Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Community and Site Discussions » Off Topic Lounge » Home Theaters and Photography
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Home Theaters and Photography Discussion forum for Home Theater enthusiasts and newbies. Also the place to discuss and post your photography ventures and queries.

Old Apr 7, 2020, 01:27 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

OverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwards

Subscriber
Default Atmos - Windows/PC Gaming

Anyone here using Atmos through a home theater system with their PC for Windows use and gaming?

I think it was working (I didn't have to do anything special) in Far Cry 5, but I've uninstalled it already and can't verify. I may install again to check. For Resident Evil 2, my receiver never shows that Atmos is working.

I downloaded the Atmos app for windows and ran the Home Theater setup option, and from that point on it worked every time I loaded up the game. However, after a couple days my PC would boot with no audio at all. The only way to recover was to run the Atmos app setup again. I eventually got disgusted with it and uninstalled the app. The audio didn't work the first time after rebooting, but some troubleshooting led me to an error where it had the wrong sound function chosen for my device (parahprasing from bad memory). Anyway, it's worked perfectly fine since then.

So, my question. Is anybody using Atmos for PC gaming and what did you do to get it to work properly? The Windows app is apparently garbage, and some searching showed a lot of users with the same problem I had.
Old Apr 7, 2020, 03:56 PM   #2
Higgy10

Higgy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverclockN' View Post
Anyone here using Atmos through a home theater system with their PC for Windows use and gaming?

I think it was working (I didn't have to do anything special) in Far Cry 5, but I've uninstalled it already and can't verify. I may install again to check. For Resident Evil 2, my receiver never shows that Atmos is working.

I downloaded the Atmos app for windows and ran the Home Theater setup option, and from that point on it worked every time I loaded up the game. However, after a couple days my PC would boot with no audio at all. The only way to recover was to run the Atmos app setup again. I eventually got disgusted with it and uninstalled the app. The audio didn't work the first time after rebooting, but some troubleshooting led me to an error where it had the wrong sound function chosen for my device (parahprasing from bad memory). Anyway, it's worked perfectly fine since then.

So, my question. Is anybody using Atmos for PC gaming and what did you do to get it to work properly? The Windows app is apparently garbage, and some searching showed a lot of users with the same problem I had.
hmm never tried for gaming yet, didnt even know there were atmos enabled games
CFX 290
Acer Predator x34 21:9
Intel x25-m 80gb ssd and 500gb SSD
2x1tb WD Black in raid0
Higgy10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2020, 07:55 PM   #3
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

OverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwards

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgy10 View Post
hmm never tried for gaming yet, didnt even know there were atmos enabled games
They sound amazing.

There are a decent amount of PC games that support it now, and XBox One X also has support for it.

Resident Evil 2 is exceptionally good. You can hear scrapes, bumps, and shuffles all around you and above you. It's especially nerve racking when you hear Mr X thumping on your ceiling as he wanders the rooms in the floor directly over you.
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Apr 8, 2020, 03:03 PM   #4
Kain
Radeon Caribbean Islands

Kain once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Kain once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Kain once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Kain once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Kain once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Kain once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

If you connect an NVIDIA graphics card to a A/V receiver or processor through HDMI, can you get Atmos? I am asking because, if I am not mistaken, NVIDIA graphics cards can output audio as well.
Intel Core i7-3930K | Corsair Hydro Series H100i PRO | GIGABYTE GA-X79-UD3 | 16 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR3 2133 MHz | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 GAMING | Creative Sound Blaster AE-9 | Crucial m4 256 GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2 TB | Pioneer BDR-206DBK | EVGA SuperNOVA 850 P2 | Corsair Obsidian Series 650D | ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | 2 x JBL LSR305 + 1 x JBL LSR310S | Microsoft SideWinder X4 | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | SteelSeries QcK mini | Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Kain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2020, 06:27 PM   #5
Higgy10

Higgy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kain View Post
If you connect an NVIDIA graphics card to a A/V receiver or processor through HDMI, can you get Atmos? I am asking because, if I am not mistaken, NVIDIA graphics cards can output audio as well.
yes movies work fine here
CFX 290
2x1tb WD Black in raid0
Old Apr 8, 2020, 08:36 PM   #6
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

Yeah, the audio is pass-through in the card through the HDMI cable.

However, it's one aspect of it I don't understand. If it's straight pass-through, why is atmos an issue? You still need to select stereo, 5.1, 7.1, and atmos through the sound properties on the PC...so I guess it's still choosing what audio signal to send out to the receiver?
Old Apr 9, 2020, 06:53 AM   #7
Higgy10

Quote:
Yeah, the audio is pass-through in the card through the HDMI cable.

