Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Graphics Technology Forums » Legacy ATI Discussion and Technical Support » AIW / Multimedia Discussion and Technical Support
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

AIW / Multimedia Discussion and Technical Support Discussion and support forum for all of the All-In-Wonder Radeon cards, the TV-Wonder, Remote Wonder I and II, the new HDTV Wonder, and basically anything with VIVO support.

Old Dec 24, 2006, 04:59 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Shark
Pain

Shark is still being judged by the masses

Default I want to record every damn VHS tape i have got on my PC?

basically what do I need?

and from TV as well.
Old Dec 24, 2006, 10:15 AM   #2
Steve N
Radeon R420

Steve N is still being judged by the masses

We have to start with "What do you have?" Is your Radeon a VIVO (video in video out)? This would give you inputs for a VCR. Just use an RCA cable to hook your VCR to the card. Then you need software, Windows Movie Maker will do it, or many other programs. You may run into problems with copyright protection, this can be dealt with somewhat using older drivers (if possible) but we'll get to that if/when you run into it.
Steve N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2006, 10:54 AM   #3
Shark
Pain

my card doesnt have VIVO...isnt there an external one?
do the recent ards from nVIDIA have VIVO?I think i read 2 years ago that ATI stopped making VIVO cards such as AiW series.
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Dec 24, 2006, 11:11 AM   #4
SciDoctor
Radeon Northern Islands

SciDoctor is still being judged by the masses

Buy a dedicated capture card that is within your budget, some will also have hardware encoding onboard.

Do not buy an AIW just for this as the software support is poor and you can not guarantee that the compatability with your other hardware will give you trouble free and good captures.
Old Dec 24, 2006, 02:11 PM   #5
Steve N
Radeon R420

Steve N is still being judged by the masses

If you read "two years ago" that AIW's aren't being made, this was wrong. They're still on the shelves, we're thinking they might disappear soon. You don't need an AIW though.

Both ATI and NVidia have VIVO cards, I suggested it because if you had one, then you really don't need to get anything. Most, I think, cards have come with a VIVO version. So OK you don't have one, you need some way to feed video into your computer.

How much do you want to spend on this? You could buy a very cheap, couple year old pci card like an old tvwonder, it may not encode very fast most/all the work is happening in software by your cpu. If you have a lot of video tapes then a dedicated hardware card, like Pinnacle Studio, would be better but you also spend more.

Free software is pretty basic, but if you just want to capture it's fine. If you want to edit it, or reencode it to a different format then you want something better. Adobe Premier Elements is what I have, it's consumer level but pretty decent and more options and tools than I've found out how to use in a year.

The thing about getting a TV tuner card, after your project is done, you may still want to use it for other things, like, well, watching tv. If this is just a one time project and you don't care about later, spending some cash on a decent hardware capture card and then you could probably sell it to someone and recover some of your cash.

Last edited by Steve N : Dec 24, 2006 at 02:13 PM.
Steve N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2006, 11:44 PM   #6
Shark
Pain

what about this one?seems cheap to me
http://www.pinnaclesys.com/PublicSit...zzle+to+go.htm