old Dec 8, 2016, 07:00 AM   #11
LordHawkwind
Not a fanboy or Nvidiot

ATI Technologies

Hey Spyre when are these supposed top be dropping?
Old Dec 8, 2016, 07:56 AM   #12
Lurk
Going Nowhere Fast

Lurk can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyLurk can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Default Radeon Software Crimson ReLive edition 16.12.1

New ReLive drivers available.
Link to release notes, download links halfway through page as usual.

http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-arti...ase-Notes.aspx

Enjoy
Lurk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2016, 07:57 AM   #13
Lurk
Going Nowhere Fast

Lurk can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyLurk can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Lurk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2016, 08:31 AM   #14
LordHawkwind
Not a fanboy or Nvidiot

ATI Technologies

Downloaded it just now. Wattman looks awful compared to the old software. It doesn't look very intuitive at all. I have to go out shortly so might have a play later. Where are the new supposed freesync controls?
Old Dec 8, 2016, 09:26 AM   #15
bittermann
I didn't do it

bittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Arstechnica has a nice little write up on the new drivers and enhancements. Good read.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/...ails-download/
Old Dec 8, 2016, 10:36 AM   #16
Kombatant
K to the max!™

Kombatant can recite pi backwardsKombatant can recite pi backwardsKombatant can recite pi backwardsKombatant can recite pi backwardsKombatant can recite pi backwardsKombatant can recite pi backwardsKombatant can recite pi backwards

Subscriber

Merged the two threads
Old Dec 8, 2016, 10:41 AM   #17
LordHawkwind
Not a fanboy or Nvidiot

ATI Technologies

That's boring. For a much more in depth look read this.

http://techreport.com/review/31077/r...on-an-overview

No improvements for me but as long as it hasn't borked my freesync I'll keep them. I'll try some games later. The new chill feature doesn't appear to be even a work in progress
Old Dec 8, 2016, 12:21 PM   #18
noko
Radeon Arctic Islands

noko once held a door open for a complete strangernoko once held a door open for a complete strangernoko once held a door open for a complete strangernoko once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHawkwind View Post
Downloaded it just now. Wattman looks awful compared to the old software. It doesn't look very intuitive at all. I have to go out shortly so might have a play later. Where are the new supposed freesync controls?
Just the opposite for me, Wattman looks great! I like that you can record data per game, setup per game etc. Plus it has voltage control for my Nano which makes it very convenient.
noko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2016, 12:24 PM   #19
bittermann
I didn't do it

If the only complaints so far are the aesthetics or layout of the new drivers maybe that's a good thing.
Old Dec 8, 2016, 12:49 PM   #20
noko
Radeon Arctic Islands

noko once held a door open for a complete strangernoko once held a door open for a complete strangernoko once held a door open for a complete strangernoko once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by bittermann View Post
If the only complaints so far are the aesthetics or layout of the new drivers maybe that's a good thing.
Aesthetics overall blows away Nvidia drivers 5 to 1. Each their own I guess.

To me Wattman is self explanatory and easy to setup fan profiles, clocking zones with each one having a set voltage etc. - it's fantastic! While being uber easy at the same time as being very compact.
Ryzen 1700x 3.9ghz, Thermaltake Water 2.0 Pro, Asus CrossHair 6 Hero 9, 16gb DDR4 3200 @ 3466, EVGA 1080 Ti, 950w PC pwr & cooling PS, 1TB NVMe Intel SSD M2 Drive + 256mb Mushkin SSD + 512gb Samsung 850evo M.2 in enclosure for Sata III and 2x 1tb WD SATA III, 34" Dell " U3415W IPS + 27" IPS YHAMAKASI Catleap. Win10 Pro

Custom SFF built case, I7 6700k OC 4.4ghz, PowerColor R9 Nano,, 1TB NVMe Intel SSD M2 Drive, 16gb DDR 4 3000 Corsair LPX, LG 27" 4K IPS FreeSync 10bit monitor, Win 10
noko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2016, 01:47 PM   #21
Korrigan
GTX 980 Ti

Korrigan is still being judged by the masses

It's still missing the detailed video settings you had in the catalysts, but I like the rest. I hope they'll add those settings back in a near future.
CPU: Core I7 7700k @4.8ghz - GPU: GeForce GTX 980Ti G1 Gaming - RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Savage DDR4 3000 - Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z270X-Ultra-Gaming - PSU: Antec TruePower New 750W - Storage: Kingston SV300 480gb SSD and 2x1TB WD Velociraptor HDDs (Raid 0) - Main display: Philips 40PUK6809 4K 3D TV - Second display: Philips 27" 1ms Full HD LCD monitor - Soundcard: Pioneer VSX-322 AV Receiver HDMI linked with the GPU and the TV, with Jamo S 426 HS 3 5.0 speakers and Pioneer S-21W subwoofer - OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 bits.

Last edited by Korrigan : Dec 8, 2016 at 02:16 PM.
Korrigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2016, 02:32 PM   #22
rms
Radeon R420

rms is still being judged by the masses

Cool

Yay! Did the clean install option without Relive. Went smoothly (FuryX). Waiting eagerly for Zen + Vega!

Hope Rage3D does a new feature article on these latest developments! 2017 is looking to be a great year for AMD!!
rms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2016, 04:53 PM   #23
Kombatant
K to the max!™

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHawkwind View Post
The new chill feature doesn't appear to be even a work in progress
Meaning?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Korrigan View Post
It's still missing the detailed video settings you had in the catalysts, but I like the rest. I hope they'll add those settings back in a near future.
That's the reason I asked you guys to specify features you want added (or re-added), so that they can enter the pipeline.
Old Dec 8, 2016, 05:13 PM   #24
Skynet
Banned

Skynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kombatant View Post
Meaning?
Meaning a real software dev teams gets it right the first time. 1.0 is the first and last version.
Skynet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2016, 05:30 PM   #25
Argoon1981
Radeon Northern Islands

Argoon1981 once held a door open for a complete strangerArgoon1981 once held a door open for a complete strangerArgoon1981 once held a door open for a complete strangerArgoon1981 once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skynet View Post
Meaning a real software dev teams gets it right the first time. 1.0 is the first and last version.
That is bs and imo an unreasonable demand, not even Nvidia, Microsoft, Apple or AAA game houses, ect get it right the first time, all software needs a maturation time out in the wild, testing in house can only do so much, there's a zoo of pc configs out there that is impossible to know how the software will behave in all of them.
Creative SB Audigy 4
W10 64bits

My modeling portfolio
Argoon1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2016, 06:29 PM   #26
LordHawkwind
Not a fanboy or Nvidiot

ATI Technologies

Quote:
Originally Posted by noko View Post
Aesthetics overall blows away Nvidia drivers 5 to 1. Each their own I guess.

To me Wattman is self explanatory and easy to setup fan profiles, clocking zones with each one having a set voltage etc. - it's fantastic! While being uber easy at the same time as being very compact.
It doesn't work for me. If I overclock 1% it craps out with wattman error, recovers, craps out and goes back to desktop. I do have Sapphire Trix installed. So what is with all this dynamic mv and Pstate stuff. How do you overclock with this POS?
Old Dec 8, 2016, 06:57 PM   #27
LordHawkwind
Not a fanboy or Nvidiot

ATI Technologies

"AMD Officially Launches Biggest Radeon Software Package Ever – Crimson ReLive Edition 16.12.1"

Really for whom? Maybe they mean the size of the download Not for me that's for sure. Wattman is crap for the Fury Pro, Chill is a joke for most games and I'm not remotely interested in Relive. The only positive thing is it's not borked my freesync which other updates did. Disappointed from near Manchester UK!
Old Dec 8, 2016, 07:25 PM   #28
bittermann
I didn't do it

Tom's Hardware shows Chill in action for those that don't think it's a joke. Those screaming about AMD power consumption compared to NV might be interested. It's not a miracle worker but there are power savings to be had.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...ve,4846-2.html
Old Dec 8, 2016, 07:46 PM   #29
Decat38
Radeon R100

Decat38 is still being judged by the masses

AMD Amd Radeon R9 with Relive drivers so far.

Just wanted to say I'm loving the new drivers for my r9 390x. I did notice a problem with these drivers. While playing Titan's Quest Anniversary Edition, my notification pop up to remind me of a tv show coming on. Then my screen went black. I couldn't access the task manager either. Had to do a hard restart to fix the problem. Hope this bug can be ironed out.
Decat38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2016, 10:36 PM   #30
nutcrackr
OT Moderator

nutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Assuming they steadily add more games to Chill, and improve it more, it could end up being a handy little feature.

Good to see the ReLive doesn't impact performance much. Did anybody test out h.264 vs h.265?
nutcrackr is offline   Reply With Quote