However, it's one aspect of it I don't understand. If it's straight pass-through, why is atmos an issue? You still need to select stereo, 5.1, 7.1, and atmos through the sound properties on the PC...so I guess it's still choosing what audio signal to send out to the receiver?
it still needs a proper audio decoder for it. MadVR+LAV audio filter
CFX 290
2x1tb WD Black in raid0
Old Apr 9, 2020, 09:18 AM   #8
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

Quote:
it still needs a proper audio decoder for it. MadVR+LAV audio filter
Huh? For PC games?

I don't use my PC for movies, ever.

Last edited by OverclockN' : Apr 9, 2020 at 11:08 AM.
OverclockN' is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2020, 12:35 PM   #9
Higgy10

Quote:
Huh? For PC games?

I don't use my PC for movies, ever.
aha well me bad
CFX 290
2x1tb WD Black in raid0
Old Apr 9, 2020, 01:49 PM   #10
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

Quote:
aha well me bad
OK, I just wasn't sure what you meant since it's the first time I've heard of that software. I use my TV app for Netflix/Prime and my 4k player for everything else.
Old Apr 10, 2020, 10:55 AM   #11
Higgy10

Quote:
OK, I just wasn't sure what you meant since it's the first time I've heard of that software. I use my TV app for Netflix/Prime and my 4k player for everything else.
madvr is a video decoder(i use mpc-hc) best quality imo and only program that handles hdr properly

lav is a the audio decoder, supports all the dolby and dts options plus everything else under the sun
CFX 290
2x1tb WD Black in raid0
Old Apr 30, 2020, 02:36 PM   #12
barleystout
Radeon R700

barleystout once held a door open for a complete strangerbarleystout once held a door open for a complete strangerbarleystout once held a door open for a complete strangerbarleystout once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quick question concerning Dolby Atmos for headphones.

Does this work if I'm sending it through an external DAC?

If I enable Dolby Atmos for headphones in Sound Control for the Schiit Modi, does that correctly pass through the Modi?

Hope that makes sense.
barleystout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2020, 09:33 PM   #13
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Trunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird sings

Subscriber

It should. No reason it shouldn't

System:
Gigabyte Z87X D3H - Intel i5 4670k @ 4.2Ghz - CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Black RGB - 16Gb Kingston HyperX Black DDR3-1600 - Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD±RW - Samsung 850 Evo 250Gib - 4TiB Seagate - Asus Radeon R9 Fury STRIX - X-Fi XtremeMusic(darkside lives on) - Windows 10 64-bit
Trunks0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2020, 04:04 PM   #14
Athena
Radeon Caribbean Islands

Athena once held a door open for a complete strangerAthena once held a door open for a complete strangerAthena once held a door open for a complete strangerAthena once held a door open for a complete stranger

What would be the point of "Atmos" below 7.1 on headphones 2.0? O_o

Biden noted in his reply that the COVID-19 cure “will make the problem worse, no matter what.”
Athena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2020, 02:43 PM   #15
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Trunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird sings

Subscriber

It does a virtual multi-channel surround thing, only with more channels I think if available??? So it's like Creative Labs CMSS-3D, Windows Sonic for Headphones or as the feature was originally called by Dolby them selves, Dolby Headphone.

Can be pretty handy when a game doesn't have good 3D positional audio.

System:
Gigabyte Z87X D3H - Intel i5 4670k @ 4.2Ghz - CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Black RGB - 16Gb Kingston HyperX Black DDR3-1600 - Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD±RW - Samsung 850 Evo 250Gib - 4TiB Seagate - Asus Radeon R9 Fury STRIX - X-Fi XtremeMusic(darkside lives on) - Windows 10 64-bit
Old May 26, 2020, 06:44 PM   #16
xCLAVEx
Not gone

xCLAVEx once held a door open for a complete strangerxCLAVEx once held a door open for a complete strangerxCLAVEx once held a door open for a complete strangerxCLAVEx once held a door open for a complete stranger

My laptop came with Atmos for it's speakers and it actually takes definition away from the sounds in a lot of cases. I had to really fiddle with the manual settings for it to sound decent.

"Be careful what you say, not everybody is open minded"

"If Fascism Ever Comes to America, It Will Come in the Name of Liberalism -Ronald Reagan"
xCLAVEx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2020, 10:59 PM   #17
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Subscriber

Yea I've never found it to be the best of these types of tech(It tries to hard to simulate a room imho). But it can serve a purpose.

System: